The College Basketball Post

Shipp
pimp.gif
his pull up jumper and fade away
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Here are the Top 25 teams in action tonight:

2. UConn - The Huskies are healthy going into their opener with Western Carolina.

5. Pittsburgh - The status of senior point guard Levance Fields is still up in the air for tonight's game against Farleigh Dickinson.

7. Texas - The Longhorns are healthy, but redshirt freshman point guard Dogus Balbay will have to sit out the final game of an 11-game suspension tonightagainst Stetson due to violating amateurism issues.

11. Purdue - The Boilermakers are healthy for their game against Detroit.

12. Oklahoma - Blake Griffin and the Sooners are ready to go with their season-opener against American - predicted to win the Patriot League.

15. Arizona State - Everyone is good to go for the Sun Devils contest against Mississippi Valley State. The word I got is that FOXSports.com's preseasonfirst-team All-American James Harden couldn't sleep last night because he was so excited.

16. Marquette - Freshman big man Chris Otule may be out a while with a foot injury while sophomore forward Joseph Fulce is also out with a stress fracture inhis knee. Both players could miss a month or so. New Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams should be alright tonight without both players against Houston Baptist.

19. Florida - Freshman forward Eloy Vargas has returned to practice, but won't play against Toledo tonight while he continues to get into shape fromoffseason ankle surgery. Sophomore wing Adam Allen is also out - probably for a couple weeks - with a knee injury.

20. Davidson - Steph Curry and the Wildcats will face Guilford at 9 p.m. ET.

24. Wake Forest - Dino Gaudio will be without starting point guard Ishmael Smith, who could return next week from ankle surgery. Look for Gaudio to go with astarting lineup of Jeff Teague, L.D. Williams, James Johnson, freshman Al-Farouq Aminu and Chas McFarland tonight against North Carolina Central.

25. Villanova - The Wildcats will open tonight against Albany and be without forward Shane Clark, who is expected to return from a knee injury in a coupleweeks.

RANDOM NOTES: Georgia freshman Trey Thompkins status is up in the air for tonight's game against USC Upstate. … Wisconsin freshman Ryan Evans will redshirtthis season. … Providence coach Keno Davis also intends to redshirt Jamine "Greedy" Peterson.

24. Wake Forest - Dino Gaudio will be without starting point guard Ishmael Smith, who could return next week from ankle surgery. Look for Gaudio to go with a starting lineup of Jeff Teague, L.D. Williams, James Johnson, freshman Al-Farouq Aminu and Chas McFarland tonight against North Carolina Central.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

We gon' get ran out the building...

Cause if those are the same _'s I was hooping w/ over the summer...
sick.gif
roll.gif

Teague and LD are gonna have a field day. Lucky Ishmael is out..

Liberty vs Montreat tonight...gonna be there
pimp.gif
Curry was rippn it up inthe scrimmages againts D1 schools ECU and Appy State.
smokin.gif

Providence coach Keno Davis also intends to redshirt Jamine "Greedy" Peterson.

I remember when he was getting a lot of hype when he had that big year at Fitchburg. His grades were terrible though and it killed him in the long run. AnyProvidence guys know how he has been doing?

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

being stuck at a place like Texas A&M can drive a man to drink.
You've never even been here
laugh.gif
...have you?

Dude was smashin co-eds and drinking like crazy.

Leonard has been getting some good players these last couple years.

Too many young players this year to do any damage, but hopefully we can be competitive and get to the tourney next year

How has Hamilton been able to do it tho? honestly?

always talent on his teams with no on court success.

Lester Hudson had his first game today...

Hudson, one of 50 preseason nominees in the nation for the prestigious John Wooden Award, led all scorers with 27 points, eight steals, seven rebounds andseven assists. Hudson only played 27 minutes in the game.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

How has Hamilton been able to do it tho? honestly?

always talent on his teams with no on court success.
Yea. we have never had any of our classes translate to wins. I was really surprised when he got that extension awhile back. The man can recruitlike hell, but I sometimes wonder why he has a job when I watch us play. He always looks lackadaisical on the bench and doesn't seem like a coach who canlead a team.

I thought we needed a new coach after we couldn't mak ethe tourney in Al's last season. If we are unable to finish in the top 5 in the ACC next seasonhe needs to go

Florida probes possible gambling

By Josh Peter and Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 3 hours, 35 minutes ago

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - An athletic department investigation into alleged gambling by University of Florida men's basketball standout Nick Calathes found thatthe player ran up about $600 in on-line poker debt, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Sources said the investigation did not find that Calathes or other Florida basketball players bet on sporting events, which would be a violation of NCAA rules.

University of Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley told Yahoo! Sports on Friday the probe did not find any evidence of wrongdoing that would affectplayers' eligibility or impact the school.

An NCAA spokesman said on-line poker is not considered a violation of NCAA bylaws. Under NCAA Bylaw 10.3.2, a student athlete who wagers on sports via theInternet, a bookmaker or parlay card shall be ineligible for all regular season and postseason competition for at least one year. Any second violation wouldresult in the permanent loss of eligibility in all sports.

"Obviously we were aware of some information before," said Foley, who declined to discuss any specific players. "Whether it's this situationhere or any situation we have dealt with in my 17 years as athletic director, that stuff is taken very, very seriously. We work diligently to get to the bottomof it, try to leave no stone unturned because you're protecting the institution, you're protecting the program.

"The university feels very good about where it is. We do not have a serious issue here based on the information we have."

Calathes is expected to play for Florida against Toledo in the Gators' season opener Friday. Approximately two weeks ago, sources said a team managerinformed other members of the staff of Calathes' gambling debt. The athletic department questioned all current players and at least one former player,according to sources.

Neither Calathes nor coach Billy Donovan could be immediately reached for comment.

On Thursday night, former Florida walk-on basketball player Mike Weisenberg told Yahoo! Sports he was questioned by Donovan and associate athletic director forcompliance Jamie McCloskey about his possible role in making or placing bets for teammates.

"I told them that I've never gambled on sports," Weisenberg said. "I've never had a bookie or anything like that."

Weisenberg said he had played on-line poker and had hosted games at his apartment. Weisenberg said his father Russell took a dim view of his poker playing andthe money he spent on it.

"He was giving me money that was supposed to go toward school and living expenses and then he sees me depositing it in an on-line poker account. Hewasn't happy about that … But I was just going through that whole phase where everybody was playing (poker)."

Weisenberg said he was called by Darren Hertz, an assistant to Donovan, to meet with the coach and McCloskey on Sunday. He said he was told by Donovan that theschool was looking into the matter after receiving calls from media outlets with questions about sports gambling by players and about his past legal issues.

Weisenberg was arrested in 2004 for possession of marijuana. In 2006, he was arrested on a felony charge of possession of marijuana with intent to sell anddistribute. The charges were eventually dismissed for lack of evidence. In February 2007, Weisenberg was arrested for disorderly conduct after getting into afight and was eventually fined $300.

"I've had some things I've done in my past that aren't good," said Weisenberg, who said Donovan appeared to be unaware of his legaltroubles prior to the Sunday meeting. "That's kind of why I like hanging out with those guys (Florida basketball players) now. They don't get introuble because they all know they have so much to lose."

Weisenberg played one season for Florida and said he did not go out for the team this season because he didn't have the time to devote to a role thatlikely wouldn't have included much playing time.

A source said that Weisenberg and other players were cleared by the athletic department of any involvement in sports gambling. But one player had admitted toplaying poker, although it was unknown whether it was online or a traditional game.

Stacey Osburn, an associate director of public and media relations with the NCAA, said schools are not required to report investigations in which there is noviolation discovered. In addition, she said there is no standard protocol for school's investigating gambling charges.

"All we say is that schools should follow local laws when conducting these investigations," she said. "Other than that, if they find aviolation, they are expected to report it and if they report a violation they are expected to cooperate fully in the NCAA's investigation."

Darren Baxley, the chief investigator with the University of Florida police department, said his department "is not conducting a criminal investigation atthis time. However, we're always willing to listen to and investigate all reasonable leads."

Baxley, who has been at Florida for 17 years, has a history of investigating difficult cases involving the school's athletic department.

Baxley led the investigation of former sports agent Tank Black in the late 1990s that led to uncovering widespread corruption, including the paying of collegeplayers and the theft of money by Black from the players once they reached the NFL.

In 2001, Baxley also led the investigation into gambling by former Florida guard Teddy Dupay, who was accused of placing bets on sports through anotherstudent. Dupay was eventually dismissed from the Florida team, although he was never charged in the case.

15. Arizona State - Everyone is good to go for the Sun Devils contest against Mississippi Valley State. The word I got is that FOXSports.com's preseason first-team All-American James Harden couldn't sleep last night because he was so excited.
I'll be tuning in tonight
pimp.gif

Lester Hudson had his first game today...

Hudson, one of 50 preseason nominees in the nation for the prestigious John Wooden Award, led all scorers with 27 points, eight steals, seven rebounds and seven assists. Hudson only played 27 minutes in the game.
GOT DAMN.

eek.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif

I thought Snaer would have went with Missouri since it seemed he had ties there. Dude will be another Von Wafer there and bounce early.

Back
Top Bottom