STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

wish i could build a home gym. have the funds for one but just no space
mean.gif
where there's a will there's a way! have you seen jason blaha's setup? it looks like his power rack is in a closet lol.

For the guys who haven't been in this thread a long time, we've all known Rook has no idea what he's talking about.

Ironman and Bigboss, I do what you guys suggested on squats and deadlifts, and I agree 100% that it's the best way for strength gains . However, I've barely seen any size gains. Which I don't mind at all; I'm 5'8 and have huge thighs, and if they get any bigger I'm gonna look stumpy as @#$%. Not going for the NFL running back body type :lol:.

My upper body has always been disproportionately small to my lower body though. I feel like I already have decent strength for my size, but will the 5x5 breakdown help for size gains too? I always thought it was for pure strength only (the reason why I don't squat at higher reps). I was always told that 8-12 reps= mostly size gain, anything lower=strength gain

Last edited:
Volume will make you're body grow...

I believe in listening to your body for rest, but also believe the "overtraining" fan club is full of ****.

Look at blue collar folks, farmers and such. Due to their job duties some of them have massive forearms that us white collar folks will never attain. Why? because they use that muscle everyday for 8-10 hours a day, and some folks isolate that muscle for 2-3 sets, once a week thinking they'll get the same results. It's a practice in futility.

Dat there "Farmers/country boy strength"...

These full body workouts was just the change up I needed. Will probably never do another 4 day split. Strength gains have been great. Terrible pic, but you get the point lol. Compound movements galore

Last edited:
I saw a female classmate at the gym today, and while talking with her I realized I had forgotten how small women's shoulders are. She was wearing a tank top and I couldn't help but notice.

I was able to front squat 245lbs for 4 reps. I did 235 for 8 reps and a strained the right side of my back.

Volume will make you're body grow...

I believe in listening to your body for rest, but also believe the "overtraining" fan club is full of ****.

Look at blue collar folks, farmers and such. Due to their job duties some of them have massive forearms that us white collar folks will never attain. Why? because they use that muscle everyday for 8-10 hours a day, and some folks isolate that muscle for 2-3 sets, once a week thinking they'll get the same results. It's a practice in futility.

Dat there "Farmers/country boy strength"...

I wouldnt call localized muscular fatigue to be the same thing as overtraining though.

Overtraining exists, without a doubt. To those who dont believe its real, you just havent been around the right group of people. It happens to athletes A LOT.

Ironman and Bigboss, I do what you guys suggested on squats and deadlifts, and I agree 100% that it's the best way for strength gains . However, I've barely seen any size gains. Which I don't mind at all; I'm 5'8 and have huge thighs, and if they get any bigger I'm gonna look stumpy as @#$%. Not going for the NFL running back body type
laugh.gif

My upper body has always been disproportionately small to my lower body though. I feel like I already have decent strength for my size, but will the 5x5 breakdown help for size gains too? I always thought it was for pure strength only (the reason why I don't squat at higher reps). I was always told that 8-12 reps= mostly size gain, anything lower=strength gain
5x5 is thought to be the best of both worlds but if you want size gains then you have to add some volume, higher rep sets.

Thats why I like PPL so much, it is the best of both worlds ( strength and size). 

I always start my training with a compound movement followed by accessory work that helps that movement or targets the same area.

I know Matt Ogus has a PPL split where one day is strength training then the next time you hit it, its hypertrophy training.

Lol I ask questions and state my opinions. No need to throw shade my way over a simple discussion over reps
You state your opinions but never back them up. Why don't you answer me in more than 3 words.

Lol I ask questions and state my opinions. No need to throw shade my way over a simple discussion over reps

You state your opinions but never back them up. Why don't you answer me in more than 3 words.

Every time I question what you say you defend it with a ******* remark.

I have been doing 8-10 reps for most of my lifts and then for the final set, I go until burnout. I've noticed my strength increasing more than ever. I also starting upping my calories so that may have to do with me gaining weight and more muscle mass. I'm going to eventually go back to doing 5x5 lifting but for now I'm sticking with my 10+ reps range until I reach I point where I need to switch it up.

I'm no lucky. I dont need to debate eveything just to get my point across. If you dont believe me its cool, not the end of the world dude lmao

Last edited:
i switched my routine to

5x8 for those strength + size gains :smokin

I recommed 5x8 on OHP though, because its the lift that you'll probably plateau the fastest on.

Do you increase weight with each set?
yee, 5 lbs.

I originally modified just my OHP since I stalled for a minute and it worked on adding weight to the bar, so now I just aim for 8 reps on all my exercises.

excep for squats, I keep those at 5 reps for 3 sets. I want my lower body to be proportionate to my upper too :lol:

Last edited:
Hell yeah you'll get big on 5x5. 5x5 was one of the original bodybuilding routines. Guys like Reg Park blew the hell up with it. There's 2 different 5x5s: classic 5 sets 5 reps which will make you stronger+bigger and then the 5x5 bill starr introduced that focused on getting stronger for athletes/powerlifters and programmed via ramping up sets to 1 heavy working set. This routine is also called madcow 5x5 but its the same thing.

Last edited:
Do you increase weight with each set?
yee, 5 lbs.

I originally modified just my OHP since I stalled for a minute and it worked on adding weight to the bar, so now I just aim for 8 reps on all my exercises.

excep for squats, I keep those at 5 reps for 5 sets. I want my lower body to be proportionate to my upper too :lol:

Bet. Going to switch to this when this week is up.

Bet. Going to switch to this when this week is up.
Try it out and see how you like it, my lifts haven't stalled, the only lift that I take longer to move up weight is the OHP, but thats because its much more difficult to push weight against gravity standing up.

I wouldnt call localized muscular fatigue to be the same thing as overtraining though.

Overtraining exists, without a doubt. To those who dont believe its real, you just havent been around the right group of people. It happens to athletes A LOT.

Duh, Brain Cushing trained so much, he got overtrained athlete syndrome.

I completely agree, I just don't think Joe "9-5" Schmoe is in that category. Some athletes work out multiple times a day.

Back
Top Bottom