Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Jason knows ^ (blazer retails for $50 btw)
Also, I checked out the Neiman Marcus collection today. Passed for now but if it gets more discounted, I just might.
Btw Wis, small fit great on me just unsure of how often I'd use it. Even for $75 :/
Here are the pics:

And here's the rag & bone cardigan in a medium. For reference, I'm 5' 10" and about 163 lbs
I was debating about this blazer from Target but glad I didn't. I like my blazer a little longer, when there that short they remind me of jackets cut for women.

A: I'm sure it'll go down some more. Even at half off there's numerous Target stores around me with them. At least according to the store locator.

Thom is a fashion forward brand. It's not Brooks Bros or J. Crew so its aesthetic is not for everyone. His jackets are all cropped. It covers half your rear at best. They even have some super high rise trousers that sit 2 or 3 inches above your belly button.

Bought some jcrew urban slim fit broken in chino and it came today. There seem to be noticeable hip and thigh flare when I tried it on so I'm going to return it. Is this just a problem with the cut of the chino or should I adjust the sizing? or is there a way to get it tailored to get a better fit?

^Posting a pic would be helpful for those trying to answer your question

To whoever my Santa is-My roommate said package was delivered a few days ago. I'm at a relatives for the holidays so I won't actually get to it until after new years, but thanks in advance.

Wore this to work today. Can't tell if y'all can see it but the tie is burgundy plad and the shoes are brown. Any critiques?

Bought some jcrew urban slim fit broken in chino and it came today. There seem to be noticeable hip and thigh flare when I tried it on so I'm going to return it. Is this just a problem with the cut of the chino or should I adjust the sizing? or is there a way to get it tailored to get a better fit?

Here's a pic, I'm about 6 feet and this is 33x32.

Jason knows ^ (blazer retails for $50 btw)
Also, I checked out the Neiman Marcus collection today. Passed for now but if it gets more discounted, I just might.
Btw Wis, small fit great on me just unsure of how often I'd use it. Even for $75 :/
Here are the pics:

And here's the rag & bone cardigan in a medium. For reference, I'm 5' 10" and about 163 lbs

Tried it on in Target Friday,loved the fit and look the only thing that deterred me from buying it was the fact that it was a fuzz magnet...may pick it up regardless if it gets discounted any more...

looks like you needed to size down.

^Posting a pic would be helpful for those trying to answer your question
To whoever my Santa is-My roommate said package was delivered a few days ago. I'm at a relatives for the holidays so I won't actually get to it until after new years, but thanks in advance.
Ur welcome SoleAsian...I forgot to mail ur gift receipt with ur package...I need to send that out to you just incase the item doesn't fit

Merry Christmas dbers

That's not working, IMO. Are those a really lightweight chino? Plus the dark blazer & dark shoes, then patchwork flannel shirt. Cuffs look too big, can't really tell about the shoes but they look a little bulky. It just doesn't go well together.

Nice watch though. :D

Are they from the online factory store? Have you tried the 484?

You could get them tailored if you feel like it's worth it.

Wrong on every material man

Okay, explain?

Last edited:
If any1 can help me out.

What would be the typical cost of having a suit tailored to these exact specifications (tapered,slim, fit) . The original suit may not originally fit as huge as the pic illustrates , but you kind of get my point .

Thanks guys.

gq71.png
show us a picture of you in the suit. it will help a lot. from my experience though, shortening/tapers pants, shortening/tapering of sleeves/arms throughout, and waist suppression will run $150-200. and btw, if it doesnt even fit at the shoulders first (reason why id like to see a pic) then you'd spend all this money for absolutely nothing. if its not the right size there, its not worth it at all.

show us a picture of you in the suit. it will help a lot. from my experience though, shortening/tapers pants, shortening/tapering of sleeves/arms throughout, and waist suppression will run $150-200. and btw, if it doesnt even fit at the shoulders first (reason why id like to see a pic) then you'd spend all this money for absolutely nothing. if its not the right size there, its not worth it at all.

Ok perfect .Will do , once i find the one of my liking . Thanks in advance.
whats your price range? maybe we can direct you in the way of one that will not require so much work

Same thing here please help, J. Crew Urban Slim Fit 31 waist and I'm not sure if they look right. I'm a couple pounds over weight from what I usually weight but the 30 waist was way too tight. I didn't try on the 484 but when I last tried on 484 denim it was really uncomfortable. They will be hemmed of course. thanks in advance

Last edited:
Will something between $200-$350 get me a decent one? If so then that's my price range. I don't want anything extravagant but I also don't want something low in quality.
If you have a Nordstrom Rack or Saks 5th off around you, it may be worth your time to check them out. That's where I've bought a few suits and coats and they've worked out good for me.

That bad huh? They'll be returned. Any other brands around the $50-$70 price range?

They don't look too bad from the side profile but the front just looks wonky imo. I'd say return them & get some dockers alpha khaki's, they aren't the slimmest fit but they are some damb good chinos for the price.

Re: tailoring a suit, Adrian is right. Tailoring is like fine tuning. The shoulders gotta fit ok first as well as the arm holes. You can't alter the pattern. If you want to tailor a full suit I'd test the water first with easy jobs if you can't get any recommendations on nearby competent tailors.

I spent $35 on a pair of trousers from J. Crew factory last week because I liked the pattern. I ended up spending $55 to tailor it. This included hemming, taking in rear and crotch as well as tapering. Basically turning the pants into slim straight. The point I want to make is good tailoring is often not inexpensive.

Brooks Brothers.
I don't quite understand why everyone buys from J Crew. BB is cheaper when on sale (which is basically always), better quality and a wider array of fits.
Because Brooks Bros stores are not widely as available as J. Crew's. Brooks has some sub par items too, ie their lower made in China stuff.

Like I've been saying along, J. Crew is a marketing genius. They fill the void between mall brands and upscale stores like Barneys and Neiman. J. Crew caters to those who wants workwear, yet still have suits, tux, and fine heritage brands like Alden, Barbour, etc. When one thinks of Brooks Bros, the first two things that pop into mind are: prep and old and baggy cuts. People usually associate prep with being stuck up, which is a turn off. Some Nordstroms do carry Brooks Bros line, but the selection leaves much to be desired. also They only came out with the Milano cut in the recent years which is their only true slim cut. Aside from that, everything else is basically traditional and unwanted by the young crowd. J. Crew also advertises like crazy. I don't even know how many young customers they lost by doing this. I remember when I was shopping for my first suit and went to a Brooks store. The guy just said honestly if you want a slim suit for your slender frame, look elsewhere, my young friend. J. Crew's newest campaign has the founder of Tumblr in one of their suits, which is huge. I'm a marketing geek so I pay attention to this stuff. About 3-4 years ago, I would say J. Crew was on the same level as BR as being a top level mall brand, but they switched gear and is in the class of their own now.

I buy from both brands, but it's a hassle to buy via Brooks. Shipping is not free. If I want to go to the store, I'd have to drive 25-30 miles away. (Referring to Brooks).

Stopped by Barneys after work and was tempted to get a Thom Grey blazer. It was going to be around $500 after tax, but I'm going to see if it makes it to the next mark down. All 5 blazers were still there in with all sizes available so I'll play the Russian Roulette.

Today's outfit, also Xmas challenge entry:

Xmas gift from boss:

J. Crew is seen as very hip. Brooks Brothers seems like an older guy's store or at least that's what I think the perception was a few years ago. I'm in my mid-20s and very few of my friends have ever stepped into that store.

Back
Top Bottom