Why don't sportcasters keep it real about Lebron?

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

31 post....not a good way to start off your NT career.
Been on NT for yeeeeaars...but I see your point. It's not like I'm trolling or saying this just to say it. What purpose would I have to say "Lebron James doesn't have a good first step" to get laughs from NT? I just think dude's weaknesses are so apparent, yet it feels like people aren't educated enough to know the differences or just go with what they hear or think because it's the easy thing to do (Which is why there's such a wide range of opinions). I just don't feel like Lebron is that good of a pure scorer...therefore I can't call him the best in the game. He's one of the best at his position, but that's as far as I can go.

Been on NT for yeeeeaars...but I see your point. It's not like I'm trolling or saying this just to say it. What purpose would I have to say "Lebron James doesn't have a good first step" to get laughs from NT? I just think dude's weaknesses are so apparent, yet it feels like people aren't educated enough to know the differences or just go with what they hear or think because it's the easy thing to do (Which is why there's such a wide range of opinions). I just don't feel like Lebron is that good of a pure scorer...therefore I can't call him the best in the game. He's one of the best at his position, but that's as far as I can go.

Originally Posted by 4Shoposite

so who's better than him? 
it's not just ESPN. ask coaches/GMs... lebron's the best player in the L. hell, you make a poll on NT and lebron will win that poll, despite all the hate. 

you can't deny a guy who puts up 27, 8, 7 on 51%fg.

it's not just ESPN. ask coaches/GMs... lebron's the best player in the L. hell, you make a poll on NT and lebron will win that poll, despite all the hate. 

I agree it is a weakness but it's not a glaring weakness. It might become a factor as he gets older but right now dude is a beast and no matter who guards him, it's a mismatch.

The glaring weakness in his game is the lack of post moves/skills. I believe if he had skills down on the block he could either average 35 or 11-12 assists a game.

I agree it is a weakness but it's not a glaring weakness. It might become a factor as he gets older but right now dude is a beast and no matter who guards him, it's a mismatch.

The glaring weakness in his game is the lack of post moves/skills. I believe if he had skills down on the block he could either average 35 or 11-12 assists a game.

I'm with you OP. Dude is a great player, but it's obvious to anybody that really watches the game of basketball, that there are things #6 need to work on. I was talking about this very same subject like last month.

This is how you guard #6; back off of him. Go under the pick and don't double him. Guard him straight up. He doesn't have the arsenal to kill you in the half court or mid-range game unless he gets hot, and you stop him from getting hot by fouling him hard and talking about his mother
laugh.gif
. Watch when I tell you, this is exactly how Boston will and has guarded him.

You are right OP, great post and I'm glad you're getting this many responses in your thread.

I'm with you OP. Dude is a great player, but it's obvious to anybody that really watches the game of basketball, that there are things #6 need to work on. I was talking about this very same subject like last month.

This is how you guard #6; back off of him. Go under the pick and don't double him. Guard him straight up. He doesn't have the arsenal to kill you in the half court or mid-range game unless he gets hot, and you stop him from getting hot by fouling him hard and talking about his mother
laugh.gif
. Watch when I tell you, this is exactly how Boston will and has guarded him.

You are right OP, great post and I'm glad you're getting this many responses in your thread.

Originally Posted by nyk buc

It's not about being better or the stats. If you want to say that because Lebron is so good at everything else and that's why he's the best...then fine. I can't argue with what you feel is important to you. To me, assist and rebounds are important, but I don't hold too much weight into those just by looking at the statistics. Andre Miller is the king of cheap assist. Adonyl Foyle used to be the King of cheap Rebounds. Those stats can be attributed to 'the right play' or the 'stat that's just there' sometimes. Players I'd rather build my team around: Rose, Wade, Kobe (especially prime Kobe), a younger Paul Pierce (Dude's offensive game was so underrated. I think he low key striked fear in more defenders hearts than everybody except Kobe. He just couldn't pass the ball too well). Everybody else perimeter wise is on Lebron's level. Durant is a great young player, but sometimes I watch him and can't make up my mind yet. If he's going for the Reggie Miller type of scoring...then I think he's dependable. Sometimes your outside shot can just be that good...but Durant doesn't have that good of a slashing ability for my taste. I'm still trying to make up my mind about Durant. I like Melo...I really do. The one thing that holds him back to me is that he has the mentality of a scorer with the domination ability of someone who likes to go through the motions. Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't like to always put his mark on the game.

Is it arrogant for me to say that I believe I know more about what I'm talking about than these coaches/GMs? Sure...but If that's the consensus feeling, I have to say that I honestly do.

Hear me out. I want everyone to watch the next Heat game and pay close attention to the way Lebron gets his baskets. 95% of the time, if he's on the outside looking to score, he calls for a pick. 

Now let me make this clear. I am not saying that using a pick is a bad thing. Throughout the game, it actually allows a player to conserve energy and also keeps the team balanced by utilizing different players on the offense.

But what I pay attention to the most is if a player uses a pick because it's actually the easier and more simple thing to do when the game is still in a 'less than critical' mode OR if he uses it because he can't consistently beat his man off the dribble. Like I stated earlier, the problem with using a pick if you are a swingman who is looking to score down the stretch is that when the game gets critical - it's easy to doubleteam and force the star player to pass the ball. For the same reason why big men who work out of the post aren't normally dependable closers...it's the same reason why a pick is a stupid thing for a perimeter player who's first option is looking to score to do! It gives the defense the ammo necessary to force you to make someone else take the shot. People know what's coming when a pick is called. It almost develops before it even happens, so it doesn't really shock a defense. It gives the defense a chance to defend it by breaking down to one or two options. If a player blows by his man straight up...the defense is much more behind.

John Stockton and the Utah Jazz were great at using the pick and roll down the stretch because he wasn't the primary scorer in those situations...Karl Malone was - and then a domino effect of what became available after he got the ball. The only time a pick is consistent down the stretch is if the defense messes up and the dribbler gets the chance for a spot up J (TMAC is the primary example of this. One of his few great buckets to seal a game came from something like this in a playoff game against the Mavs).

When I say cheap points...I'm not necessarily saying that they're easy...I just don't think they are what you can depend on down the stretch. Nasty habits that Lebron has picked up because of his lack of a first step is that pull up 3. Tracy McGrady used to do the same thing all the time. Night in and night out...you can't depend on that. That's a superstar shot with a 12th man effect. Backdoor alley oops...you can't depend on that. Fastbreak dunks...non dependable. Putbacks and shots while the defense isn't set up...these are what I definitely consider 'cheap points'. When I watch Lebron...that's how I normally see him score. If Lebron realizes he can't beat his man one on one...he calls for a pick. If the defense recovers and his man stays in front of him, he either shoots a outside jumper or he decides to back his man down and bully him HOPING for the foul. The reason I say hoping, because a great percentage of those contested shots are some of the ugliest shots I have seen in NBA history. That's just not dependable folks. The only shot in Lebron's repitore that I think is dependable when a team truly locks in on him is his triple-threat stance jumper/dribble - pull up jumper. If Lebron gets confident in that shot, then that is what can hide this weakness. I watch the games too much to just make this up.

Yes, I do put a lot of weight on how great a player's first step is. Call my team "Great First Step"
laugh.gif
 I believe you can have hardly any skills at all...Your outside jumper could be horrible. But if you can beat your man off the dribble consistently, you can still make a impact on the game. Ask any perimeter hooper what attribute they would give their right arm for and it's a great first step. I always use Grant Hill as an example. A young Grant Hill had no outside game whatsoever. He was a superstar solely because of his first step and ability to explode just as good as Lebron in a one man transition. The only problem with Hill is that he didn't have a scorers mentality and didn't own what God had blessed him with. He could have been very similar to MJ if his mind was a little different. But it's also why I believe Grant is still effective to this day. His first step...though not as great as it once was, is still capable enough to keep him effective and in the league.

All I want people to do is just pay attention to what I'm saying. The next Heat game...just closely look at the things I've pointed out. If I actually convince one person to see what I'm saying, then maybe I think I had made a difference.  
pimp.gif
 If you still disagree...a
indifferent.gif
 is cool, but I really can't see how people don't see it. Bron fans...I aint trying to blow your boy's spot up, but It gets kinda irratating when people who you think are knowledgable say different or call him the best player in the world. He's just not.

Originally Posted by nyk buc

It's not about being better or the stats. If you want to say that because Lebron is so good at everything else and that's why he's the best...then fine. I can't argue with what you feel is important to you. To me, assist and rebounds are important, but I don't hold too much weight into those just by looking at the statistics. Andre Miller is the king of cheap assist. Adonyl Foyle used to be the King of cheap Rebounds. Those stats can be attributed to 'the right play' or the 'stat that's just there' sometimes. Players I'd rather build my team around: Rose, Wade, Kobe (especially prime Kobe), a younger Paul Pierce (Dude's offensive game was so underrated. I think he low key striked fear in more defenders hearts than everybody except Kobe. He just couldn't pass the ball too well). Everybody else perimeter wise is on Lebron's level. Durant is a great young player, but sometimes I watch him and can't make up my mind yet. If he's going for the Reggie Miller type of scoring...then I think he's dependable. Sometimes your outside shot can just be that good...but Durant doesn't have that good of a slashing ability for my taste. I'm still trying to make up my mind about Durant. I like Melo...I really do. The one thing that holds him back to me is that he has the mentality of a scorer with the domination ability of someone who likes to go through the motions. Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't like to always put his mark on the game.

Is it arrogant for me to say that I believe I know more about what I'm talking about than these coaches/GMs? Sure...but If that's the consensus feeling, I have to say that I honestly do.

Hear me out. I want everyone to watch the next Heat game and pay close attention to the way Lebron gets his baskets. 95% of the time, if he's on the outside looking to score, he calls for a pick. 

Now let me make this clear. I am not saying that using a pick is a bad thing. Throughout the game, it actually allows a player to conserve energy and also keeps the team balanced by utilizing different players on the offense.

But what I pay attention to the most is if a player uses a pick because it's actually the easier and more simple thing to do when the game is still in a 'less than critical' mode OR if he uses it because he can't consistently beat his man off the dribble. Like I stated earlier, the problem with using a pick if you are a swingman who is looking to score down the stretch is that when the game gets critical - it's easy to doubleteam and force the star player to pass the ball. For the same reason why big men who work out of the post aren't normally dependable closers...it's the same reason why a pick is a stupid thing for a perimeter player who's first option is looking to score to do! It gives the defense the ammo necessary to force you to make someone else take the shot. People know what's coming when a pick is called. It almost develops before it even happens, so it doesn't really shock a defense. It gives the defense a chance to defend it by breaking down to one or two options. If a player blows by his man straight up...the defense is much more behind.

John Stockton and the Utah Jazz were great at using the pick and roll down the stretch because he wasn't the primary scorer in those situations...Karl Malone was - and then a domino effect of what became available after he got the ball. The only time a pick is consistent down the stretch is if the defense messes up and the dribbler gets the chance for a spot up J (TMAC is the primary example of this. One of his few great buckets to seal a game came from something like this in a playoff game against the Mavs).

When I say cheap points...I'm not necessarily saying that they're easy...I just don't think they are what you can depend on down the stretch. Nasty habits that Lebron has picked up because of his lack of a first step is that pull up 3. Tracy McGrady used to do the same thing all the time. Night in and night out...you can't depend on that. That's a superstar shot with a 12th man effect. Backdoor alley oops...you can't depend on that. Fastbreak dunks...non dependable. Putbacks and shots while the defense isn't set up...these are what I definitely consider 'cheap points'. When I watch Lebron...that's how I normally see him score. If Lebron realizes he can't beat his man one on one...he calls for a pick. If the defense recovers and his man stays in front of him, he either shoots a outside jumper or he decides to back his man down and bully him HOPING for the foul. The reason I say hoping, because a great percentage of those contested shots are some of the ugliest shots I have seen in NBA history. That's just not dependable folks. The only shot in Lebron's repitore that I think is dependable when a team truly locks in on him is his triple-threat stance jumper/dribble - pull up jumper. If Lebron gets confident in that shot, then that is what can hide this weakness. I watch the games too much to just make this up.

Yes, I do put a lot of weight on how great a player's first step is. Call my team "Great First Step"
laugh.gif
 I believe you can have hardly any skills at all...Your outside jumper could be horrible. But if you can beat your man off the dribble consistently, you can still make a impact on the game. Ask any perimeter hooper what attribute they would give their right arm for and it's a great first step. I always use Grant Hill as an example. A young Grant Hill had no outside game whatsoever. He was a superstar solely because of his first step and ability to explode just as good as Lebron in a one man transition. The only problem with Hill is that he didn't have a scorers mentality and didn't own what God had blessed him with. He could have been very similar to MJ if his mind was a little different. But it's also why I believe Grant is still effective to this day. His first step...though not as great as it once was, is still capable enough to keep him effective and in the league.

All I want people to do is just pay attention to what I'm saying. The next Heat game...just closely look at the things I've pointed out. If I actually convince one person to see what I'm saying, then maybe I think I had made a difference.  
pimp.gif
 If you still disagree...a
indifferent.gif
 is cool, but I really can't see how people don't see it. Bron fans...I aint trying to blow your boy's spot up, but It gets kinda irratating when people who you think are knowledgable say different or call him the best player in the world. He's just not.

It's like arguing with a wall. LeBron does have a great first step. Period. Just because he doesn't get the separation of Derrick Rose, doesn't mean it isn't great. It's all relative, you need to compare his first step to other 260+ pounders. In case you didn't take high school physics, acceleration = force / mass. Since mass is the denominator, as mass approaches infinity, acceleration approaches zero. As you can see, a guy's mass inversely correlates towards his burst, so why compare LeBron's first step to guys who weigh 50 pounds less than him? How many 260+ pounders have a better first step than LeBron? Don't know anyone off the top of my head, so obviously he does have a great first step, relative to his weight, which is the only way to look at it.

So not only are you wrong, but your whole point is irrelevant anyway, because no player is perfect. How pointless would it be to make a thread about Jordan not being the greatest because he didn't have great range? Exactly.

It's like arguing with a wall. LeBron does have a great first step. Period. Just because he doesn't get the separation of Derrick Rose, doesn't mean it isn't great. It's all relative, you need to compare his first step to other 260+ pounders. In case you didn't take high school physics, acceleration = force / mass. Since mass is the denominator, as mass approaches infinity, acceleration approaches zero. As you can see, a guy's mass inversely correlates towards his burst, so why compare LeBron's first step to guys who weigh 50 pounds less than him? How many 260+ pounders have a better first step than LeBron? Don't know anyone off the top of my head, so obviously he does have a great first step, relative to his weight, which is the only way to look at it.

So not only are you wrong, but your whole point is irrelevant anyway, because no player is perfect. How pointless would it be to make a thread about Jordan not being the greatest because he didn't have great range? Exactly.

abovelegit1 wrote:

Please re-read all of my post in this thread.

My post are like the Bible. Everything you say - I have explained before...you just have to go reread how I explained it. The problem with Lebron is that at his size/weight...whatever you want to call it, the way he scores is not how other people his size scores. Lebron scores like a player who thinks he can beat his man one on one everytime. He simply can't. Lebron needs a consistent pick.�The player Lebron reminds me most of on the offensive end is Charles Barkley...Barkley just didn't know how�or want to�be a dribbler in the pick and role. Every other part of his game is the exact same way Lebron scores. Charles was a great player...just like Lebron is. But he wasn't the best player in the league. I mentioned it in my first post...if Lebron develops a post game...then maybe he might be more dependable in the halfcourt set - but he still won't be that dependable in critical situations because of the ease of doubleteaming. But that's what Lebron has to do. He has to either create a post game and really become like Chuck (Have another guy create and be the guy creating off the dribble ala KJ)...or own up to being a 2nd banana and become a pointguard who isn't a guy you can say "ok, be a closer". Turn into a tall Deron Williams of some sort.

I mentioned the Utah game earlier. Look at�the clip i posted above this writing (dont know how to put it where i want it). Look at the difference in Lebron's confidence when he realizes he can beat AK47. It's like night and day. Look how dominating he looks. This is a�very very very rare occurance. He's almost a different player.

Michael Jordan didn't have great range in the three...but he could hit it. But regardless of that - MJ didn't rely on 3s that much in critical situations so it's a mute point...and that's a great thing. You know who does?......

I will continue to edit my post because I don't want to go over the limit like I did the other day.
laugh.gif

��

abovelegit1 wrote:

My post are like the Bible. Everything you say - I have explained before...you just have to go reread how I explained it. The problem with Lebron is that at his size/weight...whatever you want to call it, the way he scores is not how other people his size scores. Lebron scores like a player who thinks he can beat his man one on one everytime. He simply can't. Lebron needs a consistent pick.�The player Lebron reminds me most of on the offensive end is Charles Barkley...Barkley just didn't know how�or want to�be a dribbler in the pick and role. Every other part of his game is the exact same way Lebron scores. Charles was a great player...just like Lebron is. But he wasn't the best player in the league. I mentioned it in my first post...if Lebron develops a post game...then maybe he might be more dependable in the halfcourt set - but he still won't be that dependable in critical situations because of the ease of doubleteaming. But that's what Lebron has to do. He has to either create a post game and really become like Chuck (Have another guy create and be the guy creating off the dribble ala KJ)...or own up to being a 2nd banana and become a pointguard who isn't a guy you can say "ok, be a closer". Turn into a tall Deron Williams of some sort.

I mentioned the Utah game earlier. Look at�the clip i posted above this writing (dont know how to put it where i want it). Look at the difference in Lebron's confidence when he realizes he can beat AK47. It's like night and day. Look how dominating he looks. This is a�very very very rare occurance. He's almost a different player.

Michael Jordan didn't have great range in the three...but he could hit it. But regardless of that - MJ didn't rely on 3s that much in critical situations so it's a mute point...and that's a great thing. You know who does?......

I will continue to edit my post because I don't want to go over the limit like I did the other day.
laugh.gif

��

OP is 100% right. I've noticed how he RARELY can take his man straight one on one and dominate off the dribble. He NEEDS the pick to try to get his man off balance and if he cant he'll shoot a jumper or pass.

Now i don't agree with him having the worst first step behind Granger but for his caliber it could be better

But hey, what do we know he is still the best all around player in the league and 2x MVP lol

OP is 100% right. I've noticed how he RARELY can take his man straight one on one and dominate off the dribble. He NEEDS the pick to try to get his man off balance and if he cant he'll shoot a jumper or pass.

Now i don't agree with him having the worst first step behind Granger but for his caliber it could be better

But hey, what do we know he is still the best all around player in the league and 2x MVP lol

Denzel-Washington-Gangster.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But Im not saying he has a worst first step than Granger...I with out a doubt believe Granger has the worst step of any player his position - his height,size, and caliber - I've ever seen in the history of NBA basketball. It's pathetic! This season he shot 5 threes a game, and last season he shot 7 THREES A GAME. Dude don't even be running off screens and firing. You wanna know why? HE CAN'T BEAT HIS MAN!

Trust me...I kinda know for certain there's a few prestigious individuals in the basketball circle who believe this but just don't want to be too negative or have that type of attention put on them. But hey, he's still rich and a great player.

Denzel-Washington-Gangster.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But Im not saying he has a worst first step than Granger...I with out a doubt believe Granger has the worst step of any player his position - his height,size, and caliber - I've ever seen in the history of NBA basketball. It's pathetic! This season he shot 5 threes a game, and last season he shot 7 THREES A GAME. Dude don't even be running off screens and firing. You wanna know why? HE CAN'T BEAT HIS MAN!

Trust me...I kinda know for certain there's a few prestigious individuals in the basketball circle who believe this but just don't want to be too negative or have that type of attention put on them. But hey, he's still rich and a great player.

abovelegit1 wrote:

laugh.gif

The original point of contention was whether or not LeBron had a great first step, and like I said he does relative to his size, and can beat people consistently anyway evidenced by his shooting percentages in isolations situations, while you were saying he does not and cannot. All those videos up there show him scoring against guys anyway; not sure what else your looking for. But if you want to argue he should vary his scoring opportunities in half court settings, then I might agree with that to a certain extent.
My post are like the Bible

You corny.

abovelegit1 wrote:

laugh.gif

The original point of contention was whether or not LeBron had a great first step, and like I said he does relative to his size, and can beat people consistently anyway evidenced by his shooting percentages in isolations situations, while you were saying he does not and cannot. All those videos up there show him scoring against guys anyway; not sure what else your looking for. But if you want to argue he should vary his scoring opportunities in half court settings, then I might agree with that to a certain extent.
My post are like the Bible

You corny.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

The original point of contention was whether or not LeBron had a great first step, and like I said he does relative to his size, and can beat people consistently anyway evidenced by his shooting percentages in isolations situations, while you were saying he does not and cannot. But if you want to argue he should vary his scoring opportunities in half court settings, then I might agree with that to a certain extent.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 So what? That means nothing to me. Shaq probably has a great first step for his size - but his game aint geared around beating his man off the dribble. It would be different if Shaq was out on the perimeter driving against other 7 foot cats...then I'd be like "Yo, Shaq aint gotta first step". Lebron plays like a player who can beat his man off the dribble consistently, and that's what hurts his individual halfcourt game. You truly dissect this dudes halfcourt scoring and I really do believe he's average at best. Dude is driving against a player his height...less weight, and definitely poor lateral quickness in Hedo AND STILL CAN'T CONSISTENTLY BEAT HIM! You shooting blanks brah
laugh.gif
 Time to hang it up.

You corny.
Mad cause cats actually seeing what I'm talking about and things are just unraveling before your eyes
laugh.gif
 I keep it 100% real about all my basketball opinions. I call it like I see it...whether it's Lebron, Kobe, or anyone else. No biased with me.

Back
Top Bottom