The College Basketball Post

If UK finishes the year 40-0, I think the chances of Cal leaving for the NBA increase dramatically.

He will have literally achieved a perfect season...essentially the best thing you can accomplish in college basketball. (Other than back-to-back NC's, etc.)

Last edited:
was it discussed in here how/why Tony Bennett won COTY over Cal?
mean.gif
They probably consider Cal more of a manager. If there was a recruiter of the year, they'd have to name it after Cal though. 

*I think he deserved it just for making it this far with a 0 in the L column. 

If St. John's can't get one of the Hurley's or a clear cut upgrade i don't mind them letting Lave get more time to get it right

For nothing else just for Steve Lavin to get past his one graduation class

That 2011 class was not smooth can't put all that on him IMO

Last edited:
If UK finishes the year 40-0, I think the chances of Cal leaving for the NBA increase dramatically.

He will have literally achieved a perfect season...essentially the best thing you can accomplish in college basketball. (Other than back-to-back NC's, etc.)

Where is Cal going?

Do you remember the offer the Cavs put on the table for him last year? Cal knew LeBron was coming back, why didn't he jump on that offer?

What competitive team in the NBA offering that type of money and power, because he's not leaving UK just to go coach the 76ers.

good luck.......

Glad my alma mater signed Howland. Hope he has a pipeline to some better recruits.

Path looking not to bad for Duke although I am worried about Gonzaga. 

Pretty confident we'll be seeing Izzo next weekend.

Haven't watched much Utah. How good is Delon Wright? 

Last edited:
If St. John's can't get one of the Hurley's or a clear cut upgrade i don't mind them letting Lave get more time to get it right

For nothing else just for Steve Lavin to get past his one graduation class

That 2011 class was not smooth can't put all that on him IMO
Totally understand where you're coming from, but we haven't ran an offense since Dunlap was there. I just wanna win man. Tired of seeing this team struggle or underperform.

You can give Lavin all the time you want, he still can't coach. It's not like he isn't recruiting well.

Howland with SEC money behind him. :nerd:

Where is Cal going?

Do you remember the offer the Cavs put on the table for him last year? Cal knew LeBron was coming back, why didn't he jump on that offer?

What competitive team in the NBA offering that type of money and power, because he's not leaving UK just to go coach the 76ers.
Only reason I brought it up was because of this...

Where is Cal going?

Only reason I brought it up was because of this...

I read that too.

I agree, he may want to go back to the NBA but he missed out on some good opportunities last season. New York, LA, and Cleveland.

Cal's also 56 years old, he's not getting any younger, so I can't see him leaving UK for a rebuilding project in the NBA.

Cleveland offered him everything you could think of and a chance to coach LeBron (I know he wasn't signed yet) so if a team really wants him they better be ready to match or come close to what the Cavs put on the table.

My son will be playing for Vegas Prospects this summer. Troy Brown at the 1, my dude at the 5.

Let the big time offers start rolling in :smokin

I've got nothing from my guys yet so who knows what's the deal.

hoping the extension stuff is just chatter. if i had to guess, the 2 million buyout is making the brass weary and they may extend him just to get a cheaper buyout or something stupid.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/lavin-st-johns-have-had-end-of-year-talks-no-extension-discussed-yet/

NEW YORK — Steve Lavin and his higher-ups at St. John’s have begun their annual end-of-year talks but have not yet discussed an extension, a source told SNY.tv Wednesday evening.

Lavin, 50, is on record saying that he believes he will get an extension and that he needs one to be effective in recruiting going forward.

A St. John’s University spokesman told SNY.tv on Wednesday that there was nothing new to report.

Assuming an extension is forthcoming, it is “more likely” to be a four-or five-year rollover on his current six-year deal than the three years which one outlet reported. Lavin just completed Year 5 of his initial deal and and would need an extension to avoid being a lame duck entering next season.

Still, he will be out on the recruiting trail on Thursday to see 6-foot-9 Our Savior New American forward Cheick Diallo, who by the end of the week will have had coaches from Pittsburgh, Kansas and Iowa State in to see him, too. He is also considering Kentucky.

Sources told SNY.tv this week that Lavin’s future at St. John’s is in doubt, and some still believe that is the case. Lavin’s buyout is in the neighborhood of $2 million.

Until University President Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw — or another school official — releases a statement, nothing is official.

Despite a published report, Lavin did not meet Wednesday with Gempeshaw, the source said.

St. John’s lost Friday night to San Diego State in Charlotte in the Round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament.

Lavin, 50, is 226-133 for his career at UCLA and St. John’s, including an 81-55 mark with the Red Storm. He has guided them to two NCAA Tournaments and two NITs.

if that happens any chance kentucky gets dantoni or chapel

Cal isn't going to the league unless he gets a team that's loaded. I can't imagine him going to a team with 35 or 40 wins and trying to build it. No team that is already a serious threat to win will get rid of its coach for Cal. 

Last edited:

Cal isn't going to the league unless he gets a team that's loaded. I can't imagine him going to a team with 35 or 40 wins and trying to build it. No team that is already a serious threat to win will get rid of its coach for Cal. 
Only team that comes to mind is Chicago...and they really want Hoiberg. (according to rumors)

Back
Top Bottom