The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

I'd feel left out if I didn't speak French :wow:. Seems like everyone is speaking it now in the interviews. Yesterday Nadal was switching in and out of English and French.

Between Maria not having an accent (always forget she basically grew up in Florida) and serena's excellent French....mind blown

Kinda crazy that Serena is old in tennis terms but is better than she's ever been. These younger players have no answer for her.

Kinda crazy that Serena is old in tennis terms but is better than she's ever been. These younger players have no answer for her.

Combination of experience and her physical structure.

She's stronger and faster than many of these younger women, and also has a smarter shot selection because of experience.

Does anyone think Serena's legacy will be diminshed due to the fact the talent pool in the women's game has been the lowest in 20+ years?

I mean, Back then the women's game had some PLAYERS. Navratilova/Jean/Evrett in the 80's, Hingis/Graf/MaryJo etc. The only formidable foe Serena has ever had would probably be Sharapova and Justine Henin, but they're not in the same class as those mentioned. The fact that Wozniacki was even holding a #1 ranking without even winning a major is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Serena's legacy will be diminshed due to the fact the talent pool in the women's game has been the lowest in 20+ years?

I mean, Back then the women's game had some PLAYERS. Navratilova/Jean/Evrett in the 80's, Hingis/Graf/MaryJo etc. The only formidable foe Serena has ever had would probably be Sharapova and Justine Henin, but they're not in the same class as those mentioned. The fact that Wozniacki was even holding a #1 ranking without even winning a major is mind-boggling.

No.

While she might have been playing against weaker talent as you say, but her talent and atheletism is apparent.

Plus doing what she's done while being black is just extra on the top...

No, Not At All.

Don't let the straight set victories fool you, Serena is MAKING IT LOOK EASY.
But it's not.
This generation of female players is a lot better than you're giving it credit for. But it doesnt seem that way because she steamrolls everyone.
If Serena wasn't playing you would see that most of these semi-final, finals matches would be a lot more competitive and intense.

Serena is just THAT DOMINANT.

There's been talented players around, they just lack consistency. I'm still waiting for Li Na and Stosur to win again. I like that there's a variety of Grand Slam winners in the women's game. Looks like Serena will be winning most of them from this point on with Vika and Maria getting a few.

Didn't Serena and her sister sort of lose focus in tennis a few years ago and not play as many tournaments as they could have? That might've helped in her not feeling burned out at this point in her career.

Serena is making this look like cake because she's that good. She's also dominating a sport in which most people are done after the age of 25. Shes going on 32 and as dominant as ever. :smokin

It was only a couple years ago when everyone claimed she was a hasbeen and her career was over. Matter of fact, many people thought after losing to Ginny last year in the french open was it for Serena.

She only came back and won 3 majors and a gold medal and reclaimed her #1 ranking afterwards...

Last edited:
Serena is the effin queen of Tennis. :pimp: Glad to see her and Sharapova on top of their game. Tsonga was supposed to make it to the final :smh:

Hard to see Fer able to play with this type of intensity for 5 sets. Rafa, meanwhile, is still in 3rd gear.

Serena is the effin queen of Tennis. :pimp: Glad to see her and Sharapova on top of their game. Tsonga was supposed to make it to the final :smh:

Yep. She could probably beat a ton of the men's side. I'd like to see her vs. a Tsonga, Cilic, or Gasquet just to see how it'd go.

Daveed doing enough to make things interesting... But will need to do a lot more. Gotta go for big shots on all of rafa's short balls.

Serena would get obliterated by any of the top 50 Men.  She would be lucky to hold serve against the top 100.  Men's game is too fast and powerful for her.  Plus she probably has the worst on court temperament in the sport, such a sore loser and winner.  Rafa vs Serena would last 20 minutes over 2 sets, probably just as boring as this final vs Ferrer.  What a waste, should have been Nole vs. Nadal final, thanks Murray.

Yep. She could probably beat a ton of the men's side. I'd like to see her vs. a Tsonga, Cilic, or Gasquet just to see how it'd go.
Serena should have taken Ferrer's place in this match and he could've played Maria ...would have been two more evenly matched finals.

Anyway, Allez Rafa!

Rafa's on cruise control.

this.

Too good.

and this.

dude is dominating this grand slam final effortlessly. and as i type this...another passing shot. ferrer can not do anything right now. rafa wont let him.

usain looking sharp in the stands :lol: real recognize real :smokin

edit: hmm ferrer broke him. rafa looked human on his serve there, maybe it gets a teeeeeeeeeeny bit interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom