The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should’ve went all in when they had their chance but were too attached to their assets and building organically for the long term. Trying to be the next Golden State or San Antonio but you don’t have Curry/Dray or Duncan/Pop… that **** isn’t realistic. For years all the media would talk about was Boston’s assets and now look where it’s taken them. Reason why I laugh when people ask if Lakers fans regret trading their young players for the 2020 ring. I would do that **** 11/10 times it’s not even a question.
One big thing you’ll notice if you look back at what Celtics fans and media were saying in those years is that they did think Stevens (good coach) was Pop (top 5 all time coach) and that Tatum (very good player, still young) was a future MVP guy like a Curry, Duncan whoever (hasn’t been able to take that leap into top 10 type level although he still has time). And then top of that lots of talk about now reaching the ECF meant this team was already on the cusp when realistically we all know there is a massive gap between being an ECF loser and a true finals contender.

The combo of all those things- slight over optimism about every element of the team was probably a factor in some of the decisionmaking. Add getting unlucky with injuries, FA issues, bad luck with those draft picks, and the plan fell apart.

I still love Brown and Tatum as players, I don’t understand why Stevens got promoted to GM and I could see that backfiring.

Don’t think Udoka is getting all the blame at all. Everyone knows personnel is the main issue. Trying to put pieces back together after injuries to Kemba and Hayward. Make more tradable contracts. Every move made in the off-season was to do that and get under the tax.

Udoka certainly isn’t above all criticism though. It’s ok to point out things he’s doing that are really dumb and make no sense.
That depends where you look, the Boston Celtics subreddit right now is 100% blaming Udoka. He’s definitely not above criticism but it’s an incredibly tough situation as you point out. Everyone knows the roster is in flux.

SecretLoathsomeAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif
How about this one

Bostons window closed when kyrie shot them out of that second round series and than they lost key pieces in following off-season. Than they promoted the guy who lost the locker room to be the boss of the next coach.

This highlights how important picking the right job is. Imagine if Steve Kerr chose Knicks instead of warriors. Billups and udoka having rough starts to their coaching careers.

That depends where you look, the Boston Celtics subreddit right now is 100% blaming Udoka. He’s definitely not above criticism but it’s an incredibly tough situation as you point out. Everyone knows the roster is in flux.

Reddit, lol. I just peeped since you say that and your "100%" doesn't check out at all. Rightfully so. The common denominator is Tatum/Smart/Brown/Stevens who've been there throughout. Ime has been there for one half of a season.

I had this team pegged on the play-in-lotto line preseason.

Twitter fingers too. Wouldn’t do a damn thing face to face with Big Joker.
Think Keef is more of a face turned the other way kinda guy.

Reddit, lol. I just peeped since you say that and your "100%" doesn't check out at all. Rightfully so. The common denominator is Tatum/Smart/Brown/Stevens who've been there throughout. Ime has been there for one half of a season.

I had this team pegged on the play-in-lotto line preseason.
Whatever. That’s a silly thing to argue about, semantically. Obviously 100% is hyperbole. I think you understand that there are many fans pointing the finger at Udoka.

One big thing you’ll notice if you look back at what Celtics fans and media were saying in those years is that they did think Stevens (good coach) was Pop (top 5 all time coach) and that Tatum (very good player, still young) was a future MVP guy like a Curry, Duncan whoever (hasn’t been able to take that leap into top 10 type level although he still has time). And then top of that lots of talk about now reaching the ECF meant this team was already on the cusp when realistically we all know there is a massive gap between being an ECF loser and a true finals contender.

The combo of all those things- slight over optimism about every element of the team was probably a factor in some of the decisionmaking. Add getting unlucky with injuries, FA issues, bad luck with those draft picks, and the plan fell apart.

I still love Brown and Tatum as players, I don’t understand why Stevens got promoted to GM and I could see that backfiring.

We know why Brad Stevens got that job. He's one of them look and sound smart w/o actually doing anything dudes.

A different coach isn’t making this team significantly better given the roster. I would just like to understand some of the rationale behind a few of the things Udoka does is all.

The take turns offense for long stretches between Tatum and JB is so awful to watch . They lead to a lot of contested jumpers . Those two also have the same shot profile

The take turns offense for long stretches between Tatum and JB is so awful to watch . They lead to a lot of contested jumpers . Those two also have the same shot profile
That mamba mentality is good individual wise but not team wise. Celtics don’t play team basketball just a bunch of guys trying to get their numbers.

They literally just need a lead ball handler. You only have to go back 2 seasons to see how it worked. The trio of relatively healthy Kemba/Tatum/Brown had a +9 net rating and were +19.8 in 4th quarters, which is where the team struggles now. Tatum was able to still be the leading scorer while also significantly more efficient. Team makes the ECF.

Even just the Hayward/Tatum/Brown trio was +9.2.

Damn right. Not gonna take any chances that he ends up with the opps and told to guard curry lolll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom