***Official Political Discussion Thread***

No, I didn’t take part. You?

I think people should rely on advice from their hired medical professionals related to potential treatments—not politicians.

Do you typically get medical advice from politicians?
No, but I see that some of Trumps supporters took his advice and proceeded to drink cleaning agents. I was curious if you were die hard enough to do it.

No, but I see that some of Trumps supporters took his advice and proceeded to drink cleaning agents. I was curious if you were die hard enough to do it.

Not sure what advice you are talking about.

But I'm sorry to hear that adults drank cleaning agents.

But no, I was not one of them.

¨those comparing the matter to a football game should be able to recognize that football is played outdoors¨

:lol: never seen an organization throw an inb4 into a public statement, that´s bold and tangy.

I like all the comments too pointing out that a large outdoor football stadium could be used as a giant polling place :lol:

Voting is too risky, yet...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Do you typically get medical advice from politicians?
The problem is that the average person can't normally tell good medical advice (or sources or experts) apart from bad ones. Not for my sake, but from a public health perspective, I hope for politicians who point the public towards the medical experts and the advice of agencies like the CDC, FDA, or NIH without interference. Plus it's just damn annoying.

Imagine you're at Thanksgiving dinner and somebody goes down clutching their chest and Uncle Zelle is like, "No need to call an ambulance, I know how to handle this."

The problem is that the average person can't normally tell good medical advice (or sources or experts) apart from bad ones. Not for my sake, but from a public health perspective, I hope for politicians who point the public towards the medical experts and the advice of agencies like the CDC, FDA, or NIH without interference. Plus it's just damn annoying.

Imagine you're at Thanksgiving dinner and somebody goes down clutching their chest and Uncle Zelle is like, "No need to call an ambulance, I know how to handle this."

Annoying, I understand. Agree even.

But don't you agree that adults should be able to decipher medical advice from a doctor from a question to doctors about possible treatments from an elected official?

If not, I am really not sure that the elected official is really the cause of the issue.

Bless the folks still trying to have real conversation with magas.
My uncle is a convicted felon and MAGA. Low information guy, conspiracy theorist, skeptical of medicine. He’s the perfect mark. Apparently my Grandma just kicked him out of their house while he was visiting her talking that MAGA nonsense :lol:. Supporting a man who doesn’t even see you as human. He probably won’t even vote.

Americans are not exceptionally dumb or uneducated and yet Americans are notorious for ignoring science when it comes to politics.

I believe the reason for this Americans* are so enthrall to both religious and secular worship of wealth and we assume superior expertise in those with money than we do in experts.

When we combine all of the Bezos and Musk stanning with the prosperity gospel and our good old fashioned Protestant work ethic, we get a society where the wealthiest people are presumed to be the smartest. The wealthiest people, in our current system, tend to become wealthy by imposing massive externalities, be that related to human health, the health of the biosphere or the health of social relations and community.

Invariably, doctors, scientists, law professors, criminologists, economists (well, those of us not bought off by a Koch backed think tank at least) and other experts say things like precarious labor arrangement, fossil fuels, opening night clubs during a pandemic, mass urban real estate speculation, militarized police etc. create bad outcomes. What comes next are oil barons, private equity honchos, tech Bros, shipping magnates and all of their allies in media and politics telling the public to not listen to experts. Some times they will dangle the prospect of capital flight over the heads of a frightened and bewildered public but most of the time, the subtext is so strong, wealth makes you right, that it doesn’t need to be said out loud.

A good rule of thumb is that any time a talking head on the TV tells you to either sacrifice your body for something or they tell you to blame people with less wealth and social power than you, ignore them.

*I'm mostly talking bout white but wealth worshipping nihilism is not exclusively a white thing.

My uncle is a convicted felon and MAGA. Low information guy, conspiracy theorist, skeptical of medicine. He’s the perfect mark. Apparently my Grandma just kicked him out of their house while he was visiting her talking that MAGA nonsense :lol:. Supporting a man who doesn’t even see you as human. He probably won’t even vote.
Damn I didn't know Big Mama kicked Zel out again

aepps20 aepps20 you gonna have to let him sleep on your couch for a couple weeks until this blows over.

But don't you agree that adults should be able to decipher medical advice from a doctor from a question to doctors about possible treatments from an elected official?
"should" is the key word. But many adults can't. I've had to spend a lot of time explaining to relatives why something that Trump said or something that they read online is wrong and even dangerous. Thank god for Fauci because otherwise Trump and random youtube doctors would be their exclusive sources of medical info:

source.gif

Whether we blame the politicians, the voters, the media, social media, the schools, etc.? I think everybody shares in the blame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom