***Official Political Discussion Thread***

i was at a big dinner with my wife’s family when it was trump vs clinton. my FIL said they cannot vote for a woman president and everyone was nodding in agreement. her family said that women cannot lead cause it’s written in the bible. i gave my wife a big frown but she was still under the voodoo of her evangelical upbringing. if she heard that now, she would flip out and start arguing. proud of her evolution but her family kinda blames me 😂
They couldn’t look around and find any examples of successful women leading in 2016?

I’m with Cuban on this one.

i was at a big dinner with my wife’s family when it was trump vs clinton. my FIL said they cannot vote for a woman president and everyone was nodding in agreement. her family said that women cannot lead cause it’s written in the bible. i gave my wife a big frown but she was still under the voodoo of her evangelical upbringing. if she heard that now, she would flip out and start arguing. proud of her evolution but her family kinda blames me 😂
Yeah, definitely understand this. Unfortunately, my in-laws and my parents have similar views.

I get it but blame you for what? What didn’t they get that they wanted in 2016?…

We can’t have women pastors, we just had the first Republican woman to win two primaries… I’m a big nuns should be guys guy

We have approx 500,000 elected officials. Is it simply a mix of lack of voter education + only about 60% of people vote that results in so many bad apples in that group of people?

Like do people seriously not know how bad some people are?

I’m asking seriously because I did California ballot and i didn’t really have much idea who anyone was besides knowing I’d heard some of the names randomly on adverts or somewhere. So even for me who is decently plugged in…if I find voting overwhelming I imagine for others they simply vote for the name they are familiar with and the party. Like I could have easily been voting for someone that’s a terrible person…i just don’t have any easy way to figure that out without a lot of time spent doing self research.

This can’t be the right way. It lets so many truly truly terrible people get into important government positions.

It’s so weird to me that like i can’t vote in a way where I click on something to vote. People pop up that are hyperlinked and I could read right there about their education, their prior voting stances, etc etc. It’s not made for educating during the process and it’s fully incumbent that you have to do research on your own separate to the voting.

We have approx 500,000 elected officials. Is it simply a mix of lack of voter education + only about 60% of people vote that results in so many bad apples in that group of people?

I’m asking seriously because I did California ballot and i didn’t really have much idea who anyone was besides knowing I’d heard some of the names randomly on adverts or somewhere. So even for me who is decently plugged in…if I find voting overwhelming I imagine for others they simply vote for the name they are familiar with and the party. Like I could have easily been voting for someone that’s a terrible person…i just don’t have any easy way to figure that out without a lot of time spent doing self research.

This can’t be the right way. It lets so many truly truly terrible people get into important government positions.

It’s so weird to me that like i can’t vote in a way where I click on something to vote. People pop up that are hyperlinked and I could read right there about their education, their prior voting stances, etc etc. It’s not made for educating during the process and it’s fully incumbent that you have to do research on your own separate to the voting.

One thing that Colorado does, is that it provides a voting info book along with the ballots that come in the mail. Any prepositions or amendments that are on the ballot are described as to what they do. It’s written in such a way to that they are neutral, and just give information on the topic. It’s really how voting should be in each state.

One thing that Colorado does, is that it provides a voting info book along with the ballots that come in the mail. Any prepositions or amendments that are on the ballot are described as to what they do. It’s written in such a way to that they are neutral, and just give information on the topic. It’s really how voting should be in each state.

I'm in LA county and we get that too, but it only covers state elections. For national or local, it directs you to a website. The local website is terrible, it looks like it runs from MS-DOS and the user interface/experience is annoying. For local officials/judges/school board etc. I ended up having to use Ballotpedia and/or their websites for any information. And I was actually looking, can't imagine the average citizen bothering enough to vote let alone do some e-legwork.

I'm in LA county and we get that too, but it only covers state elections. For national or local, it directs you to a website. The local website is terrible, it looks like it runs from MS-DOS and the user interface/experience is annoying. For local officials/judges/school board etc. I ended up having to use Ballotpedia and/or their websites for any information. And I was actually looking, can't imagine the average citizen bothering enough to vote let alone do some e-legwork.
The League of Women’s voters used to do a good job, but I haven’t used them in a while…

But, to a certain extent, yes, it’s the job of each citizen to remain informed. Arguably, local races matter most immediately as we can see from various state and local metrics.

Staying engaged does take work, but for most people the returns are likely better than their jobs. But more to the point, it’s each person’s civic responsibility. Society works better if every puts in the, say, 8 hours per year that this requires.

I really wish civics classes would come back to high school.

can someone explain why far left activist love protesting their closest allies?

it feels like

Donald Trump could announce that upon re-election he's going turn the entire gaza strip and it's inhabitants to ash with a hydrogen bomb...

and the next day there would still be activist chanting "genocide joe" at a Biden rally and nothing for Trump.

Derek Thompson has the best podcast out.

Back
Top Bottom