The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

I don't know why they organize a better "charity" circuit. Like each city that is hosting has their local/former college stars versus a traveling "select" squad or something like that. No point of forming a new league because it would never work or last, but there could be something in a more organized charity game structure.

Condescension and insults does not lead to worthy discussion, seasoned vet.  What good does calling people on here simple minded or simpletons do to get people to have a discussion?

Anyway.. on the issue of competitive balance, which I seem to always get weak answers or no answers at all from those crying about fairness and equal opportunity..

[h2]http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/18/nbas-competitive-balance-plan-is-lacking/[/h2]
[h2]NBA’s competitive-balance plan is lacking[/h2]
by sistaff

drose.jpg

Drafting well, which the Bulls did with Derrick Rose in 2008, is a combination of luck and good management. (AP)

The NBA’s labor situation has been so preposterous that I’ve made two lists of memorable/amusing lockout moments and quotes. But there’s one serious quote, courtesy of deputy commissioner Adam Silver, with the potential to be the most memorable of the lockout for legitimate reasons. Here’s what he said recently:
“We believe we will be proven right over time that this new model, if the players agree to it, will create a better league.

Condescension and insults does not lead to worthy discussion, seasoned vet.  What good does calling people on here simple minded or simpletons do to get people to have a discussion?

Anyway.. on the issue of competitive balance, which I seem to always get weak answers or no answers at all from those crying about fairness and equal opportunity..

[h2]http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/11/18/nbas-competitive-balance-plan-is-lacking/[/h2]
[h2]NBA’s competitive-balance plan is lacking[/h2]
by sistaff

drose.jpg

Drafting well, which the Bulls did with Derrick Rose in 2008, is a combination of luck and good management. (AP)

The NBA’s labor situation has been so preposterous that I’ve made two lists of memorable/amusing lockout moments and quotes. But there’s one serious quote, courtesy of deputy commissioner Adam Silver, with the potential to be the most memorable of the lockout for legitimate reasons. Here’s what he said recently:
“We believe we will be proven right over time that this new model, if the players agree to it, will create a better league.

Top 1% of NBA earners want the best deal for THEMSELVES. The other 99% want to play ball and have families to feed are getting screwed.

I'm boycotting the NBA even when they reach a deal, this is sickening.

Top 1% of NBA earners want the best deal for THEMSELVES. The other 99% want to play ball and have families to feed are getting screwed.

I'm boycotting the NBA even when they reach a deal, this is sickening.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by ORSRT8

I read that Stern wants the Union and owners to get back to the negotiating table , but no calls have been made yet... Well, wth is stopping them?

Pride
Latest reports are saying that the owners are in no rush to get back to the "negotiating table"...
indifferent.gif

I read that Stern wants the Union and owners to get back to the negotiating table , but no calls have been made yet... Well, wth is stopping them?

Pride
Latest reports are saying that the owners are in no rush to get back to the "negotiating table"...
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33
My stance on equal play is that the league will never have the perfect union until they affect the schedule.  If they want to be "NFL" style, then stop making the T-Wolves play the Lakers 4 times.  Have them play the Pacers 6 times instead, like the NFL does.  NFL schedule is simple, you play your division twice, another division one each, and then the same slot as your finish in your conference.  If you were last, you play last place teams, you were first, you play first place teams, boom, one year jumps just like that.  You suck one year, get good draft picks, and play a crappy schedule the next year, just like that you can compete for a title. 

Having the T-Wolves play LA, Spurs, Mavs and Thunder 4 times each is NOT going to help balance out the league.  I'm sorry, it's not. 

I don't see any difference between when small market Portland spent more money than anybody and lost, and the big market Knicks spend more money and lose.  Nobody ever ever ever explains that. 

Sharing money, taking draft picks, slanting schedule, better GM's, better contracts, lack of injuries, until ALL of that is taken care of, there's never going to be a 30 team chance for a title NBA season, ever.  The best 5 guys are going to get their teams 85% of the way, just need other chips to get the 15% you need.  It will forever be this way, the owners are full of @#$% with their "we will show you" stance. 

As for Vet, let him prattle away all he wants, he thinks he's on to something but he's not.  He wants a bunch of exhibition games to bring the owners to their knees, it's a nice story, but it's delusional as all get out.  It's my fault for even replying to him in the first place so he thinks it's ok to come in here and talk nonsense.  My bad. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33
My stance on equal play is that the league will never have the perfect union until they affect the schedule.  If they want to be "NFL" style, then stop making the T-Wolves play the Lakers 4 times.  Have them play the Pacers 6 times instead, like the NFL does.  NFL schedule is simple, you play your division twice, another division one each, and then the same slot as your finish in your conference.  If you were last, you play last place teams, you were first, you play first place teams, boom, one year jumps just like that.  You suck one year, get good draft picks, and play a crappy schedule the next year, just like that you can compete for a title. 

Having the T-Wolves play LA, Spurs, Mavs and Thunder 4 times each is NOT going to help balance out the league.  I'm sorry, it's not. 

I don't see any difference between when small market Portland spent more money than anybody and lost, and the big market Knicks spend more money and lose.  Nobody ever ever ever explains that. 

Sharing money, taking draft picks, slanting schedule, better GM's, better contracts, lack of injuries, until ALL of that is taken care of, there's never going to be a 30 team chance for a title NBA season, ever.  The best 5 guys are going to get their teams 85% of the way, just need other chips to get the 15% you need.  It will forever be this way, the owners are full of @#$% with their "we will show you" stance. 

As for Vet, let him prattle away all he wants, he thinks he's on to something but he's not.  He wants a bunch of exhibition games to bring the owners to their knees, it's a nice story, but it's delusional as all get out.  It's my fault for even replying to him in the first place so he thinks it's ok to come in here and talk nonsense.  My bad. 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Pride
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif

At this point I have no expectations for anything. Before I was optimistic... But now Im expecting pretty much the worst.
ohwell.gif

Pride
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif

At this point I have no expectations for anything. Before I was optimistic... But now Im expecting pretty much the worst.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

Disagree. Hard (or whatever way the owners are gift-wrapping it) cap means the "99%" will have very little job security once this new system is implemented. They should be the MAIN ones fighting to preserve their middle class status.

Disagree. Hard (or whatever way the owners are gift-wrapping it) cap means the "99%" will have very little job security once this new system is implemented. They should be the MAIN ones fighting to preserve their middle class status.

let me get this straight. playing these same games in a bigger venue, with better cameras, on national network = a billion holes? jesus, i thought it just added up to 3? 
Which players?
Insurance?
Who pays for all of it?
Who does the television network negotiate with? 
Who gets the money?
How does that money get split?
Refs?
Scorekeepers?
Ball boys?
Coaches?
Medical personnel?
Tickets?
Cost?
Vendors?
Marketing?
Dates/scheduling?

By the way, all these questions I just asked, that's NOT for a league, just some games like you said.  You said to make a THREAT to the NBA owners, no cell phone cameras, etc.  So here you go, all these need to be addressed, to run a few real games.  The pick up games they played over the summer, just that, pick up games.  To bring an actual THREAT to the owners, you need more than a pick up game.  To get a network, you need more than a pick up game.  And if you go more than a pick up game, then you need all this stuff I listed here. 

Are you done now?  Are you going to get it thru your head that this isn't entirely feasible unless they fully fully go 100% all in for another league, which would be very very difficult.  You can not go halfway and just get a better camera to shoot some footage.  You call us all simpletons, or likely just me, and yet all you see is 3 holes to fill.  Which one of us isn't usin the brain? 

let me get this straight. playing these same games in a bigger venue, with better cameras, on national network = a billion holes? jesus, i thought it just added up to 3? 
Which players?
Insurance?
Who pays for all of it?
Who does the television network negotiate with? 
Who gets the money?
How does that money get split?
Refs?
Scorekeepers?
Ball boys?
Coaches?
Medical personnel?
Tickets?
Cost?
Vendors?
Marketing?
Dates/scheduling?

By the way, all these questions I just asked, that's NOT for a league, just some games like you said.  You said to make a THREAT to the NBA owners, no cell phone cameras, etc.  So here you go, all these need to be addressed, to run a few real games.  The pick up games they played over the summer, just that, pick up games.  To bring an actual THREAT to the owners, you need more than a pick up game.  To get a network, you need more than a pick up game.  And if you go more than a pick up game, then you need all this stuff I listed here. 

Are you done now?  Are you going to get it thru your head that this isn't entirely feasible unless they fully fully go 100% all in for another league, which would be very very difficult.  You can not go halfway and just get a better camera to shoot some footage.  You call us all simpletons, or likely just me, and yet all you see is 3 holes to fill.  Which one of us isn't usin the brain? 

Pride
indifferent.gif
There is not a Union anymore so I'm sure they will be negotiating via the attorneys going forward which may include Hunter as well.  We won't see any action for a few weeks though.

Pride
indifferent.gif
There is not a Union anymore so I'm sure they will be negotiating via the attorneys going forward which may include Hunter as well.  We won't see any action for a few weeks though.

Play hard and you don't need to worry about job security. Right now, bloated guaranteed contracts are what's keeping the league down. Smaller (still guaranteed) contracts will keep guys hungry.

Pride
indifferent.gif

Play hard and you don't need to worry about job security. Right now, bloated guaranteed contracts are what's keeping the league down. Smaller (still guaranteed) contracts will keep guys hungry.

Back
Top Bottom