Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Krstic looks like he'll be a UFA, or at least the Nets won't be looking to re-sign.

Duhon close to getting a 3 yr/10m contract with the Magic.

Posey/Pietrus are wanted by Pistons.

Nets are looking into Pietrus, Barnes, Evans.

and..

Darius Miles fails a drug test, gets 10 game suspension.
roll.gif
tired.gif

From the sidebar @ HoopsHype

Harrington to Ask for a Trade?

The news that Baron Davis is leaving town has hit several of his teammates hard. In particular Al Harrington believes Davis' departure will destroy theWarriors. He's even hinting that he may ask for a trade if he doesn't like what he hears from GM Chris Mullin when they meet in the next few days.

The key here may be Brand. If the Warriors can lure him away from the Clippers it would be a huge step towards showing Harrington and others that the team isnot about to enter a rebuilding phase. If the Warriors allow that perception to slip out things could start to fall apart quickly, as they have a number offree agents who would be more inclined to listen to offers from contenders than sit around and wait for a youth movement centered around Brandan Wright to cometo fruition.

Sources told ESPN.com that DeSagana Diop, traded by the Mavericks to New Jersey in February as part of the Jason Kidd deal, will receive the Mavericks' full mid-level exception in a five-year deal starting at nearly $6 million. ESPN.com

The Lakers are pursuing Marcelus Kemp, a shooting guard from the University of Nevada. Kemp's agent, John Grieg, told a Reno newspaper he expected a deal to be struck soon. LA Daily News

In a move that could act as sweet revenge, the Golden State Warriors have offered free-agent Elton Brand a more lucrative, multiyear deal than the Clippers have proposed, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not allowed to speak about other free-agent dealings. LA Times

Chris Duhon wants more than what the Knicks and the Magic are offering. He wants all or a majority of the mid-level exception, worth about $6 million a season. But like the Knicks, the Magic want to split it up between two players almost evenly. So unless Duhon comes down a little -- hey, it's early in the bargaining process --- he and Orlando can't marry. Duhon is just playing the game. He knows that even though he has been a back-up most of his career in Chicago, the point-guard free agent class is weak. (Now you know why Magic GM Otis Smith signed Jameer Nelson to a five-year, $40 million extension before the start of last season. Nelson would be the runaway No. 1 point guard as a free agent this summer.) Orlando Sentinel

Flush with cap space after Baron Davis' sudden exit, the Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million, according to league source. Brand, like Davis, opted out of the final year of his contract just before Monday's deadline, giving up a guaranteed $16.4 million for next season. At the time, Brand's agent, David Falk, told reporters that the move was designed to create some cap flexibility for the Clippers to add another top-line player. San Francisco Chronicle

The Clippers did just that by agreeing to terms with Davis on a five-year contract worth about $65 million Tuesday, though the deal cannot be finalized until July 9. However, that means the most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions -- about $20 million less than the Warriors. San Francisco Chronicle

Michael Beasley's Miami Heat debut was cut short when the No. 2 pick in last week's NBA Draft was sidelined by an elbow to the chest just over a half hour into the team's first practice at summer camp. Beasley was not available for comment after today's session at AmericanAirlines Arena. Coach Erik Spoelstra believed the elbow came from free-agent Anthony Washington, a 6-foot-10, 250-pound center out of Portland State. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Duhon is on crack if he wants the full MLE.

GOODBYE CHRIS DUHON!
he's a solid backup to a team with an established pg
one less person the bullies have to worry aobut

i dont see how the warriors are willing to give brand all this money and they couldnt pay davis. from what i heard they werent even close to the 65 millionthe clipps gave him.

Originally Posted by outkast9984

i dont see how the warriors are willing to give brand all this money and they couldnt pay davis. from what i heard they werent even close to the 65 million the clipps gave him.

Ehh, he's a 30 year old aging pg
Monta is the pg of the future anyway

Originally Posted by outkast9984

i dont see how the warriors are willing to give brand all this money and they couldnt pay davis. from what i heard they werent even close to the 65 million the clipps gave him.

Eh, he wanted a 5th year on the contract and they weren't willing to give it to him with those injury concerns at that age... Can't really blamethem, especially considering they've already got the PG of their future in the fold...

They've got good reason to give that type money to Brand... They've got the money, they've needed a legitimate big man for the longest...Essentially trading off Baron for Brand would make them a better team, IMO...

Originally Posted by VIIheaven

From the sidebar @ HoopsHype

Harrington to Ask for a Trade?

The news that Baron Davis is leaving town has hit several of his teammates hard. In particular Al Harrington believes Davis' departure will destroy the Warriors. He's even hinting that he may ask for a trade if he doesn't like what he hears from GM Chris Mullin when they meet in the next few days.

The key here may be Brand. If the Warriors can lure him away from the Clippers it would be a huge step towards showing Harrington and others that the team is not about to enter a rebuilding phase. If the Warriors allow that perception to slip out things could start to fall apart quickly, as they have a number of free agents who would be more inclined to listen to offers from contenders than sit around and wait for a youth movement centered around Brandan Wright to come to fruition.

We should be so lucky to trade Al, he has no reason to ask for a trade, I'm sure they're actively pursuing one.

Originally Posted by tupac003

The Lakers are pursuing Marcelus Kemp, a shooting guard from the University of Nevada. Kemp's agent, John Grieg, told a Reno newspaper he expected a deal to be struck soon. LA Daily News

Michael Beasley's Miami Heat debut was cut short when the No. 2 pick in last week's NBA Draft was sidelined by an elbow to the chest just over a half hour into the team's first practice at summer camp. Beasley was not available for comment after today's session at AmericanAirlines Arena. Coach Erik Spoelstra believed the elbow came from free-agent Anthony Washington, a 6-foot-10, 250-pound center out of Portland State. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Both Kemp and Washington are Garfield HS products. Same as Brandon Roy/Tre Simmons from the UW teams from a few years ago.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Krstic looks like he'll be a UFA, or at least the Nets won't be looking to re-sign.

this makes no sense at all seeing that before his injury he was having a nice season and was their anchor in the middle ....... his game reminds me of RaelLafrentz now if he could just become a bit stronger ....... also isn't he in his early 20's

Sorry if posted fellas...

"The Philadelphia 76ers, one of the remaining teams with significant space under the expected cap, are also expected to enter the competition forBrand's services, creating a potential bidding war for the All-Star forward."

I'd be happy with Josh Smith at this point because he fits our team mold better. I'd be very, very surprised to see Brand bolt to any other team.

any updates with maggette? i hope he goes to the hornets!! for the MLE.. paul/maggette/peja/west/chandler

Why would he go to the Hornets? The only possibilities I'm seeing is Orlando, Boston, or LA.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53371/20080703/clippers_nervous_about_brand/[/h1]
[h1]Clippers Nervous About Brand[/h1]

Brand_Elton_lac.jpg
Elton Brand is reportedly leaning on staying with the Clippers, but the Warriors' offer of $20 million more than what his incumbent team can offer is tempting.

Brand elected to opt out of his contract in order to free up salary space for the Clippers to sign a player like Baron Davis.

Brand reportedly even mentioned Davis to the Clippers as the player he'd like the team to pursue.

But Clippers' executives are nervous that Brand has not reached an agreement with them.

Mark my words, Brand just wants the Clippers to get more pieces.

Let them keep Magette, and I bet he stays. I think he'd sign a smaller deal than other are offering if he were part of a starting lineup likeDiddy/?/Magette/Brand/Kaman, or even Diddy/?/Possey/Brand/Kaman.

And if they were to keep Magette AND sign Posey, within hours, we'd hear of him re-signing with the Clippers.

He hasn't re-signed yet because he's not satisfied with just Baron, and he hasn't signed onto someone else because he really does want to be aClipper.

That's where I'm betting all my money.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Let them keep Magette, and I bet he stays. I think he'd sign a smaller deal than other are offering if he were part of a starting lineup like Diddy/?/Magette/Brand/Kaman, or even Diddy/?/Possey/Brand/Kaman.

And if they were to keep Magette AND sign Posey, within hours, we'd hear of him re-signing with the Clippers.

He hasn't re-signed yet because he's not satisfied with just Baron, and he hasn't signed onto someone else because he really does want to be a Clipper.

Brand would have to take a huge paycut for that to work. More so then he already would be taking if he chose to come back.

The only way the Clips sign Diddy and resign Brand is they renounce the rights to Magette outright, and hope that Brand takes a $15-$20M paycut to stay onboard.

The whole reason Brand opted out in the first place, you're right is to aquire more pieces. The Clips did that with BD.

Unless Sterling wants to go over and get taxed, but we all know that will never happen.

^I think he's still waiting to hear at all the offers. They said he was meeting with his agent today to discuss everything. I think the Clippers right noware contenders if he comes back. He told the Clippers he wants Davis there and now he's making them nervous...lol...I can't see him going elsewherethough...He just seems more loyal than that.

Originally Posted by JPZx

any updates with maggette? i hope he goes to the hornets!! for the MLE.. paul/maggette/peja/west/chandler

Why would he go to the Hornets? The only possibilities I'm seeing is Orlando, Boston, or LA.

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53371/20080703/clippers_nervous_about_brand/[/h1]
[h1]Clippers Nervous About Brand[/h1]

Brand_Elton_lac.jpg
Elton Brand is reportedly leaning on staying with the Clippers, but the Warriors' offer of $20 million more than what his incumbent team can offer is tempting.

Brand elected to opt out of his contract in order to free up salary space for the Clippers to sign a player like Baron Davis.

Brand reportedly even mentioned Davis to the Clippers as the player he'd like the team to pursue.

But Clippers' executives are nervous that Brand has not reached an agreement with them.

that's what i like to see! good job mullin
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

al harrington has no leverage. whether or not we get brand (doubtful to begin with, i know), he's getting traded. Al+Pietrus/Barnes for ________ will dothe trick.

franchise3:
me:

Let them keep Magette, and I bet he stays. I think he'd sign a smaller deal than other are offering if he were part of a starting lineup like Diddy/?_____/Magette/Brand/Kaman, or even Diddy/?_____/Posey/Brand/Kaman.

And if they were to keep Magette AND sign Posey, within hours, we'd hear of Brand re-signing with the Clippers.

He hasn't re-signed yet because he's not satisfied with just Baron, and he hasn't signed onto someone else because he really does want to be a Clipper.

Brand would have to take a huge paycut for that to work. More so then he already would be taking if he chose to come back.
The only way the Clips sign Diddy and resign Brand is they renounce the rights to Magette outright, and hope that Brand takes a $15-$20M paycut to stay on board.
And I think he'd be willing to do that if that were the situation he found himself in. If it were a matter of *SOMETHING LIKE* 'Alright,we've got Baron, we've kept Corey, and we picked up Posey. So it looks like I won't be getting a very huge contract now,' his next thoughtwould be 'I'm good with that.'
franchise3:
The whole reason Brand opted out in the first place, you're right is to aquire more pieces. The Clips did that with BD.
That's what I'm saying: my opinion is that just Diddy hasn't been enough to satisfy Brand yet. I mean, I don't think he's overthere going 'No, I want Baron Davis, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, or I'm not re-signing.' But I do think he's over there like 'Cool,cool; I like what you did there, bringing in Baron. Got anything else? I know you can do more. Let's see what you got.'

And I think he'd be willing to do that if that were the situation he found himself in. If it were a matter of *SOMETHING LIKE* 'Alright, we've got Baron, we've kept Corey, and we picked up Posey. So it looks like I won't be getting a very huge contract now,' his next thought would be 'I'm good with that.'

I doubt it, ska.

The Clips don't have that sort of cap room. Your scenario only works if Sterling is willing to go over the tax threshold.

Brand is a stand up guy, but GSW is offering him 5 years $90M

Clippers are offering him somethinig like $65-$70M over 5 years.

Either way, he's looking at $13M+ a year, wherever he goes.

This already opting out of $16M he was set to make next year.

In order to get a Magette or a Posey, he'd make well under $10M a year.

Well under. Something like a little bit above MLE, $6M a year.

You don't risk your long term financial security, in hopes of aquring all of these pieces. Especially even with all those pieces, it's no sure thinghow far they go in the playoffs. If they make the playoffs.

The only reason why Brand hasn't decided is because he has to take the GSW offer seriously. That's a lot of dough right there.

Back
Top Bottom