***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Miss every shot you don't take?

0fec0b00c9b4a6d6c8502137e552a1f4.jpg

He basically said, "The best way to stop drug abuse is by stopping drug abuse." Greatest orator in generations :pimp:

AMAZING SPEECH. DON'S sentiment ALONE will end drug abuse and defeat the opioid crisis. I'm sure BARSON and DEVOS BAE approve.

Ugh. :smh:
The opioid epidemic consists of a range of significant problems that will be hard to fix.
The first big problem I see is the overprescribing of strong painkillers. This is an issue Belgium had to deal with as well, and while we definitely haven't solved it, we've taken many steps to improve that situation. Over the counter codeine was banned, hospitals generally no longer give opiate prescriptions home to patients who have been released, more prescription monitoring, exhausting much more other options before even thinking of prescribing opiates, ...
You used to be prescribed a load of strong opiates for simple minor surgeries or even something as simple as wisdom teeth removal. Now it's hard to acquire an opiate prescription even for people like me. I'm 23, have a statute of disability and a chronic disease that involves 24/7 chronic pain. I'm on the maximum daily dosage of a medium strength opiate called Tramadol but despite complaints about inadequate pain relief over the years, I'm categorically denied from being prescribed anything stronger, by various different doctors. The common response was "we understand but we're simply not going to prescribe those kinds of painkillers to a 23 year old.", seeing as how the next step up my opiate ladder would be oxycodone.
But back to the original point, drastic changes in pain relief and prescription policy needs to come from within the medical community. Aside from banning over the counter codeine and increased electronic monitoring of prescriptions, there's no laws that forced all these doctors and hospitals to make these drastic changes regarding opioid painkillers.

I think that is first and foremost the most important step that needs to be taken. There's really no reason anyone should be getting home a percocet prescription or something similar for wisdom teeth removal. I happen to know quite a few Americans who have been given prescriptions as strong as Oxycodone for that. Over here you get some paracetamol for wisdom teeth removal. :lol:
The potential for addiction, whether physically or mentally, from prescribing those kind of painkillers is not to be underestimated. It's entirely possible to build up physical addiction in just 2-3 weeks of a relatively high dosage of a strong opiate. Usually takes longer than that but it does happen. And as I can personally testify, I could only describe that euphoric opiate high as being almost heavenly. So it's easy to see how someone could get hooked off strong opiates that weren't supposed to be prescribed for that person in the first place. And once you're physically addicted, it's very hard to get rid of that addiction. I can personally attest that opiate withdrawal is the worst hell I can imagine and I've had some very painful surgeries.
Prescribing Percocet, Vicodin, Oxycontin, ... unnecessary for minor complaints can easily lead to opiate addiction, even if the dosages are used responsibly. And I would assume that overprescription is the main reason for this epidemic.
Furthermore, there's also the build up of tolerance of course. In order to achieve the same effect, you gradually need a higher and higher dosage of opiates. And that's a very costly habit. While Morphine and Fentanyl are stronger than Oxycodone, they're not as readily available. And with Oxycontin being so expensive, the cheaper alternative is heroin.

I believe that is the root cause of the opioid epidemic, and that's what needs to be the primary target for improvement.
Of course there's the problem of that effort having to come from the medical community itself, and it has to be a united effort at that. Finding the right balance between adequate pain relief for those who really need it and overprescribing painkillers is also a tricky goal. Over here I don't believe we have been able to create that fine balance but overall it does a lot more good than bad. If some pain patients like me have to endure a bit more pain to reduce overprescription and addiction throughout the country then so be it.

Beyond that, there should also be much greater support for addiction rehabilitation and policy measures to help achieve that goal.
Clean needle programs for example. Look at what Mike Pence causing an HIV epidemic in his state as governor because a needle program was shut down.
Naloxone, commonly known as Narcan, should also be made available over the counter. It's a literal lifesaver and if you're in an environment where the opioid epidemic is strong, you never know when you might need some Narcan. What it does is blocking the opiate from binding with the opioid receptors in the brain. Regardless of the amount of the opiate circulating in the body, cutting off that interaction with the opioid receptors rendersi it completely useless. This process works very fast and it can "revive" people who have just taken a large overdose because it renders the opiate useless in such a short duration. That's why Narcan should be readily available over the counter for everyone.

• During a previous interview, Anthony Scaramucci suggested there was an ulterior motive behind Vice President Mike Pence's recent hire
  • Nick Ayers, a political campaign strategist with little to no federal government experience, was hired as Pence's chief of staff last mont
  • Pence railed against reporting that he was preparing for a 2020 presidential run, calling it "disgraceful and offensive"
"Why do you think Nick's there, bro?" Scaramucci said. "Are you stupid?"

"Why is Nick there?" Scaramucci asked. "Nick's there to protect the vice president because the vice president can't believe what the f--- is going on."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/anthony-scaramucci-dropped-bombshell-claim-044216733.html

bro...hahah...

He finna try to finesse a way to fire Pence :lol:

irrelevant to the last comment, but just wanted to ask you about Hillary. You mentioned the super predator comment, but you realize she said "the type of kids that are called super predators" and was talking about the types of people who kill, mostly, other african americans?

What are the bad things that the Clintons are tied to? Also why would you encourage others to vote for her and not be willing to vote for her yourself? Im just trying to understand the mind state.

Stupid leftist at the FBI believing in this silly Russia conspiracy theory. Smh

Do you think Trump AND his campaign didn't collude with Russia or just that Donald Trump is innocent? It seems like a lot of people working for and with him have had undisclosed meetings with important Russian people. Not much of a direct connection with Trump himself and Russia at this point (not that I think the distinction makes him innocent).

irrelevant to the last comment, but just wanted to ask you about Hillary. You mentioned the super predator comment, but you realize she said "the type of kids that are called super predators" and was talking about the types of people who kill, mostly, other african americans?

What are the bad things that the Clintons are tied to? Also why would you encourage others to vote for her and not be willing to vote for her yourself? Im just trying to understand the mind state.
Famb why are you defending the super predator comment.

Even Hillary doesn't do that, she apologized and said it was a mistake.

But they context she used it in had some strong racist connotations.

I got what her reference was but it was one of those dog whistle kinda deals. Even she doesn't agree with that choice of words and said she wouldn't say it again presently. The people who view all of our children as predators aren't making the distinction between gang members and the boy walking down the street after school, and phrases like super predator and thug etc are part of a larger problem.

I don't know what bad things the Clintons are tied to that are worse than things other politicians have done and are doing so I don't even really bring that stuff up. I lump many of them into one group of people who I place very limited trust in, no matter their political inclinations. I'm not a "both sides are the same" guy, but I am a "I don't trust none of these ******" guy.

I encouraged others to vote for her because Donald Trump is a cancer on this country and the world and I recognized it. I know it's kinda dumb to be like yeah go vote for this lady that I won't vote for, but that's how I felt. I respect many of the things she has done, especially as a woman in politics in an uphill battle, and what she continues to do but not enough to give her my vote. There are not many politicians who I would cast a vote for.

Her winning my state is the biggest stroke of luck cuz I would have felt like an ******* if she didn't :lol:

Do you think Trump AND his campaign didn't collude with Russia or just that Donald Trump is innocent? It seems like a lot of people working for and with him have had undisclosed meetings with important Russian people. Not much of a direct connection with Trump himself and Russia at this point (not that I think the distinction makes him innocent).
I was being facetious

Mocking the comments of Trump supporters.

Famb why are you defending the super predator comment.

Even Hillary doesn't do that, she apologized and said it was a mistake.

But they context she used it in had some strong racist connotations.

please enlighten me as the the racist undertones of the comment? I believe she was saying we need to clean the streets of gang members (mostly black) who are killing people of all colors (but mostly blacks), to benefit families and law abiding citizens of all colors (but mostly blacks).

I got what her reference was but it was one of those dog whistle kinda deals. Even she doesn't agree with that choice of words and said she wouldn't say it again presently. The people who view all of our children as predators aren't making the distinction between gang members and the boy walking down the street after school, and phrases like super predator and thug etc are part of a larger problem.

I don't know what bad things the Clintons are tied to that are worse than things other politicians have done and are doing so I don't even really bring that stuff up. I lump many of them into one group of people who I place very limited trust in, no matter their political inclinations. I'm not a "both sides are the same" guy, but I am a "I don't trust none of these *****s" guy.

I encouraged others to vote for her because Donald Trump is a cancer on this country and the world and I recognized it. I know it's kinda dumb to be like yeah go vote for this lady that I won't vote for, but that's how I felt. I respect many of the things she has done, especially as a woman in politics in an uphill battle, and what she continues to do but not enough to give her my vote. There are not many politicians who I would cast a vote for.

Her winning my state is the biggest stroke of luck cuz I would have felt like an ******* if she didn't :lol:

I understand where you're coming from, but why assume she's dog whistling? She doesn't come from money, plus she's a democrat, democrats can't win without the black vote. Some racists will take it that way but I don't think she's to blame for that. I feel as though blacks benefit most from the elimination of super predators.

Also, not things she has done worse than other presidents but she has a clean record in terms of things that have any sort of real proof. The email scandal and Benghazi if you really read all the facts is clearly just right wing media propoganda that somehow worked on so many democrats. John Oliver did a good comprehensive breakdown of the facts of her scandals that I think is worth watching if you haven't seen it already (should be on youtube).

please enlighten me as the the racist undertones of the comment? I believe she was saying we need to clean the streets of gang members (mostly black) who are killing people of all colors (but mostly blacks), to benefit families and law abiding citizens of all colors (but mostly blacks).

The undertones are in parentheses lol

Stuff like that are why there are people okay with our people being gunned down in the streets, guilty and sentenced to death before they're even placed under arrest.

You could lock up all the black gang members in the US and innocent black men and women would still be under scrutiny for simply existing.

Not coming from money and being a dem do not make you a friend of black people inherently. I've spoken about how I feel about some white liberals and their attitudes and actions on here before.

Back
Top Bottom