So I Went to See 'Good Hair' Last Night

Originally Posted by RenaRene

you're about to lock this thread with your ignorance. There are African American women born everyday with natural straight hair. So you are saying they're not really black? There are white women with curly or short hair. Are they not white?
Are black women who "go natural" trying to become African citizens? Your argument expired after about 1975. What you SHOULD say is they do it to mimic that they see in Hollywood, and mainstream media. Not just black or white, but a general standard of beauty to have luscious locks. In any form. This is why "natural" women like to wear curly styles instead of just shaving if off. Unless the women you deal with have balded heads, they are guilty of the same thing.
im outy. peace.
You are clearly typing out of feelings right now. You have yet to bring any logic to the discussion. You won't be missed.

I'm mad I even started reading the last few pages now. Shouldn't have clicked on the thread since the OP wasn't even worth reading. Now I'mgetting pulled in reading some wild posts.
you're about to lock this thread with your ignorance. There are African American women born everyday with natural straight hair. So you are saying they're not really black?
I find it hard to believe you would bring up ppl being born a certain way to counter a post by DC that has nothing to do with that. He'stalking about black women who straiten their hair not black women who are born with straight hair. That's like saying black ppl who bleach their skin wantto be white and then you bring up albinos.

Dude just has an opinion. That obviously strikes a nerve with a couple ppl

laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ ignorance locking a NT thread

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So can one also say that black girls straighten their hair because their curly hair is undesirable?

If you cant agree with that then clearly you are one of those that give white people a pass for everything.
Either way you look at that first comment it can be attributed to wanting to look white

Black women's hair wasn't undesirable until they saw that there was another OPTION (straight hair)

Before encountering whites, I am pretty sure African women didn't have the same issues with their hair
So you mad because theyre exploring different options.

Centuries Africans knew nothing about what an education was, so now that all of us minorities are trying to be educated we are trying to emulate the "Euro" lifestyle?
Can you see how ridiculous that sounds?
Oh I am not mad at all. I am just acknowledging it that they GOT the idea from another race. So why can't it be noted that they are attemptingto emulate THAT race? You all are practically saying they ARE trying to be like white women but seem to be afraid to actually say those words.

mytmouse76 wrote:

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

You DO do it to be like white woman. Why are you in denial?

at the end of the day, though, mytmouse, it's HIS opinion...why RenaRene so mad?

i wouldnt say it's specifically to look white, but it damn sure isn't to look like yourself....can we agree on that?

we can def. agree on that...so what if i have natural hair and i just straighten it with a flat iron? is that a problem too? (i'm just asking don't want that to come off confrontaional or angry)

and what about white women that perm their hair to make it curly?

like i said...she's probably upset cuz she feels he's assuming something about her that may not be true

honestly, and i may offend some people, the only time i look at a chicks hair and it's a dealbreaker

is when a black girl has obviously grown up with exclusively white friends......they think they can just wash, blow dry, and throw a hair comb in that $+*% andgo....no, no, no....

flat iron is cool. I think he's on some "if you would put yourself through that disfigurement just to change your natural black look, you're lostand i won't *** with you" and i don't really see anything wrong with that...

perms destroy.damage the hair and scalp....it's painful....and, like i've stated plenty of times, it's like the 9th thing dudes are even concernedwith...

as much as dead stoc wants to claim hair is a dealbreaker...

go fish up "favorite female attribute" threads and find one reply on the 56 pages that says "Hair."

there are none.

so for a chick to be so lost and unhappy with her natural self, to disfigure herself for something as vein as "straight hair", which, originally, andto an extent, still, has to do with the fact that white women's hair is straight....period.

if it's an ease of management issue, go bald, easiest way to manage hair...

natural is even easier to manage than permed hair.....TRUE natural...you may look very insane, but its more easy to maintain...

i don't really have a problem with weaves, extentions and whatnot...but yeah, i've convinced my girl to stop getting perms...shes had a relapse or two,but for the most part, she tries to keep her hair free of that BS....

then again, i'm not bashing girls who do get perms....i just shake my head and want them to know that it's really not that serious...

So can one also say that black girls straighten their hair because their curly hair is undesirable?

If you cant agree with that then clearly you are one of those that give white people a pass for everything.
Either way you look at that first comment it can be attributed to wanting to look white

Black women's hair wasn't undesirable until they saw that there was another OPTION (straight hair)

Before encountering whites, I am pretty sure African women didn't have the same issues with their hair

Centuries Africans knew nothing about what an education was, so now that all of us minorities are trying to be educated we are trying to emulate the "Euro" lifestyle?
Oh I am not mad at all. I am just acknowledging it that they GOT the idea from another race. So why can't it be noted that they are attempting to emulate THAT race? You all are practically saying they ARE trying to be like white women but seem to be afraid to actually say those words.
We ALL get ideas from other races.
Do you know how your life would be like right now if you only did things that originated from within your race?

Youre not making any great taboo claims that we're all afraid to admit.
Youre just being wild ignorant.

so for a chick to be so lost and unhappy with her natural self, to disfigure herself for something as vein as "straight hair", which, originally, and to an extent, still, has to do with the fact that white women's hair is straight....period.

natural is even easier to manage than permed hair.....TRUE natural...you may look very insane, but its more easy to maintain...

i don't really have a problem with weaves, extentions and whatnot...but yeah, i've convinced my girl to stop getting perms...shes had a relapse or two, but for the most part, she tries to keep her hair free of that BS....

then again, i'm not bashing girls who do get perms....i just shake my head and want them to know that it's really not that serious...
pimp.gif

Oh I am not mad at all. I am just acknowledging it that they GOT the idea from another race. So why can't it be noted that they are attempting to emulate THAT race? You all are practically saying they ARE trying to be like white women but seem to be afraid to actually say those words.
Do you know how your life would be like right now if you only did things that originated from within your race?

eh, he's just gotten off topic defending himself from 6 different people...

i don't see anything wrong with him prefering women with natural hair...

but then again, i don't see anything wrong with a girl straightening her hair....

(even tho i prefer a flat iron.....lol)

i just hate when i get suffocated by weave......and it itches your skin and ##+#...

I know we all get ideas from other races. That is the beauty of this world. So why is it so hard to admit that black women straighten their hairto look like white women? I am not trying to say that this is the ONLY instance in which a race does things to emulate another race, but this IS AN instance.

I don't see how I am being ignorant by acknowledging this. What exactly am I saying wrong when you JUST admitted that races "steal" ideas fromeach other constantly? What am I saying wrong?

DCAllAmerican wrote:

You cant be serious with this comment.
Explain to me why I can't be serious about it? I am dead serious.

Black women straighten their hair to emulate white women. While it might be more involuntary/subconscious NOW than it was when they FIRST started doing it, they still do it to be like white woman.

I don't understand why some of you are so astonished by this statement

This is the truth. It's all in the pursuit to look white. The thing is, women will come up with every excuse to say that its not in that pursuit. Whitepeople didn't like our naturally kinky hair so to be more excepted we straightened our it and started wearing weaves. Knowing the roots of women wearingweaves and wigs and such, how can you women of today walk around with weaves feeling good about yourself? No matter your reasoning, you should be ashamed basedoff how this whole weave/wig/straighten thing started. That's just my view.

eNPHAN; I never even said a woman straightening her hair was WRONG. I said getting a perm was HARMFUL and I don't want any women I deal with to be baldlater on because of it. THAT is my main issue with it. That is my ONLY issue with it. Yes it LOOKS good, but I don't feel it is worth the issues that itcan potentially bring.

This is the truth. It's all in the pursuit to look white. The thing is, women will come up with every excuse to say that its not in that pursuit. White people didn't like our naturally kinky hair so to be more excepted we straighted our it and started wearing weaves. Knowing the roots of women wearing weaves and wigs and such, how can you women of today walk around with weaves feeling good about yourself? No matter your reasoning, you should be ashamed based off how this whole weave/wig/straighten thing started. That's just my view.
Thanks man. They KNOW it is the truth. And yes they will make up ALL the reasons in the world to defend the action but it is a quest to look Euro.I don't see why it is so offensive. You know it is the truth. We ALL know it is the truth but for some reason, when it is SAID, I am called ignorant. WHY?

mytmouse76 wrote:

at the end of the day, though, mytmouse, it's HIS opinion...why RenaRene so mad?

i wouldnt say it's specifically to look white, but it damn sure isn't to look like yourself....can we agree on that?

we can def. agree on that...so what if i have natural hair and i just straighten it with a flat iron? is that a problem too? (i'm just asking don't want that to come off confrontaional or angry)

and what about white women that perm their hair to make it curly?

like i said...she's probably upset cuz she feels he's assuming something about her that may not be true

honestly, and i may offend some people, the only time i look at a chicks hair and it's a dealbreaker

is when a black girl has obviously grown up with exclusively white friends......they think they can just wash, blow dry, and throw a hair comb in that $+*% and go....no, no, no....

flat iron is cool. I think he's on some "if you would put yourself through that disfigurement just to change your natural black look, you're lost and i won't *** with you" and i don't really see anything wrong with that...

perms destroy.damage the hair and scalp....it's painful....and, like i've stated plenty of times, it's like the 9th thing dudes are even concerned with...

as much as dead stoc wants to claim hair is a dealbreaker...

go fish up "favorite female attribute" threads and find one reply on the 56 pages that says "Hair."

there are none.

so for a chick to be so lost and unhappy with her natural self, to disfigure herself for something as vein as "straight hair", which, originally, and to an extent, still, has to do with the fact that white women's hair is straight....period.

i don't really have a problem with weaves, extentions and whatnot...but yeah, i've convinced my girl to stop getting perms...shes had a relapse or two, but for the most part, she tries to keep her hair free of that BS....

you keeps saying guys don't look at hair and thats a lie...

you may not care but there are alot of men who do...another guy on here told me long hair is the ultimate sign of femine beauty or something like that...

i feel you on the wash and go...thats how i felt about the chick on the last season of real world Jonae or whatever...she liked to throw her lil extensionpiece in and bounce like she didnt need to press those roots to make it work
laugh.gif

dont get it confused...i'm not mad or anything...just saying how i see it...

eNPHAN; I never even said a woman straightening her hair was WRONG. I said getting a perm was HARMFUL and I don't want any women I deal with to be bald later on because of it. THAT is my main issue with it. That is my ONLY issue with it. Yes it LOOKS good, but I don't feel it is worth the issues that it can potentially bring.

Ok I agree with THIS point
Same reason I never permed my hair, don't want it falling out

I dont think that women now a days get their hair straightened because they want to look like white women, its just that it has become the norm.
Maybe back when Madam CJ walker first created her hair products, that was the idea, but now, I hardly think African American women consider themselves tryingto achieve that goal now...

my hair has never fallen out from a perm...even when i grew it out it was just as kinky and thick as before...its already crazy at the roots...gonna need astrong comb when its all gone
laugh.gif

eNPHAN; I don't know, it depends on the dude.

Dudes with high standards look at EVERYTHING. Hair included. I mean some dudes are more accepting so they don't trip off of hair. Hair is important to meand I think a lot of dudes care. But then again, MOST dudes accept anything, so you may be right.

man.....

ya'll aint never gonna convince me...

that you're looking at beyonce's clone....

and you turn her down cause her roots are showing..

gtfohwtbs

dudes are BEASTING over ugly @#! amber rose and she doesnt even HAVE hair....

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

no i don't...

i could go back and forth all day...my cousin probably won't get here for awhile...

to have straight hair yeah but damn sure not to be white...

thats like saying white people tan to be black...
White people tan because pale skin is undesirable.
Dc by you making that comment you answered the "you do it to be white" statement. They do it because its undesirable.
In the past they did it to fit in and look more presentable for whites.
but now it more like old habits are hard to break, plus conscious conditioning. But also because black people have rough hair, so this treatment relaxes it. Istill think its shouldnt be used, but if women still want to then what am i to do.

my hair has never fallen out from a perm...even when i grew it out it was just as kinky and thick as before...its already crazy at the roots...gonna need a strong comb when its all gone
laugh.gif
Damn near every OLDER black woman that permed when they were younger I know is going or has gone bald

Originally Posted by sn00pee

its just that it has become the norm.
Maybe back when Madam CJ walker first created her hair products, that was the idea,
okay, so wait...something that originally started because of reason A.....has now become the norm...so the reason changes?

the reason never changed.....the consciousness of the reason changed....and it's become the norm....

but that doesn't change the reason it started....

Originally Posted by Kim1

MyT- Mannn Jonae's extensions were a joke.

roll.gif
, i feel for all the black girls raised with white women......

those are the only chicks that get turned down off of hair...

because, just by looking at the hair, you can tell OH SO MUCH about them....

honestly.

and i know i sound ignorant as hell....

everytime i commented about it in the official thread dudes were like 'what is she talkin about' but you can def. tell she's had majority whitefriends... A HOT MESS

same for some biracial kids whose parents dont know what to do...A MESS
laugh.gif

I know we all get ideas from other races. That is the beauty of this world. So why is it so hard to admit that black women straighten their hair to look like white women? I am not trying to say that this is the ONLY instance in which a race does things to emulate another race, but this IS AN instance.

I don't see how I am being ignorant by acknowledging this. What exactly am I saying wrong when you JUST admitted that races "steal" ideas from each other constantly? What am I saying wrong?
I just dont see it as being that simple.
If I only wear Italian suits, am I trying to be Italian?

The fact is that we all have an idea of what is beautiful and how people talk/act/dress like, when someone does something outside of what YOU believe a personfrom that race should be doing, it shouldnt be the basis for them being accused of trying to be someone that theyre not.

Its all good with you having certain standards or preferences.
Just dont be so quick to label people for deciding to do certain things.
What a woman does with her hair gives absolutely no indication of what her mindset is.

Hair is like one of my top 5 things about females as far as physical.

I personally hate weaves. Especially when they're extra longer than your real hair.

I don't wanna see you without a weave in and you got the samurai topknot pony tail.

And if you got short hair, why are girls just lazy and gel it up or try to rock the Rihanna or Keri Hilson. That @$#% aint for everybody.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Hair is like one of my top 5 things about females as far as physical.

I personally hate weaves. Especially when they're extra longer than your real hair.

I don't wanna see you without a weave in and you got the samurai topknot pony tail.

And if you got short hair, why are girls just lazy and gel it up or try to rock the Rihanna or Keri Hilson. That @$#% aint for everybody.
other 4 things?

Body-Face-Clothes-Personality?

lol, so if shes batting a 4/5 you pass?

eyes.gif

(lol, i was gonna comment about the black girl raised w/ whites earlier, but i thought i'd get flamed for pages...lol, seriously, that's the only timei judge a chick off her hair....)

everytime i commented about it in the official thread dudes were like 'what is she talkin about' but you can def. tell she's had majority white friends... A HOT MESS

same for some biracial kids whose parents dont know what to do...A MESS
laugh.gif
I missed that whole thread b/c I just watched the entire season online like 2weeks ago
Every episode I kept saying "What the hell is in this girl's head"?
Clipped in? Either way it had me cracking up

Back
Top Bottom