Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by dead in 09

Can somebody school me on doing HIIT on the elliptical?

I've been doing HIIT on the treadmill for awhile now, even though it is effective, I am getting bored and would like to change it up.

Should I use the elliptical with the handlebars while doing HIIT, or just do the one w/o them? Is it as effective as the treadmill? Do you use resistance?

Thanks
I cut a lot of weight doing this. I used the handlebars so I could sprint with more intensity. I found a resistance level where sustaining 100rpm was my absolute maximum effort. Then, the rest is easy. I sprinted at 85-90% for 20 seconds, and jogged for 40 seconds. Rinse and repeat. 20 mins.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

I've been doing HIIT on the treadmill for awhile now, even though it is effective, I am getting bored and would like to change it up.

Should I use the elliptical with the handlebars while doing HIIT, or just do the one w/o them? Is it as effective as the treadmill? Do you use resistance?

Thanks
I cut a lot of weight doing this. I used the handlebars so I could sprint with more intensity. I found a resistance level where sustaining 100 rpm was my absolute maximum effort. Then, the rest is easy. I sprinted at 85-90% for 20 seconds, and jogged for 40 seconds. Rinse and repeat. 20 mins.
So, the next question is...how do you gauge what your sprint and jog levels are?

to make it easier for me, can you give me some exact levels on the elliptical screen that you use? example: when I did HIIT on the treadmill, I jogged @ 6.5and sprinted @ 9.5. So, obviously on the elliptical you cannot gauge it by mph...

Thanks for the help, I just like going into a workout knowing I'm doing everything right.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by kngpin88

Any advice on keeping strength up while cutting? Its about that time in a month or two and every year my strength drops drastically. Ex last fall I went from finishing my dumbbell press sets with 120lbs to struggling with 90lbs towards the middle of the summer. Any advice is appreciated.

Cut carbs instead of protein or fat. I've got a couple more effective untraditional ideas. Doubt you wanna hear 'em though.
Of course you cut carbs on a cut, but he asked for tips to keep strength up. Kngpn88 yeah I liked white flood but Jack3d is nice as well. Also try intrabolic, its a intra supplement that helps you recover between sets but its more useful on a cut where you cant intake the amount of carbs you should when trying to gain lean muscle.
You can go high fat instead of high carb. You can fast. You can undereat during the day and overeat at night. So many ways to keep strength. Just take a pick

Over eating at night? isnt that bad cause all that food just sits there then? Im indian so a lot of my home cooking has carbs in it like roti or rice

Thanks
I cut a lot of weight doing this. I used the handlebars so I could sprint with more intensity. I found a resistance level where sustaining 100 rpm was my absolute maximum effort. Then, the rest is easy. I sprinted at 85-90% for 20 seconds, and jogged for 40 seconds. Rinse and repeat. 20 mins.
So, the next question is...how do you gauge what your sprint and jog levels are?

to make it easier for me, can you give me some exact levels on the elliptical screen that you use? example: when I did HIIT on the treadmill, I jogged @ 6.5 and sprinted @ 9.5. So, obviously on the elliptical you cannot gauge it by mph...

Thanks for the help, I just like going into a workout knowing I'm doing everything right.
everyone's goning to have different numbers. it boils down to what your individual max effort, and how long you can sustain that. figure outyour max effort that you can put in for 20-30 seconds a reference. you should be at a high resistance level, but your speed should definitely be a sprint. now, if that's your 100% effort, you should be doing around 85-95% of that as your "work" interval, and a light jog speed for your"rest" interval. of course, this will change as your body get conditioned, but you should be able to gauge your effort without looking at thenumbers on a machine at this point. when you feel like you're not hitting that 85-95% effort, increase your speed or resistance.

btw, HIIT is best done on a track rather than a treadmill. i think elliptical is better than a treadmill for HIIT, but not as good as running on a track.

Originally Posted by kngpin88

Any advice on keeping strength up while cutting? Its about that time in a month or two and every year my strength drops drastically. Ex last fall I went from finishing my dumbbell press sets with 120lbs to struggling with 90lbs towards the middle of the summer. Any advice is appreciated.

Cut carbs instead of protein or fat. I've got a couple more effective untraditional ideas. Doubt you wanna hear 'em though.
Of course you cut carbs on a cut, but he asked for tips to keep strength up. Kngpn88 yeah I liked white flood but Jack3d is nice as well. Also try intrabolic, its a intra supplement that helps you recover between sets but its more useful on a cut where you cant intake the amount of carbs you should when trying to gain lean muscle.
You can go high fat instead of high carb. You can fast. You can undereat during the day and overeat at night. So many ways to keep strength. Just take a pick

Over eating at night? isnt that bad cause all that food just sits there then? Im indian so a lot of my home cooking has carbs in it like roti or rice

I would think it wouldnt be that bad 2+ hours before going to sleep, moreso for those who workout at night. I'm west Indian and the first thing I cut outwas roti. I think by just doing that and eliminating a major portion of the enriched flour that is totally unecessary helped me shed some pounds.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

my workout shoes are fivefingers kso's
pimp.gif
. great for lifting, great for running too (even though i'm very flat footed). be prepared to answer questions if you rock them anywhere outside your house though
laugh.gif

84200796-250x250-0-0_Vibram+Vibram+Fivefingers+KSO+Mens+Black+46.jpg

I actually considered buying these for the gym
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

How are they for running on the treadmill?

Thanks

to make it easier for me, can you give me some exact levels on the elliptical screen that you use? example: when I did HIIT on the treadmill, I jogged @ 6.5 and sprinted @ 9.5. So, obviously on the elliptical you cannot gauge it by mph...

Gauge what your sprint level is depending on what your max effort is. Do this: Jump on the eliptical, and sustain 100 RPM. Then keep increasing the tensionuntil you cannot get the RPMS higher than that, no matter how hard you work. That's 100% effort (duh, haha). Then you just stay between 85-95% (RPM) foryour sprints. Do your jogging intervals at the fastest pace that lets you recover enough to do the next sprint at 85-95%.

For me, I found the perfect level to be level 12 tension on the machine I used, but eliptical machines vary A LOT by brand.

getting back into the gym after vacation is tough

I was in mexico and then cought tonsilitis on the flight home so I've been out of the gym for a few weeks now.

Today was my first day back and I feel so weak =( I couldnt wait to finish the antibiotics I still have 3 days left...but I feel like I was loosing my buttlol.....the scale said I lost a couple pounds too

any tips for getting back into the routine after being sick?

^just jump back in like you never stopped. i took a 4 month "break" lol and i just started going back last week and man it feels good

i also hit a new PR on deadlifts today..225
pimp.gif
. i used to rep 165 but today i did 185x8 and 225x1. felt real good to finally use 2 plates

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Originally Posted by Al Audi
Info on tupperware?
laugh.gif

Never seen anything like that. I think if I was packin' lunch in something like that I would be more inclined to bring my own lunch and I could get my portions right.

Looks good Audi, one thing I just want to mention is that I do the same thing Audi does with bringing food in a plastic tray. But to be on the safe side I urge people to make sure their trays are Food-Grade and don't contain BPA which is harmful and can be leeched into foods. BPA gets into foods when you place the food in the tray when its very hot which melts some of the plastic and it could end up in your food, so you gotta be careful with the Illuminati's clever tricks to kill us when we're trying to get healthy
laugh.gif

Honest question:

Do you really think the tupperware is that big of a deal?

I understand the point of using bio-safe watter bottles, tupperware, canisters, etc. but the danger in them is minimal. I just think theres much bigger fishto fry than having the safest water bottle.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Info on tupperware?
laugh.gif

Never seen anything like that. I think if I was packin' lunch in something like that I would be more inclined to bring my own lunch and I could get my portions right.

Looks good Audi, one thing I just want to mention is that I do the same thing Audi does with bringing food in a plastic tray. But to be on the safe side I urge people to make sure their trays are Food-Grade and don't contain BPA which is harmful and can be leeched into foods. BPA gets into foods when you place the food in the tray when its very hot which melts some of the plastic and it could end up in your food, so you gotta be careful with the Illuminati's clever tricks to kill us when we're trying to get healthy
laugh.gif

Honest question:

I understand the point of using bio-safe watter bottles, tupperware, canisters, etc. but the danger in them is minimal. I just think theres much bigger fish to fry than having the safest water bottle.
I was asking more about the sections. Putting all your food into one big pile gets them soggy and nasty. It probably doesn't make much of adifference, but I work across the street from a Taco Bell and a Burger King, so anything that would help me fight that temptation works.
laugh.gif

Info on tupperware?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Honest question:

I understand the point of using bio-safe watter bottles, tupperware, canisters, etc. but the danger in them is minimal. I just think theres much bigger fish to fry than having the safest water bottle.
I was asking more about the sections. Putting all your food into one big pile gets them soggy and nasty. It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I work across the street from a Taco Bell and a Burger King, so anything that would help me fight that temptation works.
laugh.gif
Yeah I understand you were asking about the actual container and its sections. It is a handy and great tupperware for that. I was actuallydirecting my question to Grimlock.

I plan on eating super clean for the next 12 weeks.

I've always been able to get good results while eating whatever I want, but I want to see how much better my results would be with a clean diet.

If I'm happy with what I see, I'm going to keep eating clean. If not, I'll most likely revert back to my old ways (which I really don't want todo, so I hope it pays off).

I took my before pics this morning.

I'll post before and after pics in 12 weeks.

This is what most of my meals are looking like. Def going to take some getting used to...

I swear my diet is stagnant for now. I keep looking the same I think... really need to do some cardio, but just cant be +%@%## ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I need to buysome cheap +!%% shoes so I can run on the grass (dont wanna get my 5.0's dirty lol)

I did a record on my deadlifts today, also did them barefooted, was able to get 225x6.

Is it good to pyramid up on every exercise? like all the time - i asked a while back, but got no reply. I find it much better than doing a constant weight at4x8 or 4x5 etc..

Originally Posted by I3

I swear my diet is stagnant for now. I keep looking the same I think... really need to do some cardio, but just cant be +%@%## ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I need to buy some cheap +!%% shoes so I can run on the grass (dont wanna get my 5.0's dirty lol)

I did a record on my deadlifts today, also did them barefooted, was able to get 225x6.

Is it good to pyramid up on every exercise? like all the time - i asked a while back, but got no reply. I find it much better than doing a constant weight at 4x8 or 4x5 etc..
I pyramid up on exercise, majority of them. It gives me the feel of "progression" every week. And you are right, its way better thandoing the same constant weight..

I believe pyramiding is mainly for compound exercises, but I don't see how it would hurt to do it for isolation exercises as well.

I think someone also mentioned total poundage.. as well.. 3x8 (24reps) @ 10lbs = 240lbs, 10x10lbs + 8x15lbs + 6x25lbs = 370lbs (24reps)

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

my workout shoes are fivefingers kso's
pimp.gif
. great for lifting, great for running too (even though i'm very flat footed). be prepared to answer questions if you rock them anywhere outside your house though
laugh.gif

84200796-250x250-0-0_Vibram+Vibram+Fivefingers+KSO+Mens+Black+46.jpg
I actually considered buying these for the gym
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

How are they for running on the treadmill?
they're fine on the treadmill, as long as you adjust your stride to land or the ball of your foot or midfoot with more of a bend in your kneeinstead of a typical heelstrike. i'm a sprinter and i stay away from long distance running, but for the hell of it one time i was too lazy to drive to thegym so i jumped on the treadmill at home, warmed up, and then ran with these on at the highest speed with a slight incline in long intervals with no problemsor fatigue (i think it was something like 6 miles in 45 minutes, not counting a few breaks). it definitely helps if you have strong calf muscles (soleus andgastrocnemius) because those muscles till absorb most of the shock, instead of your heel and anterior tibialis (shin muscle).

running on concrete and asphalt isn't bad either, despite having no padding, but if you try and run with heelstrike, you'll be hurting.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

I plan on eating super clean for the next 12 weeks.

I've always been able to get good results while eating whatever I want, but I want to see how much better my results would be with a clean diet.

If I'm happy with what I see, I'm going to keep eating clean. If not, I'll most likely revert back to my old ways (which I really don't want to do, so I hope it pays off).
if you need any more motivation, it helps if you read up a little on nutrition and the effects of bad dietary habits. if you're consistentand you get your optimal levels of nutrients, you should feel a lot better for sure, and that is usually enough to stick with it.

Spoiler [+]
have you seen food inc?

Info on tupperware?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Honest question:

I was asking more about the sections. Putting all your food into one big pile gets them soggy and nasty. It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I work across the street from a Taco Bell and a Burger King, so anything that would help me fight that temptation works.
laugh.gif
Yeah I understand you were asking about the actual container and its sections. It is a handy and great tupperware for that. I was actually directing my question to Grimlock.

Well Durden, he really didnt make it sound like its the biggest deal in the world. It its true what he said in terms of the cheap plastic used in somecompanies plastic containers dissolving so it is worth mentioning sir. hes not dragging you to buy a new one.

I got to do some p90X abs and chest tonight.

Question: is it bad or what's the ups/downs for working out late at nite. Ex. 9 tonite.

Also are chewy granolas bars a good snack?

running on concrete and asphalt isn't bad either, despite having no padding, but if you try and run with heelstrike, you'll be hurting.
What do you mean by heelstrike? Could you elaborate? I usually do HIIT on asphalt/concrete with my Free 5.0's and would love to minimize anyrisk/harm if any. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom