REAL Talk: Taking Your GFs last name in marriage

Whats up NT,

So heres my story, Im chilling with my girl today and we been going together for a while now (1 year +) and a disscussion came up about that dang 25 randomthings that people have been putting up on their notes on facebook. Anyways, one of her random topics stated that She would never change her last name foranyone. I was like wha??? So I asked her thoughts today about getting married and about taking my name or hyphenating her name. Do you know what her answeris????

She said that she wouldnt hyphenate it, and that we would have seprate names if we were married
eyes.gif

So my question to yall is.....would you let your girl keep her name? or even worse.......drop your name and take her last name?

Discuss.....

As a family, I would prefer we all have the same last name... I wouldn't feel very "married" if my wife had a different last name than I did, butthat's just ME

... and it ain't gonna be her last name either

Just married last May(she took my name of course).

I would never thought about dropping my last name and taking her's.

And I feel the only people that should use the hyphenate is celebs.

If I was you I would ask her what is her reasons for wanting to keep her last name?

What is there to discuss? You're a man, you don't take on her last name. You're a #@+!% if you do.

We would have to compromise at some level. Why is she so content on holding on to her name?

That is stupid. When you get married you are supposed to be a team, you guys are one. How old is this chick?

HELLL NOOO. i would not take no females name no way.

i would tell her if she ever wants to get married she would need to take my last name lik how she takes it in the.. nvm..

but for real, the hyphenate thing doesnt sound that bad, and when it comes down to it, she prob change it.. just because she loves yah.

See my moms wouldn't let me or my sis take our fathers last name, but she compromised with the hyphen and his last name.
I used to say I wouldn't, but I figure a hyphen and his last name wouldn't kill me.
My ex used to say he hated his last name and would take mine though so some guys have considered it before I'm sure, but you gotta be someone who is not sohung up on tradition I guess.

Originally Posted by SlimK4

Whats up NT,

So heres my story, Im chilling with my girl today and we been going together for a while now (1 year +) and a disscussion came up about that dang 25 random things that people have been putting up on their notes on facebook. Anyways, one of her random topics stated that She would never change her last name for anyone. I was like wha??? So I asked her thoughts today about getting married and about taking my name or hyphenating her name. Do you know what her answer is????

She said that she wouldnt hyphenate it, and that we would have seprate names if we were married
eyes.gif

So my question to yall is.....would you let your girl keep her name?
or even worse.......drop your name and take her last name?

Discuss.....
laugh.gif
"let" her keep it? That's her choice...

also...the hell would you drop YOUR last name and pick up hers? Might as well give her your testicles.

Originally Posted by Shooter116

As a family, I would prefer we all have the same last name... I wouldn't feel very "married" if my wife had a different last name than I did, but that's just ME

... and it ain't gonna be her last name either

Exactly.

It seems that "taking on" the Husband's last name is in Western Cultures.

So personally I would have it my wife take on my last name or keep hers. Hyphenated just looks odd.

Why would you ever take your wife's last name?
laugh.gif

I don't care either way whether or not my wife takes my last name. My mom didn't take my dad's last name when they got married because she wasalready a professional woman.

i wouldnt take her name as my last, but what would work tho if she dont want to lose her last name use my last name and hers...

She 24 and Im 2 years older, See we both in med school so the hyphinated name isnt so bad considering her career but the thought of not taking your name at allis disturbing, Does that even happen
laugh.gif

My last name and my girlfriend's last name are one letter apart haha. So, it wouldn't really matter. I'm kidding. Taking my girl's last namenever crossed my mind. It's too much a part of tradition of Filipino culture as well as many other cultures for the bride to take on her groom's lastname. There's no other option for me.

It depends on every person's own preference. My wife took my last name and she loves it.

I wouldn't care if the wife wanted to hyphenate her name, but I damn sure ain't gonna change my name.

Back
Top Bottom