The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the spot he's in now. He did little as a NBA coach and got a GM job.
Other white coaches specifically Dantoni, Thibs, and Budenholzer also went through the same cycle where they were anointed top coaches in the L for their outstanding regular season performances on their first teams.

The media and fans then turned on each of them (overturned) when they consistently failed to make the finals as a result of bad luck, mistakes, losing to superior opponents etc. Each of them ended up going to new teams and grinding to try and make it back.

Budenholzer finally broke through and won this past year after being relentlessly criticized, called an idiot etc. Thibs ended up looking more funny in the light when he had to adapt to other rosters, he’s doing ok though. Mike D will probably go down as one of the top coaches to always fall short.

Brad Stevens? He just quit when he reached his ceiling. Somehow dodged the level of criticism those other guys got though. Pretty slick maneuver.

1641574152419.gif

Bron did change the game off the court with player empowerment. That's a significant as what Wardell has done on it. Whether that's for the better or worse for the league is up for debate.
empowerment and entitlement at the same time.

Ain’t this what teams do now tho?
Look at Philly and Phoenix.
Warriors and Lakers hired former agents.
I mean, James Jones legit had no resume other than being the last guy on the bench of LeBron's teams before getting the job in PHX. Dudes get hired for all kinds of reasons :lol:

Stevens went to 3 conference finals in 4 years without having a top 10 player. He's not some random dude off the street or some coach of a perennial lotto team. He does know the personnel.

Could they have gone with someone else? Sure.

And the Celtics issue is simply mass amounts of talent drain.

Can quibble with coaching, rotations etc but at the end of the day they don’t really have anyone that’s nice outside of JB and Tatum

Bron did change the game off the court with player empowerment. That's a significant as what Wardell has done on it. Whether that's for the better or worse for the league is up for debate.

the thing I’d give bron credit for is Klutch

but jordan really REALLY laid the blueprint down for most dudes with all his endorsement deals along with his signature shoe line.. hell bron even went as far as to copy space jam

but bron is mostly responsible for the AAU type tactics as far as roster building

but even the short term deals, jordan was using that too back in the 90s to force the organization to do things

And the Celtics issue is simply mass amounts of talent drain.

Can quibble with coaching, rotations etc but at the end of the day they don’t really have anyone that’s nice outside of JB and Tatum
2 years ago had 4 all-star caliber players. Now only have 2.

Will see what they do with the Horford contract and the TPEs this deadline/offseason. Stevens didn't make that Horford/Kemba swap immediately for nothing.

2 years ago had 4 all-star caliber players. Now only have 2.

Will see what they do with the Horford contract and the TPEs this deadline/offseason. Stevens didn't make that Horford/Kemba swap immediately for nothing.

Yep I mean Hortford (the first time) Kyrie Hayward Kemba all leaving and getting essentially nothing in return is tough to overcome

Building the team around Tatum and brown isn’t the issue IMO it’s simply that they’ve gotten nothing for the talent that’s left, and have failed at building out the roster on the margins.

D’Antoni rolling over in his grave.

Also, hasn’t the 3pt shot attempt average been steadily rising pretty much since its existence?

look at all the kids wearing steph UA sigs at the ball park, everyone wants to play like him
But that’s not what people mean when they say. They’re talking about the NBA being changed, not how kids play

Brad Stevens? He just quit when he reached his ceiling. Somehow dodged the level of criticism those other guys got though. Pretty slick maneuver.
Stevens went to 3 conference finals in 4 years without having a top 10 player. He's not some random dude off the street or some coach of a perennial lotto team. He does know the personnel.

Yeah, B Sox B Sox beat me to it but I'm not sure it is accurate that Brad Stevens reached his ceiling. He never made it past the conference finals but he made it there regularly with suboptimal roster construction. That's also probably why he didn't the level of criticism as the other guys you mentioned. In my opinion, the mismangement on "assets" held him back from reaching his potential as much, if not more, than anything he did as a head coach.

Before Lebron we didn’t blink at Mike, Kobe etc going one on one and taking tough 2’s against guys.

Now we actually encourage taking the easiest route possible. Matchup hunting with your star wing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom