Better in their PRIME? DMX, JAY-Z or NAS?

define "prime".. define Nas's "prime"

he made some pretty bad albums in between some great ones (ie. Illmatic & IWW/I Am & Nastra then Stillmatic)

is his prime Illmatic & It Was Written? because in my opinion hes too inconsistent after those two to have a prime

i feel that Jay's "prime" is Blueprint, Blueprint 2, TBA, or RD, Vol.1, Vol. 2.. because of the consecutive quality material

The man who:

Rappers I monkey flip 'em with the funky rhythm I be kickin

At their Prime:

Nas>>Jay-Z>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMX

DMX doesn't even belong in this discussion with Jay and Nas. I like Nas' street poetry style, then he switched it up to Nas Escobar in 96' and97', so I'll take Nas FTW. Plus he had the hottest album I'd ever heard when he came out. Illmatic baby!
pimp.gif
Jay-Z was also doin it big, differentstyle, but definitely up there..still is actually.

wow this is a toss up.....i mean jay on reasonable was classic and to me nas on it was written was classic...both had songs that made me want torap...damn...imma go with jay only becuase of this line.....dreams of getting cream lets do this against TDS so i keep one eye open like CBS....that buggedme... so Jay-z

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Originally Posted by RudyGay22UcoNN

but in his prime DMX had a way bigger following than any of the other 2.

You really think so?

HEEELLLZ yeah.....DMX was def jam for a LONG time.

jay-z can wish he sold as many as DMX in they prime...and nas was just second tier and declinin in till da jay-z beef re-juvenated him.

Jay-z. Reason being is cause nas and jay both had classic albums yes, both went head-head in a battle. But, still jay sold more records than nas could ever inhis carrer. That's the only difference, I think the majority of cats in here saying nas are nas fans.

im curious, how would u distinguish Jay and Nas' prime? IMO Nas has been up and down so I dunno where his 'prime' would be at. Jay is also aquestion mark...

With that said, Im changin my answer and goin with DMX. That was my dude when I was growin up. Sad how he fell OFF
frown.gif

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

Jay-z. Reason being is cause nas and jay both had classic albums yes, both went head-head in a battle. But, still jay sold more records than nas could ever in his carrer. That's the only difference, I think the majority of cats in here saying nas are nas fans.

What does selling more records have to with who was the illest on the mic in their prime? To quote someone earlier:
NaS in his prime is the greatest rapper of all time

What does selling more records have to with who was the illest on the mic in their prime? To quote someone earlier:
If we distinguish both carrers based on prime status i'd still say jay even though to me Nas is a better mc. Plus, jay isn't far off frombeing the best mc of all time. That's with nas included. To think about it though, as far as buisness ventures go roc had it better than nas's campwhich probaley made him sell more. Nas's joints back in the day we're classic's hell yea..But jay had classics too and sold more which was morecritically acclaimed.

u say prime meaning at their best. i say Jay-z, Nas dosent seem 2 ALWAYS strike me in his lyrics as much as hova

Well I think Nas is the greatest rapper, but I think he was at his best around the time of 'Stillmatic', 'Lost Tapes' and 'God'sSon'. I think DMX has the best debut album out of the three rappers, it's just incredible and I listen to it a lot more than I do Illmatic. I'm ahuge fan of Jay as well.

Back
Top Bottom