Building your own PC?

Originally Posted by Dam itz Lou

Video Cards = Strictly for gaming ?
Pretty much any video card over $125 or $150 I would consider for gaming... They are used for photoshop or video editing...

Which is why I was saying an on board video could save you quite a bit if you don't plan on playing games like COD or Crysis...

You could easily get a decent setup for about half of what your going to spend on that pre-built system...

That's actually not a bad system... The processor is a bit dated, but you've got memory, storage, and a decent video card... Have you tried to clean upany programs that might be hogging your resources? That could be why you're files aren't loading fast or clean.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

E8500 Processor 187.99
ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 144.99
AC Freezer 7 Pro 36.99
Arctic Silver AA-14G 6.99
OCZ Flex EX 4GB DDR2 115.99
Hitachi 1TB HDD 87.99
Asus EAH4850 Graphics Card 169.99
Asus Black 6x Blu-Ray 99.99
Thermaltake 600W Purepower 94.99
Antec 900 Case 109.99

Total 1055.90

That will give you a pretty decent machine with a lot of possibility for upgrades in the future. You always want to make sure you futureproof your machine.
There you have a Dual Core Processor Wolfdale with a decent clock speed. 4GB of DDR2 Gaming memory (fast access time). A TON (terabyte) of hard drive space. A graphics card that will support dual monitors as well as HDMI output up to 1080p. You have a Blu-Ray player. Your case. A phenomenal motherboard with a lot of upgrade options for the future. A great processor cooler and some good thermal compound. If you want me to slim it down a bit I will.

All of these prices are from NewEgg.com and most of the parts carry free shipping.

and as for the arctic silver, you dont need it, ac7 comes with a preaplied paste that is said to be superior to as5
preapplied paste is horrible
that is not true
most preapplied paste these days are actually good ( and doesnt void warranty )
arctic silver has been out for quite sometime now and the technology is outdated
the ac7 comes preapplied with arctic mx 2 which is superior to as5
arctic silver 5 is still a very good paste, probably the 3rd best right now and I still use only arctic silver 5 because I have a ton left and spending money to buy some ac mx 2 would just be a waste since its only slightly better than as5
hmm..maybe now it's good. When i built my first pc..the cpu would get real hot real quick with the preapplied paste..

x2

Video Cards = Strictly for gaming ?

consumer cards yes. workstation cards no.

workstation cards are like 10x the price of consumer cards and are basically the same card with the same chip

the only difference is image quality drivers support and instant tech support

dont fall for the idea that you need a good video card to run photoshop or video editing
photoshop and video editing are more cpu and ram dependent than video card
with the avaiable software these days, you will only see a 3-5 % boost in performance with a dedicated graphic card
you might as well spend the extra money you would have spend on the graphic card on a more powerful cpu and extra ram
that way you can see a true difference.

Originally Posted by nnarum

That's actually not a bad system... The processor is a bit dated, but you've got memory, storage, and a decent video card... Have you tried to clean up any programs that might be hogging your resources? That could be why you're files aren't loading fast or clean.
Yeah. When im on it for a while it starts going mad slow and then the internet stops working sometimes. A simple restart does the trick but it betaking mad long to boot so I hate restarting. After im running Itunes and Firefox for a while both start taking up 200K+ each in memory.
sick.gif

That's actually not a bad system... The processor is a bit dated, but you've got memory, storage, and a decent video card... Have you tried to clean up any programs that might be hogging your resources? That could be why you're files aren't loading fast or clean.
Yeah. When im on it for a while it starts going mad slow and then the internet stops working sometimes. A simple restart does the trick but it be taking mad long to boot so I hate restarting. After im running Itunes and Firefox for a while both start taking up 200K+ each in memory.
sick.gif
One reason I hate iTunes... Another is I don't like iPods
laugh.gif

If possible, I would backup your data maybe to an external hard dive (maybe a 1TB drive?) and reinstall a fresh version of Windows... You would gain a boost inperformance and you would be over doubling your storage... Just a suggestion...

Originally Posted by sole vintage

this is the back of my pc with the wires running in the back
n2jy1e.jpg

More pics!

best investment i made. spent a good month researching stuff a couple summers ago and then just went ahead and built it.

it can be frustrating at times if things dont go your way, but its a great experience and you'll have a sick computer for 1/3 of the price

this is the back of my pc with the wires running in the back
n2jy1e.jpg
I can never get this to work
I have very bad hands when it comes to cable management but props to you

best investment i made. spent a good month researching stuff a couple summers ago and then just went ahead and built it.

it can be frustrating at times if things dont go your way, but its a great experience and you'll have a sick computer for 1/3 of the price

Great advice guys. I didn't know this many people have done it on NT. Does anyone have exp with XION cases? I really have my eye on the XION II case.

Do you guys prefer Sata DVD drives over IDE drives? I'm thinking about getting a new burner... I don't want Blu right now...
i prefer sata drives. the cable is not as big as the IDE cable

BTW, I can't even come to grasps that I'm saying TB... My first computer only had a 40gb hard drive...
eek.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Great advice guys. I didn't know this many people have done it on NT. Does anyone have exp with XION cases? I really have my eye on the XION II case.
xion cases are cheap, i used a xion case for my friends built, they are cheap but the quality isnt that good

for my own personal use, I have only used antec cases. Great quality, a bit expensive but its worth it.

some brands you should consider

antec
cooler master
thermaltake
enermax
lian li

for colorful cases

raidmax
apevia

for the high end cases

silverstone
lian li
antec
zalman

well since everyone's posting their stuff here is what mine looks like
e8500 @ 4.4ghz
Abit ip35 pro
4gb g.skill ddr2-800
640gb WD hdd
visiontek ati hd4870 512mb
creative x-fi extrememusic
antec 300 case
antec trio power 650w psu

and whoever wants to build a computer...if you're into gaming i would not go to the core i7 platform just yet because the core2 platform can still keep itsground fairly well against the new i7 chips like a q9550 is very comparable to the lowest i7 920 cpu but of course if you're multitasking the q9550 has nochance whatsoever but in gaming it does fairly well because games these days still have not utilized the multicores of these cpus fully

my budget build would be like...
q9400= 179.99 @ microcenter
p5q pro= 125 or lower after rebate sometimes
4gb ddr2 ram which can be found for about 30-40 after rebate
ati 4830 about 90ish
case= coolermaster centurion 40ish
psu= antec/ocz/corsair 500+w which would run you about 50ish or more
huge cpu heatsink (preferably the xigmatek 120mm one or you can shell out money for a tuniq) 30ish
and hd is up to you

so for about 600 you can build a very decent rig that can play games pretty well...unless u intend to run crysis at 1920x1200 at max settings
i think anything 1680x1050 you should be fine with this rig though

Do you guys prefer Sata DVD drives over IDE drives? I'm thinking about getting a new burner... I don't want Blu right now...
i prefer sata drives. the cable is not as big as the IDE cable
Is there any advantage performance wise? I mainly just want a new version of Nero or some burning program because Nero 6 keeps giving Vista anerror...
smh.gif

Plus it's cheaper to just buy a new drive with the bundled software...

And check this out Lou if you decide to go the storage/reformat route...
$95 plus shipping for a 1 TB drive...
eek.gif

Anyone here recently purchase an oem hd from newegg? I heard about a lot of failures for those come from them a little while ago.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Anyone here recently purchase an oem hd from newegg? I heard about a lot of failures for those come from them a little while ago.
I'm 2/2 with functional drives... Is it a particular drive or brand that's giving these defects?

Nah, some people had a theory that it had to do with the way them packages them but it wasn't for sure.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

i'm also 2/2 with functional drives..both western digital

Back
Top Bottom