The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

Miami happened because Wade was already there and because Riley was willing to "risk" getting rid of everyone to get Bosh and Lebron. It also is in FL so it has no income tax as well as the locale.

I say "risk" because who knows how much Wade/Riley really knew ahead of time.

Miami happened because Wade was already there and because Riley was willing to "risk" getting rid of everyone to get Bosh and Lebron. It also is in FL so it has no income tax as well as the locale.

CP, I see where you're coming from and you make a lot of great points, but saying market size doesn't matter in the NBA is just not true.  Period

Signed,

Cleveland Cavaliers sports fan.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

P.S.:[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] Big J[/color]'s post at the top of the page is the most rational one in here.

CP, I see where you're coming from and you make a lot of great points, but saying market size doesn't matter in the NBA is just not true.  Period

Signed,

Cleveland Cavaliers sports fan.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

P.S.:[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] Big J[/color]'s post at the top of the page is the most rational one in here.

Finals, Port v Detroit, Port again, Suns, Houston, Magic, Sonics, Jazz twice, Spurs, Pacers. 11 freaking finals of small markets, mid markets, whatever, 03 was Spurs, 04 was mid market and NOT landmark free agent spot Detroit and again in 05 with Spurs. 07 was Spurs/Cavs. 08 was 2 teams with big trades, both well drafted role guys. 09 Magic. Every, single year give or take 2-3, a small market team is there. Add to that, who had a better decade, Suns or Knicks? Blazers or Bulls? Amare said point blank, he would be in Mia if Bron and Wade asked him, it was NOT just NY. Melo, yes he begged to be where his wife wanted. Conference finals, Suns, Wolves, Kings, Blazers, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, OKC all this decade. Bucks, Pacers, Cavs, Magic, Pistons. And I got dudes in here blaming failures on market.
laugh.gif
I do concede a move here and a move there can be a guy wanting to live in an area, I get that, but its not some huge built in easy path. That is $%%#%! *#$!#*!%, otherwise every year would be LA v Bulls/Knicks. GM failure, not market failure.

Finals, Port v Detroit, Port again, Suns, Houston, Magic, Sonics, Jazz twice, Spurs, Pacers. 11 freaking finals of small markets, mid markets, whatever, 03 was Spurs, 04 was mid market and NOT landmark free agent spot Detroit and again in 05 with Spurs. 07 was Spurs/Cavs. 08 was 2 teams with big trades, both well drafted role guys. 09 Magic. Every, single year give or take 2-3, a small market team is there. Add to that, who had a better decade, Suns or Knicks? Blazers or Bulls? Amare said point blank, he would be in Mia if Bron and Wade asked him, it was NOT just NY. Melo, yes he begged to be where his wife wanted. Conference finals, Suns, Wolves, Kings, Blazers, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, OKC all this decade. Bucks, Pacers, Cavs, Magic, Pistons. And I got dudes in here blaming failures on market.
laugh.gif
I do concede a move here and a move there can be a guy wanting to live in an area, I get that, but its not some huge built in easy path. That is $%%#%! *#$!#*!%, otherwise every year would be LA v Bulls/Knicks. GM failure, not market failure.

Originally Posted by DubA169

i got a question

would the miami heat trio happen if it wasn't by a beach?

miami isnt a big market as much as you guys like to gloss over the fact

Big J 33 wrote:

partially true

i know how much they risked

zero

colllusion > market size

thank you 

i got a question

would the miami heat trio happen if it wasn't by a beach?

miami isnt a big market as much as you guys like to gloss over the fact

Big J 33 wrote:

partially true

i know how much they risked

zero

colllusion > market size

thank you 

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
What defines a small vs. medium vs. big market? Are we going by population or what's considered "media market" size? Because both numbers are vastly different. I'm just asking for the sake of clarification.

laugh.gif
What defines a small vs. medium vs. big market? Are we going by population or what's considered "media market" size? Because both numbers are vastly different. I'm just asking for the sake of clarification.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

laugh.gif

you trying to further discussion?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

laugh.gif

you trying to further discussion?

Originally Posted by Statis22

I mean I always see folks post OKC as todays model to follow but they were top 4 in the lottery 3 years.

Portland got Aldridge, Roy, & Oden in 2 drafts

I eluded earlier that I hope Jan Vesely pans out because the clock was ticking on John Wall in Washington.

Small markets that have to build through the draft have to be extremely lucky seeing how fickle the lottery can be. Pretty much got to be bottom 5 bad plus lucky.

I like how Houston(although maybe not a small-market, but definitely a mid-market) is left out of the equation.
Houston in the last 2-3 years, in my eyes is probably the best run franchise(as far as hits and misses) in these past couple of years. Houston should be the benchmark, for which these "small-market" teams model themselves after. 

Before I get flamed, let me explain myself.

Morey(Rocket's GM and easily top 5 GM in NBA) and the Rockets' as a whole, understand that they will not draw FA like Chicago/NY/LA. To combat this, they STOCKPILE on picks and young talent. I'll give guys a summary of what moves the Rockets did lately.

Got a young big in Hill and a first round pick in 2012(that is, if the Knicks somehow suck and are in the top 5 of the lottery) in exchange for injury-plagued T-Mac

- Got Courtney Lee(cheap young SG, who plays defense and can shoot) for nothing

- Traded Aaron Brooks for Gorgan Dragic and the Suns' 2011 1st round pick(classic "get good by getting bad" move, by trading decent vet to tank). The Rockets got the Magics 1st round pick instead, since the Suns missed the playoffs. But still, the Rockets got an additional first round pick nonetheless.

- Rockets traded Shane Battier to the Grizzlies, for the Grizz 2013 1st round pick(lottery protected) and Hasheem Thabeet(yes he's been a bust so far, but he's still young and cheap, and he has potential)

Rockets traded [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Donatas Motiejunas(20th pick in 2011 Draft) and Johnny Flynn(once again, cheap young player w/ potential) to Minnesota, for the Rockets' 2013 1st round pick(lottery protected) and Brad Miller.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So for those who don't like to read, let's go over and see what the Rockets did in the past 2 years.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Received a young big in Jordan Hill in 2010[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got a cheap young SG in Courtney Lee and cheap young big Thabeet in 2011 [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Had 2 first round picks in the 2011 draft[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got Motiejunas(20th pick in '11 draft, cheep young player w/ potential) and Johnny Flynn(cheap young player w/ potential)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have 2 first round picks in 2012(assuming the Knicks miss a top 5 lottery selection in the 2012 draft)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have 2 first round picks in 2013(assuming the Grizz make the playoffs in 2013)[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, the Rockets haven't made the playoffs in two years, and they don't have a franchise player. However, they're  on the right track, by getting all these picks and young players. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, let's not act like, it's impossible to build a team, if you're a small market team.[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

Originally Posted by Statis22

I mean I always see folks post OKC as todays model to follow but they were top 4 in the lottery 3 years.

Portland got Aldridge, Roy, & Oden in 2 drafts

I eluded earlier that I hope Jan Vesely pans out because the clock was ticking on John Wall in Washington.

Small markets that have to build through the draft have to be extremely lucky seeing how fickle the lottery can be. Pretty much got to be bottom 5 bad plus lucky.

I like how Houston(although maybe not a small-market, but definitely a mid-market) is left out of the equation.
Houston in the last 2-3 years, in my eyes is probably the best run franchise(as far as hits and misses) in these past couple of years. Houston should be the benchmark, for which these "small-market" teams model themselves after. 

Before I get flamed, let me explain myself.

Morey(Rocket's GM and easily top 5 GM in NBA) and the Rockets' as a whole, understand that they will not draw FA like Chicago/NY/LA. To combat this, they STOCKPILE on picks and young talent. I'll give guys a summary of what moves the Rockets did lately.

Got a young big in Hill and a first round pick in 2012(that is, if the Knicks somehow suck and are in the top 5 of the lottery) in exchange for injury-plagued T-Mac

- Got Courtney Lee(cheap young SG, who plays defense and can shoot) for nothing

- Traded Aaron Brooks for Gorgan Dragic and the Suns' 2011 1st round pick(classic "get good by getting bad" move, by trading decent vet to tank). The Rockets got the Magics 1st round pick instead, since the Suns missed the playoffs. But still, the Rockets got an additional first round pick nonetheless.

- Rockets traded Shane Battier to the Grizzlies, for the Grizz 2013 1st round pick(lottery protected) and Hasheem Thabeet(yes he's been a bust so far, but he's still young and cheap, and he has potential)

Rockets traded [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Donatas Motiejunas(20th pick in 2011 Draft) and Johnny Flynn(once again, cheap young player w/ potential) to Minnesota, for the Rockets' 2013 1st round pick(lottery protected) and Brad Miller.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So for those who don't like to read, let's go over and see what the Rockets did in the past 2 years.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Received a young big in Jordan Hill in 2010[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got a cheap young SG in Courtney Lee and cheap young big Thabeet in 2011 [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Had 2 first round picks in the 2011 draft[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got Motiejunas(20th pick in '11 draft, cheep young player w/ potential) and Johnny Flynn(cheap young player w/ potential)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have 2 first round picks in 2012(assuming the Knicks miss a top 5 lottery selection in the 2012 draft)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have 2 first round picks in 2013(assuming the Grizz make the playoffs in 2013)[/font]

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, the Rockets haven't made the playoffs in two years, and they don't have a franchise player. However, they're  on the right track, by getting all these picks and young players. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, let's not act like, it's impossible to build a team, if you're a small market team.[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

How do you define "talent"? Jordan Hill sucks, who knows with Thabeet, Montiejunas is garbage, I do like Lee (who is 26 by the way, so not that young), and Flynn is another question mark.

And you're making some reaches there... I wouldn't exactly say they've "STOCKPILED" picks and talent. They have 2 extra picks the next two years, from two playoff teams most likely... so it's not as if they have 3 extra picks from the Clippers, T-Wolves, or Cavs all next season.

I see what you're saying, that you don't necessarily have to get a top 5 lotto pick and draft a future superstar, and that in theory you could build through trades and getting young players. But you've said "young and potential" a lot so there's tons of question marks around those particular players. When they package those guys with picks, make a trade for a higher pick/established player/what have you... then the Rockets should be the model and benchmark. Right now they've made some moves to get younger guys and two extra first round picks, but the jury is still out on them.

How do you define "talent"? Jordan Hill sucks, who knows with Thabeet, Montiejunas is garbage, I do like Lee (who is 26 by the way, so not that young), and Flynn is another question mark.

And you're making some reaches there... I wouldn't exactly say they've "STOCKPILED" picks and talent. They have 2 extra picks the next two years, from two playoff teams most likely... so it's not as if they have 3 extra picks from the Clippers, T-Wolves, or Cavs all next season.

I see what you're saying, that you don't necessarily have to get a top 5 lotto pick and draft a future superstar, and that in theory you could build through trades and getting young players. But you've said "young and potential" a lot so there's tons of question marks around those particular players. When they package those guys with picks, make a trade for a higher pick/established player/what have you... then the Rockets should be the model and benchmark. Right now they've made some moves to get younger guys and two extra first round picks, but the jury is still out on them.

laugh.gif
nobody is blaming anything on one thing, but to act like it doesn't have any effect is stupid.

Also we play to win the game, Lakers, Boston, Houston, Detroit Philadelphia have won ALL the championships, and even if being in a small market accounts for 5% swing in you chances of winning a championships 5% the deeper you go into the playoffs.

laugh.gif
nobody is blaming anything on one thing, but to act like it doesn't have any effect is stupid.

Also we play to win the game, Lakers, Boston, Houston, Detroit Philadelphia have won ALL the championships, and even if being in a small market accounts for 5% swing in you chances of winning a championships 5% the deeper you go into the playoffs.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Milwaukee 
laugh.gif
talk about a small market really screwing themselves last summer.

Edit:

I'm positive I posted an article awhile back comparing the parity in the NBA to the parity in the NFL and MLB. Champions wise, there isn't much parity, but comparing conference finalists, there was parity in the NBA.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

The parity is merely a function of the way NBA basketball works, only 4 teams really have a chance of winning a championship any given year, Memphis can make as many conference finals as they want they aren't going to a win a championship as currently constructed.

The NBA formula for winning a championship is simple, you need 2 superstars prferably 1 inside and permiter, (by superstar I mean HOF caliber talent to win a championship) and then a slew of role players. Superstar plays are very difficult to acquire through trade or free agency.

1. Draft
2. Free agency
3. Trade

For small and non traditional basketball markets you almost certainly will have to draft both because star players rarely go to smaller markets through trade or free agency but Traditional basketball markets/large markets have the option of all three making it easier to get the 2 necessary to win a chip.

You can make it to conference finals and even NBA finals off the back of one great player, but the entire history of the NBA proves you almost always need 2 to win the chip, unless you have Bill Walton, Hakeem Olajuwan, Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitski

Is it impossible no, if you draft really well (spurs) and manage your cap impeccably (okc) you can win but it more difficult. 

Originally Posted by PMatic

Milwaukee 
laugh.gif
talk about a small market really screwing themselves last summer.

Edit:

I'm positive I posted an article awhile back comparing the parity in the NBA to the parity in the NFL and MLB. Champions wise, there isn't much parity, but comparing conference finalists, there was parity in the NBA.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

The parity is merely a function of the way NBA basketball works, only 4 teams really have a chance of winning a championship any given year, Memphis can make as many conference finals as they want they aren't going to a win a championship as currently constructed.

The NBA formula for winning a championship is simple, you need 2 superstars prferably 1 inside and permiter, (by superstar I mean HOF caliber talent to win a championship) and then a slew of role players. Superstar plays are very difficult to acquire through trade or free agency.

1. Draft
2. Free agency
3. Trade

For small and non traditional basketball markets you almost certainly will have to draft both because star players rarely go to smaller markets through trade or free agency but Traditional basketball markets/large markets have the option of all three making it easier to get the 2 necessary to win a chip.

You can make it to conference finals and even NBA finals off the back of one great player, but the entire history of the NBA proves you almost always need 2 to win the chip, unless you have Bill Walton, Hakeem Olajuwan, Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitski

Is it impossible no, if you draft really well (spurs) and manage your cap impeccably (okc) you can win but it more difficult. 

This.

Why don't Amare/Melo/fill-in want to start their personal version of the Big 3 in Toronto CP? Hey, maybe Milwaukee? What about Sacramento? Minnesota winters are fun.

This.

Why don't Amare/Melo/fill-in want to start their personal version of the Big 3 in Toronto CP? Hey, maybe Milwaukee? What about Sacramento? Minnesota winters are fun.

This.

Back
Top Bottom