ADVICE: 38 YEARS OLD W/ J 'S........

keep them. i plan on keeping mine. stuff like that will make you the coolest dad. if your knowledge is still up when you're that old, that is right cool.

Originally Posted by KB8virginia

I have roughly 50 pairs of sneakers mostly Jordans,
50 pairs
eek.gif
yeah I would say you have more than enough tochoose from to give up and still keep some grails, and still have a decent collection

I'd say its time to let it go. Prioritize you responsibilities. You can still but a pair of heat seldomly to wear but the collecting and 50 pairs deep youshould let go. Sell the collection and open a CD with it when the Stock Market picks back up withdraw the money from the CD and put it in a COLLEGE fund foryour KID.......I know everyone says its hard to stop but there is a time in life when you got to do what you got to do bru. I migrated here 9 years ago myselfand I started buying J's becuase where am from I wasnt able to afford them. But now am here, I finished graduate school and got a good JOB so I startedbuying the ones I always wanted. I recently met a lady am serious about so the game is irrelevant to me now, Once am marry and have KIDS I would move on.

keep your shoes...

I'll be turning 32 next month and have 200+ pairs, but my priorities have always been straight, my family, my home, my career, and my finances overall...

like most have already said, just be responsible on how you spend your money, and if anything, be more selective with your purchases...

there's no reason to give up your hobby if you really love it...

i would do this if i was you. make a list of which ones you were and how often. ones you don't wear just sell them unless they hold something special toyou. i know it's hard to downsize your collection, but sometimes you need to make choices. if someone else can enjoy your shoes that you don't wear,why not sell them? besides, most of your older jordans will end up crumbling if you don't wear them.

I can definitely relate. I'm 33, have a wife, a three year old and a house. I have probably 70 or so pair of shoes. I've thought several times aboutselling off my whole collection, but have not done it. I've sold a few pair here and there -- but they were all pair that I did not love and realized Iwould never wear. My wife hates my shoe collecting, not so much because of the money, but because of storage issues. My closet (which is small) is prettymuch wall to wall shoes and looks ridiculous. Although I definitely wonder often what is the point of my hoarding a bunch of shoes, the bottom line is thathaving them makes me happy. So, I'm going to keep all the shoes I currently have for now, but I've definitely slowed significantly on my rate ofpurchases. I guess you could say I'm not actively "collecting" anymore. I'm just buying shoes that I know I'm actually going to wearregularly.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

You shouldnt sell your collection right now because this is a bad time to do its a buyers market you'll get crushed in the relative value you'll getfor your shoes. I dont know what you have in your collection but unless you have a great ebay account. You might be luckily to get 2800-3000 for all 50 shoes.Thats not good considering you probably spend over 5000 on them.

I'm 24 with about 65 pairs after selling about 30 pairs. My girl is 22 who actually liked sneakers before me but became a collector now with about 30 pairs(nike/ jordans) and over 50 pairs of shoes (heels,boots etc). We both have apartments but she stays with me most of the time so eventually we'll buy ahouse. I kept the kicks which I wanted and wear..some DS. You need to weed out your collection what you want and can part with basically. That's what Idid. i don't picture myself exceeding 100 pairs so when the bills come in, I might have to part with some again.

I'm about to be 33 and I've slowed down dramatically, unfortunately '09 looks promising. I don't know if I'd ever completely stop, I justlove J's too much, or should I say "RETRO'S" too much ( 21-23's included) but I tell you what they keep up this Fusion BS and"modification's" to retro's, I must just do the same. Best of luck though!

Originally Posted by kapepper

i am also 31
but i am trying to be selective and have sold a lot of them, keeping now an essentials collection

im 30 myself, i agree with him, be selective and keep what you want. i have done the same thing. i've sold off a lot of them, i was about 80 deep but nowat arouund 45 to 50, and still going to go through my collection and see what i really dont need and let it go. by the way im just like you, married and i havea 8 month old baby too. i thought about hanging it up but couldnt and now i just buy what i want and dont get caught up in the hype.

I'm 28 married and have a 2 year old boy, I got over 100 pair of kicks most of them DS (mostly jordans) I've slowed down buying kicks a bit andI'll sell some of the ones that I'll prob. will never wear because I'm in process of saving money to buy a house later this year, so I'll def.be selective, I'll stop buying if I need the money for something else and you can always make it up by asking your wife, family & friends to get youwhatever pair of sneakers that you want for like x-mas, birthday, anniversary, etc.

just think of it like this.
You already have all the shoes there u paid for them already, dont sell them just cut back on costs and try not to buy everything new that comes out. Money isnot the issue. It comes and goes and is ment to be spent. Passion over money anyday. You have to do what you think is better for you.

i am so glad to see this many people over 30 on here! was beginning to think it was just a few of us, haha.

37...... I was the same way a few years ago. It was so much hype around sneakers and junk coming out that it turned me off. I sold all my sneaks but once acollector always a collector. You will be cool for a while but your passion will take over again. Especially if you sell everything... you will come back whenyou see someone in a pair you like. Then it brings the fun back into it trying to hunt down the ones you want. If sneakers is a passion you will never stopjust slow down.

Originally Posted by vood99

Originally Posted by KB8virginia

I'm 38 years old with a loving wife and a 8 month old daughter. I have roughly 50 pairs of sneakers mostly Jordans, have Kobe's, Barkley's, Penny's you name it. I've been with the sneaker collection business for about 5 years now since I migrated to the States. Of all those 50 pairs, seldom do I use them, they're all kept in the box overcrowding my closet, and 2 other closets. This past several weeks, I've been considering/thinking about retiring from this but sometimes I just could not resist!!!! Considering my age and the current crisis, DO YOU THINK IT'S WISE TO HANG IT UP, SELL MOST OF THESE 50 PAIRS AND GET ON WITH LIFE?? But on the other hand, I might regret in the end for getting rid of my J's.... what do you guys think?? I could earn some money from this and just stop buying sneakers!! DO YOU THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS STUFF? HELP ME GUYS THINK....I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!!
Hold on to the bulk of what you have and subtract a few that might not fit you well, etc.. Going foward just hold off on purchasing any new sneakers - "JUST REMIND YOURSELF OF THE UNWORN PAIRS AT HOME!!!"

You are going to always like jays, even after you decide to sell your j's (if you do). Every time you go to the mall, or anywhere they sell shoes, your aregoing to have your eyes out for j's, maybe still buy some once in a while.

WOW! I'm just surprised like everyone else that at 46 upto 58 years old and still collecting jays. As I was reading all of your suggestions andexperiences, I can see half telling me to continue and half telling me to stop and be practical. I appreciate all your advice and KEEP IT COMING!!! I thoughtthis website were mostly teens, I'm happy to see my age groups!!!

WHo cares how old you are? If you like collecting why stop? I would imagine you worked hard to get your collection so why throw it away? And for all thesepeople saying being old wearing jordans isnt a good look...... Im 26 right now and imagine myself wearing jordans 20 years down the line. It gets into theconversation about not caring what people think about you, I damn sure dont. But man i say keep the shoes if your finances are right and you can afford to, butif not, do what you gotta do, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom