STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I don't think a trainer is necessary to be honest. I mean I see where you're coming from but he sounds like he probably knows what he's doing enough to help her out. I think he was just asking if there was anything she should be doing that is gender specific or more volume instead of doing the same compound lifts that he is doing

Look training others isn't easy. Everyone thinks it's easy, it's not. You can really **** people up. If you are training someone and you've never done so, let them know "I would love to, so far I have learned to train myself, however you will be my guinea pig as I learn to train others." If they want to continue, by all means, as long as they know the risks.
For real, I like to think I know an average amount about training and programming but that's just through my own personal experiences with what works for me. If I were to seriously train someone else I think it would be tough and time consuming to the point were Im not sure if Id like it, you have to be 100% committed to helping them.

I don't think a trainer is necessary to be honest. I mean I see where you're coming from but he sounds like he probably knows what he's doing enough to help her out. I think he was just asking if there was anything she should be doing that is gender specific or more volume instead of doing the same compound lifts that he is doing

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... Hopefully that Google search comes up with a solution to get past that treadmill plateau. Since you know him well, sure him and his gf will be ok.

It's just like anything, nothing wrong with DIY or even attempting it. Give it the old American try.

I consider myself pretty handy, I can patch up drywall, do a little bit a plumbing, etc. however, there are big projects where I've taken a step back and said... "Hmm I'm out of my ******* element on this one, think I'll pay a professional to take care of that job."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... Hopefully that Google search comes up with a solution to get past that treadmill plateau. Since you know him well, sure him and his gf will be ok.

It's just like anything, nothing wrong with DIY or even attempting it. Give it the old American try.

I consider myself pretty handy, I can patch up drywall, do a little bit a plumbing, etc. however, there are big projects where I've taken a step back and said... "Hmm I'm out of my ******* element on this one, think I'll pay a professional to take care of that job."

Lol well I mean if he's trying to help her compete or something then yea. But it sounds like dude just wants to help his lady lose some weight. Like I said man I see where you're coming from but I don't think dude is clueless. But the treadmill plateau statement probably killed the notion that he knows what he's doing :lol: but I think I know what he means. Adding some weight training into her workouts and diet is probably all she needs

I wonder what a treadmill plateau is

Explain

I must know this secret, deep in my heart, I crave it

Last edited:
have you ever used a treadmill that can incline? well, you do that as steep as you can go until it's too tough and then flatten it out. the flat part is called the plateau.
Thanks man. 
laugh.gif

spelling bee in the phillipines

moderator: di word is PLATEAU
contestant: can you use it in a sentence please?
moderator: di lady has a hard time pinding di shoes dat pit correctly because she has plateaus.

jo koy ladies and gentlemen! *applause*

Last edited:
spelling bee in the phillipines

moderator: di word is PLATEAU
contestant: can you use it in a sentence please?
moderator: di lady has a hard time pinding di shoes dat pit correctly because she has plateaus.

jo koy ladies and gentlemen! *applause*
Those feet though   
roll.gif

Lol dude I’ve been lifting on/off for the last 10+ years. I know I have a good handle on what I’m doing when it comes to weights. Girls weightlifting on the other hand? Zero experience.

My girl hasn’t seen any results from running the treadmill in so long so I’m playing with the idea of mixing some basic lifting workouts in her regimen. I’m posting to see if there is any advice you all can give me to help her out. Anything gender specific? Honestly, I’ve never even considered this as training another person, rather, showing her basic fundamental weightlifting exercises. We’ve all been there at one point.

Thanks to the bros actually contributing some positive feedback.

Last edited:
Monday- Starting Strength
Tuesday- PPL
Wednesday- Westside
Thursday- Rest Day
Friday- Candito Training
Saturday- Zumba

:smile:

You've been given advice, it's up to you if you want to take it. No such thing as a gender specific lift, also all the programs I've listed are not gender specific either. My advice was to have her seek a trainer, simply because this is going to be frustrating and might lead to futility on both ends. It's going to take away from your workouts, because you have to focus your attention on the person you are training. So you're throwing your routine out the window Your gym sessions are going to be longer, that doesn't mean they are going to be more effective, just frustratingly longer.

I train people, six days out of the week: one on one, group, strength and conditioning for a local HS football team and program for another HS football team in the area. The one on ones are usually beginners, and it takes TIME, lots of time and PATIENCE, lots of patience. My entire concentration is focused on getting them to move correctly. I'm not working on them in between sets, so I can get my workout in too.

I'll also leave this little nugget: I DON"T TRAIN MY GF. :lol:

Even though I know what I'm doing, I always tell her to take a class IM NOT teaching. Why? When I push, she pushes back. When she's in another class, she gets **** done. Do I give her pointers now and then and work on form from time to time? Yes. However, I don't let her take my classes. That's just life advice.

That's your experience.

I don't train, but from what I've seen, newbie girls are much more willing to listen to advice than newbie men. They're much more open minded.

Last edited:
By plateau you mean she's running 5 minute miles right?

Some dude just came up behind me and told me I'm huge. Slightly violating, yet felt accomplished. :lol:

Tuesday- PPL
Wednesday- Westside
Thursday- Rest Day
Friday- Candito Training
Saturday- Zumba

smile.gif
You've been given advice, it's up to you if you want to take it. No such thing as a gender specific lift, also all the programs I've listed are not gender specific either. My advice was to have her seek a trainer, simply because this is going to be frustrating and might lead to futility on both ends. It's going to take away from your workouts, because you have to focus your attention on the person you are training. So you're throwing your routine out the window Your gym sessions are going to be longer, that doesn't mean they are going to be more effective, just frustratingly longer.

I train people, six days out of the week: one on one, group, strength and conditioning for a local HS football team and program for another HS football team in the area. The one on ones are usually beginners, and it takes TIME, lots of time and PATIENCE, lots of patience. My entire concentration is focused on getting them to move correctly. I'm not working on them in between sets, so I can get my workout in too.

I'll also leave this little nugget: I DON"T TRAIN MY GF.
laugh.gif

Even though I know what I'm doing, I always tell her to take a class IM NOT teaching. Why? When I push, she pushes back. When she's in another class, she gets **** done. Do I give her pointers now and then and work on form from time to time? Yes. However, I don't let her take my classes. That's just life advice.
This I agree with. Just from trying to help my GF develop a routine, it does add an extra element of stress when you're in the gym trying to manage two people's workouts. Now she's mainly a zumba person and it works for her. I'm studying to become a personal trainer now and just a few chapters into the material, barely scratching the surface, there is so much more depth to training someone then simply telling them what to do.

Like someone mentioned above, if she's serious about getting the best out of herself, get a trainer. They'll be able to dedicate the time to assessing where you are, where you want to go, and how to get you there backed by a credible education (hopefully 
laugh.gif
). If she works out as a hobby/to maintain good health, let her do her own research based on her own needs and let her experience some trial and error.

Tuesday- PPL
Wednesday- Westside
Thursday- Rest Day
Friday- Candito Training
Saturday- Zumba

:smile:

I'll also leave this little nugget: I DON"T TRAIN MY GF. :lol:

Agree 100% with the spoiler where you say "you push and she pushes back"

That's how my girl is. Easily discouraged, gets frustrated, gets an attitude and quits. I wouldn't train mine. But more power to those girls who are willing to learn and guys trying to teach them. I got no problem working out with her but train? Nope. I know how to pick and choose my battles

Did stiff legged DL for the first time in a while today. I usually do Romanian

MY GAWD. My hamstrings feel like they snapped 
pimp.gif

I typically call that lunge a "curtsey lunge". Its pretty good. If someone can do a shamdard lunge well then they can do a curtsey lunge properly.

Good movement.

Back
Top Bottom