Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

I've got a couple of questions... I finally found a real gym with all the things my previous gym didn't have.

For triceps... is doing skull crushers AND close grip bench press really that bad? (I supplement these two with triceps kickbacks, is there a better detailing exercise?) both those exercises together is fine. I would start with close grip presses and eventually go heavy, like 8-10 reps on the last 2 sets. With the skullcrushers, stay 10-15 reps per set. Kickbacks are good, but I prefer overhead rope extensions and cable pressdowns for detail.

For chest... is incline, decline and flat bench press just fine (like doing all 3)? I vary between barbell and dumbbell. I'd alternate the decline press with dips every other workout, and do the dips with your elbows out a little and your feet behind you. Other than that, all 3 is ok, just choose one that you'll do for 4-5 working sets and just do 3 sets of the other two for now. Rotate them each week, so if this week you start with flat, next week start with incline, etc... and don't forget to add some dumbbell or cable flyes in there afterwards.

For back... I've been doing deadlifts, unilateral dumbbell rows and weighted pull ups. Am I set? Pretty much, but add bent rows, and then non-weighted pullups with a different grip at the end of that. Only do the dumbbell rows every other workout, and experiments with some other lifts, like v-bar rows, t-bar rows, etc...

For triceps... I've just been doing preacher curls, barbell curls (straight bar). I take it you mean biceps. Add dumbbell curls in there so you have to work each arm individually and every other workout, do them as hammer curls.

For legs... I've been doing leg press (hoping to switch these with squats if my doc approves it. I have scoliosis), and will be adding in lunges. I warm up with leg curls and extensions.
Would doing leg press and squats be frowned upon? No, it wouldn't be frowned upon, just see what your doc says, cause I have no idea how severe your scoliosis may be. You could also do Hex-Bar squats as an alternative or even front squats after the leg press, since it doesn't put the same direct pressure on your spine.

For shoulders... Arnold DB press, front and sides raises. Is this fine? I'd say start doing regular miltary presses and keep your chest arched up while doing them. Also, no need for front raises, since we use the front delts so much for shoulder presses and all the bench presses. If you have even a mild scoliosis, I have a feeling your shoulders are at least a little bit rounded forward, so you want to do more to work your rear delts and traps, like wide-grip upright rows, regular upright rows, and bent laterals. Shoulders is usually as simple as 4 sets of military presses and then 3 sets of each of the following: Upright rows, upright wide-grip rows, lateral dumbbell raises, bent laterals, shrugs (in your case, I'd suggest doing the shrugs with dumbbells). I would only do that every other week. On the off weeks, just do the presses, laterals, and bent laterals 3 sets each of 8-12 reps.

My breakdown is chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs right now. I should be changign it shortly... what is most recommended?
I would try doing shoulders on their own day, or doing them with bi's and tri's and giving chest and back their own days. Legs need their own day most of the time if you want to push yourself on them enough to grow and get stronger.
Would something like:
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back
Saturday - Arms
You would def. overtrain your arms with this split. I would just take Wednesday as a rest day and start the rotation with back on Thursday, then shoulders on Friday or something like that.
be good?

Woah. Thanks for all the advice. So you'd have me do: Monday - Legs Tuesday - Chest Wednesday - Rest Thursday - Back Friday - Arms Saturday - ShouldersSunday - Rest ??? Also as far as reps go, I've been doing a lot of reverse pyramid work lately. Starting with 6 at my heaviest weight, and moving up to 8then 10. What kind of exercises is this kind of scheme really beneficial with though? Compound??? I already do upright rows... I forgot to add those. ...thencould I start the rotation again? Like do

PanaRicanRetro: good info dude, I would have told the same thing to the guy you posted in red for, good to see knowledgeable advice being handed out here.

Man we need this back in the general forum...

Good info though.. I keep reading every now and then

I've got a couple of questions... I finally found a real gym with all the things my previous gym didn't have.

For triceps... is doing skull crushers AND close grip bench press really that bad? (I supplement these two with triceps kickbacks, is there a better detailing exercise?) both those exercises together is fine. I would start with close grip presses and eventually go heavy, like 8-10 reps on the last 2 sets. With the skullcrushers, stay 10-15 reps per set. Kickbacks are good, but I prefer overhead rope extensions and cable pressdowns for detail.

For chest... is incline, decline and flat bench press just fine (like doing all 3)? I vary between barbell and dumbbell. I'd alternate the decline press with dips every other workout, and do the dips with your elbows out a little and your feet behind you. Other than that, all 3 is ok, just choose one that you'll do for 4-5 working sets and just do 3 sets of the other two for now. Rotate them each week, so if this week you start with flat, next week start with incline, etc... and don't forget to add some dumbbell or cable flyes in there afterwards.

For back... I've been doing deadlifts, unilateral dumbbell rows and weighted pull ups. Am I set? Pretty much, but add bent rows, and then non-weighted pullups with a different grip at the end of that. Only do the dumbbell rows every other workout, and experiments with some other lifts, like v-bar rows, t-bar rows, etc...

For triceps... I've just been doing preacher curls, barbell curls (straight bar). I take it you mean biceps. Add dumbbell curls in there so you have to work each arm individually and every other workout, do them as hammer curls.

For legs... I've been doing leg press (hoping to switch these with squats if my doc approves it. I have scoliosis), and will be adding in lunges. I warm up with leg curls and extensions.
Would doing leg press and squats be frowned upon? No, it wouldn't be frowned upon, just see what your doc says, cause I have no idea how severe your scoliosis may be. You could also do Hex-Bar squats as an alternative or even front squats after the leg press, since it doesn't put the same direct pressure on your spine.

For shoulders... Arnold DB press, front and sides raises. Is this fine? I'd say start doing regular miltary presses and keep your chest arched up while doing them. Also, no need for front raises, since we use the front delts so much for shoulder presses and all the bench presses. If you have even a mild scoliosis, I have a feeling your shoulders are at least a little bit rounded forward, so you want to do more to work your rear delts and traps, like wide-grip upright rows, regular upright rows, and bent laterals. Shoulders is usually as simple as 4 sets of military presses and then 3 sets of each of the following: Upright rows, upright wide-grip rows, lateral dumbbell raises, bent laterals, shrugs (in your case, I'd suggest doing the shrugs with dumbbells). I would only do that every other week. On the off weeks, just do the presses, laterals, and bent laterals 3 sets each of 8-12 reps.

My breakdown is chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs right now. I should be changign it shortly... what is most recommended?
I would try doing shoulders on their own day, or doing them with bi's and tri's and giving chest and back their own days. Legs need their own day most of the time if you want to push yourself on them enough to grow and get stronger.
Would something like:
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back
Saturday - Arms
You would def. overtrain your arms with this split. I would just take Wednesday as a rest day and start the rotation with back on Thursday, then shoulders on Friday or something like that.
be good?

Woah. Thanks for all the advice. So you'd have me do: Monday - Legs Tuesday - Chest Wednesday - Rest Thursday - Back Friday - Arms Saturday - Shoulders Sunday - Rest ??? Also as far as reps go, I've been doing a lot of reverse pyramid work lately. Starting with 6 at my heaviest weight, and moving up to 8 then 10. What kind of exercises is this kind of scheme really beneficial with though? Compound??? I already do upright rows... I forgot to add those. ...then could I start the rotation again? Like do
First off, good advice by Pana; almost word for word what I would've said. Since you're not doing squats, I would make sure you hit yourhamstrings harder, though, with romanian deadlifts if you can. Also, I'd ditch the isolation exercises for your warmup, and warmup doing light compoundmovements like bodyweight squats and good mornings with just a bar (your medical condition permitting, of course).

It doesn't really matter too much when you do a 5-day split. You can do it pretty much however you want, since each muscle group doesn't affect theothers all too much. Here's what I do and the rationale for the order:

Monday: Chest (Favourite workout of the week, so I do it first.)
Tuesday: Back (Get the 2nd major upper body muscle group out of the way)
Wednesday: Shoulders (Smaller muscle = lighter day to rest up after doing two hard days)
Thursday: Arms (By now, biceps and triceps have had enough rest from the first 2 days)
Friday: Legs (Hardest day, so I do it last to get 2 full days of rest after)
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

In addition, I do abs on M/W/F, and throw in cardio and yoga whenever I feel like it, ususally 1-2x per week. I do a lot of functional training, though, soit's more like almost every day is a full body functional workout, but each day has a different emphasis.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

What are the best exercises for rotator cuffs, and how often should they be done?

External and Internal rotation. Once a week is sufficient.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Would something like:
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back
Saturday - Arms
be good?

Woah. Thanks for all the advice. So you'd have me do: Monday - Legs Tuesday - Chest Wednesday - Rest Thursday - Back Friday - Arms Saturday - Shoulders Sunday - Rest ??? Also as far as reps go, I've been doing a lot of reverse pyramid work lately. Starting with 6 at my heaviest weight, and moving up to 8 then 10. What kind of exercises is this kind of scheme really beneficial with though? Compound??? I already do upright rows... I forgot to add those. ...then could I start the rotation again? Like do
First off, good advice by Pana; almost word for word what I would've said. Since you're not doing squats, I would make sure you hit your hamstrings harder, though, with romanian deadlifts if you can. Also, I'd ditch the isolation exercises for your warmup, and warmup doing light compound movements like bodyweight squats and good mornings with just a bar (your medical condition permitting, of course).

It doesn't really matter too much when you do a 5-day split. You can do it pretty much however you want, since each muscle group doesn't affect the others all too much. Here's what I do and the rationale for the order:

Wednesday: Shoulders (Smaller muscle = lighter day to rest up after doing two hard days)
Thursday: Arms (By now, biceps and triceps have had enough rest from the first 2 days)

In addition, I do abs on M/W/F, and throw in cardio and yoga whenever I feel like it, ususally 1-2x per week. I do a lot of functional training, though, so it's more like almost every day is a full body functional workout, but each day has a different emphasis.

Awesome ChewToy, i'll probably copy that spilt, except do legs on Monday since I have ball on Sat/Sun.

I just did a shoulder workout today (DB shoulder press, upright row, bent over lateral, lateral raise and shrugs) but I didn't really feel the burn,especially on the shoulder press.. should I increase weight or reps/sets?

Im currently doing 4x8 comfortable/challenging weight, but I want to feel the damn burn so it feels like im really pushing myself. Should I go higher weightwith longer rest/less rep/set?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

What are the best exercises for rotator cuffs, and how often should they be done?

Those are actually the exercises I was referring to, but I've seen so many different ways to do them, so I was wondering which ways are themost effective.

Also, if I do them on my shoulder day, should they been done first or last?

Originally Posted by I3

Would something like:
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Arms
Thursday - Legs
Friday - Back
Saturday - Arms
be good?

First off, good advice by Pana; almost word for word what I would've said. Since you're not doing squats, I would make sure you hit your hamstrings harder, though, with romanian deadlifts if you can. Also, I'd ditch the isolation exercises for your warmup, and warmup doing light compound movements like bodyweight squats and good mornings with just a bar (your medical condition permitting, of course).

It doesn't really matter too much when you do a 5-day split. You can do it pretty much however you want, since each muscle group doesn't affect the others all too much. Here's what I do and the rationale for the order:

In addition, I do abs on M/W/F, and throw in cardio and yoga whenever I feel like it, ususally 1-2x per week. I do a lot of functional training, though, so it's more like almost every day is a full body functional workout, but each day has a different emphasis.

Awesome ChewToy, i'll probably copy that spilt, except do legs on Monday since I have ball on Sat/Sun.

I just did a shoulder workout today (DB shoulder press, upright row, bent over lateral, lateral raise and shrugs) but I didn't really feel the burn, especially on the shoulder press.. should I increase weight or reps/sets?

Im currently doing 4x8 comfortable/challenging weight, but I want to feel the damn burn so it feels like im really pushing myself. Should I go higher weight with longer rest/less rep/set?

Try doing 3 sets of 12, and only take 30 second breaks between sets. Choose a weight so that you'll be struggling to get 12 on the third set (might onlyget 8-10). If you're used to doing 4x8 with a lot of rest, you'll probably have to drop the weight a bit, but trust me; you'll feel it. I starteddoing this a couple years ago, and it's gotten me the best results.

Those are actually the exercises I was referring to, but I've seen so many different ways to do them, so I was wondering which ways are the most effective.

I usually do them standing but any other way is fine too.
If you're goign to do them on shoulder day then they should be done last.

Originally Posted by I3

I just did a shoulder workout today (DB shoulder press, upright row, bent over lateral, lateral raise and shrugs) but I didn't really feel the burn, especially on the shoulder press.. should I increase weight or reps/sets?

Im currently doing 4x8 comfortable/challenging weight, but I want to feel the damn burn so it feels like im really pushing myself. Should I go higher weight with longer rest/less rep/set?

Try doing 3 sets of 12, and only take 30 second breaks between sets. Choose a weight so that you'll be struggling to get 12 on the third set (might only get 8-10). If you're used to doing 4x8 with a lot of rest, you'll probably have to drop the weight a bit, but trust me; you'll feel it. I started doing this a couple years ago, and it's gotten me the best results.

Ok so 3x12 with a heavier weight.. sounds good. Yeah I just started today (well this week) so 4x8 was just something new, because the past 2 years ive alwaysstuck to a 3xX routine. I did 4x8 with around 30secs rest, but didnt really feel much. Probably my weight was too light..

But then you have that whole form vs quantity aspect that I like to keep in mind too

Mods really not tryin to help keep this thread alive
smh.gif

Originally Posted by aceofjays

Mods really not tryin to help keep this thread alive
smh.gif
Honestly, its incredibly annoying. Theres a ton of worthless threads in general and we cant even keep this informational thread alive there.
smh.gif

On another note, I LOVE working out in the winter time. I always seem to put in more work and better effort when it starts to cool down. Most people fail torealize that the "summer body" is made in the fall, not the spring.

Those are actually the exercises I was referring to, but I've seen so many different ways to do them, so I was wondering which ways are the most effective.

I usually do them standing but any other way is fine too.
If you're goign to do them on shoulder day then they should be done last.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Durden7

On another note, I LOVE working out in the winter time. I always seem to put in more work and better effort when it starts to cool down. Most people fail to realize that the "summer body" is made in the fall, not the spring.
Problem is, cardio is a PITA when it gets cold.

I was talking to my uncle who has been a fitness geek for years. He told me to stop taking Whey and Casein and to take these

Gaspari Super Pump and Size-On
superpump_250_lg-trans.png
sizeon_lg-trans.png

Based off what i just read size on is a creatine and im not trying to gain im try to lose. But heres the thing he started taking it and doing his wrkouts andhe's lost 30lbs in 90 days. Anyone use these products and if so can i get any info and opinions on these products. i think im interested in the super pumpbut not the size-on.

Superpump is basically a Nitric Oxide booster (most of them have some mix of L-Arginine, Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, Citrulline Malate, and sometimesL-Carnosine) to make your body increase it's own levels of NO within the blood to increase the blood flow to the muscles you're working and create abetter "pump" to that muscle. It also contains ALOT of caffeine (same as most NO products, not necessarily a bad thing) and a few other ingredients,but it basically helps you stay amped and focused while you're working out, which is why people tend to get good results on it. Sizeon is basicallycreatine and BCAA's, and I think they have some simple carbs, etc... but I'm not sure because I've never used sizeon. This stack, along with otherpre/post-workout stacks can help you have great workouts which could lead to great results, but I disagree with your uncle on ditching Whey and Casein protein.If you're pushing your muscles hard, you need to replenish them and keep your protein intake up. The products above don't supply your body withprotein.

Originally Posted by djkaos23

I was talking to my uncle who has been a fitness geek for years. He told me to stop taking Whey and Casein and to take these

Based off what i just read size on is a creatine and im not trying to gain im try to lose. But heres the thing he started taking it and doing his wrkouts and he's lost 30lbs in 90 days. Anyone use these products and if so can i get any info and opinions on these products. i think im interested in the super pump but not the size-on.

So he told you to stop taking a supplement of a nutrient that the body needs for energy growth and told you to take a supplement that has 0 nutritional valueand isnt necessary? Yikes.

I never do cardio so that doesnt effect me.

Superpump is basically a Nitric Oxide booster (most of them have some mix of L-Arginine, Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, Citrulline Malate, and sometimes L-Carnosine) to make your body increase it's own levels of NO within the blood to increase the blood flow to the muscles you're working and create a better "pump" to that muscle. It also contains ALOT of caffeine (same as most NO products, not necessarily a bad thing) and a few other ingredients, but it basically helps you stay amped and focused while you're working out, which is why people tend to get good results on it. Sizeon is basically creatine and BCAA's, and I think they have some simple carbs, etc... but I'm not sure because I've never used sizeon. This stack, along with other pre/post-workout stacks can help you have great workouts which could lead to great results, but I disagree with your uncle on ditching Whey and Casein protein. If you're pushing your muscles hard, you need to replenish them and keep your protein intake up. The products above don't supply your body with protein.

Thanks for the info man. I think ill try the super pump but keep my ON whey protein for post workout.

Originally Posted by saxman2112

On another note, I LOVE working out in the winter time. I always seem to put in more work and better effort when it starts to cool down. Most people fail to realize that the "summer body" is made in the fall, not the spring.
Personally, I enjoy running sprints in the cold. You warm up quick and feel warm for a good while after.

Anybody ever attempted a planche or planche push up? It's amazing how much it works your core.

Originally Posted by djkaos23

Based off what i just read size on is a creatine and im not trying to gain im try to lose. But heres the thing he started taking it and doing his wrkouts and he's lost 30lbs in 90 days. Anyone use these products and if so can i get any info and opinions on these products. i think im interested in the super pump but not the size-on.

So he told you to stop taking a supplement of a nutrient that the body needs for energy growth and told you to take a supplement that has 0 nutritional value and isnt necessary? Yikes.

I never do cardio so that doesnt effect me.

Yep thata what he said. I was like
alien.gif
No protein. I was like yeah youvebeen at it for some time and youve lost a lot of weight recently but protein isnt in neither one of these product, so ill continue to take my protein postworkout.

Back
Top Bottom