The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Wonder if UK will also be strict for wimbeldon. I think he'd be allowed to play at the u.s. open since the rule is unvaxxed performers (musicians, athletes) who are not NY residents are allowed at venues. Before omicron showed up the new NYC mayor was making it sound like he wanted to change the rules so unvaxxed kyrie could play in NY again.

So the Australian Government's argument is that only residents can be granted exemption due to a recent infection, not foreigners.

I think he has a good shot of winning his case....and I kinda want to see it.

If he does win, I hope Renata Voracova is able to come back. Doubles players need the slams, financially speaking. And she was already in the country and had played a tournament already.

So the Australian Government's argument is that only residents can be granted exemption due to a recent infection, not foreigners.

I think he has a good shot of winning his case....and I kinda want to see it.

If he does win, I hope Renata Voracova is able to come back. Doubles players need the slams, financially speaking. And she was already in the country and had played a tournament already.
Why do you want to see it?

Governments have the right to restrict entry into their countries. And residents always have more rights than foreign nationals.

NoVaxx gets his free pass :smh:
Government lawyer Christopher Tran told the judge after the ruling that the minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, Alex Hawke, "will consider whether to exercise a personal power of cancellation.''

That would mean Djokovic could again face deportation and could miss the Australian Open, which starts on Jan. 17.

Kelly said the threat of a further visa cancellation meant the "stakes have now risen rather than receded.''

"If this man is to be summarily removed upon a personal exercise of cancellation power, he cannot return to this country for three years, am I right about that?'' Kelly asked lawyers for Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews, under whose authority Djokovic's visa was earlier canceled.
Found that part interesting if the govt. uses "personal power of cancellation". Dude could still get deported and banned from the country for 3 years lmao.

Dude is a clown.

This is the current arriving in England rules:

1641810256894.png

If you're vaccinated it's just a test after arrival and as long as the result is negative you're free to go. Obviously in this case Novak could isolate in a hotel with facilities and I'm sure most players arrive a few weeks early to get ready.

The only wrinkle is that there is also a "red list" rule where if you arrive from certain countries that changes things - there aren't any countries on that list at the moment but it could change.

Unnecessary drama which takes away attention from the most important thing of all the tennis itself and the performances of the players in the tournament.

That'd be magically delicious if he costs himself 3 years of the Australian Open over a shoulder poke

People pick the weirdest hills to die on

Been a ****show all because a famous athlete wants a different set of rules

Would've had the chance to make a good and smart point against Australia's treatment and conditions for migrants and refugees but instead they made it about how he doesn't deserve the same treatment because he's anti-vax Jesus or something >D

Even the judge pointed out the self centered nature of his protest :lol:

Back
Top Bottom