the Official Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao thread March 13 2010

^ yep argued my post with with smilies good for you tell me something PBF cant do then maybe you will have a point but some people just hate to hate. Im notsaying Manny not that dude but to the majority of US fans hes new who has he beat and what has he done to say that Manny > PBF? nothing PBF can win all thetitles that Manny has if he wanted to and you know that!

indifferent.gif
i hope this makes me cool 2

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Pacman doesn't need to fight PBF, he stands in a class all by himself.
I agree Manny does not need to fight PBF
Pacman dont have to do another single thing in the ring. His legacy is cemented after that performance vs Cotto. He will go down in history for his weight jumps and being 7 time champ.
and to come up to 147 and STOP Miguell Cotto. Two Time Champ and a Bully whos known for breaking other welters down

Mayweather needs to beat Pacman more than Pacman needs to beat him.
PBF needs this fight more than anything in the world right now.

I'll tell u what, If Pacman losed it wont even dent his image, because he has fought all the fights and made all the moves.

If mayweather loses, he is forever scarred and known as the guy who was welterweight Champ who came up and didnt face the top 3 guys and when faced he faced Manny, he got exposed.

Floyd Mayweather NEEDS THIS FIGHT

if Manny does not pick up this fight hes a flash in the pants he got hot had some fights against ok opponents and some big fights against aging fighters who by the way have already been demolished by PBF.

What the hell are you talking about?
roll.gif
The man has become a champ in7 divisions! I'm not taking away anything from Mayweather he's a great fighter, but dude went the distance with Zab Juduah.
laugh.gif

Be interested to see how negotiations for this fight unfold. I can see both parties walking away a few times as they haggle over splits.
Agreed, it needs to be 50/50, nothing else will work. This is the most either will make compared to any other fight, so reason not to split

Pac vs. PBF = JMM vs. PBF

I expect pretty much the same result, but with Pac getting a flurry or two in to give the crowd hope. I'd be surprised if he won 4 rounds vs PBF.

That's why boxing has taken a nose dive because we have fighters like Mayweather that bore us to death.

I give it to the man, he's an excellent boxer but his style is really boring. Dug, weave, counter, move. Move... move some more. Yawn! If you guys appreciate his defensive style, cool. Me personally I like KO's, aggression and blood! That's what I am paying $60 for.

I mean look at his last fight vs Marquez. Dude couldn't even knock him out. Boring decision. It took the guy 10 rounds to KO sorry %*% Hatton. 10 rounds?
eyes.gif
De La Hoya.. boring decision. Judah? Another boring decision. Do I really need to go on?

Hell I was more entertained seeing PBF at Wrestlemania.
roll.gif
roll.gif

080401_SNUT_wweEX.jpg

Hopefully this fight doesn't go thru and Pacman fights Mosley instead.

when someone says mayweather is a boring fighter.. it reminds me of how people listen to music.. you're basically saying you like soulja boy cuz he makesthe commercial rap compared to.. lets say lupe for the deep lyrics and stories..
grin.gif

what was there to debate in your post? You really dont know what your talking about and you didnt really make much sense. "flash in the pants" word,Manny is a flash in the pants... the guy has been 7 time champion. a "flash in the pants" is someone like Buster Douglas.

floyd mayweather is gonna go down as the best? thats what you said right? do I really need to address that. seriously?

Floyd may be the best defender? hes not even the best lightweight nor Welterweight defensive fighter... pernell whitaker, and its not close.

and when did I say Manny is better than Floyd or could beat him? I said His legacy is FAR greater than Floyds, there is not even a shred of a piece ofargument otherwise.

while Floyd was duckin Cotto , Pacman went out and beat his %%%...

"just hate to hate"
Brilliant

laugh.gif
its funny, someone has the nerve to say 'why do people co-sign me?' but no one will stand up and say somethin about the pure ignorance in thisdudes post
smh.gif
unreal

^ yep argued my post with with smilies good for you tell me something PBF cant do then maybe you will have a point but some people just hate to hate. Im not saying Manny not that dude but to the majority of US fans hes new who has he beat and what has he done to say that Manny > PBF? nothing PBF can win all the titles that Manny has if he wanted to and you know that!

indifferent.gif
i hope this makes me cool 2
roll.gif
No it just makes you look a lame. We know PBF has theskills to be the best, but in order to be the best you have to fight the best, NAME ME ONE TOP WW HE HAS BEATEN?

Interview with Fred Roach regarding Mayweather's interview.

Manny's camp looking ahead

It's been only two days since Manny Pacquiao's historic 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto on Saturday night in Las Vegas to win a welterweight title -- Pacquiao's record seventh in a seventh division -- but already the focus is firmly on a potential Pacquiao showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

And Freddie Roach, the trainer Pacquiao now refers to as "my master," is licking his chops for the fight after seeing Pacquiao cut through a big, strong welterweight like Cotto.

"I've thought about Mayweather for a long time now," Roach told ESPN.com from his Wild Card gym in Hollywood, Calif., on Monday. "He's the ultimate opponent. His style does pose some problems because he's very good at what he does. But after seeing Manny with Cotto, Manny showed he takes a punch well. We'll definitely knock Mayweather out. He'll break down. He can't stand up to Manny's pressure. He won't last as long as Cotto.

"I got a feeling Mayweather doesn't really want to fight Manny. When he says he wants 65 percent [of the revenue], that's like saying he doesn't want to fight," he said.

Roach had heard about Mayweather's first public comments about the possible mega-fight, which if made would almost certainly challenge the pay-per-view buy record of 2.4 million set by Mayweather's fight with Oscar De La Hoya in May 2007.
Roach isn't buying Mayweather's talk, especially considering Pacquiao is obviously a far superior fighter now than he was during his days as a flyweight, when he was weight drained and was stopped twice, once in 1996 as a teen and again when he lost the title in 1999 at age 20.

"Floyd can say what he wants, but I saw Floyd get almost beat by Oscar and when he fought [Jose Luis] Castillo for the first time," Roach said.

Castillo lost the lightweight title to Mayweather via decision in 2002 in what was the toughest fight of Mayweather's career. Mayweather won more convincingly in the rematch later that year. Castillo was one of Pacquiao's main sparring partners to prepare him for the fight with Cotto, so Roach talked to Castillo about Mayweather.

"I talked to him about Mayweather when we had him in camp with us and he told me Pacquiao is faster and hits way harder than Mayweather," Roach said. "I thought Castillo won their first fight. He put pressure on Mayweather and broke him down. Whatever Floyd gives us, we'll take. Manny will him on the arms, the shoulders, wherever he can, and Mayweather will feel it. There's no way Mayweather can win the fight running, and that's what he does best."

If the fight happens, the date of March 13 has been floated. However, Roach thinks that is too soon.

Although Pacquiao beat Cotto, it was a physically demanding fight. Pacquiao suffered a broken right ear drum in addition to the cuts and bruises on his face, Roach said.

"May or June, in that ballpark," Roach said about when he thought the fight should happen. "March may be too close to get a big fight like that going. I'd like to see Manny take a rest and then get into it. We'll have a change in sparring partners and style because Mayweather is so different than our last four opponents [Cotto, Ricky Hatton, De La Hoya and David Diaz]. We have to study him really hard. But I know Mayweather really well. I just need Manny to see what I see.

"I would love to see Manny knock this guy out and then retire," he said. "There's no place to go after that. We will break Mayweather down. He's a fragile guy. I know he is hard to get to but we will get to him. Manny can match Mayweather's speed and he has better footwork and more balls."

Until Floyd has beaten a top 3 welterweight, he'll be #2 in my book. If you wanna discredit Pac on DLH and Hatton then you would have to discredit Floydfor the same thing. And this is coming from one of Moneys biggest supporters on here.

[table][tr][td]
pacquiao_cotto_91114_008a_240x230_20091116.jpg

[/td] [td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
article_logo_date.gif

Monday Nov 16, 2009[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]What say you, readers? You on board with Frank's take?[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [/td] [td] [img]http://www.thesweetscience.com/images/print_boxing_article.gif[/img][/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [img]http://www.thesweetscience.com/images/email_boxing_article.gif[/img][/td] [/tr][/table][h1]Pacquiao Seals "Fighter Of The Decade" With Victory Over Cotto[/h1]
By Frank Lotierzo

Heading into 2009 the debate as to who was the "Fighter Of The Decade" was still up for grabs between Manny Pacquiao 50-3-2 (38) and Floyd Mayweather Jr. 40-0 (25) as both had a legitimate claim to the honor. Both Pacquiao and Mayweather captured multiple division titles over the last ten years and were considered the best pound for pound fighter in boxing circa 2000-2009.

Mayweather has remained undefeated since making his pro-debut in 1996 and Pacquiao's only defeat in the last 10 years came in 2005 against Erik Morales who he later defeated in two subsequent rematches. Another commonality that Pacquiao and Mayweather shared during the decade is they both defeated Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in three of their biggest and most high profile bouts fought between featherweight and junior middleweight.

This past weekend Pacquiao took apart Miguel Cotto, a fighter many boxing aficionados believe Floyd Mayweather had no intention of fighting since Cotto moved up to welterweight. And it's Pacquiao's victory over Cotto to capture the WBO welterweight title that erases any doubt whatsoever as to who has earned the distinction as the fighter of the 2000's.

No matter how you try to twist and spin it, there isn't one case that can be made favoring Mayweather over Pacquiao for the Ring Magazine award that Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard earned for their body of work compiled during the 1970's and 1980's. Roy Jones was voted the fighter of the 1990's, but the case supporting him wasn't as overwhelming as it was for Ali and Leonard. Although Jones did dominate two undisputed all-time greats when he beat Bernard Hopkins and James Toney, who were a combined 66-1-2 when he fought them.

Boxing fans and observers understand that it doesn't matter how many fights a particular fighter has won, it comes down to who did he/they beat? Nobody goes undefeated if they constantly fight the best available opposition they can once they've achieved the championship/superstar level.

Muhammad Ali lost the biggest and most anticipated fight in history to "Smokin" Joe Frazier and was still voted "Fighter Of The Decade." And that's because he came back and beat Frazier twice, fought Ken Norton three times going 2-1, beat George Foreman for the undisputed title, beat Jerry Quarry twice and also beat Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers in between 1970-77.

Sugar Ray Leonard defeated hall-of-famers and all-time greats Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns and Marvin Hagler who were a combined 166-3-2 when he fought them. And two of those three losses were Marvin Hagler's and he hadn't lost in 11 years before fighting Leonard.

The same applies to Pacquiao when it comes to beating first tier opposition. Manny is 5-1-1 versus Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez. All three are absolute hall-of-famers along with being great fighters. Add to that Miguel Cotto at 145 and Mayweather's resume simply doesn't compare to Pacquiao's as far as depth. Sure they both defeated Marquez, but Pacquiao fought him at his more natural weight and at a time when he was clearly closer to being at his best.

Mayweather also had his share of big wins during the 2000's beating Jesus Chavez, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo twice and Zab Judah. That said, Mayweather cannot claim a victory during the last ten years over a certifiable great fighter who wasn't past their prime or fighting out of their natural division when he fought them.

During the years 2007-09 both Pacquiao and Mayweather beat Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton. However, Oscar was an empty package with a big name when they beat him. And beating Ricky Hatton is a wash and doesn't justify "Fighter Of The Decade" for either Manny or Floyd. In order to make the case for Pacquiao over Mayweather or the opposite, it requires going deep into their body of work over the last ten years to build the case.

When all is said and done and in spite of him not going undefeated the entire decade, Manny Pacquiao's body of work is deeper and more impressive than Floyd Mayweather's. Forget about who is the more technically sound and proficient fighter, or who's the most exciting and more entertaining to watch; none of that comes into play for this honor.

Many will argue that Pacquiao's strongest claim over Mayweather is the fact that he won more titles in different weight divisions than Mayweather did. But titles aren't the be all end all to resolve or settle this debate. They both worked the system in some ways to gain a couple of those titles. What carries the most weight and is the truth detector here is, Pacquiao beat better opposition in big fights than Mayweather did.

And if it were close heading into their last fight of 2009, Pacquiao erased all doubt with his dominant performance against Miguel Cotto - who happens to be superior to any welterweight Floyd Mayweather has ever fought. Interestingly, Cotto was Pacquiao's first fight since he began campaigning at 147.

It's undeniable - Manny Pacquiao is the "Fighter Of The decade" circa 2000-2009.

What? are you kidding me
laugh.gif

PBF has a spotless record he has beaten the hell out of anyone put in front of him this guy may go down as the smartest fighter of all time and the best defender of ALL TIME.

if Manny does not pick up this fight hes a flash in the pants he got hot had some fights against ok opponents and some big fights against aging fighters who by the way have already been demolished by PBF.

your gona say Cotto is it for Manny that his claim to fame? Cotto wouldnt last against PBF and you damn well know that.

Who gave Manny a run for his money? Marquez a fight that was a draw and one some think Manny lost and he didnt stand a chance against PBF. one of the most lopsided fights i and most have ever seen.

its one thing to hate on PBF but i hate when people say he hasnt been the best and wont go down as the best how can you deminish what this guy had done? its one thing to be a hater and its another to say you think Manny can hang but that is yet to be proven all signs lead to PBF winning this fight tell me something that doesnt!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
The smartest and best defender of all time? How can anyone take what you have to say about boxing seriously after saying that?

Cotto is a real welterweight and Pac beat him to a pulp. PBF has never fought one of the top 3 welterweights. He has ducked each of them outside of Mosley. He turned down $8 million to fight a Margarito.

JMM didn't stand a chance against PBF because he moved up to his weight to fight the bigger man. JMM fought twice at 135 and jumped straight to 142 whenManny took a stop at 140 before moving up to 145.

People hate on PBF because he ducks every big fighter at welterweight. He won't go down as one of the best.

Boxing fans and observers understand that it doesn't matter how many fights a particular fighter has won, it comes down to who did he/they beat? Nobody goes undefeated if they constantly fight the best available opposition they can once they've achieved the championship/superstar level.

PBF has a spotless record he has beaten the hell out of anyone put in front of him this guy may go down as the smartest fighter of all time and the best defender of ALL TIME.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Corrales and Castillo were at their natural weights...

I agree with you with Castillo but Corrales had trouble making weight in that fight and he didnt look the same. He went up 2 135 right after the Floyd fight.

Yea but then he fought 2 back at 130 against Casamayor so I still think he was good at that weight.

Aint nobody hating on Floyd.

Its just for someone with the god given talent and knowledge of the game that Floyd has. For him to not test his abilities against the best fighters out there.Then claim to be the best fighter ever, well its just plain ludicrous.

Mayweather will run and dance for 12 rounds if he fought Pacman. Probably will end up a split decision and rematch will be ensured to garner more PPV $$$. Pacman doesn't need to fight PBF, he stands in a class all by himself.

This is why it's hard to respect Pacquiao fans.

Yea but then he fought 2 back at 130 against Casamayor so I still think he was good at that weight.
Corrales was knocked down 3 times total during those fights. He moved up right after those fights, I wouldn't say he looked good.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Corrales was knocked down 3 times total during those fights. He moved up right after those fights, I wouldn't say he looked good.

My point was that he moved back to his natural 130 weight after moving up. He had Casamayor down once in the first fight as well. He also was in the fightfor the most part in the 2nd fight and it was a SD. Casamayor fouled but he's also one of the slickest boxers of our time so I'd say it was moreCasamayor making Corrlaes not look that great.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Pacman doesn't need to fight PBF, he stands in a class all by himself.
I agree Manny does not need to fight PBF
Pacman dont have to do another single thing in the ring. His legacy is cemented after that performance vs Cotto. He will go down in history for his weight jumps and being 7 time champ.
and to come up to 147 and STOP Miguell Cotto. Two Time Champ and a Bully whos known for breaking other welters down

Mayweather needs to beat Pacman more than Pacman needs to beat him.
PBF needs this fight more than anything in the world right now.

I'll tell u what, If Pacman losed it wont even dent his image, because he has fought all the fights and made all the moves.

If mayweather loses, he is forever scarred and known as the guy who was welterweight Champ who came up and didnt face the top 3 guys and when faced he faced Manny, he got exposed.

Floyd Mayweather NEEDS THIS FIGHT
What? are you kidding me
laugh.gif

your gona say Cotto is it for Manny that his claim to fame? Cotto wouldnt last against PBF and you damn well know that.

Who gave Manny a run for his money? Marquez a fight that was a draw and one some think Manny lost and he didnt stand a chance against PBF. one of the most lopsided fights i and most have ever seen.

its one thing to hate on PBF but i hate when people say he hasnt been the best and wont go down as the best how can you deminish what this guy had done? its one thing to be a hater and its another to say you think Manny can hang but that is yet to be proven all signs lead to PBF winning this fight tell me something that doesnt!
LOL you %#+%!%+ serious? Imma chime in later but i gotta
laugh.gif
@ that #!+$ u just said.

is it me or did cotto look like he was ready to quit AGAIN toward the end of the fight, but i was crazy when i questioned his heart after the margarito fight.the funny thing is for those of you saying floyd needs this fight for his legacy, i dont think thats true. hes not the biggest draw for no reason on top of thefact that when you start taking fights on the account of your "legacy" its a battle you cant win. cuz when he dominates pac and makes him lookfoolish then what? now he has to fight mosley for his legacy, then its berto(possibly) or moving up, that type of thing never ends. People wont be satisfiedtill he loses and then its "i told you so". People say Lennox shouldve fought Vitali again for "his legacy" like he didnt handle him thefirst fight and split his eye (w/o a butt) or rjj had to fight tarver again(1st time wasnt good enough) for his legacy and we seen how that turned out. ipersonally dont think floyd has anything to prove.

Back
Top Bottom