Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by SantaRosaWarriorFan

First off, if Big Gay Al could have netted us young talent and a first rounder I think he would have been moved already. The problem with getting young talent is that Al's contract is so large( due nearly $20mil for the next 2 years) is that we'd have to take back another big $ player to make the contracts match. What you are going to get for Al is players to deepen our bench.
I used the trade checker on realgm and came up with several deals for Al:
To Charlotte for Ray Felton and Nazr Mohomad
To NJ for Josh Boone, Marcus Williams, Trenton Hassell/Stromile Swift
To Orlando for Keith Bogans, JJ Reddick, Brian Cook

Those trades would help solidify our bench and still give us cap room. It seems like EVERY team is trying to generate cap room for summer 2010, thats when Lebron, Wade, etc are free agents. That is why I am a proponent of keeping stephan jackson as our captain, leader, vet. He relished that position last year. If he isn't in for a bit of a rebuild then we quietly shop him. For everyone worrying, don't. I think the Warriors are in a position that they want to be in. We have a team that will be competitive and fight for the 8 spot. If you remember Monta did most of the pg/ball handling toward the end of last year. Don't panic it is going to be okay.

Harrington for Felton and Nazr?
pimp.gif
I'd do that in a heartbeat.

It's late. But I can't get one nagging question out of my mind:

How did Baron Davis know-REALLY KNOW-that there was $65M of Clipper money waiting for him if he opted out? How did he know that if he didn't know what Elton Brand would get and demand and if he didn't know what the Clippers would pay for either?

Now you can all scream BECAUSE THE CLIPPERS TAMPERED with Baron before his June 30 opt-out deadline, and I guess I'd have to acknowledge the possibility.

But that doesn't sound Clipper-like to me. I really haven't ever heard of any Clippers executive being savvy/devious enough to go to two separate stars and figure out exactly the procedure (wait, say you're staying, opt-out, wham) and the price for a double-signing.

Maybe Jerry West could do that. Danny Ainge sort of did that, in a delayed fashion, with Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, but that involved trades, not signings, per se. I just don't see Elgin Baylor or Donald T. Sterling or Andy Roeser or even Mike Dunleavy Sr. pulling all of that off with Brand and Davis.

I thought about this and thought about this. I talked to people. Read the stories. Analyzed the personalities. And now I've decided:

Brand's agent, David Falk, is the candidate to have masterminded this.

I'm saying if any one person put this together (and this has all the ear-marks of a one-genius creation), it was Falk, who formerly was the most powerful agent in the world back when his client Michael Jordan was winning championships.

Now Falk has one star client and his name is Brand. Falk very much has the will and the determination to move mountains for Brand, like Falk used to move mountains for Jordan.

And Brand wants to win but he also wants to stay in LA, to tend to his budding movie-making career. So happens that Davis is an LA kid also with a burgeoning movie career.

If Brand wants another star on the team, Falk is just being a good agent if he calls around and sees who's out there. If he checks the opt-out list and sees Davis' name. If he knows that Davis is interested in ending up in LA at some point.

If Falk happens to call up Davis' agent Todd Ramasar to chat about both players' interests, that's not tampering-no team is involved. If Falk tells Ramasar that Brand might take a six-year deal from the Clips averaging $16M if Davis would take a five-year deal averaging $13M, it's only hypotheticals.

If Falk then goes to the Clippers and tells them he can present a Brand/Baron package for an average of $29M, take it or leave it… that's only an agent looking out for what's best for his client.

If Davis and Ramasar like the idea and sit quietly and wait for Brand to opt-out of his deal before they steathily opt-out of Davis' deal, that's only strategy.

[h1]Warriors make big offer to Brand, sources say[/h1]

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

(07-02) 10:19 PDT -- The Clippers lured away the Warriors' best player.

Now Golden State is hoping to return the favor.

Flush with cap space after Davis' sudden exit, the Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million, according to league sources.

Brand, like Davis, opted out of the final year of his contract just before Monday's deadline, giving up a guaranteed $16.4 million for next season. At the time, Brand's agent, David Falk, told reporters that the move was designed to create some cap flexibility for the Clippers to add another top-line player.

The Clippers did just that by agreeing to terms with Davis on a five-year contract worth about $65 million Tuesday, though the deal cannot be finalized until July 9.

However, that means the most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions - about $20 million less than the Warriors.

Brand, who had been close to re-signing with the Clippers, is expected to make a decision today.

Golden State had previously gone after Wizards guards Gilbert Arenas, offering him a maximum contract of five years at roughly $100 million on Monday night after learning that Davis would be opting out.

The Warriors are also meeting with representatives for Monta Ellis in Oakland today to begin negotiations on a new contract for the restricted free agent.

WOW if we get Brand!!! We still need a PG and need to create some room in the frontcourt. Sadly, I still think hes going to stay with the Clippers

I agree, I think its just us trying to "save some face" by offering something to a solid player.

I'd rather be on the phone with Josh Smith's people.

If we can't sign him cause Atlanta matches any offer we should at least offer a ridiculously large contract and screw them
laugh.gif

apparantly the Warriors offered Brand a 5 year 85-90 mil
eek.gif

That's 20 mil more than the Clippers can offer
laugh.gif

I don't think he'll sign with the Warriors, but imagine
roll.gif

Im not getting my hopes up at all, but with all this Warriors offer Elton a contract, and the sign and trade with the Heat chatter.......is it POSSIBLE thatBaron pulls a Boozer with the Clippers and comes back?

The article on Real GM says Brand is expected to make his decision today. If he signs with the Warriors, it will cap a crazy three days...
laugh.gif

Watch Baron pull the 'ol Carlos Boozer.

I'm confused. Why didn't the Warriors just offer that 85-90 million to Diddy instead? Brand & Davis are the same age, and both are dominantplayers in their positions. Or is it that Mullin & Cohan knew they messed up, and now are offering what they should've had for Davis...? Yeah,maybe?

Man.... to be honest, I would offer the same amount to Brand. 85-90 million is enough money to substitute another 12 years of complete "re-building".
Please E.Brand, take the offer. Don Nelson will make you an MVP candidate, more than Dunleavy Sr. can.

Honestly, I would rather throw money at Josh Smith than Elton Brand. They are already a young team, so they might as well go with youth to build a nice future.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Honestly, I would rather throw money at Josh Smith than Elton Brand. They are already a young team, so they might as well go with youth to build a nice future.

They don't need any more small forwards... They are jammed at that position already.

From last years squad all they needed was a low post presence.

Elton Brand is a better fit for the dubs, but without Baron they're lacking at PG now... Monta at point is not gonna work. Dude has a score firstmentality... All he does is get buckets. Now your gonna take that away from him so he can set up the offense???
Mullin is a dumb %%% plain and simple... Letting Baron walk for nothing was the worst thing he can do.

I wonder what Nellie thinks about all this....

Couldn't we play Smith at the PF leaving Wright at SF?

I just want to get rid of Harrington, regardless.

Brand would be nice, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to spend 90M on him when we still have other needs to attend.

Elton, PULL THE BOOZER!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!
laugh.gif

and
laugh.gif
at the Cavs being rumored AGAIN. They don't even have the cap space to offer what the Warriors will offer him.

Yeah, Josh Smith is probably keeping ATL at all costs, but it doesn't hurt to try. Same with Iguodala. Outside of those two, I don't want to offeranyone a long term deal. Elton I'm not so sure I want to give that big a contract to, but I know Mullin is probably doing that to save face; I'd besurprised if Elton accepted, since he would completely screw the Clippers over.

And we aren't in panic mode at all....starting a complete rebuilding process doesn't make sense because we're too talented to do that. If Mullinmakes the right moves, we can still compete for the 8th seed next year.

Originally Posted by M00DSWING7

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

They don't need any more small forwards... They are jammed at that position already.

From last years squad all they needed was a low post presence.

Elton Brand is a better fit for the dubs, but without Baron they're lacking at PG now... Monta at point is not gonna work. Dude has a score first mentality... All he does is get buckets. Now your gonna take that away from him so he can set up the offense???
Mullin is a dumb %%% plain and simple... Letting Baron walk for nothing was the worst thing he can do.

I wonder what Nellie thinks about all this....

Are they? They have Jackson and Randolph. I don't see Jackson being apart of their future since he is getting older. Randolph is unproven. Josh Smithis 22. Elton Brand is 29. In a few years, would you rather have a stud in Josh Smith coming into his prime with the rest of the roster (Monta, Biedrins,Wright, Belinelli, Randolph), or would you rather have an aging Elton Brand?

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Wouldn't ATL try to keep Josh Smith at all costs, and match anything? Like what Mullin is doing with Monta.
Problem is, they'll have a glut of players going towards FA, like next year, Joe Johnson. They need to make decisions on who they'll resign.

^ I would think the same.

I'm actually listening to Fitz & Brooks right now, and both of them believe that they wouldn't have offered the same amount the Clippers did. Bothalso believe that the Warriors shouldn't offer the 85-90 million to Elton Brand, nor the 100 mil to Gilbert because of their history with injuries. RobBrooks stated that instead, they should go after Josh Smith, and both liked the idea of getting Hinrich & Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom