Yooo, Kanye on Sway in the Morning. (updated)

Now he's responsible for construction timbs?!?!

Oh man, SHUT UP AND READ.

I'm from NY, NY made Constructs into a timeless fashion trend, it's been this way for years.....that's for NY dudes....I said I'm sure he had dudes outside of NY now checking for them more....I never said he started the constructions trend....geez

Pretty much...some folks just gonna write him off a "crazy" or narcissist but I've always thought dude is a genius. He wants people to listen to him tho so he needs a better delivery. I hear him tho

This. Because its off the dome and they're asking him the same questions he just answered, of course it's coming off as a rant or directionless. But I see where he's coming from, I get it. People be so quick to down Ye though.

Add the all white flyknits, a couple of Newbalances, he'll the white cement IVs before they retroed...you can't tell me dudes outside of New York didn't start eyeing Constructs more and more after they saw Ye in them...lol

THIS, NY is excluded from a lot of this nonsense as NYers generally are on things FAAAAAAAR before you other cats.

Living in AZ coming from NY NOBODY was on a lot of **** I rocked with until Ye put 'em on.

Won't say that he made J's more mainstream but he def did make the infrared VIs and the cement IVs more iconic.

Last edited:
Still have yet to listen to the whole sway interview, all I can say that you're smoking rocks if you think kanye is singlehandedly responsible for making Jordan's hip or whatever. If anything he is a product of that generation

Last edited:
Man I hope this guys career comes to an end soon..Can't stand millionaires with nothing better to do than complain about how life ain't fair and their life is such a struggle..

Oh man, SHUT UP AND READ.

I'm from NY, NY made Constructs into a timeless fashion trend, it's been this way for years.....that's for NY dudes....I said I'm sure he had dudes outside of NY now checking for them more....I never said he started the constructions trend....geez

READ homie, I never said he started it. Those timb never left, I know the history.

Just heard the Sway interview, all of Ye's message aside, it wasn't that serious to start yelling at Sway like that. Dude came outta nowhere on some bipolar ****, Sway was asking the same thing that every interviewer has been asking him since he started doing interviews again, Ye did that for no reason, you could tell Sway was holding back.

Anybody got video?

Man I hope this guys career comes to an end soon..Can't stand millionaires with nothing better to do than complain about how life ain't fair and their life is such a struggle..

Is he saying that? I'm hearing that he wants fair due for the buzz he generates and revenue he produces for companies. He's a tastemaker, a successful one at that. A lot of NTers disagree with this statement but it's whatever.

He's not frontin' when he's saying he's being marginalized. He's not frontin' when he's saying he's worth more than what Nike is letting him do.

He's not an athlete so they limit the amount of shoes he can put out? He doesn't get royalties because he's not an athlete? So they limit the volume of shoes he can put out and then argue that since he's not an athlete he wouldn't sell like one?

Type of **** is that? Nike enjoys all the marketing, brand promotion, and everything that Kanye brought to them as a endorsee but he gets a fraction of the pie because he's not an athlete?

I'm not no Kanye stan I'm just saying from a business stand point he's 100 percent correct. A lot of you obviously didn't take the time to hear the man out before throwing shade at fam.

How you finna turn up even more when only a select few coppin ya **** cause you're a weirdo and your fan base is dwindling?

READ homie, I never said he started it. Those timb never left, I know the history.

So what exactly were you implying when you said

"So Ye is now responsible for Timbs!!!?"

I'll wait for an explanation that doesn't suggest you were implying I said anything close to that.

New York, Indeed gets hip to stuff early but, having the misfortune of being from Florida (Niketalk/, Eastbay, Internet saved me) thank god, I knew about Visvim, Raf Simons, Margiela, Neighborhood, Supreme, obscure musicians, etc etc etc) due in part to the internet, magazines, and personal research. Florida is LATE on EVERYTHING, Except the weather, strippers, and sports. Fortunately, moms threw me into art classes and a performing arts school, where I met diversified people.

Kanye helped me out too, though. Along with just being cultured differently, as a person. I'm a typical, country bumpkin, but, I don't act as such. I like how he's bridged the gape between art-fashion-music. But again, he has thrived in this recent internet age and, I haven't minded it one bit. People born and bred in Florida did not know about the sneaker culture, till about 2007/2008. The first time foams were sold here were 2010. I remember going to footlocker in early 2007, when the first royal foam ones retroed, w/a picture of the shoe, and the Footlocker associate didn't know what the hell I was talking about, lol. (Ended up getting them off ebay for $234). Even seeing them in eastbay, in 1997. They didn't come in my size at that point though.

But, their have been tons of influential people who get misunderstood, until their gone.

Last edited:
i remember when i met Kanye, Christina Millian, and Nick Cannon at Dave & Buster's (Orange, CA) circa 2002. Kanye was mad cool, and nobody but hip hop heads knew about him. However, at the time, Kanye was very relevant in NT's hip hop threads. In fact, i vividly remember an NT'er having a avatar that had Ye with White on White AF1s, so when I saw Kanye at Dave & Buster's, I asked him what he knew about Nike's. He said, "not much." (LOL) Fast Forward to today's interview with Sway - I couldn't help but crack up when I heard him say he was the reason for Jordan Retros being so successful.

anyway, the "celebrity" that I'd credit for influencing me to get retro J's is Kobe. I was in awe when Kobe started wearing J's, especially the Laker Cement III PE's.

View media item 670125
I was really into Dunk SB's at the time, but damn... Kobe just re-ignited the love for J's I had when I was a youngin growin up, and my mom couldn't afford to get me them J's. :smokin

Last edited:
How you finna turn up even more when only a select few coppin ya **** cause you're a weirdo and your fan base is dwindling?

How is he a "weirdo"? Come on, b. y'all gotta chill with the labels just because you don't understand or rock with someone else's movement.

So what exactly were you implying when you said

"So Ye is now responsible for Timbs!!!?"

I'll wait for an explanation that doesn't suggest you were implying I said anything close to that.

Because dudes are giving him credit making shoes 'look' good or whatever. Construction timbs are a stable, and no emo-rapper/wannabe fashion designer is making people 'want' them more or making them 'hot'. Same thing with the VII's give me a break man, homeboy has a few a rabid fans that worship him for some reason and try to copy him and say he's a 'fashion icon'.

I don't know you personally but you seem to be a fan and follow him regularly based on your comments, but to say dudes outside New York are now checking for construction timb because of him is just false.

In the mid 90's Philly, North Carolina, parts of the west coast and even in Florida dude were rocking those timbs, and I don't think you're much younger than me (33).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll personally speak on retro J's in Minneapolis. Minnesota... Minnesota... Minneapolis is not some urban fashion Mecca and Retro J's were selling out the same day they released back in '99-'00, and mind you this is when they dropped Retro J's on school days. If you didn't skip school to cop, you were basically SOL.

The hype for J's was built by '03. College Dropout dropped in '04. Kanye has gained some influence on "urban culture fashion" but nowhere near the amount he thinks he has.

^Right. Timbs were the go to boots for everyone in like 97 in Mpls too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom