∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

I'm for female detectives but only good actresses. Ellen Page? I like Wiig but I don't know if I could take her seriously in a role.

Kate Mara is cool and believable.

All them chicks named are frail as hell though.
Nah. Give me Edie Falco or Charlize Theron or someone like that. Ellen Page is way too young to be believable. 

I'm for female detectives but only good actresses. Ellen Page? I like Wiig but I don't know if I could take her seriously in a role.

Nah. Give me Edie Falco or Charlize Theron or someone like that. Ellen Page is way too young to be believable. 
Yeah I put the ? cuz I couldn't believe she was seriously being suggested. This Is True Detective not some tween tv series.

If Nic Pizz makes a mistake and chooses a weak actress like that I hope they won't come with the sexist defense when ppl say the show sucks and fell off.

Last edited:
Man I cringed when I saw those actresses' names being referenced for season 2.
laugh.gif

Yeah I put the ? cuz I couldn't believe she was seriously being suggested. This Is True Detective not some tween tv series.

If Nic Pizz makes a mistake and chooses a weak actress like that I hope they won't come with the sexist defense when ppl say the show sucks and fell off.
My fault. That's what I get for jumping in late. Yeah Ellen Page would not be good choice. 

Heath Ledger cast as Joker.

I have faith in this series and whoever they choose.

Last edited:
Yea Rooney would be a dope detective.

Give me Rooney/Chastain, that's it man.

Last edited:
RDJ as Ironman

Daniel Craig as Bond

Mccaughney in Time to Kill

Keanu Reeves as Neo

These are off the top of the dome. Relax friends, let the casting director do his thing, yeah, they don't always get it right, but sometimes someone you don't think can fit the role fits the role just fine.

Only questionable one you listed was Reeves as Neo and he delivered exactly what everybody expected a pretty bland character. Not that ppl were in uproar or even questioned Reeves as Neo in a sic fi movie.

The other two roles at least have some history and judging MM before A Time To Kill is just based on the subject matter of the movie. Not that he couldn't be a leading man in a movie.

Who is the casting director anyway and why should that person be trusted?

Last edited:
Ok...well point is Heath Ledger wasn't the first, nor will he be the last, person that people question as a casting choice, he's not some "exception to the rule" he's falls squarely in the rule, acting ability should be judged after the film, not before; as such, if someone has proven themselves once as a casting director, I'm trusting him for the second time. Shooting down choices before they are even made, not my bag...but hey thats ya'll thing.

As far as old dude, he did a pretty good job with the first season, so there is no reason to question him in my book.

I'm just hyped about the new season and will give whoever they choose a fresh chance.

Have you ever seen Hard Candy?

And this was ten years ago, pre-Juno before she'd even got this acting thing down pat. Ellen is a good actress. I trust them if that's where they go.

Last edited:
I just think it'd be kinda hard to take a 5 foot tall detective that looks like she's in high school, seriously.

Chastain on the other hand? Cast her as anyone. Cast her as everyone.
Get 5 different wigs and some spray tan, and you got a cast Orphan Black style.

I liked Hard Candy a lot. The fact she looked so young played well into the craziness of that movie. I'm an Ellen Paige fan, I even liked Juno. She can def play bat **** crazy.

Whoever they get will never be better than Woody x Mathew, no matter if their better or not. Just another thing for 'fanboys' to gripe about.

I'm hyped for whoever, so long as the writer/director comes back, actors are incidental to me. I'm sure a bunch of actors could have turned in great performances with that material.

Honestly, I'm on my Seinfeld steez, actors are way overplayed to the general public, they don't create the characters, hell they don't really bring them to life, that's all writer/director, actors give you a visual face.

Of course there are good and bad actors, but the difference between those who fall in the 'good' category is the material they're given. , But they are far more interchangeable than than hype would have you believe. , I mean look at how many actors that would have been great for a role, turned it down only to have the person who did take the role give a stellar performance.

Point is, anyone is going to do well with great material.

I've been working on that thought for a little bit and True Detective is a good example to test my hypothesis, as the actors were phenomenal but so was the material, so if the level of material stays the same and the actors are changed out then it would help prove my point...but the show may go to **** next season, so we'll see.

Just finished Season 1.

Tremendous.

The ending had so many rabbit holes. They spared Rust and Marty, that's decent.
They could have killed one, that would have been understandable.
They could have all 3 died, and been made to look as co-conspirators.
But I couldn't help but wonder, if scars would have finished them both off, and simply disappeared them only to have the two new detectives part of the cover up and Rust and Marty merely become two more victims, how haunting would that have been? :x

The vision Rust saw in the sky, could that not have been the symbol carved into victims? :nerd:
The black circular lines, kinda storm cloudy lookin????

I'll be re-watchin this series again very soon, and def look forward to Season 2.

Have you ever seen Hard Candy?

And this was ten years ago, pre-Juno before she'd even got this acting thing down pat. Ellen is a good actress. I trust them if that's where they go.
I saw Hard Candy. I've actually seen a few other flicks she's been in as well. Im familiar with her work. She's okay to me. She's never really impressed me. She seems to bring her style of acting to every role she does imo and that keeps from her having a wide range.

If the same tone from last season is going to be kept in the next season of TD I don't see how Ellen Page would fit. So seeing her name just kinda had me like huh what? Of all the actresses her? But w/e right now these are just rumors and suggestions.

So far almost all of the chick suggested for this show just seem off to me.

what if she's a first year detective? or just playing another role? what if the show takes a different direction and tone in general? i think people unbendingly want another hard boiled tough guy detective drama.

let's chill and let Nic and the producers do what they do.

Last edited:
Ok...well point is Heath Ledger wasn't the first, nor will he be the last, person that people question as a casting choice, he's not some "exception to the rule" he's falls squarely in the rule, acting ability should be judged after the film, not before; as such, if someone has proven themselves once as a casting director, I'm trusting him for the second time. Shooting down choices before they are even made, not my bag...but hey thats ya'll thing.

As far as old dude, he did a pretty good job with the first season, so there is no reason to question him in my book.

I'm just hyped about the new season and will give whoever they choose a fresh chance.
I don't need to bring up the exception as the rule stuff. I'm saying ppl can't keep trotting out that example like it's a reasonable defense to be open to ANY suggestion when it comes to actors for certain roles or projects.

If we're getting to that point we might as well give personal invitations to trolls. Probably start a campaign for PeeWee Herman and the kid who played Smart Guy to be the next detective pair and if anybody says no I can just say "Heath Ledger in TDK"

This is not shooting down choices. This is shooting down suggestions based off the history of who was suggested. You can keep running with that's something yall do trying to knock it like you don't do it and that's fine. Just don't include yourself in that conversation, no need to keep complaining about it.

Again who is the casting director and why should this person be trusted? Are you basing your trust off of Woody and MM? If so you should read up on it. MM was originally only offered Marty's role and he then had to lobby and fight for the role to play Rust Cohle. He didn't just get cast as Rust and things flowed without hitch. Regardless unless you're gonna list this person's history of casting I'm not about to just not question it off of one season. I mean casting Woody who is usuall solid if not stellar when he steps his game up and MM doesn't take special insight. Regardless not like the rumors and suggestions online have anything to do with that and it's just stuff for us to talk about in the mean time until real announcements are made. You don't have to join in.
what if she's a first year detective? or just playing another role? what if the show takes a different direction and tone in general? i think people unbendingly want another hard boiled tough guy detective drama.

let's chill and let Nic and the producers do what they do.
Well like I said if they're keeping the same tone from last season I don't see how she fits. I don't think she's that good. The initial rumor was about her being one of the detectives so aint no reason for me to change my opinion and post about if she played another role or if she was a first year detective. Same for if the show isn't the same direction and tone as last season, obviously. I mean I'm only commenting based on what I know of the last season. For all I know next season could be a damn comedy and it could be hilarious.

I can't really comment on what other ppl want so miss me with that hard boiled tough guy detective drama repeat stuff, that's those other guys who midway through have already decided nothing will be better than the Woody & MM season. I have varied tastes, eclectic tastes. I would want the show to maintain the same level of quality it reached and maintained from last season. I'm not seeing it with the likes of Ellen Page or Kristen Wiig. If they are cast it'd be up to them to prove me wrong. Nothing bad about having an opinion, especially if it's an informed one when it comes to that actor's talent and skill.

Again she was just a rumored candidate/a person ppl are apparently lobbying for same with the others brought up, nothing more to it. So like I said to other dude if you don't want to discuss that's cool you don't have to. When this show was intiially announced I was hyped for it specifically cuz of MM and Woody. I knew nothing else about it. So before seeing anything I would've still posted about how I look forward to it. If they had disappointed well it would've sucked and I would've moved on. That's how it is with every announced tv show and movie and most ppl checking stuff out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom