What in your opinion is the single most dishonest profession?

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by scshift

I was going to say doctor but I haven't really had many bad experiences with them, so I'm going with dentists.

The reason why doctors/dentists can be dishonest is because they get paid so much and have knowledge of their field that the common people don't have, so it wouldn't be hard for them to prescribe something, make some solid cash and the average person would never know they just got played. That, and the whole health field scares people because no one wants to live with something wrong with their body, so they're easily gullible if a doctor/dentist wanted to fool them.

My dentist insisted on me getting fillings for cavities, charging me an arm and leg for each one. I went to another dentist and he told me the cavities were incredibly shallow and would recover just from careful brushing and told me to wait before committing to getting fillings. Meanwhile, the original dentist was trying to rush me into getting it done, saying it was urgent.

Again, this is all generalization. Lots of doctors are honest, good people. But there is huge potential for there to be dishonesty.

Just some personal advice, if you're ever getting anything done know what you're getting done, do your research-We live in the age of information, in this day and age physicians can be blown away by how much their patients know about their conditions

Being an EDUCATOR is actually part of a physician's job description, patients are not PASSIVE recipients of the information we give them-we don't say, Mr Schift you have cancer because I said so-Medicine doesn't work that way
True but with that being said something like WebMD is a dangerous thing for someone who hasnt had the yrs and yrs of training and education. Its good to know what procedure you are having done and the risks but you can scare yourself out of almost any procedure because of EXTREMELY rare complications.
you right, that's what's beautiful about the profession there are guidelines but everyone takes their own unique approach within the ethical boundaries

LOL I can't help but laugh (not out loud of course) sometimes when my attending describes the complications of an LP, I'm like who the hell would wanna get this after that description
laugh.gif

Yea um, some of the risks are paraplegia, cerebral herniation, etc etc but I've done this 100 times and I've never had that happen but it can happen-

Patient
grin.gif

veterinarian. hands down.
they use scare tactics to make you believe your pet is going to catch some life threatening disease the day you bring'em in. take this shot and buy these pills, they're prone to infection if they play in the grass or drink rain water... oh yeah? so without humans animals wouldnt survive

Just some personal advice, if you're ever getting anything done know what you're getting done, do your research-We live in the age of information, in this day and age physicians can be blown away by how much their patients know about their conditions

Being an EDUCATOR is actually part of a physician's job description, patients are not PASSIVE recipients of the information we give them-we don't say, Mr Schift you have cancer because I said so-Medicine doesn't work that way
True but with that being said something like WebMD is a dangerous thing for someone who hasnt had the yrs and yrs of training and education. Its good to know what procedure you are having done and the risks but you can scare yourself out of almost any procedure because of EXTREMELY rare complications.
you right, that's what's beautiful about the profession there are guidelines but everyone takes their own unique approach within the ethical boundaries

LOL I can't help but laugh sometimes when my attending describes the complications of an LP, I'm like who the hell would wanna get this after that description
laugh.gif

Yea um, some of the risks are paraplegia, cerebral herniation, etc etc but I've done this 100 times and I've never had that happen but it can happen-

Patient
grin.gif
Lol yea I do fluoro guided LPs/myelograms/ intrathecal MTX all the time and i have a list of possible complications, bleeding, infection, nausea, vomiting, seizure, headache, nerve injury/damage,you can become vasovagal and brady down, herniation, death,  but most are very rare, the headache is really the only somewhat common one.

LOL I can't help but laugh (not out loud of course) sometimes when my attending describes the complications of an LP, I'm like who the hell would wanna get this after that description
laugh.gif

Patient
grin.gif
Things like WebMD are dangerous to people who form opinions without first gaining knowledge of the topic.

If they come in with an open mind and they read the pros AND the cons and then ask their health professional, and then form an opinion; they are doing the right thing, but most people don't do that. They will read or hear one negative thing and before knowing anything else they will form a negative opinion.

What MDs and other people in the medical field need to do is be honest about the dangers, but STRESS how the benefits far out weigh the risk. Well at least that's what I try to do.

Mechanics top the list for me.

In PA, you have to get a mandatory extortion, I mean inspection every year. 
mad.gif
  The mechanics use this against you and tell you that they will fail you unless you get X, Y, or Z replaced. 

I know about cars and it's terrible.  I've been ready to punch these fools in the mouth before. 

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

veterinarian. hands down.
they use scare tactics to make you believe your pet is going to catch some life threatening disease the day you bring'em in. take this shot and buy these pills, they're prone to infection if they play in the grass or drink rain water... oh yeah? so without humans animals wouldnt survive
I fully disagree with the people who said doctors, but vets...I could see why people would say that. They really do make you believe something is a lot more
serious than it actually is. They tend to press on about your pet getting surgery, when dehydration is more than likely a problem, where you could just make
sure your pet gets much more hydrated than it is.

By your guys estimation then, nobody is dishonest. Everyone is just trying to hustle.

Hospital Administrators?

You guys make the Health Care industry sound perfect and ethical.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Agreed.

I think some of ya'll need to really get a grasp on what you're talking about. Lawyers don't typically defend clients they think are guilty just to win the case. They do it because its their job. Even criminals have the right to an attorney. And what a lawyer thinks is irrelevant. What can be proven in a court is what matters. What if a man is innocent but every single lawyer out thinks he's guilty, does he not deserve legal representation? Maybe you should do some research on how our legal system works lol.

No need to research anything bro...as a person your moral compass must be really *%%%+# up to defend a serial killer caught on tape and try and bend the law to the best of your ability to try and get this serial killer back out in the streets based on a technicality or loophole of our flawed justice system...
No you obviously do need to do your research. You do understand that our justice system could not exist otherwise without some of these simple premises? This boils down to straight constitutional law son. The 6th amendment of the US constitution gives us the right to counsel. Not the option, THE RIGHT. Public defenders are paid to defend the public. Not to be judge of someone's character by virtue of their own moral compass. There's a reason lawyers are lawyers, judges are judges and the jury is the jury.

I perfectly understand all that, I'm just saying that it's still dishonest to know someone committed a crime and it's YOUR job to knowingly defend this individual and place him back out into society...it's pretty simple, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that with my help, some sociopath is out on the loose.

if you're getting worked by your mechanic that's your fault.  find a new mechanic and do your own research.  personally i can't pay a mechanic to do something i can do myself, but at the bare minimum do some research on the problem and find a mechanic you can trust.

as far as most dishonest profession... i'm rollin with strippers, followed by cops.

No need to research anything bro...as a person your moral compass must be really *%%%+# up to defend a serial killer caught on tape and try and bend the law to the best of your ability to try and get this serial killer back out in the streets based on a technicality or loophole of our flawed justice system...
No you obviously do need to do your research. You do understand that our justice system could not exist otherwise without some of these simple premises? This boils down to straight constitutional law son. The 6th amendment of the US constitution gives us the right to counsel. Not the option, THE RIGHT. Public defenders are paid to defend the public. Not to be judge of someone's character by virtue of their own moral compass. There's a reason lawyers are lawyers, judges are judges and the jury is the jury.

I perfectly understand all that, I'm just saying that it's still dishonest to know someone committed a crime and it's YOUR job to knowingly defend this individual and place him back out into society...it's pretty simple, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that with my help, some sociopath is out on the loose.

Seems like you've been watchin'

Spoiler [+]

3nesrmgb-devilsadvocate_movies_635x400.jpg

And thinkin' bout...

Spoiler [+]

460-oj-simpson-cour_996961c.jpg

Criminal defense isn't my bread and butter, but I got homies and family members that do that $+!% 24/7...

...I know you'd like to discuss morals, ethics, and philosophy, but at the end of the day - it's a job, b.

Know this though, for every one sleaze ball attorney that you
30t6p3b.gif
at - there are 7 that work for the prosecution and won't rest until the guy you just saw on the news gets three hots and a cot...

...don't let the movies fool you - more often than not, evil loses.

But the bad guy winning will always get more publicity (and his lawyer will always get more money)...

steezy I remember you saying you caught a DUI before, did you have an attorney?

Originally Posted by Beacon ave south

steezy I remember you saying you caught a DUI before, did you have an attorney?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Seems like you've been watchin'

Spoiler [+]

3nesrmgb-devilsadvocate_movies_635x400.jpg

And thinkin' bout...

Spoiler [+]

460-oj-simpson-cour_996961c.jpg

Criminal defense isn't my bread and butter, but I got homies and family members that do that $+!% 24/7...

...I know you'd like to discuss morals, ethics, and philosophy, but at the end of the day - it's a job, b.

Know this though, for every one sleaze ball attorney that you
30t6p3b.gif
at - there are 7 that work for the prosecution and won't rest until the guy you just saw on the news gets three hots and a cot...

...don't let the movies fool you - more often than not, evil loses.

But the bad guy winning will always get more publicity (and his lawyer will always get more money)...

I'm going to weigh in here and say that lawyers are held to pretty high ethical standards (the RPC), but they really aren't followed in many cases (Billable Hours, candor before the court, prosecutor duty to do justice to name a few).
However, after working in real estate for the past year, your money is about 3x as safe in a lawyer's escrow account than in a title agent or other non layer's account. 

Oh and Illegal is right, it's our duty under the 6th amendment to defend clients even if we think are guilty in certain criminal cases. That's how our legal system works. Everyone is entitled to competent counsel if life liberty or property is at risk of being deprived by the government.

Back
Top Bottom