What Does ANYONE Have To Do To Be Considered Greater Than Mike Jordan?

I know you requested to keep Kobe out of it, but he has the rings and the flair... but there's the SI cover with his mugshot on it.

Me and a friend were discussing Kobe (since you brought him up). We we concluded that since he was so much of a rip off of Jordan that he wouldn't be eligible.
laugh.gif

Almost like Dan trying to be like Ryu.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I know you requested to keep Kobe out of it, but he has the rings and the flair... but there's the SI cover with his mugshot on it.

Me and a friend were discussing Kobe (since you brought him up). We we concluded that since he was so much of a rip off of Jordan that he wouldn't be eligible.
laugh.gif

Almost like Dan trying to be like Ryu.

laugh.gif

Spot on

One can have all of his accomplishments on PAPER, but did the player change the league like MJ did?

If you answer no, then no.

I think for someone to be considered the undisputed GOAT:

1. Either lead one team to 7+ titles or lead two different teams to a total of at least 6 titles

2. Finals MVP in every title win

3. 10+ scoring titles

4. Multiple DPOY

ikari XD:
And as a generation, I think we've put MJ's career on a mythical level. Though I believe a few may realistically come close to being that great over the next 50 years, MJ will still be the yardstick, and as we get older, I think the mythical nature of his career and ability will overrule logic in these kinds of discussion.

I think that's a great point except I don't think logic would be overruled if the accomplishments were even more ridiculous (think 8 titles, 8 finals MVP, 12+ scoring titles, etc...) than MJ's.

Also I think there's something to be said that everyone in the building knew MJ was getting the ball in every big moment and he delivered over and over and over again. He would will his team to huge victories. His killer instinct hasn't been matched by anyone.

I don't think our generation realizes how lucky we are to have been able to watch MJ and now we have the privledge of watching LeBron. It's exciting to me that we get to enjoy LeBron's career and see how far he can take this GOAT discussion as he adds to his accomplishments.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

mike is an icon along with ali and the babe

IMO those 3 make up sports icons...the question should really be who is the most iconic out of those 3

MJ is a bigger icon. Ali wasn't the greatest of all time, he just convinced the casual populace of this. Babe Ruth didn't play against African-American players. There is a reason the words "The greatest there ever was, the greatest there ever will be" are scribed on the man's statue in front of the United Center. I don't see any player becoming greater than MJ.

Originally Posted by Never Seen B4

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

mike is an icon along with ali and the babe

IMO those 3 make up sports icons...the question should really be who is the most iconic out of those 3

MJ is a bigger icon. Ali wasn't the greatest of all time, he just convinced the casual populace of this. Babe Ruth didn't play against African-American players. There is a reason the words "The greatest there ever was, the greatest there ever will be" are scribed on the man's statue in front of the United Center. I don't see any player becoming greater than MJ.
Nah man....Ali is a bigger icon. MJ impacted sports, but thats it. Ali impacted both sports, and social issues. MJ is up there though.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

So if LeBron sporadically wins 4 rings within an 18 year career would that be enough? That is a question I pose.

Not to take anything away from him but it won't be, he has to atleast equal him as far as the major accomplishments.

6 Titles
6 Finals MVP's
5 League MVP's
Defensive Player of the Year award
10 All NBA First Teams

All while being the face of the league, then the serious discussion begins and we'll take into account all of the rest of his accomplishments
Shoe line that grosses hundreds of millions of dollars a year...can also add the clothing line with that....most selling jersey in the history of basketball...

own an nba team...
retire for two years and come back and win 3 titles in a row (
laugh.gif
)
own hanes
do a space jam remake and gross more theatre, dvd, sales

laugh.gif
well the first few were actual ones to consider but the last few are just a sign of how diverse and how far he reached in terms of the media...

don't think lebron will ever star in a movie...even though his documentary was pretty good.

endorsements do not equal greatness.... :l

talent and the ability to take over a game at a moments notice are what would make the next legend. Victory and being the quentesential athelete are what would make something close...

but lets be real. There will never be another MJ...

Spoiler [+]
the same way there will be another jerk that $%%%% on his team mates and #$!%$ a ^@$ in Colorado all in the same year....

Because people have a mental illness where someone from their generation has to be considered the GOAT, even though all objective facts (championships, awards, stats, etc.) speak against their claim.. They will just overlook them.

Hear me out first.

Not what anyone has to do to be a better basketball player.
Not what anyone has to do to be a more marketable player.
Not what anyone has to do to transcend the game as Jordan did.
But collectively (all of the things above) be able to do what Jordan did for the sport. Just in a different era.

Is it possible for anyone within the next 50 years (as long as those that viewed Jordan are still alive) to do anything that will cause us to say, "He is greater than Mike."

Or will it always be almost blasphemous for us to say that someone is greater than Mike even if we really believe it. Or is Mike the best ever and there is nothing anyone can do to change our minds?

This is not just about LeBron but what would he have to do to be considered greater? How many rings? Or will he suffer because he come too soon after Jordan ( No gay stuff ).

Discuss........

PS: Leave Kobe's name out of this because he has no business being mentioned at all. That is my man but let's have a KObe free post.
you sound like a lebron fan
no offense

Lebron does not even have a reputation for being clutch yet. MJ was already one of the most clutch players by age 25 and the best defender in the league
pimp.gif

Just win baby...
pimp.gif

& don't Robert Horry win, but Michael Jordan win. Win the ship with a jumper, win every year your in your prime.. Retire come back & win... twice..

Come out & be your own franchise & have other teams like the Heat retire your number.

I mean where to start son..

Nothing, literally nothing.

I don't think I'll live long enough for someone to say Player A was much better than MJ. I just don't see that happening.
He was an icon.

Originally Posted by copped

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

So if LeBron sporadically wins 4 rings within an 18 year career would that be enough? That is a question I pose.

Not to take anything away from him but it won't be, he has to atleast equal him as far as the major accomplishments.

6 Titles
6 Finals MVP's
5 League MVP's
Defensive Player of the Year award
10 All NBA First Teams

All while being the face of the league, then the serious discussion begins and we'll take into account all of the rest of his accomplishments
Shoe line that grosses hundreds of millions of dollars a year...can also add the clothing line with that....most selling jersey in the history of basketball...

own an nba team...
retire for two years and come back and win 3 titles in a row (
laugh.gif
)
own hanes
do a space jam remake and gross more theatre, dvd, sales

laugh.gif
well the first few were actual ones to consider but the last few are just a sign of how diverse and how far he reached in terms of the media...

don't think lebron will ever star in a movie...even though his documentary was pretty good.
He probably could if he wanted to..I mean that corn ball dwight howard got a flick comin out.

lets be real..beyond the parade of stats and awards..

Mike transcended beyond the game of basketball..the same way Pele and Ali did for their sports...

NO ONE will never reach that level in our lifetimes

He doesnt need 7 championships, Jordan kinda had incredible timing to be able to get 6 championships without a Finals loss.

If LeBron can win 4 straight championships and capture 3 more MVPs...he'll better than Jordan in my book.  

LOL you don't have to win 10 scoring titles to be greater than MJ.

There's way more than "scoring" in a game of basketball. go figure

I dunno if anybody can ever be considered "greater" than Jordan. If anything Jordan has created an ever higher echelon; higher than Magic, Russel, Wilt, Bird, etc. And Lebron could possibly join this upper echelon that MJ has created.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I dunno if anybody can ever be considered "greater" than Jordan. If anything Jordan has created an ever higher echelon; higher than Magic, Russel, Wilt, Bird, etc. And Lebron could possibly join this upper echelon that MJ has created.

Interesting perspective. I like that.

I don't think it's the 5 MVP's or the 13 All-Star Games or any other individual statistic like that.

I think it's the 6 championships and the 6 finals MVP's as well as the fact that he NEVER lost in a championship series.

Jordan was the ultimate winner and the ultimate competitor. He also transcended the game in a way that only Bird and Magic can come close to.

And until someone can match or better that, there will not be a better player than Michael Jordan in my mind...

regular season mvp is very important. season mvp is usually better players than finals mvp: ex, billups, tony parker, james worthy compared to drob, barkley, malone

Back
Top Bottom