Yooo, Kanye on Sway in the Morning. (updated)

Everyone is speaking from personal experience in their regions.

Yall are arguing opinion and unmeasurable points right now..

I listened to the Breakfast Club interview first, so I misinterpreted what he was trying to say in the Adidas x Ye thread . . . but after hearing this, my understanding is that he said that Nike saw some of the value in retroing Jordans after they saw Ye and Don C cop/wear vintage pairs (but I don't know how true that is, because there have been retros since the mid 90s . . . unless there was a gap and a period where there were no retros that I am not aware of)

Either way, what are yall ****** talking about

Because dudes are giving him credit making shoes 'look' good or whatever. Construction timbs are a stable, and no emo-rapper/wannabe fashion designer is making people 'want' them more or making them 'hot'. Same thing with the VII's give me a break man, homeboy has a few a rabid fans that worship him for some reason and try to copy him and say he's a 'fashion icon'.

I don't know you personally but you seem to be a fan and follow him regularly based on your comments, but to say dudes outside New York are now checking for construction timb because of him is just false.

In the mid 90's Philly, North Carolina, parts of the west coast and even in Florida dude were rocking those timbs, and I don't think you're much younger than me (33).
i dont think anyone was giving 100% credit for making timbs popular. they were wildly popular in the 90s as you stated. BUT then they fizzled the hell out, & ye made them popular again. Nobody is claiming that he is the epitome of urban fashion. i personally cant even rock with alot of his fashion choices, including the shades we discussed earlier. But that doesnt change the fact that he has had an impact on urban fashion. good or bad it cannot be denied.

also, i just heard his claims about jordans and yes they were ridiculous.
laugh.gif

Dude is a clown and a side show. 

Talks ill on Benz, and where slaves to Nike yet the N is always name dropping these companies in his rhymes.
eyes.gif

Kanye I thought you where realist at one time.  Now you've just shown us that your just another ignorant N with money.   

I listened to the Breakfast Club interview first, so I misinterpreted what he was trying to say in the Adidas x Ye thread . . . but after hearing this, my understanding is that he said that Nike saw some of the value in retroing Jordans after they saw Ye and Don C cop/wear vintage pairs (but I don't know how true that is, because there have been retros since the mid 90s . . . unless there was a gap and a period where there were no retros that I am not aware of)​

Either way, what are yall ****** talking about​

I don't even know what's going on. I'm smacked reading along just commenting when I feel like it :lol:

This fool said he made Jordan's hot?

:rofl:

Sway say we can turn these mics off. :lol:

His rants are like Quentin Tarentino movies...

But it sounds like he's scared to fail...

Last edited:
Lets nip this in the bud.  Ye didn't make anything popular that already wasn't popular.  I had a pair of construction timbs every winter that I lived in the A(1996-2001 pre Kanye).  I had OG and retro J's from 1990-2001 pre Kanye.  Dude is delusional and gives himself way to much credit. 

I remember when the1's, 4's, 5's, and 6's drop in high school before anyone knew who ye was.  There where so many J's walking the hallways you would've thought you where at sneaker con.

Will Em ever go back to being like he was for the Marshall Mathers LP?

Hov ever go back to being like he was on on Volume 2?

Nas ever gon' be as real as he was on Illmatic or even Stillmatic?

Nah man, times have changed. These artists have all sold out. The hunger is gone, the glimmer is gone. All we can really do is just remember the glory days and embrace and recognize when the next great rapper arrives, before he loses himself.
And for that you treated these guys as a fad and they ain't. Nas still one of the best rappers, Em still one of the best, Kanye is one of the best biggest artist in the world. They clearly still have a "glimmer" about them.

Lets nip this in the bud.  Ye didn't make anything popular that already wasn't popular.  I had a pair of construction timbs every winter that I lived in the A(1996-2001 pre Kanye).  I had OG and retro J's from 1990-2001 pre Kanye.  Dude is delusional and gives himself way to much credit. 

I remember when the1's, 4's, 5's, and 6's drop in high school before anyone knew who ye was.  There where so many J's walking the hallways you would've thought you where at sneaker con.
my dude, you may not be a kanye west fan, but do you honestly believe this? Thats outright ridiculous. You're implying he didnt set any trends. I wouldnt even know where to begin explaining to you how wrong you are.

my dude, you may not be a kanye west fan, but do you honestly believe this? Thats outright ridiculous. You're implying he didnt set any trends. I wouldnt even know where to begin explaining to you how wrong you are.
Dude reintroduces and introduces trends. And name another POP STAR THAT GOT THAT CONTROL RIGHT NOW

Do you think he helped expand the popularity of some pieces? I'm inclined to say so.

I've seen Tims popping back up locally after noticing Kanye and a few others wearing them. Not to say he "made them hot" or anything. Just had not been seeing them heavy for a while.

Everyone should have a black pair regardless :smokin

New York, Indeed gets hip to stuff early but, having the misfortune of being from Florida (Niketalk/, Eastbay, Internet saved me) thank god, I knew about Visvim, Raf Simons, Margiela, Neighborhood, Supreme, obscure musicians, etc etc etc) due in part to the internet, magazines, and personal research. Florida is LATE on EVERYTHING, Except the weather, strippers, and sports. Fortunately, moms threw me into art classes and a performing arts school, where I met diversified people.

Kanye helped me out too, though. Along with just being cultured differently, as a person. I'm a typical, country bumpkin, but, I don't act as such. I like how he's bridged the gape between art-fashion-music. But again, he has thrived in this recent internet age and, I haven't minded it one bit. People born and bred in Florida did not know about the sneaker culture, till about 2007/2008. The first time foams were sold here were 2010. I remember going to footlocker in early 2007, when the first royal foam ones retroed, w/a picture of the shoe, and the Footlocker associate didn't know what the hell I was talking about, lol. (Ended up getting them off ebay for $234). Even seeing them in eastbay, in 1997. They didn't come in my size at that point though.

But, their have been tons of influential people who get misunderstood, until their gone.
You can say that any city is late on anything though. Florida was late on Things(but not everything) Not Miami anyways, idk about the upper parts.Maybe it was the footlocker you went to didn't sell the foams but before 2010 foams were selling in FL but if Florida is late on everything, the whole United States is late on "fashion" compared to other countries like Europe

"When I thought about taking Nicki's verse off of Monster cause I knew people would say that was the best verse on the best album of all time or at least arguably a top ten album of all time"

WHOA, son definitely lost his mind. I removed the verse after the second play.

I've been wearing jays all my life. Jays and Nike basketball shoes been hot in every hood my whole life.

It's almost like people around him treat him like a god so he feels that it's true.

I'll always enjoy his production and certain albums of his but he's mentally gone. Some great things were said but there was more stupidity than anything going on with all these interviews.

Last edited:
"When I thought about taking Nicki's verse off of Monster cause I knew people would say that was the best verse on the best album of all time or at least arguably a top ten album of all time"

WHOA, son definitely lost his mind. I removed the verse after the second play.

I've been wearing jays all my life. Jays and Nike basketball shoes been hot in every hood my whole life.
lol real life. son got all of my cringe when he said that about nicki minaj.

He compared Will Smith's character to the Pursuit of Happiness....him starving and trying to find a job while getting doors shut in his face. Kanye not being allowed in the high fashion world is the same to him :lol:

Also saying pretty much every musician in the world makes good music and is on GOOD Music :rofl:

Last edited:

Dude reintroduces and introduces trends. And name another POP STAR THAT GOT THAT CONTROL RIGHT NOW

Not a fan?  I love his production.  Dude is a lunatic, a lame, and a fake tho.  Every time I see or hear about something he produced I'm gassed to hear it.  But when he's on the mic I think a lot of his flows, and some of the stuff he talks about is trash. 

But I don't really know how old you cats are, because the pre-Kanye era seems a bit vague to you guys.  But Everything he's taking credit for where timeless in there own right, and had already been consistently trendy 10 to 15 years straight before he even came around.  These things never really fell off, or went out of style amongst me and my peers.   

Sway: You started off with rap, we know you from rap!

Kanye: That's not true, I started from my mom.

Sway: I'm not talking about that. I didn't know you then.

Sway: You're a different man than when I met you. You're now a father too.

Kanye: I've been the same since I was zero.

Back
Top Bottom