***Official Political Discussion Thread***

99FAEFD2-18AB-4DEE-A0D9-DD68197CEA0F.jpeg

A multipayer system like what Belgium has is a good way to provide good healthcare while still pleasing those who favor having the option of private insurance or keeping their private insurance granted by their employer.

Honestly I never understood the M4A stans. You'd think a multipayer system is an Orwellian corporate tyranny to these people.
Hardly any countries have a true single-payer healthcare system. Most countries with renowned healthcare systems have multipayer systems.

The health insurance giants, in America, are tyrannical. Thousands of Americans, with insurance, have medical bankruptcies every year. The big health insurance companies charge huge co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance, thus leaving people with thousands of dollars of debt over a single illness (keep in mind that most workers in the US cannot even cover a $400 emergency because they are squeezed so hard by low wages). In many instances, claims get straight up denied so you end up in six or seven figure debt. Moreover, while the ACA stopped it, memories still linger over the treatment of preexisting conditions and the fact that many had to pay out of pocket to treat their chronic health condition, a financial burden, at best, and a death sentence at worst.

So while I can understand the arguments for having private alternatives to complement what would otherwise be a single payer system, we have to consider the past and present behavior of America’s existing private insurers. They have to be eliminated.

Last edited:
The health insurance giants, in America, are tyrannical. Thousands of Americans, with insurance, have medical bankruptcies every year. The big health insurance companies charge huge co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance, thus leaving people with thousands of dollars of debt over a single illness (keep in mind that most workers in the US cannot even cover a $400 emergency because they are squeezed so hard by low wages). In many instances, claims get straight up denied so you end up in six or seven figure debt. Moreover, while the ACA stopped it, memories still linger over the treatment of preexisting conditions and the fact that many had to pay out of pocket to treat their chronic health condition, a financial burden, at best, and a death sentence at worst.

So while I can understand the arguments for having private alternatives to complement what would otherwise be a single payer system, we have to consider the past and present behavior of America’s existing private insurers. They have be eliminated.
I think the US also requires price controls on a lot of medical procedures, particularly things like ambulance rides, CT-scans, MRIs, X-rays, ...
If I were to choose to not invoke my insurance for a medical procedure, I would still only pay a fraction of the US cost of the equivalent procedure.

The point is a multipayer healthcare system isn't necessarily bad. As someone with a chronic disease who used to be poor, I am generally very satisfied with our system. In fact I would be opposed to Belgium hypothetically switching to a single-payer system.

Last edited:
A multipayer system like what Belgium has is a good way to provide good healthcare while still pleasing those who favor having the option of private insurance or keeping their private insurance granted by their employer.

Honestly I never understood the M4A stans. You'd think a multipayer system is an Orwellian corporate tyranny to these people.
Hardly any countries have a true single-payer healthcare system. Most countries with renowned healthcare systems are multi-payer systems.
While I agree that many people that advocate for M4A don't really understand how medical care is delivery in rest of the world, and there are other flaws in their argument I have touched on over the years.

But

They have a very powerful argument now, that has little to do with healthcare economics.

If the GOP and their judges won't let the Dems regulate the marketplace in a way that would yield reasonable service for people, if insurers are so heartless that they will try to bleed the poorest of person dry, then the Dems are left with the only option of moving toward single-payer system.

While I agree that many people that advocate for M4A don't really understand how medical care is delivery in rest of the world, and there are other flaws in their argument I have touched on over the years.

But

They have a very powerful argument now, that has little to do with healthcare economics.

If the GOP and their judges won't let the Dems regulate the marketplace in a way that would yield reasonable service for people, if insurers are so heartless that they will try to bleed the poorest of person dry, then the Dems are left with the only option of moving toward single-payer system.
Unless the Democrats somehow conjure up a supermajority in both chambers though, how does M4A ever get passed?
I don't think it's even possible to pass M4A in the first place.

Unless the Democrats somehow conjure up a supermajority in both chambers though, how does M4A ever get passed?
They don't have to pass Bernie's M4A programs. They can just pass a juiced up public option

And they need to stop caring about getting supermajority.

Win the trifecta, get rid of the filibuster, and just pass that ****. Hell, just drop the Medicare eligibility age to zero.

RIP to RGB

But...

That was extremely foolish on her end to not retire sooner.

Dems have to realize that Reps don't care about being friendly so they should not be looking to be all coombyya.

Even Biden still on that working together steez and he just needs to quit it.

Also, Rush Limbaugh was saying that the president was in a good mood on Thursday so they must have known something was up and she was dying.

That's what I saw someone posted who listens to him religiously.

RIP to RGB

But...

That was extremely foolish on her end to not retire sooner.

Dems have to realize that Reps don't care about being friendly so they should not be looking to be all coombyya.

Even Biden still on that working together steez and he just needs to quit it.

By sooner do you mean before 2014? I think that’s the only way it would have made a difference evaded on how what happened that year with the Senate then 2016 with the election.

Back
Top Bottom