Pirates about to seal up number 17...

17 Straight losing season in Pittsburgh...

Does this make them the worst franchise of all time?
tired.gif

( i still wear my Pirates cap with pride...)
frown.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Worst franchise of all time?

That's the Golden State Warriors.
i really dont want to start with you even if you were being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Worst franchise of all time?

That's the Golden State Warriors.
i really dont want to start with you even if you were being sarcastic.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

i always find it amazing how bad teams just stay bad for so long
tired.gif

Craftsy21 wrote:
World Series titles (5)
1979 1971 1960 1925 1909
NL Pennants (9)
1979 1971 1960 1927 1925 1909 1903 1902 1901
Division titles (9)
1992 1991 1990 1979 1975 1974 1972 1971 1970

No.

rangers.gif

tired.gif

i guess that's a good point nowitness.. but i mean, it's been 17 freaking years since we even were above .500... not made the playoffs, not won atitle... since we had a WINNING season.
laugh.gif

nobody else can say that.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

i guess that's a good point nowitness.. but i mean, it's been 17 freaking years since we even were above .500... not made the playoffs, not won a title... since we had a WINNING season.
laugh.gif

nobody else can say that.
Rangers have never won a playoff series.
laugh.gif
Case closed.

just a real bad stretch , pirates need new ownership. sell em to mark cuban, dude wants a baseball team .

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

I feel worse as a Cubs fan
smh.gif
tired.gif

You guys might have 17 years of losing seasons, but we've had an entire century of no championships.

Originally Posted by onewearz

just a real bad stretch , pirates need new ownership. sell em to mark cuban, dude wants a baseball team .

They have new ownership right now... and a plan is in place, they are trying to start from scratch again which is probably the right move. But it's goingto be a few more years to see how it pans out now... after 17 years of losing, asking us for a few more years of waiting becomes pretty tough.

I never want Pittsburgh to be a city where they buy wins anyways... much as I think Cuban would be committed to winning, I don't think he has the patienceto run a small-town baseball organization.. it's much different than an NBA team.

Must be hard but at least they're headed in the right direction. They basically cleaned house before the deadline which was a good move. I would havetraded Duke and Capps as well, not sure how you feel about that. Can't remember off the top of my head who the Pirates got for McLouth, Sanchez, Hinske,etc. KC should have done the same honestly speaking.

Pedro is gonna be a stud so that provides some relief I guess. Jones, McCutchen, and Milledge form a strong OF/foundation for the future. Personally I'mnot too big on Jose Tabata. Young and LaRoche have solid potential too. What happened to Doumit this year
sick.gif

You guys need pitching for sure...how are your prospects, Craftsy? Ohlendorf and Maholm are good along with Kevin Hart and Daniel McCutchen who are solid intheir own right. Besides that Capps is garbage and the Pirates need a few young, strong arms in the bullpen. Did Craig Hansen get hurt early in the season??

Pittsburgh is still at least two years away from competing in the NL Central. The good news is that with the exception of STL, the other four teams (CHC, MIL,CIN, and HOU) have been average/underachievers.

Kansas City can't do what the Pirates did... The only thing they have anybody would want is Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria... Everybody else on that rosteris TERRIBLE...

They've tried to go young with Alex Gordon and Bill Butler among others, but they just haven't panned out... That's a team without a directionright now... They've made some strange trades and signings over the last year or so and are stuck with a bad team that doesn't really have any valuabletrade assets...

Pitching prospects are average at best... i'd be okay with that if we had some better defense.

We've started getting better at little things like base-running, which is a huge step forward I think.

And if Jones develops into a consistent power-hitter for us, I think that really changes the game for us as we've been missing that forever now.

Doumit will be fine. Missing half the year just seemed to take the wind out of his sail, but he's still got great potential in my mind.

Capps does suck. End of story.

You're right though.... Pirates need a clear number 1 starter to emerge, and a couple more bats.. but overall I don't think it would take THAT much tobecome a contender in the NL central, given where they are right this second.

It's funny.. i think the past few years, the pirates have been the best BAD team in all of sports. This year especially - they play nearly everyone tough,every game.. and just find ways to lose right at the end. Part of that is probably a mentality thing, of losing all the time. But the rest is definitely justnot having the same guns to depend on that other guys do.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Kansas City can't do what the Pirates did... The only thing they have anybody would want is Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria... Everybody else on that roster is TERRIBLE...

They've tried to go young with Alex Gordon and Bill Butler among others, but they just haven't panned out... That's a team without a direction right now... They've made some strange trades and signings over the last year or so and are stuck with a bad team that doesn't really have any valuable trade assets...

Billy Butler is actually having a pretty solid year, but their left side of the infield is awful with Betancourt and Gordon.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

It's funny.. i think the past few years, the pirates have been the best BAD team in all of sports. This year especially - they play nearly everyone tough, every game.. and just find ways to lose right at the end. Part of that is probably a mentality thing, of losing all the time. But the rest is definitely just not having the same guns to depend on that other guys do.
Absolutely is... I see it on a weekly basis with the Rangers team this year still... They step up and kick the hell out of the Red Sox and Angelsall season, split a season series with the Yankees, and have a 4-2 series lead over Tampa Bay, but they go to Detroit and can't win. Can't beatOakland, Baltimore, Kansas City and the like on a daily basis... It's mind blowing. Frustrating as anything I've ever seen in sports...

But a lot of it is obviously a young team trying to deal with breaking through a year early and handle the mental aspect of winning games in the heat of aplayoff race... They play down to their opponents and find ways to lose games against bad teams... It's like they don't know how to deal withwinning...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Craftsy21 wrote:
World Series titles (5)
1979 1971 1960 1925 1909
NL Pennants (9)
1979 1971 1960 1927 1925 1909 1903 1902 1901
Division titles (9)
1992 1991 1990 1979 1975 1974 1972 1971 1970

No.

rangers.gif

tired.gif

yeah its probably a tie between the rangers and the montreal/washington exponationals

Kansas City can't do what the Pirates did... The only thing they have anybody would want is Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria... Everybody else on that roster is TERRIBLE...
I see what you're saying, but it can still be done. They should have a garage sale because things are that desperate. I recall the Royalsstarting the season off hot too, obviously that didn't last long though. Move Bannister, Meche, Farnsworth, Olivo, Teahen, DeJesus, Guillen, Crisp, andJacobs. You're telling me a contender wouldn't take some of these guys for mid-level prospects? Come on...Meche (could be a good 4/5 starter anywhereelse), Teahen (Cleveand was interested before the season), and Jacobs (lefty bat to DH/pinch hit) definitely have some value.

Part of that is probably a mentality thing, of losing all the time. But the rest is definitely just not having the same guns to depend on that other guys do.
I completely agree. Part of it is getting the pieces to compete and the rest is all about attitude. Seems easy but it takes a lot of time to shakea losing culture, I mean even the fanbase isn't optimistic.

Doumit will be fine. Missing half the year just seemed to take the wind out of his sail, but he's still got great potential in my mind.
That's what I figured. He could be a good piece moving into the future. What's going on with NL catchers this year (Doumit, Soto, andMartin)??

By the way - a core of Greinke, Soria, Hochevar (despite today's start), Butler, Aviles, Gordon (not too big on him personally although a lot of peopleare), and Callaspo isn't bad IMO. What the Royals really need is OFs and to trade most if not all of those players I named earlier.

At least the Pirated has some success in the 70s and early 90s

Their are franchises who've had even less success

a beautiful ball park, but yet the owners keep being cheap !*$%#, horrible farm system and when they do have a stud there they trade them.

Back
Top Bottom