Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Glen Rice Jr. made some best of the Summer League lists...along with Bazemore and Jonas obviously

Wall, Wizards close to 5 year / $80 million extension

The Washington Wizards have made significant progress toward completing a five-year, $80 million maximum contract extension for guard John Wall, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Wizards will make Wall their designated franchise player, allowing him to get the fifth year on the extension, sources said.
The Wizards and Wall's agent, Dan Fegan, have until Oct. 31 to complete an agreement on the rookie extension for Wall to avoid restricted free agency next summer, but are moving swiftly to reach a deal.
There's strong belief on both sides that an agreement will be reached soon, but there are still contractual details and terms that need to be agreed upon before it can be formalized, league sources said.

Wall, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2010 NBA draft, missed last season's first 33 games with a knee injury, but finished the season strong. In his shortened season, Wall averaged 18.5 points and 7.6 assists and led the Wizards to nearly a .500 record in his return.

In three seasons with Washington, where he has yet to reach the playoffs, Wall has averaged 16.9 points and eight assists.
Wall, 22, is participating in the Team USA minicamp in Las Vegas this week

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--j...million-extension-with-wizards-021828202.html

Last edited:
Wall, Wizards close to 5 year / $80 million extension

The Washington Wizards have made significant progress toward completing a five-year, $80 million maximum contract extension for guard John Wall, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Wizards will make Wall their designated franchise player, allowing him to get the fifth year on the extension, sources said.
The Wizards and Wall's agent, Dan Fegan, have until Oct. 31 to complete an agreement on the rookie extension for Wall to avoid restricted free agency next summer, but are moving swiftly to reach a deal.
There's strong belief on both sides that an agreement will be reached soon, but there are still contractual details and terms that need to be agreed upon before it can be formalized, league sources said.

Wall, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2010 NBA draft, missed last season's first 33 games with a knee injury, but finished the season strong. In his shortened season, Wall averaged 18.5 points and 7.6 assists and led the Wizards to nearly a .500 record in his return.

In three seasons with Washington, where he has yet to reach the playoffs, Wall has averaged 16.9 points and eight assists.
Wall, 22, is participating in the Team USA minicamp in Las Vegas this week

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--j...million-extension-with-wizards-021828202.html

Glad to see they gonna pay him

Kevin Pelton ‏@kpelton 1h
Over the final 41 games of 2012-13, John Wall was 10th in the NBA in WARP (5.6). He's 22. So I've no issue with maxing him out.

Dan Shore ‏@DanShore2 1h
@kpelton Who would you rather have for the next decade: Wall or Irving? Who has more potential going forward?

Kevin Pelton
‏@kpelton
@DanShore2 Give Wall the slight edge because of his defense, but can't go wrong either way.

WARP = Wins Above Replacement Player

WARP, a metric which is invented by Kevin Pelton, stands for Wins Above Replacement Player. The term and concept are borrowed from sabermetrics and, specifically, Baseball Prospectus.

Conceptually, the WARP system seeks to evaluate players in the context of a team made up of them and four completely average players. The performance of this team is then compared to that of a team made up of four average players and one replacement level player. The method also draws heavily on the work of Dean Oliver.
Using replacement level shows the value of players who can play heavy minutes and avoid injury while continuing to perform above replacement level. Using wins gives a measure of value that is easy to understand and constant over time. Lastly, by eschewing the traditional linear weights method so common in basketball analysis, WARP does a better job of incorporating defensive value. Learn more about WARP calculation.
Link

Here's a link with a longer, more detailed explanation of WARP.

John Officially Signs the 80 Mil/5 year Max Deal...what do you guys think of the deal? I Personally think this is great...John Wall will prove everyone wrong 

It was a deal that had to be done. Is he a max-player right now? No. Does he have the potential to be one? Yes. This was a good/appropriate risk by the Wizards FO. They are putting 100% faith behind John Wall. It's now on him to live up to the contract given.

Last year, we got a glimpse of how dynamic he can be. As he goes, so do the Wizards.

John Officially Signs the 80 Mil/5 year Max Deal...what do you guys think of the deal? I Personally think this is great...John Wall will prove everyone wrong 
This was the right move for the Wizards to make. That's all that can be said.

John Wall has the potential to be great and its easy to forget he's only 22. I have no questions about his character, desire, work ethic, etc. I'm glad the biggest splash he's made in the media is with his tats. All in all, a positive face-of-the-franchise type player.

With all of that said, I'm done making excuses for him. Now it's time to show and prove.

Last edited:
I feel giving him 80 mil is over the top. I would've offered him 3 years 40 mil tops. Enough time to prove himself that he's a franchise player, after a couple years we can talk extension.
Hopefully he doesn't become lazy now that he got big money coming in like a lot of players do.
That's my biggest fear.

Last edited:
I feel giving him 80 mil is over the top. I would've offered him 3 years 40 mil tops. Enough time to prove himself that he's a franchise player, after a couple years we can talk extension.
Hopefully he doesn't become lazy now that he got big money coming in like a lot of players do.
That's my biggest fear.

After those 3 years he would bounce.

That's my biggest fear.

Exactly.

Link to his Presser

He's gonna live up to that deal.

That's my biggest fear.

Exactly.

Link to his Presser

He's gonna live up to that deal.
It's a pretty good bet.

Here is a list of players who have put up 20+ PER seasons at age 22 or younger:

http://bit.ly/11xyYla

Wall is in good company. The list is mostly all star players who were at one point or another top 3-5 at their positions. And also talented young players who will soon be stars.

Unless he's the next Stephon Marbury (lol), odds are that he's on pace to be an elite player in the league.

Last edited:
That's my biggest fear.
Had they not offered a max contract now, someone else would have once he hit restricted free agency.  That's just a given.  There are many teams in this league desperate for an All Star caliber player, let alone an All Star caliber point guard.  

Let's say Wall makes this All Star team this year and guides the Wizards back to the playoffs.  You're telling me that a team like Milwaukee wouldn't offer him a max contract?  So, first of all, let's just acknowledge that he would not sign a 3 year/$40 million deal.  

If you know he's going to command max money, offering him the extension now spares you all the manufactured media rumors that hound any player who has even the slightest chance to change teams.  Look at the way the Wolves damaged their relationship with Kevin Love.  They were unwilling to commit to him when his camp first approached them to discuss a contract extension, and he clearly harbored a substantial amount of resentment toward Kahn & co. ever since.  Had they not shaken up their front office, it's possible he would've followed through on his many threats to bolt the team in free agency. 

Players talk and agents have long memories.  Do the wrong thing by a player and it could very well come back to bite you.  

The Wizards did what they had to do to retain their best player, and they did it in a way that would inspire John Wall's loyalty, quell even the possibility of rumors, and energize their fan base.  It was the obvious move and one you'd expect any competent franchise to make.  That Wizards fans are even pleasantly surprised by this demonstrates just how poorly managed this franchise has been in recent decades. 

Have any of yall seen this?

The raw athleticism is unreal, dude is gonna go to work this year
laugh.gif
 John Wall is that dude... but this aint real

You guys see this?

#Satoransky on #Wall's contract e.: "He's a franchise player PG, a no. 1 draft pick, a star of the team who plays 40 mpg. If I ever . . .
— Lukas Kuba (@Luke_Mellow) August 1, 2013

. . . play for #Wiz, it's not an ideal situation 4 me - sitting on bench would stunt my development.I'd not like sitting on bench all game."

RE #Satoransky's quote: Got asked if it's the most ideal situation to get playing time in the NBA - he admitted "It's clear that it is not."

Link

Tomas:

I'm mad they drafted his weak *** anyway.

I wanted Will Barton but I know playing close to home would have been very bad for him.

I'm mad they drafted his weak *** anyway.

I wanted Will Barton but I know playing close to home would have been very bad for him.
You right bout that...early this summer you could always catch him in downtown Baltimore or chillin ova east on the late night..walked into the club one night with like a 40 person entourage :lol: :smh:

thats my mans tho, got alotta heart and plays with unlimited hustle/ energy/ athleticism..would be perfect to run with Wall

You guys see this?
#Satoransky on #Wall's contract e.: "He's a franchise player PG, a no. 1 draft pick, a star of the team who plays 40 mpg. If I ever . . .

. . . play for #Wiz, it's not an ideal situation 4 me - sitting on bench would stunt my development.I'd not like sitting on bench all game."

RE #Satoransky's quote: Got asked if it's the most ideal situation to get playing time in the NBA - he admitted "It's clear that it is not."
This guy averages 12 & 4 in 33 minutes in Spain.  What is an "ideal situation" for him?  Starter minutes?!  

Worry about passing Cartier Martin on the depth chart before you start chirping about John Wall's playing time.  

Have any of yall seen this?

The raw athleticism is unreal, dude is gonna go to work this year

No offense, but I am flabberghasted that you thought that was real. Ignoring the fact that nobody can run the length of the court that quickly, have you ever thrown a basketball through the air? It doesn't travel like that at all :lol: :lol:

Man somebody posted this on Twitter and they thought it was real and I burst their bubble. I had like 6 people arguing me down saying I was nothing but a hater of my own home team sports. :smh:

Lol when i realized it was fake it was too late bro, still it seems beliveable till tou notice certain things

Especially how the camera conviently only catches the ball :lol: but yea im soo embarrassed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom