Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

No doubt C.C, Martin can handle as he sees fit but he also has to deal with the consequences that may come

He may have worded it wrong but how bad is it to call someone a uncle tom? Srs, because thats what hes basically saying to martin
Your gonna be labled a thug for standing up for yourself and having a reason to do so lol dudes just assume things

He called Martin a half ER because he's biracial. Nothing to do with Uncle Tom.

True but teammates fight as well. Most the time we don't know about it because they keep it in house. I read a book by some dude. Tim green who played on the falcons in the late 80's and early 90's. he made mention to teammates fighting over gambling, a player in the league smashing another teammates wife and the other teammate found out, and players fighting over petty stuff. In the eyes of most NFL players their seeig Jonathan Martin as breaking one of their biggest unwritten rules in not keeping this stuff in house.

Can't argue here, but didn't he report the harassment to the front office/organization? It'll be interesting to see a timeline because if there was a long lapse then it looks like they did keep it in house, and chose to ignore it.

Not necessarily. Andre Johnson who to my knowledge is a solid citizen put a beat down on cortland finnegan a few seasons back and the general reaction was good job on Andres part finnegan has been seen as a headcase and had it coming. Hell some people were praising Andre Johnson for putting the hands on him.
'

You're right, but those were 2 dudes on different teams in the heat of a game, which made people look at it differently imo.

'

You're right, but those were 2 dudes on different teams in the heat of a game, which made people look at it differently imo.

I feel you, I'm to lazy to retype it but read my last post about teammates fighting and having issues being more common then people think. I get what your saying though.

So if Martin did make this up, why did the Phins suspend Richie? Just to please the masses?

Teammates do fight, no doubt about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel you, I'm to lazy to retype it but read my last post about teammates fighting and having issues being more common then people think. I get what your saying though.

I went back and read it, you're right, I guess we'll find out more. I didn't know both his parents were lawyers, maybe he's been plotting this lawsuit for a while. Florida can award triple damages.

So you think Martin is jeopardizing his NFL career to lie about the harassment and file a suit that will probably go nowhere? I'm confused....

Considering his problem was supposedly with the culture of the game/locker room, then maybe he doesn't want the NFL career to begin with, who knows? There is a bunch of evidence showing they were friends and one piece of evidence showing he was a bully (voicemail). For some reason we have only seen the text version, it even reads that incognito was laughing, and now it is confirmed that Martin once also thought it was funny. There could always be new evidence, but what's been presented so far doesn't really pass the smell test.

this whole narrative was kind of started by Schefter, who reported that story about the bartender earlier in the year. Turned out he was completely wrong and off base. Then this story comes out and incognito is basically saying please clear my name, you are lying again. Doesn't strike me as someone who knows he did wrong...more like someone blindsided.

Yeah, you never know, the dude from ND last year had a fake girlfriend supposedly. Sometime things get to thick and you pass the point of no return.

It didn't have to get to this point, they're both grown *** men.

Besides Martin isn't a rookie anymore seems pretty obscure to me maybe he's just blowing things out of proportion.

Blame the media for that. Regardless I'm beginning not to care about this already :lol:

Thanks 24/7 news cycle

Last edited:
first thing i said when the story broke was this was a team thing and incognito

was just the scapegoat because he was at the top of the hazing plus the text messages

if what has transpired and leaked since then isnt enough to concince you martin is soft then

honestly i dont know what is

I figured as much considering his family background (both parents are lawyers).

Bottom line is that people spent 16 pages saying "but he is a racist bully" while his teammates say they were like best friends, incognito fought and stuck up for the dude, they planned to go to heat games together and have pictures snapped together out on the town or on the team plane, laugh about the voicemail in the locker room, etc. Yet people close their eyes.

Oh no they made a dude spend 0.2% of his income on a rookie dinner and were tough in the locker room. If that is what constitutes bullying, then they better investigate every single team.

I wish I could quote this post 100 straight times...but even then it wouldn't get through most of your thick skulls.

This is a classic case of rushing to judgement. It doesn't appear to be as bad as initially thought and of course the media attention has helped in blowing this way out of proportion. I'm sure we can still find blame here and there, but mostly it just seems that a really saavy kid said to hell with all of this and found a way to make bank without having to play another snap of football in his life. Dignity be damned.

Last edited:
Middle ground along with an intelligent argument / rebuttal is always warranted / accepted.

What you think is going on?

I've stated it before but the more that's came out it appears that Martin exaggerated things and is making a big deal about things.

I hope this isn't the case though because if anything him having a boy that cried wolf mindset on this and exaggerating things is just going to make things that much more difficult in a future incident where a player is legitametely getting harassed.

I want to hear the actual voicemail as well and not just see the words written. How he comes across in the voicemail when you hear it will be very telling.

Wouldnt be suprised if martins parents told him to keep feeding into incognito's bs so he can make a case out of all this in the future and wouldnt have to put his body on the line and play another nfl game again, lol aint even mad, son probably in the crib watching espn laughing

I've stated it before but the more that's came out it appears that Martin exaggerated things and is making a big deal about things.

I hope this isn't the case though because if anything him having a boy that cried wolf mindset on this and exaggerating things is just going to make things that much more difficult in a future incident where a player is legitametely getting harassed.

I want to hear the actual voicemail as well and not just see the words written. How he comes across in the voicemail when you hear it will be very telling.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Turns out the last part of the voicemail was omitted. The part when Incognito lowered his voice and said "OK call me back." It is more than obvious it was a joke.

It is pretty scary how easily the media can skew perceptions and play with people's emotions. They opened a door into a world that most people never see and a lot of people were shocked. Of course some store clerks can't force the new guy to pay $15k for a dinner and a receptionist can't swear at customers. Everyone forgot these were grown men playing a game, making millions.

What if a leader in the locker room used his religion to try to uplift the team, every single day. 51 guys love it but one guy has a different religion and feels singled out and feels like he is being forced to be a part of something he doesn't believe in. Is he going to sue the team for bullying? What if a lineman comes in 35 pounds overweight and the coach says you're too fat, lose some weight. Can he sue for discrimination? No because pro sports and working at the local deli aren't the same things.

It is all about your culture and surroundings. You think if some 50 year old woman came on NT and saw people referring to the 300 yambs they got, she wouldn't be offended and appalled? Of course, but to certain people it is part of everyday life.

Last edited:
The question though isn't if Rich saw it as a joke but if Martin did. That's the whole debate and issue

And if you are just learning the media is constantly lying and making up stories for ratings....well.....yeah it is shady and sucks but completely true

Last edited:
The question though isn't if Rich saw it as a joke but if Martin did. That's the whole debate and issue

And if you are just learning the media is constantly lying and making up stories for ratings....well.....yeah it is shady and sucks but completely true

Hartline said on film that the guy was laughing about the voicemail. Do you really think he would put himself out there like that during an investigation if it weren't true? Then the story was corroborated by another player to a local beat writer. You can argue that he thought it was funny back then and changed his mind or that he was pretending...that's up to you.

And no that isn't news to me...but it should be to the 16 pages worth of people saying he is a racist psycho, all the while his black teammates (current AND former) have all given him support. Now they don't believe them or the story doesn't make sense, haha.

Last edited:
Hartline said on film that the guy was laughing about the voicemail. Do you really think he would put himself out there like that during an investigation if it weren't true? Then the story was corroborated by another player to a local beat writer. You can argue that he thought it was funny back then and changed his mind or that he was pretending...that's up to you.

And no that isn't news to me...but it should be to the 16 pages worth of people saying he is a racist psycho, all the while his black teammates (current AND former) have all given him support. Now they don't believe them or the story doesn't make sense, haha.

What are you yapping about? This is all NEW news to ALL of us. We reacted off of what information we were given. I guess next time we should wait a year after a story breaks out so we can have all the information right?

We went off the info initially given, yes. But at the same time alot of members on here were initially saying that there was more to this when what met the eye and to wait for all the details to come out so can get a better picture of this situation.

Back
Top Bottom