What Happened to Nike SB ???

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Originally Posted by ChamWillJam23

^ Nice work on puttin together a list like that- but I dont agree at all with your top 10 (you listed the top 10 hyped) of all time.

Since I complained, I'll list mine:

1.Paris

2.HUF's

3.Heineken's

4.Denim (low's)

5.Pigeon's

6.futura's

7.Shark's

8.lucky/unlucky's

9.bison's

10.true red's

Old spice's, Skunk's, homer's, Tinker Hatfield PRod's follow soon after

Completely missed the Paris SB's:smh:...Let me go add those in. Btw the list was done on an overall basis of the shoe taking account market value, hype and overall stature in the SB collection. My personal top 10 would also be different than the one we put together but overall I think that list covered everything.

if you took market price into consideration then why were Neptunes, T-19s, Cinco de Mayo's, Eires, Barfs on there (Those are probably the most unsought after ("not good"; unpopular) shoes around from that time period?  What about Med 2s (such a "good" shoe)? What about Supreme Highs?
Wheat highs aren't nicknamed "Forbes"  and that pic of Vamps looks orange instead of red.

Really great job making the list. Sorry if I sounded critical, I mean to do so. When ever anyone makes a list of the "best" of something there is always a debatable choice. Good job with the list man. We all know what the "good" sbs are, lets talk about why SB isn't making them like that. I assume you guys already know my feelings on this. It's up to Nike if they want to leave us in the cold. It's up to Nike if they want the demand to come back. Its all up to Nike to produce cws that we fiend after, that we have a desire for, that we actually like, because most of the stuff these days (06-now) is crap compared to those classics 02-05 both in cw, material, and just overall comfort and aesthetics. Nike killed the demand because they got greedy in 06. Then they tried to redeem themselves in 10 by changing the dunk and trying to get the skater market to buy, but as I already said many times before, we have better alternatives that are cheaper than dunks. Nike, if it wants the dunk to sell again and for us (collectors) to be most content, needs to go back to 05 shape in terms of the toebox, go back to 05 heel padding, and most importantly go back to 05 quality of materials, and inspiration and effort in the cws. The cws now lack a lot of what the 02-05 ones had. The cws now are whack. Sure some look good, but if they don't look good to most people then they won't sell and shops will continue to suffer. Nike seriously needs to take these issues into account if it wants a market to continue buying its dunks.

a

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Originally Posted by ChamWillJam23

^ Nice work on puttin together a list like that- but I dont agree at all with your top 10 (you listed the top 10 hyped) of all time.

Since I complained, I'll list mine:

1.Paris

2.HUF's

3.Heineken's

4.Denim (low's)

5.Pigeon's

6.futura's

7.Shark's

8.lucky/unlucky's

9.bison's

10.true red's

Old spice's, Skunk's, homer's, Tinker Hatfield PRod's follow soon after

Completely missed the Paris SB's:smh:...Let me go add those in. Btw the list was done on an overall basis of the shoe taking account market value, hype and overall stature in the SB collection. My personal top 10 would also be different than the one we put together but overall I think that list covered everything.

if you took market price into consideration then why were Neptunes, T-19s, Cinco de Mayo's, Eires, Barfs on there (Those are probably the most unsought after ("not good"; unpopular) shoes around from that time period?  What about Med 2s (such a "good" shoe)? What about Supreme Highs?

Lol Definitely understand. We could have made a top 50 list just off the first 4 years of the SB line had we covered all the other models but we kept it focused on the Dunk. Not going to lie we did miss a few notables such as the shanghais, zoo yorks, chocolates, but overall when you think Nike SB and you think of what was around and what was known, the list covers it. For example the Eires might not have been all that but for a while they were an SB that saw a lot of light because not everyone had the time to wait 4 days plus to get one of the limited releases, so they settled for a pair of Eires since they were mass produced, thus making the sneaker somewhat popular and worth noting. It was originally a top 25 list but it was nearly impossible to keep the list down to such a small number. There have been too many notable SB's that dropped. Just like an Air Force 1 list or a Jordan list, anything under top 50 would miss out too many classics even if they aren't the best, they are still worth noting.

Originally Posted by Kimbrojw2

nike needs to retro the good sbs sometime imo

thats great of you to think, but I truly hope that Nike SB never retros SBs. If you want them, they are readily available, the thing is they cost money. If you want the old stuff then get a job and go buy them. Deals can be found on eBay (quite often these days, since so many people are desperate for cash), and if you find a deal, you can either keep em for yourself or sell for market price and use that money to buy something that you really want.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Originally Posted by Kimbrojw2

nike needs to retro the good sbs sometime imo

thats great of you to think, but I truly hope that Nike SB never retros SBs. If you want them, they are readily available, the thing is they cost money. If you want the old stuff then get a job and go buy them. Deals can be found on eBay (quite often these days, since so many people are desperate for cash), and if you find a deal, you can either keep em for yourself or sell for market price and use that money to buy something that you really want.

eyes.gif
grin.gif
sick.gif
nerd.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

c7b2536e29b50bbef1f135be6ef6ee3ed53c410.gif
e0035d42ef92b717b17cf223186591ec7469358.jpg

278155e6b4beff18bf964aa292b13fa41d9c47a.gif

Nike Sb is pretty much *DEAD*

Now days they just come up with wierd Sh!+ and make people go hypebeast and cop...

Usually the scraps are the ones people want. In my opinion.

In my opinion Nike SB will only be revived if Nike starts retro'ing the past models again. That will easily rejuvenate the line. Imagine Supremes, Heinys, Tiffanys, Pigeons all getting re-releases? Im sure the production numbers will be higher than originally since Nike will try to take advantage but I dont think anyone would pass up the opportunity to get those at retail.

In my opinion Nike SB will only be revived if Nike starts retro'ing the past models again. That will easily rejuvenate the line. Imagine Supremes, Heinys, Tiffanys, Pigeons all getting re-releases? Im sure the production numbers will be higher than originally since Nike will try to take advantage but I dont think anyone would pass up the opportunity to get those at retail.

I dont think Nike SB would take the same route after seeing what retros did to JB. Retros led to JB becoming dependent on them for success instead of having to put in effort to come up with new "classics" and new cws. Nike SB doesn't need this burden. Nike SB was successful for four years and then the designers changed and they've sucked from there. Sure there are some decent cws, but come on, the cws these days are garbage compared to the 02-05 heat. Quality aside, I'd take Ginos, Barfs, Band Aids, Ostriches over almost every flop post 05 just for the cw.

Nike SB is trying, I know they are, but they aren't trying hard enough to win us back. Look at the reception on a gimmick dunk for July, SJs, people are going crazy over it, but then you look at the upcoming stuff and compared to them, SJs are on a whole other level.

Nike SB can do better than SJs, they can do better than 06 stuff, BUT ONLY IF THEY PUT IN THE EFFORT TO DO SO. A change in designer is necessary because Bavarratto sucks. SB needs more collabs with people who know what we like and who have the ability to design something great. The 02-05, Nike SB knew how to do this. The new Nike SB (06-now) is different from the old one. They seriously need to step their gane up.

wait wait wait. You think the colorways now are garbage, but you'd take the Barfs over the current stuff?

All of your posts in the SB threads makes me think that you don't buy SBs at all anymore, what DO you buy/wear? Are you rocking your 02-05 heat until the stars are completely gone or have you decided to branch out and explore other brands?

I look for deals on old stuff on eBay, and MAY cop SJs, depending on how they fit. Hell ya I'd take Barfs (over most of the new stuff), I actually don't think they are that bad, plus the quality is so much better on them than the current stuff. Barfs are certainly not on "my grail list" though neither are Ginos, Ostriches, or Band Aids. I wouldn't mind a pair of grits though, plus they aren't that expensive these days either.

I mean, I like the barfs too, but I'm a lunatic that spends hours on ebay trying to find the Airwalk 86 lows I had in middle school in my size. So while I like them, I don't think I'd ever name check them when reminiscing on the "good old days"

its just the focus is different.. and the attention from the collectors changes too.. its like if something gets too popular people jump ship. the colors schemes n things will always change and becomeo stagnent after a while. but there are still some good colorways that sneak out. but mainly the hype is elsewhere which is a good thing if u ask me. but let a limited slew of colors and collabs come back around.. the herd will follow..

Originally Posted by jaymon23

its just the focus is different.. and the attention from the collectors changes too.. its like if something gets too popular people jump ship. the colors schemes n things will always change and becomeo stagnent after a while. but there are still some good colorways that sneak out. but mainly the hype is elsewhere which is a good thing if u ask me. but let a limited slew of colors and collabs come back around.. the herd will follow..
People keep saying "people have moved on", but honestly where have they moved too. People say Supra is on some HB !@+, but thats obviously artificial hype (there is no real demand). Janos dont have hype (yet, lets seriously hope it stays that way, that shoe nor any shoe doesnt need to become like dunks), Jordans have fallen off (FEW exceptions), AF1s have died. Adidas is on that Teddy bear stuff, I forget the designer's name, Jeremy Scott or something, but again those aren't being sought after by a large number of heads (though they are sought after). Nike is still at the top, but with dunks really struggling to sell, I don't see where the "herd" has followed. I notice a lot of heads have left SBs, but not to move onto another style or brand, just stopped collecting in general.

If the cws come back to SB, the solid themes and the good looking color schemes, then people will come. Just look at the demand on SJs, though they are a real gimmick. SB needs to be original in its cws if it wants to remain with dunks. Otherwise, they're better off discontinuing the dunk all together since skaters have stopped skating dunks.

The bubble popped. People moved on and started obsessing about other things and not just sneakers, sure there hasn't been that big a drop in units moved (although we can't be too sure about that without getting some concrete info from the manufacturers), but take a look at other things that were big and had a ton of people into it. Comics, sports cards, Collectible Card games (I'm just naming stuff I was guilty of falling into while growing up) You're going to have a group of people that were into it before everyone else got into it, some will get fed up when there's a ton of speculators in to make a buck and leave before the bubble pops, others will ride the wave and get out with the speculators, and then there will be people that are still in it because they didn't care about how much money you could make by buying a pair or 15 extra. They stayed true to their tastes and keep buying stuff even when it's not cool.

right, I was in that sports card hobby too (still collect sometimes, but the new stuff is worthless, all the collectors are on the old stuff, pre 80s cards, in the 80s thats when the sports card collecting hobby died as card companies over produced like crazy)

I don't know what you mean by "units moved". I think that dunks have not been overproduced, it just seems that way with all the pairs at shops, BUT I do know that SBs are much more available with so many shops having them and online sellers (stores, not resellers). I wouldn't mind these online stores closing and some shops losing their account (but I can understand why some people wouldn't like that, if that shop is their only source for Nike SB). If the cws were really popular then even with the "extra" shops having accounts, the shoes would still be in demand., imo. There has to be a limit to amount of pairs per cw though, for demand to be there.

The thing is though with Dunks, there still is a market, there still are many people watching, NIKE SB is not delivering with the cws and as quality has decreased and comfort changes, less people are interested in dunks (including SB's intended audience, skaters, though now I feel like SB is trying to appeal to collectors, but if the cws arent there then we wont buy, and if the quality isnt there, less people will be interested as well. I know that the shape has affected sales as well.)

THE HYPEBEAST IS WHAT LED TO SB's, JB, AND THE SNEAKER CULTURE'S DOWNFALL
We'll see man. If Nike just brings back the 05 dunk (shape, heel padding, comfort, quality of materials, and popular (well liked) cws) IN LIMITED RUNS the demand will be there, BUT because of the HB, that most likely will never happen, unless shops are charged more wholesale and Nike can make the same amount of money as they do now.

only bumping this up because after reading through all the other pages I have a couple ?ions. elcerrito91 is very clear on his stance on the SB Dunks (see below)

“..We aren’t skating them because there are cheaper options that are actually better for skating than dunks..

EXACTLY. I was reading about how people say the quality has gone down, people don't like the lace guard. Have you guys considered that they might not be catering towards hypebeasts, but rather skateboarders? They increased durability, modified the sole for more grip, for skateboarders, not sneakerheads. All those classic releases that you guys want, no one skates them, or rather, no skateboarders want them. Nike SB is trying to do what it was meant to do in the first place. Make skate shoes for skateboarders. 

all things hot, must cool off. dunks as a whole were popping for a good while they literally pumped out hundreds for a few years.just over saturated the market completely.

I think they hype died out a little but they have dropped pretty decent colorways in the last year.... I copped the Koziks, Slayers, Space Jams, Cheech and Chongs, Passports.... they are all dope colorways.  Kostons and Jans are dope also... I ***** with em still.  Don't understand the hate.... 

I always appreciated Dunks, before SB's.  One of my favorite shoes of all time.... 

Yeah, I think Nike SB just over saturated the market with colorways in the gold box era and kind of killed the shoe. The peak of the SB era was def pink box. Even with the black box the concepts started to slowly decline. It seems like there's a bit of an increase in interest though lately with the release of the Nontourages, Bleached Pusheads, and Red Premes. I have def lost some of my interest in dunks, but I doubt I would ever sell my collection off. I still love rocking a lot of the classics I have on a consistent basis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom