Why don't sportcasters keep it real about Lebron?

I agree with you on some of these points....I think Lebron has a powerful first step but not a quick blow by the defender step. The difference is the the powerful first step will draw contact and get you to the line in first 3rd quarters but in late game and playoff situations, you cant depend on the refrees calling fouls all the time. A blow by step gets you open looks at the basket in late game situations.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
This dude really be watching the games. Let us flashback to what I said on PAGE 2 of this thread:

Everyone knows...or should know...that the way you score in the first three quarters can't be depended on when the game is one the line. What seperates great players in this aspect is the ability to get a clean shot off for yourself.

People acting like I'm coming in here trolling and looking to be shown up. I'm trying to put people onto the truth and raise the level of how they view the game of basketball.

Lebron is considered the best player in the world because hes incredibly efficent scorer and hes a terrific passer,defender and rebounder.

Have no problem whatsoever with people who see things like this. It's not my standard and I can't call him the best, but if this is what you or anyone looks at to call him the best player in the world, then no arguments here. But let me state this. Scottie Pippen was an incredibly efficient scorer...a terrific passer, defender, and rebounder. You could actually make a argument and say he was just as good if not better in every area you listed except maybe being a more efficient scorer than Jordan (Even though technically, Michael Jordan has equaled but never shot a better percentage from the field than Pip)...but I could never call Pippen the best player in the world. He had obvious flaws and wasn't a dependable scorer.

The big thing I've been saying for awhile now is he needs to develop a post game. With his size, strength and passing ability, he'd be an absolute nightmare in the post and there is absolutely no reason for him not too.
Agreed. I mentioned this in my first post. The thing is...adding a post game will not make him a better closer...he will just be a more dependable scorer in the halfcourt...which will truly make me assess him differently and actually get him the results he needs as a go-to player. A post game...like Centers have shown...is not a dependable scoring option in the 4th because teams will tighten up and force the player to pass. BUT...like Hakeem proved, you put four guys around him who can play in a system and knock down open shots, you can still prevail as a go-to-guy in this form of scoring. Getting guys around you who can actually make dependable outside shots or like I explained with the Duke "system"...guys catching the ball and using the defender's momentum to gain the first step advantage...and this is just as good as if he is taking the shots himself. They are open for Christ's sake!

But people talk about his flaws like they are gonna forever be this way. Lebron will most likely develop a post game and finally become clutch in the critical situations. And even if he only gets marginally better in his weakness, he has 2 other great players that will probably help him win multiple championships.
Kinda explain this in what I'm saying above.

If the latter part of your comment becomes true, that's enough proof to me to not consider the guy anywhere close to being the best player in his era. If this is true, he's on the same status as a Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, or Dominique Wilkens. All legends in the game...but what are announcers and analyst holding Lebron's standards at? That's my main beef.

Next poster:

I came in here ready to blast this dude, but instead he just reminded me of some things. I shared the same sentiment when they put Noah on Bron in the clutch. Its day and night in the manner in which Bron and Wade get their shots off. The Heat shouldve been relying on Wade in the clutch. He can create his own shot with ease at any time.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 Another cat seriously watching the game. Props.

or he gets a better shot
Yep - see my Melo/KD arguments as a reference to this...he needs to improve his shot to make it automatic/dependable. Can he? Idk. If he makes this effort and improves it like Melo's or Durants, then he will go a loooooooooooong way as being a dependable scorer.

or post game (which I think he will...it would be a waste if he doesnt with his combination of size and quickness).
See what I commented about dude's post above. A post game will not make him a more dependable scorer down the stretch, but he will not be required to do that. Shaq wasn't. Duncan wasn't. Hakeem wasn't. You recognized that the option shots they got for their teammates in the post was actually dependable.

I hope people take this weekend's playoff games to see what I'm talking about and learn about all the different players playing.

Speaking to my friends, who have marginal and rudimentary understanding of the game, I used a Halo analogy. LeBron is a Brute. He is huge, powerful, intimidating but somewhat inelagant. Meanwhile, Kobe is the Arbiter. Kobe is precise, calculating and can kill your team in a split second.

I stand by that analogy. LeBron has pretty no post up game ( the fact that he is 6'8 and 200 something pounds and is unable to take his man into the post and get an easy two points is beyond me), a very uncoordinated mid range game and if he is so as much as bruised, his performance drops off drastically. Meanwhile, Kobe will find a way to score 30 per night with broken fingers, a torn up knee, a bad back, a swollen foot and the strain of  multiple long play off runs on his aged body.

Speaking to my friends, who have marginal and rudimentary understanding of the game, I used a Halo analogy. LeBron is a Brute. He is huge, powerful, intimidating but somewhat inelagant. Meanwhile, Kobe is the Arbiter. Kobe is precise, calculating and can kill your team in a split second.

I stand by that analogy. LeBron has pretty no post up game ( the fact that he is 6'8 and 200 something pounds and is unable to take his man into the post and get an easy two points is beyond me), a very uncoordinated mid range game and if he is so as much as bruised, his performance drops off drastically. Meanwhile, Kobe will find a way to score 30 per night with broken fingers, a torn up knee, a bad back, a swollen foot and the strain of  multiple long play off runs on his aged body.

"Icame in here ready to blast this dude, but instead he just reminded me of some things. I shared the same sentiment when they put Noah on Bron in the clutch."

Yes I know what you mean. One time I saw Ray Allen miss a three-pointer, so based on a cherry-picked example I concluded that he's not a good shooter.

laugh.gif
Some of you dudes around here are a joke.

"Icame in here ready to blast this dude, but instead he just reminded me of some things. I shared the same sentiment when they put Noah on Bron in the clutch."

Yes I know what you mean. One time I saw Ray Allen miss a three-pointer, so based on a cherry-picked example I concluded that he's not a good shooter.

laugh.gif
Some of you dudes around here are a joke.

This thread is idiotic... of course Lebron isn't gonna have a blow-by first step, he's 6'8" 250. He's not going to look like Chris Paul out there. Lebron is a ridiculous passer, very good end-to-end speed, and is a very good scorer as well. The Kobe Lebron comparison is a waste of time, they play the game completely differently, so just appreciate each for what they do

This thread is idiotic... of course Lebron isn't gonna have a blow-by first step, he's 6'8" 250. He's not going to look like Chris Paul out there. Lebron is a ridiculous passer, very good end-to-end speed, and is a very good scorer as well. The Kobe Lebron comparison is a waste of time, they play the game completely differently, so just appreciate each for what they do

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

also anybody who believes that constantly overweight Carmelo Anthony has a quicker first step than ANYBODY is out of there minds.

Is it 2006 again? Melo has been over the "weight issues" for years. His fat face is what it is.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

also anybody who believes that constantly overweight Carmelo Anthony has a quicker first step than ANYBODY is out of there minds.

Is it 2006 again? Melo has been over the "weight issues" for years. His fat face is what it is.

LeBron can blow by guys. He doesnt need to rely on it as much as a Drose.

Bron is too fast for guys matching his size, and too strong for guys matching his speed. No one can hold bron.
He obviously isnt getting by guys with his handles.

LeBron can blow by guys. He doesnt need to rely on it as much as a Drose.

Bron is too fast for guys matching his size, and too strong for guys matching his speed. No one can hold bron.
He obviously isnt getting by guys with his handles.

OP, you're absolutely correct.
This is how I explained it countless times to my friends ever since Lebron entered the league.

Any sport is a combination of skill and athleticism. Some sports demand more of one than the other. Basketball is a game where athleticism (size, strength, speed) matters a lot more than skill. The greats have a combination of both. The above average (all-stars) usually only have one and are average at the other. Take all teh all stars from the previous decade and see how many are athletically dominant and how many are skill dominant. 

Lebron only has one; his athleticism. That's not taking anything away from him but it is what it is. Take away 2 inches and 30 pounds from Lebron. Would he still be anywhere close to the Lebron that he is now?
Now take away 2 inches and 20-30 pounds from Jordan or Kobe, would they not be the same players essentially? Of course they'd lose some of their edge but their marginal rate would be decreasing far slower than Lebron's when you ratchet down the athleticism factor.

Skill wise Lebron is very average as compared to the stats that he puts up.
This is probably attributable to the fact that the game came too easy for him growing up. He could beat up on opponents solely because of his athleticism and didn't need to materially increase his skill set. It just goes to show how much of an athletic beast he is that he can dominate in the NBA as well. Very similar to Wilt Chamberlain in this regard. 

This is how I explained it countless times to my friends ever since Lebron entered the league.

Any sport is a combination of skill and athleticism. Some sports demand more of one than the other. Basketball is a game where athleticism (size, strength, speed) matters a lot more than skill. The greats have a combination of both. The above average (all-stars) usually only have one and are average at the other. Take all teh all stars from the previous decade and see how many are athletically dominant and how many are skill dominant. 

Lebron only has one; his athleticism. That's not taking anything away from him but it is what it is. Take away 2 inches and 30 pounds from Lebron. Would he still be anywhere close to the Lebron that he is now?
Now take away 2 inches and 20-30 pounds from Jordan or Kobe, would they not be the same players essentially? Of course they'd lose some of their edge but their marginal rate would be decreasing far slower than Lebron's when you ratchet down the athleticism factor.

This is probably attributable to the fact that the game came too easy for him growing up. He could beat up on opponents solely because of his athleticism and didn't need to materially increase his skill set. It just goes to show how much of an athletic beast he is that he can dominate in the NBA as well. Very similar to Wilt Chamberlain in this regard. 

OP is right on pretty much everything. I too am a Lebron fan, but it is obvious that there are glaring holes in his game. Lack of first step, mediocre mid range game, hardly any post presence, and he's not as assertive in getting to the rim as he was in previous years. All of this leads to settling for fade-away threes, circus shots, and a decision to drive every now and again. Yes, he does get his 30 a night, but so did tmac (when he was everyone's favorite player)....but the difference between tmac and kobe was always how they got their points. Kobe never had to settle, he could kill you any way he wanted. tmac on the other hand....

the problem with people is, they either don't play enough basketball to understand it or rely on stats as a sole indicator of skill. Scoring a lot is great, but scoring how ever you want is even better. MJ's offensive game at 40 is better than Lebron's currently, and it will always be that way unless he addresses those weaknesses in his game. Carmelo does have a great first step, perhaps the best in the league.

kobe, derrick rose, carmelo, durant, wade....they all have better offensive games than lebron. it's really lebron's passing ability which sets him apart from other players.

OP is right on pretty much everything. I too am a Lebron fan, but it is obvious that there are glaring holes in his game. Lack of first step, mediocre mid range game, hardly any post presence, and he's not as assertive in getting to the rim as he was in previous years. All of this leads to settling for fade-away threes, circus shots, and a decision to drive every now and again. Yes, he does get his 30 a night, but so did tmac (when he was everyone's favorite player)....but the difference between tmac and kobe was always how they got their points. Kobe never had to settle, he could kill you any way he wanted. tmac on the other hand....

the problem with people is, they either don't play enough basketball to understand it or rely on stats as a sole indicator of skill. Scoring a lot is great, but scoring how ever you want is even better. MJ's offensive game at 40 is better than Lebron's currently, and it will always be that way unless he addresses those weaknesses in his game. Carmelo does have a great first step, perhaps the best in the league.

kobe, derrick rose, carmelo, durant, wade....they all have better offensive games than lebron. it's really lebron's passing ability which sets him apart from other players.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

You act like Lebron can;t shoot a jump-shot...

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

You act like Lebron can;t shoot a jump-shot...

Back
Top Bottom