Sport Cities-Non Sport Cities

Originally Posted by dakid23

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

So they only cheer for them if their good. if so B-More should not be on the list.

Looks at avy , then understands why you are soo bitter ...

laugh.gif
 I'm not trust me. But why you consider your city a sports city if you only cheer for your good team? 
grin.gif
It hasn't always been good times here in Baltimore, not too long ago we had Kyle Boller as our starter. Maybe you are the one stuck on our recent success. Even with Kyle we were still backing our team ...

Originally Posted by Thizz Marley

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Living in Los Angeles now, people from here definitely pull for the Lakers and Dodgers hard. Better fans here than in San Francisco, I think.
Yep. LA loves their sports. It's a bummer there isn't an NFL team anymore. I agree with the SF Bay Area comment though. I mean I'm a huge Niner fan but where were these guys when we were crap for the last 10 years? Same can go for the Giants too. Granted, it comes with the territory of winning but there's a reason why there isn't a ESPN Bay Area. A buddy of mine tweeted to ESPN regarding why there isn't an ESPN page for the Bay Area or SF and got a reply stating that, "You only care about sports when your teams are winning." Ouch. Although, the Warriors have a very strong fan base. 
what are yall talking about? SF is a great sports town. we support our teams. NT does not reflect what goes on in the real world.
even when the niners were horrible we were never black out like the raiders. all their seats were filled.

even the giants get love when theyre bad. atnt park stays packed. even before the world series.

and back when they played at %$@@$% *#* candlestick they still had good support. how are you gonna say they dont have support?

have you been to candlestick for a night game in september/october? its FREEZING and people were still out there to watch their bad team play
No, you guys didn't.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/sfatte.shtml

Look at those attendance numbers. Nobody was coming to see the Giants before AT&T Park was built. Outside of the race for the playoffs in 93', the highest you guys drew was 25K twice, one of which happened to be the last year at Candlestick before moving to AT&T Park.

Often people like to portray the Giants as having a fanbase that has consistently attended games over time, but this has only been true since they finished building their new park in 2000.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Yep. LA loves their sports. It's a bummer there isn't an NFL team anymore. I agree with the SF Bay Area comment though. I mean I'm a huge Niner fan but where were these guys when we were crap for the last 10 years? Same can go for the Giants too. Granted, it comes with the territory of winning but there's a reason why there isn't a ESPN Bay Area. A buddy of mine tweeted to ESPN regarding why there isn't an ESPN page for the Bay Area or SF and got a reply stating that, "You only care about sports when your teams are winning." Ouch. Although, the Warriors have a very strong fan base. 
what are yall talking about? SF is a great sports town. we support our teams. NT does not reflect what goes on in the real world.
even when the niners were horrible we were never black out like the raiders. all their seats were filled.

even the giants get love when theyre bad. atnt park stays packed. even before the world series.

and back when they played at %$@@$% *#* candlestick they still had good support. how are you gonna say they dont have support?

have you been to candlestick for a night game in september/october? its FREEZING and people were still out there to watch their bad team play
No, you guys didn't.

Look at those attendance numbers. Nobody was coming to see the Giants before AT&T Park was built. Outside of the race for the playoffs in 93', the highest you guys drew was 25K twice, one of which happened to be the last year at Candlestick before moving to AT&T Park.

Often people like to portray the Giants as having a fanbase that has consistently attended games over time, but this has only been true since they finished building their new park in 2000.
did i say they were selling out candlestick or having huge attendance numbers? nope. 
considering how bad the giants have been outside of 89, 93, 02, and 2010 and how bad candlestick is the numbers arent horrible.

better than a's attendance numbers and alot of other teams. we are talking about a team that never won a world series in this city til a year ago

Canada
Good: Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Regina

Bad: Calgary, Ottawa, Quebec City

No, you guys didn't.

did i say they were selling out candlestick or having huge attendance numbers? nope. 
considering how bad the giants have been outside of 89, 93, 02, and 2010 and how bad candlestick is the numbers arent horrible.

better than a's attendance numbers and alot of other teams. we are talking about a team that never won a world series in this city til a year ago

Giants had a lot of winning teams I between those years. Nobody was going to candlestick unless it was vs the Dodgers.

laugh.gif
those numbers are not cutting it for a major league franchise. It's not 'good' support, no matter how you frame it. Look at the average NL attendance next to each year. The Giants only met the average once (1993) and was well below it every other year. If you are not meeting the average attendance in your own league, then you definitely do not have better attendance numbers than 'alot of other teams' once you combine numbers with the American League.

laugh.gif
those numbers are not cutting it for a major league franchise. It's not 'good' support, no matter how you frame it. Look at the average NL attendance next to each year. The Giants only met the average once (1993) and was well below it every other year. If you are not meeting the average attendance in your own league, then you definitely do not have better attendance numbers than 'alot of other teams' once you combine numbers with the American League.

you got me on the candlestick attendance ill admit that. but once they got a new park look that changed.
as much as old fans love the stick and all the great memories its a horrible stadium. nobody wants to go there

new ball park. same bad team and attendance changed. even 10 years after it opened the numbers are still up there

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

No, you guys didn't.

Giants had a lot of winning teams I between those years. Nobody was going to candlestick unless it was vs the Dodgers.
Candlestick's bathrooms alone make going there an unpleasant experience (especially if you're drinking beer at the game and have to go often)
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Nats: Bums, 5000 empty seats every game. New waste of $ stadium at that

I wouldn't say they're bums at all, folks just don't go to baseball games down there unless the Yanks/Sox are in town.  Look at Camden Yards, same deal.  First year they were in Washington, they drew 2.5 million and were in contention.  I'm sure once they start contending again and the young phenoms they have hit the majors, they'll draw again.  Hell, they came out in droves for Strasburg.  Definitely not a waste.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

I think Cubs fans are the greatest fans ever. We support the kids win,lose or draw. No World Series since 1908. Still loyal. Its coming one day.

I think that's part of the reason there are so many Cub fans.  It's almost like a bandwagon to be a part of something so special of never winning anything.

I think Cubs fans are the greatest fans ever. We support the kids win,lose or draw. No World Series since 1908. Still loyal. Its coming one day.
Uh no dude
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Uh no dude
laugh.gif

Cubs fans are faithful.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I wouldn't say they're bums at all, folks just don't go to baseball games down there unless the Yanks/Sox are in town.  Look at Camden Yards, same deal.  First year they were in Washington, they drew 2.5 million and were in contention.  I'm sure once they start contending again and the young phenoms they have hit the majors, they'll draw again.  Hell, they came out in droves for Strasburg.  Definitely not a waste.

Huh? Yanks/Sox are in town? Most of the fans that attend games are Philly and Met fans since they are in the same division.

Fans of baseball in DC area are from other places since the area is very transient. They go to see their teams play against the Nats. Local support for the Nats is ehhhh but building from what I've seen.

Its still to early to call the Nats a waste. They have only been around for like 7 seasons. I can see the Nats bringing the locals in with some of their players though. Strasburg is a major a draw and if Harper gets the nod, people will want to see him. 

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Originally Posted by Proshares

Huh? Yanks/Sox are in town? Most of the fans that attend games are Philly and Met fans since they are in the same division.

Fans of baseball in DC area are from other places since the area is very transient. They go to see their teams play against the Nats. Local support for the Nats is ehhhh but building from what I've seen.

Its still to early to call the Nats a waste. They have only been around for like 7 seasons. I can see the Nats bringing the locals in with some of their players though. Strasburg is a major a draw and if Harper gets the nod, people will want to see him. 

I agree with this statement. Every ttime the Cubs come to DC, i always to to the game. It be alot of cub fans in the ballpark. It be more Cubs fans than Nats fan. You right Fans of baseball in DC are from other places.

I hate to say it, but Charlotte is not so good of a Sports city. We have thousands of people from all over the country that live here and you don't see a lot of support for local teams here. NFL-wise you have people root for so many different teams, especially teams that have been around the league for many years. Panther support has been gradually rising (mainly due to the potential of what could be). As far as the NBA concerned, you still have a large population of people here who are still salty the Hornets left town (including myself). There hasn't been much resolve, which means not a lot of support for the Bobcats. I root for them, but I miss the old Hornets. It definitely would be nice to have a MLB team here also. Baseball in this region is pretty huge and a lot of talent comes out of it. Surely people here would rally behind it.

Originally Posted by Demps

Dallas
pimp.gif

Dallas is def a sports city, What about Houston? Astros, Rockets, and Texans

the only thing i know about houston is that they are jealous of us Dallas fans.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

So they only cheer for them if their good. if so B-More should not be on the list.

Looks at avy , then understands why you are soo bitter ...

laugh.gif
 I'm not trust me. But why you consider your city a sports city if you only cheer for your good team? 
grin.gif
I am a Cowboys fan originally from DC but lived in Baltimore for the past few years...

Baltimore fans are idiots... Of course they rep the Ravens hard as #*% on sundays, but when they lose? Absolute silence... Or they blame the refs cuz they don't know #*% about football... Not to mention EVERYTIME the Orioles play a major city team (Chi-Town, NY, Boston) Camden Yards is a #*% away game
30t6p3b.gif
Its pathetic especially when the ballpark is one of the best in the country...

Originally Posted by Crispy Cream

I hate to say it, but Charlotte is not so good of a Sports city. We have thousands of people from all over the country that live here and you don't see a lot of support for local teams here. NFL-wise you have people root for so many different teams, especially teams that have been around the league for many years. Panther support has been gradually rising (mainly due to the potential of what could be). As far as the NBA concerned, you still have a large population of people here who are still salty the Hornets left town (including myself). There hasn't been much resolve, which means not a lot of support for the Bobcats. I root for them, but I miss the old Hornets. It definitely would be nice to have a MLB team here also. Baseball in this region is pretty huge and a lot of talent comes out of it. Surely people here would rally behind it.
The Bobcats fan population will grow when Micheal Jordan fire himself as owner.

Dallas
pimp.gif

Dallas is def a sports city, What about Houston? Astros, Rockets, and Texans

the only thing i know about houston is that they are jealous of us Dallas fans.

Well, as of right now texans might be ahead of the cowboys.

Uh no dude
laugh.gif

Cubs fans are faithful.

I agree to a certain extent.  People still come out to the ballpark but thats mainly due to the attraction of Wrigley Field.

If the Cubs played in any other ballpark would they draw the same attendance? Probably not 

Heck last year they implemented promotions like dollar hot dogs in the bleachers just to entice people into coming.

My overall point is that enthusiasm surrounding the Cubs last year was almost non existent this year should be worse.

Bryan LaHair ain't putting butts in seats.

People come out to see a winner, Cubs fans are no different.

Uh no dude
laugh.gif

Cubs fans are faithful.

I agree to a certain extent.  People still come out to the ballpark but thats mainly due to the attraction of Wrigley Field.

If the Cubs played in any other ballpark would they draw the same attendance? Probably not 

Heck last year they implemented promotions like dollar hot dogs in the bleachers just to entice people into coming.

My overall point is that enthusiasm surrounding the Cubs last year was almost non existent this year should be worse.

Come to Nationals Park when the Cubs come to DC.

Cubs fans are faithful.

Come to Nationals Park when the Cubs come to DC.
There are a lot of Cubs fans when they play in DC but the majority of the fans are Nats fans, the only team that takes over the ballpark are the Phillies. The Mets used to up until '10

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

No, you guys didn't.

Thank You. I usually don't agree with everything you post but you're on the money this time. 
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
  The only real team that gets true consistent support out here are the Warriors. Despite how bad they've been, the Warriors attendance have been in the top 10. 

As a Cubs fan, Camden Yards is by far my favorite ballpark.

I hate to admit that Wrigley is somewhat of a dump but that doesn't make it any less of place. Its like a dive bar except with high prices but you still love it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom