Controversy at my school vol. Blackface

Is this just a cry out for Lil wayne halloween masks and costume?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

One of the youtube comments
This isn't racist in any way, I'm white, if this had white stereotypes in it, i wouldn't care. what about the film, "white men can't jump" Can you imagine if the movie had the title was "Black men can't swim"? they're would be uproar

roll.gif

Being a joke this is 100% right.

Today I heard a white girl say to a black guy "Boy, you crazy"

Doesn't she know that Boy is a term white people used to talk down to black people?
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Originally Posted by II0II703 RICO ROB

^ was talking to Diego, so calm down immediately.

Unfortunately we do not know these young men, and are unable to speak for them on whether their actions were based on racial issues they have with African Americans, or merely ignorance to believe that painting oneself as a "black" man or woman is the way to go.

Same goes for Deron and the Dallas cheerleader. Same goes for those who dress up as Mexicans/Latinos, Africans, or Asian/Pacific Islander, etc.

At the end of the day, although it was Halloween, the body paint can be done without. The one thing the OP asked was if we thought the actions were wrong or right, whether or not they had racial undertones... It seems most in here agree that they would be somewhat offended by body paint being used to further protray a person of any race. You can imitate one of another race without the use of bodypaint and steriotypical characteristics as well. Characteristics should directly portray the SPECIFIC person you aim to imitate.

Don't mean to come in here and antagonize, just my .02c
Immediately? Get the hell out of here.
laugh.gif

I was talking to Diego too, by the way. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Immediately is what i meant, but I surely will not get the hell out of anywhere.

Apology accepted, and I as well apologize for any misunderstanding.

As stated though Black face, white face, indian face, latino face, asian face etc...it should all be abolished. No matter what the race is, it is insensitiveto paint oneself in order to portray someone of a different race, especially when there is honestly no specific color that can determine someone's race

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Doesn't she know that Boy is a term white people used to talk down to black people?
mad.gif
mad.gif
No, you didn't.

I dont understand how you can automatically call someone a racist for doing something like this. Im white, and not racist in the least bit, but if I want todress up as lil wayne Ill paint my whole damn body and not think twice about it. And calling on the University to punish the people involved? I dont see wherethey committed any crimes? Where does it say in the college handbook that you might be reprimanded for dressing up in black face? Why does the college have ANYright to intervene and get in the middle of this? This person just sounds like they were lurking on FB and saw a party that looked fun and is a little saltythey werent invited
laugh.gif
. Anyways you can debate this subject a million times (people have and will continue doing so) so its pointless really. People aregoing to do it whether others like it or not

Originally Posted by CreekShow

I dont understand how you can automatically call someone a racist for doing something like this. Im white, and not racist in the least bit, but if I want to dress up as lil wayne Ill paint my whole damn body and not think twice about it. And calling on the University to punish the people involved? I dont see where they committed any crimes? Where does it say in the college handbook that you might be reprimanded for dressing up in black face? Why does the college have ANY right to intervene and get in the middle of this? This person just sounds like they were lurking on FB and saw a party that looked fun and is a little salty they werent invited
laugh.gif
. Anyways you can debate this subject a million times (people have and will continue doing so) so its pointless really. People are going to do it whether others like it or not
And I don't see where son said to punish anyone. He just wanted to let people know that blackface was a serious matter and it shouldn't bestill going on in 2009.
This person just sounds like they were lurking on FB and saw a party that looked fun and is a little salty they werent invited
laugh.gif
Wow. Really?
smh.gif

I dont understand how you can automatically call someone a racist for doing something like this. Im white, and not racist in the least bit, but if I want to dress up as lil wayne Ill paint my whole damn body and not think twice about it. And calling on the University to punish the people involved? I dont see where they committed any crimes? Where does it say in the college handbook that you might be reprimanded for dressing up in black face? Why does the college have ANY right to intervene and get in the middle of this? This person just sounds like they were lurking on FB and saw a party that looked fun and is a little salty they werent invited
laugh.gif
. Anyways you can debate this subject a million times (people have and will continue doing so) so its pointless really. People are going to do it whether others like it or not

thats where their soft, if it bothers you that much, rather then go behind closed doors and cry about it, confront the people adult to adult in a respectfulway and say why you feel it bothers you, most likely if the people who wore the costumes knew the history behind that stuff and the people talked to themabout it, they probably would realize things.

OK if blackface is so racist and full of bigotry then how do you explain this? A movie based on a stereotype of dumb white girls.

Now just imagine if it's two white guys with black face and the movie was called "Black Chicks"

See the difference?

white_chicks.jpg

Originally Posted by AF1 Beast

laugh.gif
And I don't see where son said to punish anyone. He just wanted to let people know that blackface was a serious matter and it shouldn't be still going on in 2009.
Cliffnotes:

Couple of white guys dress up for Halloween in blackface

Pics seen on Facebook or guys seen at party

Student sends letter to school paper demanding action against this

School president initiates a forum on Thursday

Topic is buzzing around school

Oh Word?

Why are you getting defensive over me stating my opinion. Relax
tired.gif

watched pieces of some blackface minstrels in music class once

ironically, the best shows we saw were black actors, as black face
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

OK if blackface is so racist and full of bigotry then how do you explain this? A movie based on a stereotype of dumb white girls.

Now just imagine if it's two white guys with black face and the movie was called "Black Chicks"

See the difference?

white_chicks.jpg
because in our culture, the perception is that it is ok to stereotype white people..... there's nothing really right about it but it'saccepted as ok behavior.

Originally Posted by AF1 Beast

laugh.gif
And I don't see where son said to punish anyone. He just wanted to let people know that blackface was a serious matter and it shouldn't be still going on in 2009.
Cliffnotes:

Couple of white guys dress up for Halloween in blackface

Pics seen on Facebook or guys seen at party

Student sends letter to school paper demanding action against this

School president initiates a forum on Thursday

Topic is buzzing around school
Oh Word?

Why are you getting defensive over me stating my opinion. Relax
tired.gif

If you read the student's actual letter and not the cliffnotes which were written by OP, you would see that he never says anything abouttaking action against them.
And I wasn't defensive, its just a dumb statement.

oh well thats my fault. I saw demand action and assumed that meant punishment. Bad choice of words I guess.

And I know sarcasm is really hard to tell over the internet and all. But to answer your question no I dont think this person really lurked on FB and was saltythey didnt get invited.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

See the difference?

white_chicks.jpg
because in our culture, the perception is that it is ok to stereotype white people..... there's nothing really right about it but it's accepted as ok behavior.
This is kinda my point. Like I totally get why black face is considered worse and everything, but for me it's a matter of...context I guess?I'm white. My family has also been living in Canada since the beginning, and Canadians were +*%## to Chinese immigrants for a long time. They didn'thave rights or anything. I live in Vancouver and like 60% of my friends are Chinese and we get along fine. I'm not saying that the discrimination againstthem was equal to that of the blacks, but my Chinese friends don't hold it against me at all. I have never heard a Chinese acquaintance get in my faceabout how my ancestors were total jerks to theirs. I've never had to pay for THOSE offenses.

But when it comes to black people, it's STILL like, 'you don't have the right to do this or say that because your ancestors were jerks tomine.' (obvious understatement, but you get it.) Those weren't my mistakes and I shouldn't have to deal with the repercussions. Like if it meansanything, I'm obviously so sorry and ashamed of what they did, but I didn't do it. I don't appreciate being told that I don't have the samerights to do or say what I want because my great great great great granddad effed up. All I'm saying is that THIS late in the game, in this age oftolerance in Canada/the states, I don't see why our generation can't call a truce. Those of us who hold nothing against each other and have never doneanything to hurt the other race should be able to be chill with each other and not have all this 'I can say, but YOU can't say...' garbage.

EDIT: I should also add that one of my best friends is German and her best friend is Jewish. There's a whole lot he could hold against her and tell her shecan't say, but because they know our generation is different, and what the older folk did shouldn't affect them, they have never had a problem withanything like that.

To me, it comes down to the portrayal and common sense. If those coincide, we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

See the difference?

white_chicks.jpg
because in our culture, the perception is that it is ok to stereotype white people..... there's nothing really right about it but it's accepted as ok behavior.

which is EXTREMELY hypocritical.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

It happens ALL THE TIME on NT......there are people here who are quick to point out racism and stereotyping against their race/group when they themselves harbor the same racist attitudes or can't see how someone else could be offended by being stereotyped. It happens all the time on NT but if it doesn't concern you you don't look for it. Like i said, you can't have your cake and eat it to. You can't cry every time someone puts on black face and laugh when a black man puts on white face suspenders and a polo sweater. You can't preach civil rights and equal treatment, and not at least sympathize with the plight of gay people in this country. You can't expect people not to make assumptions of you as a black man, when you make the same assumptions about people's tastes and actions based on their race.

Keep it 100%. That'll be all.

exactly

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

mad.gif
mad.gif
i hate when my pops calls me 'boy'

$*%@ im a grown !%% man :mad

White Chicks was a racist movie, no rationalizing around it. However, can't people ever argue that without always adding, "what if I saidblack people were..." and exposing some racist stereotype they subscribe to? Seems kind of self defeating to call somebody else racist by comparing it toyour own example .

That said, if this is about the female who went as Lil Wayne, I don't see that as racist at all. It's not she went as "a black person," likesomeone did in the same photo being "a Mexican."

Back
Top Bottom