Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

So, Ryan Tannehill, the QB of the team, says two weeks ago Martin would have called Richie his best friend.

Tyson Clabo, linemate, said he has no idea why Martin is doing this.

Brian Hartline, WR, says that voicemail was a locker room joke that Martin used to laugh about.......

Well now.

Most of the team said they never heard it though....

Dont know what to make of this anymore
Maybe the team is just shunning Martin cause he quit on the team?
Possible

They are really going out of their way to defend a guy with an already bad history and won't play with the team again, seems like too much of an effort to put on a front for a guy like Richie

Last edited:
Andrew Sharp's grantland piece I thought was great. Wide range of player reactions too:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...ins-and-everything-that-will-never-make-sense

Antrel Rolle, Giants safety:

Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely. But I think the other guy is just as much to blame as Richie, because he allowed it to happen. At this level, you're a man. You're not a little boy. You're not a freshman in college. You're a man.
Rolle, clarifying on Twitter later:

It's dead *** wrong. But in this world in general people will do what u allow them to do. I am very sympathetic for Martin and if he was my teammate that would have never took place. That I can assure.
London Fletcher, ******** linebacker:

What seemed like was going on there was beyond hazing, beyond your normal rookie-type deals. So I’m real disappointed in the leadership in the locker room down there in Miami. I know Jonathan Martin didn’t feel comfortable enough to go to any of the guys because either you’re encouraging it or you’re just turning a blind eye and allowing the guy to get treated like he was getting treated. And that’s the biggest thing that disappointed me the most about the situation is because there was not a veteran guy strong enough to stop what was happening to that young man.
Jeremy Shockey, former Giants, Saints, and Panthers tight end:

The bullying thing is a very common thing in the NFL. It’s common for rookies to take the older players out to eat and to spend a lot of money. Once a week, usually a defensive rookie or an offensive rookie does it. … I’ve been to dinners where I’ve seen rookies spend $30,000. $30,000! … I can’t stress enough how much people should know that there’s a lot more than what you read in the newspaper. There’s probably more to this story than we know.
Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker, former Incognito and Martin teammate:

Richie was a down-to-earth guy. I hate all this came out about him. It’s really attacking his character. I hope Martin doesn’t have any backlash from this from the rest of his teammates.
Darnell Dockett, Cardinals defensive lineman:

[Incognito's] whole makeup is playing dirty and trying to hurt guys. Like I say, just Google it up. There are so many incidents where he’s trying to hurt guys and physically bully guys. I’m glad certain guys are standing up for themselves. I hope the guy from the Dolphins is able to get some help, rebound and continue his career.
Tony Siragusa, former Colts and Ravens defensive lineman:

They talk about teams being a family. When you’re in the locker room, that’s like your home. … Things are handled in there and said in there that shouldn’t be brought out to the media. And plainly because the media, and really the real world, can't handle a lot of those things and things that happen in that locker room. … I think [Martin] should have confronted Incognito. I think he should have went up to him and said ‘What’s your problem?’ … Richie Incognito is 100 percent wrong. If a guy goes and says that to you, do you go and run? … Just be a man. I'm just tired of people going and running from their problems.
Ricky Williams, former Saints, Dolphins, and Ravens running back:

The NFL isn't for everyone. … I see this kid, very intelligent kid, you know, his parents are attorneys, he went to Stanford and had these expectations about what the NFL would be, and if you look at his career, he really hasn't had as much success as he wanted to have, and things have been tough. And I'm sure things got out of hand with him and Richie, and now we are where we are. … The NFL, it's really like a closed fraternity. It's really not made for everyone. There are certain people that can play in the NFL, and certain people that can't. … I don't think the media, I don't think fans, I don't think anyone outside is really in a position to really fully understand what occurs inside of a locker room and inside of a football team.
Josh Brown, Giants kicker, former Incognito teammate:

It's sad to see, because [Incognito] was a friend of mine and still is. I played with him in college and he had a lot of problems in college. I played with him in the Rams, and not severe issues there … but it seems like this seems to be something that has been haunting him for more than a decade. … This seems to be somebody who's really got some demons that are out of the building.
Mike Wallace, Dolphins wide receiver:

I know both [Martin and Incognito] personally. I like both of them. I love Richie. I think he's a great guy. I don't think he was out of hand. I have a lot of respect for Richie. I wish he was here.

Starting to believe this is just a lover's quarrel gone wrong, honestly. 

They say incognito was considered black in the locker room and Martin was not. :lol:

Seeing that now. It's basically a "cornball brother" type thing. Like Incognito is from a tough background and Martin is not.

I say that without commentary. It's interesting.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 7m
Randy Starks said Dion Jordan and Jon Martin got into it at practice one day and Incognito came in to back up Martin.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 15m
What Ryan Tannehill said about Martin/Incognito jibes with what I've heard. I was told Incognito stuck up for Martin during camp fights.

Courtney Fallon ‏@CourtneyNBC6 17m
There is confusion and complete anger in this #Dolphins locker room. Every player with incendiary comments.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 17m
Randy Starks on why they're speaking up after initially being told not to talk: We want to clear Richie's name

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 29m
Tyson Clabo is irate at Jonathan Martin: "I don't know why he's doing this. ... This is ridiculous."

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 19m
Randy Starks: Incognito took Martin under his wings, was like a big brother to him.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 24m
Tannehill, John Jerry, everyone keeps talking about how Incognito and Martin were friends.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 28m
Everybody we've talked to says how close they were. Hartline was on fire.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 30m
Read the timelines of @AdamHBeasley, @JeffDarlington, @BigOShow and you'll see quotes from players. Dolphins' players are angry at Martin

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 33m
When asked if players could possibly welcome Martin back, Hartline says he has an opinion but won't share it

#Bullying, tho....

This SC segment on Richie Incognito's "blackness" is making me cringe. 

Dude just said, "He [Richie] talks like them [black players] better, communicates with them better, plays like them better [than Martin]"

sick.gif

Very interesting hearing the players views on Martin. A lot of times the guy everyone perceives as scum from the outside is one of the most solid and loyal guys on the inside. I played with an (insane) guy like that.

Last edited:
Martin QUIT, multiple times (the team covered up on other time), and you know nothing is worse in football and in sports than being known as a QUITTER. It is the ultimate Scarlett letter.

In sports RACIST>QUITTER every time, let alone a QUITTER who also allowed 7 sacks. :lol:

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 39m
Hartline is outraged because he says Martin was passing the voicemail around earlier in the year and laughing about it.

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 26m
Dolphins OL Tyson Clabo: Martin "needs to stand up and be a man. I don't know why he's doing this."

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 4m
Martin had a national platform to get his side out quickly, as he was feeding info to a reporter. Incognito was presumed guilty on his past.

Chris Perkins ‏@chrisperk 18m
#Dolphins players outstanding in lockerroom today. Tannehill, Hartline, Clabo were the stars. Passion & honesty.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 2m
Clabo was asked if he would welcome Martin back into the locker room. He paused for a second and said it's not for him to decide.

DolphinsDraft ‏@DolphinsDraft 9m
Yesterday was the report Incognito "stole" Tannehill's CC to buy Jetski's. Today Tannehill backs Incognito. Stories not adding up. #Rumors

Ok, the last one is my own. :lol:

This "black" thing isn't a real story.

That said, ima tap out on forming any more opinions because it's just a matter of time before something breaks that completely changes our perspective on this.

This is turning into a Manti Te'o situation. No idea what the hell is going on. But its turning into a dumb melodrama.

I'm beginning to wonder who really has the worse mental issues here. :smh: Martin or Incognito.

Last edited:
I think they both probably have mental issues, Incognito has the kind that function in the NFL and Martin the kind that are better outside of it

Also if you let him say the N word, thats on you, don't start with this honorary black guy garbage.

Richie is what I call and "Everyday Douchebag"

we all have these people in our lives, he's not excessively evil or repugnant, he's someone who has some nice qualities but also some flaming douche bag qualities. If you become bro's with the everyday douche he's less douche-y to you but still can be a giant douche to everyone else around you

you inevitably end up having to defend some of the stupid **** he does with the oh but "he's not that bad normal"

glad to see the players views match what I thought was going on

I'm quick to call someone a racist but I'm not putting incognito in that category......martin just seems like a weird *** ***** thats seeking attention......he's a ******g ***.....how you go from joking about the voicemail and passing it around to using it against the guy in the media?

he's ******g lame and hope he gets blackballed from the league....broke all man code

Last edited:
This is just strange. I'm hearing on the radio that Dolphins players are coming out and sticking up for Incognito because they don't want the league to uncover anymore dirt that's been going on in that locker room.

Tannehill backed Incognito today but didn't go into detail about the whole stolen credit card thing for jet skis.

I don't even know who to believe at this point.

Back
Top Bottom