Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Originally Posted by M00DSWING7

Honestly, I would rather throw money at Josh Smith than Elton Brand. They are already a young team, so they might as well go with youth to build a nice future.

They don't need any more small forwards... They are jammed at that position already.

From last years squad all they needed was a low post presence.

Elton Brand is a better fit for the dubs, but without Baron they're lacking at PG now... Monta at point is not gonna work. Dude has a score first mentality... All he does is get buckets. Now your gonna take that away from him so he can set up the offense???
Mullin is a dumb %%% plain and simple... Letting Baron walk for nothing was the worst thing he can do.

I wonder what Nellie thinks about all this....

Are they? They have Jackson and Randolph. I don't see Jackson being apart of their future since he is getting older. Randolph is unproven. Josh Smith is 22. Elton Brand is 29. In a few years, would you rather have a stud in Josh Smith coming into his prime with the rest of the roster (Monta, Biedrins, Wright, Belinelli, Randolph), or would you rather have an aging Elton Brand?

They have Jackson, Barnes, Bellanelli, Azabuki, Harrington, Peitrus and now Randolph... They're not all SF's but they can all play that position.They basically have like 6 of the same type players.
Jax isn't that old either... He's 27 I think.
He just looks aged as hell.
laugh.gif

The Warriors had the youngest roster last year.

Elton Brand might be older but he's a true porfessional... Comes to work everyday and gets you 20 and 10. That's guaranteed stats. Warriors need tostop going after potential.

Originally Posted by GAS BREAK DIP

^ I would think the same.

I'm actually listening to Fitz & Brooks right now, and both of them believe that they wouldn't have offered the same amount the Clippers did. Both also believe that the Warriors shouldn't offer the 85-90 million to Elton Brand, nor the 100 mil to Gilbert because of their history with injuries. Rob Brooks stated that instead, they should go after Josh Smith, and both liked the idea of getting Hinrich & Gordon.

I'm listening too, actually.
laugh.gif

I don't like Hinrich, I could deal with Crawford....but we'll see.

Honestly, I would rather throw money at Josh Smith than Elton Brand. They are already a young team, so they might as well go with youth to build a nice future.

They don't need any more small forwards... They are jammed at that position already.

Elton Brand is a better fit for the dubs, but without Baron they're lacking at PG now... Monta at point is not gonna work. Dude has a score first mentality... All he does is get buckets. Now your gonna take that away from him so he can set up the offense???
Mullin is a dumb %%% plain and simple... Letting Baron walk for nothing was the worst thing he can do.

Are they? They have Jackson and Randolph. I don't see Jackson being apart of their future since he is getting older. Randolph is unproven. Josh Smith is 22. Elton Brand is 29. In a few years, would you rather have a stud in Josh Smith coming into his prime with the rest of the roster (Monta, Biedrins, Wright, Belinelli, Randolph), or would you rather have an aging Elton Brand?

They have Jackson, Barnes, Bellanelli, Azabuki, Harrington, Peitrus and now Randolph... They're not all SF's but they can all play that position. They basically have like 6 of the same type players.

We technically don't have Barnes and Pietrus. Hopefully we don't have Harrington for much longer. Jackson plays a SG/SF, so that'strue...Buike is more of two, probably can slate any of our two's at the SF but realistically he'd better suited at the two. Same with Bellanelli.

^Barnes is gone (I think Nellie said so already), and Buike isn't guaranteed to be here next year. And Harrington is probably going to be moved, sodefinitely I think a lot of movement will be made.

What's Crawford's contract #s? If it isn't anywhere near as bad as Hinrich's, it might not be a bad idea.

Barnes is a free agent, Azubuike is a free agent, Belinelli definitely isn't a SF. You act like Josh Smith is the same type of player that the rest ofthese guys are. Josh Smith gets boards, he blocks shots...something the Warriors definitely need.

Got me with the edit: Pietrus is a free agent too.

Crawford and Hinrich do not have friendly contracts

CRIT TO THE WARRIORS.
Do it Mullin

Crit is a very young player too.
Crawford is just not a winning player, all the teams he has ever have been on have sucked.
His career winning % is terrible.
Hinrich is still sitting on a loaded contract, even though it gets better towards the end.

Marko Jaric(need to take in a bad contract) and Crit for Harrington?
Does that work?

They have Jackson, Barnes, Bellainelli, Azabuki, Harrington, Peitrus and now Randolph... They're not all SF's but they can all play that position. They basically have like 6 of the same type players.

Barnes, PIEtrus, and AzUbUIKE are all FA's.

edit:
laugh.gif
damn

Yeah, Smith is definitely not that kind of player. And he is 22 years old. I don't see the harm in going after a guy like him that can really help our teamout. It's very worthwhile to at least try. I'd much rather have him than Brand at this point because he can grow along with the young core we have.

It would be crazy if we did get Elton away from the Clips
laugh.gif
. A part of me inside (that's still bitter about this whole situation) wants Elton to takethe cash with the Warriors and screw the Clippers over, but the smarter decision is to pry away Josh Smith from Atlanta. Dude's only 22 and would be agreat addition to this team. The problem with Josh Smith though is that Atlanta can match any offer, so it's no guarantee that we can get him. And if we doget him, it's going to be a price that Atlanta doesn't want to match, which would mean that we might have overpaid for him.

Damn didn't know the Warriors had so many expiring contracts... Yeah they might not be a factor for awhile then.

My fault...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Crawford and Hinrich do not have friendly contracts

CRIT TO THE WARRIORS.
Do it Mullin

Crit is a very young player too.
Crawford is just not a winning player, all the teams he has ever have been on have sucked.
His career winning % is terrible.
Hinrich is still sitting on a loaded contract, even though it gets better towards the end.

Marko Jaric(need to take in a bad contract) and Crit for Harrington?
Does that work?

I would definitely look into if I was Chris Wallace. Harrington does fill a need if he's willing to be a backup behind Rudy. They could also try him atPF. His contract comes off the books at the end of the 09/10 season so it wouldn't necessarily hurt us especially being able to get rid of Jaric. I'mpretty sure Memphis would look to deal Lowry before Crit, but its not a bad deal.

More from Tim Kawasaki jet ski's:

* Updated! Fixed.
As Janny Hu reports at the Chron site, and as makes sense if you're the Warriors, if just to stir up the Clippers' sense of well being, apparently the Warriors have told free agent Elton Brand that they'll offer him the maximum they're allowed-by my calculations, five years worth about $94M.

You had to figure that Chris Mullin's immediate reactions in the wake of Baron Davis' bolt to the Clippers and the opening up of all that Warriors' potential cap space were:

1) Call up Gilbert Arenas, tell him you'll offer him the max if he spurns the Wizards.

2) At the same time, call up Brand, tell him you'll offer him the max if he spurns the Clippers.

Whoever agrees first, gets the Warriors' money.

Problems with both: Washington can offer Arenas $30M or so more than the Warriors' best possible deal; the Clippers can offer Brand about $25M more than the Warriors' best possible.

(The current teams of F/As always can offer bigger raises and a six-year deal instead of a five-year deal. New teams can offer a maximum of five years.)

Now, Washington and Arenas is interesting because Arenas loved his short time with the Warriors, has a relationship with Mullin (when Mullin was a special assistant parallel to St. Jean), and… well, Gilbert is mercurial, to say the least.

But he took the most money when he signed with the Wizards in 2003 and I'd have to believe he'll take the most money from the Wizards this year. (OK, after the Baron Debacle, I'm always going to give myself wiggle room. He's Gilbert. You never know.)

Brand and the Clippers is supremely interesting, because I am not presuming that Brand and his agent, David Falk, were the ones who set up the whole Baron-opts-out/Brand-opts-out both land with the Clips in a package deal scenario.

Reports say Brand was/is going to take a deal worth about $13.5M per over six (about $81M total) and that Baron's deal is five years at $13M per ($65M total).

* ADDED (Sorry, screwed this up in an earlier version-dumb, because I got it right two days ago and yesterday) : It's important that Brand takes less than $15M per AND signs with the Clips before Baron signs because Brand's CAP HOLD as a free agent is larger than that, and the only way the Clippers can fit Baron in starting at $11M is if Brand's deal starts right around $12M or so.

Well, the Warriors can and might have already offered Brand more than $18M per over five and about $13M in total worth above the Clippers' proposed deal.

If Brand does not take that deal, and the Baron numbers can't be manipulated lower… either Brand is walking away from $12M (the difference between a Warriors' max offer and the Clippers with-Baron max offer) or Baron gets less than he expected from the LACs or the Clippers will have to pay Brand more and use the sign-and-trade route to get Davis.

But that's mostly just a shot across the Clippers' bow: Assuming the Clippers officially sign Davis first on July 9, they then can re-sign Brand above and beyond the salary cap.

Here's where it gets interesting!

The Clips might be limited by their own budget qualms and maybe they are. But, if they're determined too keep Brand, and I'm sure they are, they can offer Brand the same starting salary that the Warriors can (105% of his last salary, so the new starting salary would be $16.11M), higher annual raises ($1.69M vs. $1.29M) and tack on that last year (at $24.56M) if they want.

I'm not saying the Clippers would love to do this. And, if Falk jiggered this deal, it's unlikely that he'd throw out everything he tacitly agreed to just because the Warriors went mega-money on the Clips' forehead.

Brand wants to stay in LA. Brand wants to play with Baron. They did this together. It's still an entertaining move by Mullin and the Warriors, but the most likely result is that Brand gets more than the Clippers thought and/or Baron gets slightly less.

I think the Warriors would be just fine if the major result is that last part.

Or it could toss the whole thing back into sign-and-trade world for Davis or back to the table with the Warriors or… I dunno… I think I'm going to have to correct some more things on this post soon.

Random Josh Smith video I cam across...

Dude would be sick w/ the Warriors.
pimp.gif
�If him & Monta were playingevery night together, it would be�a slam dunk contest�every game. �

Overpaying for a 22 year old who does things that we didn't have before would be better than overpaying an injury prone PG, etc.

I really like Smith, but we'll see.

I'd imagine we're trying to get a decent PG with a decent contract.

I really don't want to take on a bad one or that will negate the whole financial scheme we've been trying to build (inadvertently or not)

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Overpaying for a 22 year old who does things that we didn't have before would be better than overpaying an injury prone PG, etc.

I really like Smith, but we'll see.

I'd imagine we're trying to get a decent PG with a decent contract.

I really don't want to take on a bad one or that will negate the whole financial scheme we've been trying to build (inadvertently or not)

I agree. I'd make it a priority to go after Smith and one of Memphis' extra pg's, and resign Ellis and Bierdrins.

I'd stay as far away from Crawford as possible. Jaric and Hinrich's contracts are disgusting so I wouldn't touch those either.

Smith would do so much for us defensively...Randolph may be shafted of some PT, but when you have a chance to add someone like that who's only 22 yearsold, you have to give it a shot. He's meeting with Philly I think; I don't know if Philly is going to sign both Smith and Iggy to huge contractsthough...

And I like that Harrington for Crit kind of deal. We'll have to take on a bad salary in order to do it though...

J. Smith brings height and Defense to the team.

Where would you put him?

He's not a PF, and would you make SJax come off the bench or move him to the 2 and have Monta run the 1.

Then who's your stating PF? Wright?

Monta
SJax
J. Smith
Wright
Beans

Thats a nice defensive squad who can run the hell out of teams. Then have some spark plugs off the bench, Marco, Pietrus(if he resigns), Randolph, Al.

KEEP WATSON !! HE IS LIKE THE ONLY VEGAS NATIVE IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW.

Give CJ some time at the point, he is capable.

^Yea, that would be the starting lineup (assuming we get rid of Harrington). Jackson play 2 or 3. That's a nice defensive team (well except at the pointguard position)

Smith isn't a true PF, but that's never stopped Nellie before, and he'd still be more viable at that position with production than anyone else wehave.

Harrington for Crittenton... Make it happen Mullin! Yeah, we have to take on a bad contract and my first thought was Marko Jaric would seem like a good shooterto put on this team, but he's shooting 40.8% for his whole career from the field
laugh.gif
. But we may have to do it to pull it off
ohwell.gif

Y'all are fogetting the key component to why JSmooth would be the perfect addition to the GSW roster.

He's left handed.

Do it Mullin!

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Smith isn't a true PF, but that's never stopped Nellie before, and he'd still be more viable at that position with production than anyone else we have.
Agreed.

+ Think of all the highlight plays...
pimp.gif
. J-Smith movement, let'sgoooooo.

Back
Top Bottom