To my NT agnostics/atheists/Antons

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Dynamics82

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by iBlink

Are your families aware of your beliefs... or lack thereof?

If they are, how did you go about telling them?

If they aren't, why haven't you brought them up to speed?
1. Yes
2. Randomly when I wouldnt pray before dinner. It was very tragic.
i dont understand this lol
y r people who dont believe in god so against praying
Well, if one doesn't believe in a god, wouldn't it seem silly trying to communicate with an imaginary being? Whether you're saying it aloud or not, praying means you believe there's someone on the other end who's listening to your thoughts.
If you don't like wrestling, would you watch it on television?
i'm not sayin u have to believe
example
if u walk into someone's house and they ask u to take off ur shoes u would do it out of respect
even though it maybe not be something u do at ur own house
same thing with pray just bow ur head for a min or 2 even if u dont believe
i had a friend that would always complain when other people would pray
i never understood it
Youre confusing the 2. I dont mind (and most people wouldnt either) if you pray. My mom prays before every meal. I have no problem with it. I even respect her and wait til she's done to eat. But in no way shape or form am I going to 'pretend' to pray to something I believe in.

You bring up the shoes in the house analogy which is ridiculous but I'll take the bait. What if I was your best friend and everytime you came to my house I had a statute of Satan and you had to rub the belly and thank him for all your blessings in your hand? Now of course you could always rub the belly and not think anything in your head, but why should you have to do that? That's my beliefs not yours. You shouldn't have to confirm to make me feel comfortable.

that is extreme
I would not continue a relationship with a person that  worshiped the devil
but i guess if it is that serious to u
most relationship r based on doing things to make other people comfortable
the fact that ur not praying is doing more bad than good
it puts an unnecessary strain on a relationship

1. Yes
Well, if one doesn't believe in a god, wouldn't it seem silly trying to communicate with an imaginary being? Whether you're saying it aloud or not, praying means you believe there's someone on the other end who's listening to your thoughts.
example
if u walk into someone's house and they ask u to take off ur shoes u would do it out of respect
i never understood it
Youre confusing the 2. I dont mind (and most people wouldnt either) if you pray. My mom prays before every meal. I have no problem with it. I even respect her and wait til she's done to eat. But in no way shape or form am I going to 'pretend' to pray to something I believe in.

You bring up the shoes in the house analogy which is ridiculous but I'll take the bait. What if I was your best friend and everytime you came to my house I had a statute of Satan and you had to rub the belly and thank him for all your blessings in your hand? Now of course you could always rub the belly and not think anything in your head, but why should you have to do that? That's my beliefs not yours. You shouldn't have to confirm to make me feel comfortable.

that is extreme
I would not continue a relationship with a person that  worshiped the devil
but i guess if it is that serious to u
most relationship r based on doing things to make other people comfortable
the fact that ur not praying is doing more bad than good
it puts an unnecessary strain on a relationship

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Dynamics82 you're not asking atheists to pray out of respect you're asking them to pretend to pray out of respect. You just seem to have a problem with those who voice their displeasure and refusal in the act of praying.

nah its like pick ur battles
u dont have to voice ur opinion on everything u disagree with

Dynamics82 you're not asking atheists to pray out of respect you're asking them to pretend to pray out of respect. You just seem to have a problem with those who voice their displeasure and refusal in the act of praying.

It shouldn't be considered a battle but that depends on how the ppl you interact with handle it. If everybody wants to pray before a meal or bless the meal or w/e and a person doesn't do and/or agree with that they can leave the room until yall finished. You right, the person you're talking about doesn't always have to say I'm an atheist I don't pray, and then go on some rant about religion. All they have to do is say no.

Asking ppl to bite the bullet won't work if they happen to take their non belief that seriously or if they find the religious ppl in their company are trying to push their beliefs on them. I mean if the person agreed they could always say I didn't really pray after yall finish
laugh.gif

I knew a dude who would always go to the bathroom when his family did that during Thanksgiving and there was never no problem

It shouldn't be considered a battle but that depends on how the ppl you interact with handle it. If everybody wants to pray before a meal or bless the meal or w/e and a person doesn't do and/or agree with that they can leave the room until yall finished. You right, the person you're talking about doesn't always have to say I'm an atheist I don't pray, and then go on some rant about religion. All they have to do is say no.

Asking ppl to bite the bullet won't work if they happen to take their non belief that seriously or if they find the religious ppl in their company are trying to push their beliefs on them. I mean if the person agreed they could always say I didn't really pray after yall finish
laugh.gif

I knew a dude who would always go to the bathroom when his family did that during Thanksgiving and there was never no problem

laugh.gif

why would u go to the bathroom that doesn't make sense to me
like them praying is gonna effect u lol
its just a ritual
u can take non belief seriously??????

laugh.gif

its just a ritual

its just a ritual
Well he rather relieve himself or wash his face while ppl were praying.

You have to understand some ppl atheist or not want no part of that ritual especially if it means nothing to them. You can't compare that to taking your shoes off in someone's house cuz they'll most likely tell you you can't come in their house until you take off your shoes.

Yes some ppl can take non belief seriously or be as anti-religious as they possibly can. I mean it's just like you said it doesn't effect them so why do it? Some ppl don't care what message it sends especially if it's something they don't believe in.

Why should someone do something just because a group of ppl are doing it? If they gain nothing? I mean praying does have a purpose to the ppl who believe in it. Some ppl don't feel comfortable doing something with no purpose to them. The means don't justify the ends.

its just a ritual
Well he rather relieve himself or wash his face while ppl were praying.

You have to understand some ppl atheist or not want no part of that ritual especially if it means nothing to them. You can't compare that to taking your shoes off in someone's house cuz they'll most likely tell you you can't come in their house until you take off your shoes.

Yes some ppl can take non belief seriously or be as anti-religious as they possibly can. I mean it's just like you said it doesn't effect them so why do it? Some ppl don't care what message it sends especially if it's something they don't believe in.

Why should someone do something just because a group of ppl are doing it? If they gain nothing? I mean praying does have a purpose to the ppl who believe in it. Some ppl don't feel comfortable doing something with no purpose to them. The means don't justify the ends.

1. Yes
example
i never understood it
You're saying that out of respect for the person, I have to pretend to pray with them? I'll admit that I have pretended to pray out of respect before but it's not something I HAVE to do, rather it's something I can choose to do or not. I chose to do it because they were people I was close with and I didn't want to make the situation awkward. Have you ever sat around and just watched as people prayed? It's bizarre.

1. Yes
example
i never understood it
You're saying that out of respect for the person, I have to pretend to pray with them? I'll admit that I have pretended to pray out of respect before but it's not something I HAVE to do, rather it's something I can choose to do or not. I chose to do it because they were people I was close with and I didn't want to make the situation awkward. Have you ever sat around and just watched as people prayed? It's bizarre.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

I stopped believing somewhere in high school... it didn't help that I had a catholic H.S. that liked to force-feed jesus stuff to the students. I really reacted badly to that, and realized that I really doubted everything about the Bible and I was just faking it for my mom.
When I told my mom I didn't care about Catholicism anymore, she said "it's nice to have something to comfort you, for instance when my grandmother died believing in God really helped me picture her in a better place." 

So I always thought that maybe I would have a large conversion if someone close to me died... but my cousin died last summer, and I got even more bitter and angry. How could a "loving god" let my cousin die like that? A 32-year-old successful accountant in a Chicago firm about to get engaged to his longtime GF? Nah, it wasn't part of the plan, it's just that things happen. People die randomly and it's horrible, but it's part of life. There's no god up there calling the shots.

I used to be very angry and I used to love trolling people like mormons and witnesses, but I've been going to meditation lately and there we talk about forgiveness and peace and things like that... so I've accepted that people are different and will always have varying opinions on religion until the end of our existence. 
There's a few kinds of people that keep my faith in humanity alive, and you're one of those kinds of people. You were the opposite, a real life troll, but you made that transition to an understanding human being. I don't know you from the next poster, but I appreciate that a lot and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope whatever deity out there that exists blesses you through your life sir.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

I stopped believing somewhere in high school... it didn't help that I had a catholic H.S. that liked to force-feed jesus stuff to the students. I really reacted badly to that, and realized that I really doubted everything about the Bible and I was just faking it for my mom.
When I told my mom I didn't care about Catholicism anymore, she said "it's nice to have something to comfort you, for instance when my grandmother died believing in God really helped me picture her in a better place." 

So I always thought that maybe I would have a large conversion if someone close to me died... but my cousin died last summer, and I got even more bitter and angry. How could a "loving god" let my cousin die like that? A 32-year-old successful accountant in a Chicago firm about to get engaged to his longtime GF? Nah, it wasn't part of the plan, it's just that things happen. People die randomly and it's horrible, but it's part of life. There's no god up there calling the shots.

I used to be very angry and I used to love trolling people like mormons and witnesses, but I've been going to meditation lately and there we talk about forgiveness and peace and things like that... so I've accepted that people are different and will always have varying opinions on religion until the end of our existence. 
There's a few kinds of people that keep my faith in humanity alive, and you're one of those kinds of people. You were the opposite, a real life troll, but you made that transition to an understanding human being. I don't know you from the next poster, but I appreciate that a lot and I'm sorry for your loss. I hope whatever deity out there that exists blesses you through your life sir.

i could see why people turn away from God because of how hypocritical some christian/ christian based religions are, but everyones supposed to have a personal relationship with God.. church is not really necessary.. that's what i feel

i could see why people turn away from God because of how hypocritical some christian/ christian based religions are, but everyones supposed to have a personal relationship with God.. church is not really necessary.. that's what i feel

I come from a long line of non-religious folk so it wasn't an issue. My quite religious grandmother, on the other hand, has told me numerous times I'm going to hell for a variety of reasons
laugh.gif

I come from a long line of non-religious folk so it wasn't an issue. My quite religious grandmother, on the other hand, has told me numerous times I'm going to hell for a variety of reasons
laugh.gif

I don't really know when I declared myself an atheist. It was definitely sometime in jr. high. Interestingly enough, I never actually believed in anything they told us in school or church.  Even at a very early age I thought it was all bollocks.  It was in the same vein as a kid on the cusp of not believing in Santa. I don't remember coming out and actually telling my family. I think it was stated more in responses to my parents asking me to go to church for whatever reason. 'Come on, you know I don't buy into that stuff' or 'Not my thing.' My family isn't overly religious or anything. They go to church and stuff but not much more other than a dinner prayer or something. All of my family knows I don't believe in god and that I am actually very grateful there isn't one. Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful.

I think some of my family is envious of me. I am free from some invisible chain gang that carries no redeeming benefits. I don't believe and that is known. I get the feeling they believe because it is convenient and easier than the 'unknown.'

I don't really know when I declared myself an atheist. It was definitely sometime in jr. high. Interestingly enough, I never actually believed in anything they told us in school or church.  Even at a very early age I thought it was all bollocks.  It was in the same vein as a kid on the cusp of not believing in Santa. I don't remember coming out and actually telling my family. I think it was stated more in responses to my parents asking me to go to church for whatever reason. 'Come on, you know I don't buy into that stuff' or 'Not my thing.' My family isn't overly religious or anything. They go to church and stuff but not much more other than a dinner prayer or something. All of my family knows I don't believe in god and that I am actually very grateful there isn't one. Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful.

I think some of my family is envious of me. I am free from some invisible chain gang that carries no redeeming benefits. I don't believe and that is known. I get the feeling they believe because it is convenient and easier than the 'unknown.'

My parents are super religious and hard headed, real talk they'd prolly try to kick me out the crib if I told them I don't believe in their savior. Its hard getting to explain that you have formed your own beliefs, when they are so stuck in their ways.

anyways, realized that I didn't believe when I sat down and thought to myself, if my parents raised me to a Muslim, would I still 'believe' in Jesus? the answer was NO, is believe whatever it was they taught me. that made me realized I only believed in Christianity because that was the only religion presented to me when I was younger.

My parents are super religious and hard headed, real talk they'd prolly try to kick me out the crib if I told them I don't believe in their savior. Its hard getting to explain that you have formed your own beliefs, when they are so stuck in their ways.

anyways, realized that I didn't believe when I sat down and thought to myself, if my parents raised me to a Muslim, would I still 'believe' in Jesus? the answer was NO, is believe whatever it was they taught me. that made me realized I only believed in Christianity because that was the only religion presented to me when I was younger.

James Earl Zones wrote:
badmoonRison wrote:

Thank you man, that's a big compliment. That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on NT in eight years 
happy.gif

I'm engaged in a constant quest to find peace and calm in my life... I'm really trying to live less negatively, if that makes sense. If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I suggest visiting a meditation center. Most people there are Buddhist or Atheists, and there's no religious talk of any kind... just searching your soul and things like that. 

@ lobotomybeats

"Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful. "

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wow man, that sounds like you are going to be a hater for the rest of your life... that's like declaring yourself a Republican-hater, you can stress and stress and stress about it but they will never go away... same with churches. The closer we move towards the end of existence (which really can be tomorrow or can be 2,000 years from now), I think more people will turn to churches for comfort.

You've really made it clear in your posts that you dislike religion... and I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I suggest keeping it at just that: a dislike. Ripping on churchgoers seems like it would be satisfying, but it's really pretty malicious and hurtful. I don't like church either, but there's a lot worse things people could be doing than trying to be a better person once a week.
[/font]

James Earl Zones wrote:
badmoonRison wrote:

Thank you man, that's a big compliment. That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me on NT in eight years 
happy.gif

I'm engaged in a constant quest to find peace and calm in my life... I'm really trying to live less negatively, if that makes sense. If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I suggest visiting a meditation center. Most people there are Buddhist or Atheists, and there's no religious talk of any kind... just searching your soul and things like that. 

@ lobotomybeats

"Along with being an atheist, I am also an antitheist. I believe church and it's effect on people is harmful. "

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wow man, that sounds like you are going to be a hater for the rest of your life... that's like declaring yourself a Republican-hater, you can stress and stress and stress about it but they will never go away... same with churches. The closer we move towards the end of existence (which really can be tomorrow or can be 2,000 years from now), I think more people will turn to churches for comfort.

You've really made it clear in your posts that you dislike religion... and I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I suggest keeping it at just that: a dislike. Ripping on churchgoers seems like it would be satisfying, but it's really pretty malicious and hurtful. I don't like church either, but there's a lot worse things people could be doing than trying to be a better person once a week.
[/font]

Question, do ya'll use phrase such as "Thank God I made it here on time.." "Jesus Christ, look at that mass!" "Goddamn, son got styled on"?? ...not the exactly how I used em, but you get my drift. ..Just curious, it may just come out from time to time. Pause.

Back
Top Bottom