Building your own PC?

manguidai954 my hdd was an OEM unit from newegg...it has been running smoothly for a couple months now with no problems
i was skeptical too at first because of the return policy on their OEM products but I pulled the trigger anyway and so far I'm pretty happy

No doubt
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Anyone here recently purchase an oem hd from newegg? I heard about a lot of failures for those come from them a little while ago.
i've read that the problem is the way they ship the drive. they just put the bare drive in a static bag into a bigger box with only pop-cornstuffing and the drive bangs around too much during shipping. i wouldn;t buy an OEM drive from online. you never know how they will package it when they ship.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Anyone here recently purchase an oem hd from newegg? I heard about a lot of failures for those come from them a little while ago.
i've read that the problem is the way they ship the drive. they just put the bare drive in a static bag into a bigger box with only pop-corn stuffing and the drive bangs around too much during shipping. i wouldn;t buy an OEM drive from online. you never know how they will package it when they ship.

Riiight that's what I heard as well, people were recommending zipzoomfly instead.

15yvlzd.jpg

2i1e0y.jpg

so far i haven't had a drive fail on me but if you're getting it shipped by UPS there's 50/50 it will come broken. this is the box i got when iwas building a pc for my buddy, as you can see it was all wet even the inside
mad.gif

j9pp5j.jpg

Originally Posted by rickybadman

I waiting until the end of 2009 to build my next PC. To many major changes will take place this year and I don't want to be stuck. i.e the Intel Larabee, Scandisk's 250gb SSD and Windows 7/Directx 11 cards. I am also waiting for DDR3 memory and i7 motherboards to drop in price.
im doing the same. im waiting for the i7 dye to shrink, so far the current one gets to hot. it looks like the directx 11 cards are releasing thisspring or summer

Thanks for the pics of the cable management sole vintage. I'm going to disassemble my build tomorrow (well today technically) and re-do the wires like youhave it.

nnarum: For all intents and purposes, you'll get faster speeds with the SATA seeing that the max throughput is 1.5-3.0Gbps

By the way, the quick list I put together was just from me browsing NewEgg for like 5 minutes and throwing something together. In all honesty, if anyone put alittle effort into it, you can find almost any part cheaper somewhere else.

On the topic of DDR3, i don't think that $70-$80 for 4GB is that bad. Considering what the prices were like 6-8 months ago, sometimes its just fun beingahead of the curve.

I'm strongly considering purchasing an open-item computer from Best Buy (my place of employment) and stripping it for parts (particularly the Core i7).

Also, to the person that gave me the heads up on the computer building thing, thanks for the info. I'm about to open a store front in the NYC area forcomputer repair, networking, and graphic/web design. I have a decent clientelle base and figured it'd be fun to try. Especially with the economy being sobad right now, people are going out of business left and right and landlords are DYING for tenants. I can get a decent sized spot for $600 a month in a prettybusy neighborhood. I've always wanted to run my own store, I figured it'd be one hell of an experience. If it flops, so be it, a couple thousanddollars for attempting to accomplish a lifetime achievement isn't so bad in my opinion. What better time than now?

my old co-worker built me a computer a couple years ago, but since then it hasn't been able to boot up properly. anyone with advice pm me please. i droppedlike $6 bills and its useless just sitting in my living room. someone help me
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Be23ForLife

my old co-worker built me a computer a couple years ago, but since then it hasn't been able to boot up properly. anyone with advice pm me please. i dropped like $6 bills and its useless just sitting in my living room. someone help me
frown.gif
What seems to be the problem? How does it start up? Where does it freeze? etc.etc.

i turn it on and all it shows is my wallpaper, no desktop items, start up menu, pretty much frozen. so what do u think?

try this....

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL

then click on File --->Run (New Task)

Then type into that box "explorer.exe" without the quotation marks

See if that works

QueenCitySneakerQueen -

I have the ANtec Nine Hundred Case. It is a great case. I particularly like it because of the placement of the Power Supply. It is on the bottom, making itNOT top heavy like most other towers. It is surprisingly quiet for the amount of fans inside (all on high settings) and its very sturdy. I haven't seen ONEbad review about this case, it has got to be the most popular case ever. If not, its damn close.

Dam itz Lou -

That is a bit High End. You're still going to need a motherboard and at LEAST a 650W power supply.

My suggestions for Motherboards are EVGA 780i SLI or ASUS 780i SLI motherboard. It'll allow for a LOT of upgradability in the future.
Honestly at the $40, I'd spring for 2 graphics cards and go Crossfire just becuase.

If you pass by my store I can do better than the price of that BluRay Player and the Internal HDD.

Look at the Thermaltake Purepower or Toughpower supplies, they've ALWAYS been amazing. I have the Wickedpower, but its unnecessary.

Still need a CPU Cooler also. The Intel Cooler ISN'T that bad, but i'd still go for aftermarket.

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

Anyone on here own the Antec Nine Hundred case? That's my number one choice for a case just wondering if anyone has any feedback on it
awesome case, I used it to build my cousins computer

lots of fan for cooling and very stylish

and they also have fan controls

the only antec case I recommend over the antec 900 is the antec p182

the p182 is probably the nicest looking case I worked with, with tons of features

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

Anyone on here own the Antec Nine Hundred case? That's my number one choice for a case just wondering if anyone has any feedback on it
awesome case, I used it to build my cousins computer

lots of fan for cooling and very stylish

and they also have fan controls

the only antec case I recommend over the antec 900 is the antec p182

the p182 is probably the nicest looking case I worked with, with tons of features
*Googles Antec P182*
eek.gif
smokin.gif
and the reviews
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom