Give/Show examples of the decline of quality in Jordan retros...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had OG fire red 4's in 89, super comfy.  Wore them til the V's came out everyday.  They were beat, but still cool. Mars 4; hurt, period.  Tabs on back cuts ur feet.  Had taxi 12s since 96.  Beat them up, still balled in them in 07.  Put on CDPs and wht/reds....took them off 

Originally Posted by stevesteve72

IMO the quality on the red/white XIII's and white /cement III's is good and hopefully a step in the right direction for JB.
I had the OG 3's and the previous retro 3's.
The cements that dropped this year are STRAIGHT TOILET, just feel the padded ankle area. WHERE IS THE PADDING?

IMO the quality on the red/white XIII's and white /cement III's is good and hopefully a step in the right direction for JB.
The cements that dropped this year are STRAIGHT TOILET, just feel the padded ankle area. WHERE IS THE PADDING?

Main issue everyone should be having with lesser quality retros.
Ok, they are not meant for basketball, hence all the quality materials are on their newer lines.

THEN WHY ARE THEY COSTING $150 and up? Where is the justification. Design and molds ( already there ) materials ( not an issue )

If they are crapping on the quality. The price should reflect it, not increase. $150 for the cements this year is laughable.

FYI. I no longer buy Jordans.

Main issue everyone should be having with lesser quality retros.
Ok, they are not meant for basketball, hence all the quality materials are on their newer lines.

THEN WHY ARE THEY COSTING $150 and up? Where is the justification. Design and molds ( already there ) materials ( not an issue )

If they are crapping on the quality. The price should reflect it, not increase. $150 for the cements this year is laughable.

FYI. I no longer buy Jordans.

I will not deny that JB quality from way back when was better. A perfect example is the peeling paint of the 07 III's and 06 IV's. Some people are acting like JB never had any issues.

I remember as a kid having OG IV's that scraped the back of my heel and having plenty of jays that just fell apart after taking a beating. Too many people forget that as

kids we weren't buying the shoes our selves and were no where near as critical of what we purchased. I remember just being happy to have a pair of jordans on my feet

and never looked for creases glue spots or anything for that matter. I never inspected my shoes other than to make sure I didn't buy two left feet.

Those were the days of putting my old smelly kicks in the Jordan box and wearing my new jays right out the store on to Jamaica Ave thinking I was the man!

I will not deny that JB quality from way back when was better. A perfect example is the peeling paint of the 07 III's and 06 IV's. Some people are acting like JB never had any issues.

I remember as a kid having OG IV's that scraped the back of my heel and having plenty of jays that just fell apart after taking a beating. Too many people forget that as

kids we weren't buying the shoes our selves and were no where near as critical of what we purchased. I remember just being happy to have a pair of jordans on my feet

and never looked for creases glue spots or anything for that matter. I never inspected my shoes other than to make sure I didn't buy two left feet.

Those were the days of putting my old smelly kicks in the Jordan box and wearing my new jays right out the store on to Jamaica Ave thinking I was the man!

Originally Posted by Iceberg16

I didn't own the 2003's, but looking at the comparison pics, it explains exactly WHY the shoes were
larger than normal. If they stuck with the conventional methods of producing the 3's (i.e. standardized
fare - thick,puffy padding)... peeps wouldn't have been obscured and quarrelled by the sizing.

In regards, don't think it was a quality issue, just lack of material usage (well, i guess that can be argued
as lack of quality)... but other than that, the shoe is built well.

Most people may agree with me that after the CDP phase, JB took notice of their craftmanship and began
to build gooder shoes (with the price hike of course, $150.00 being the default for all sig models - umph).

Since the CDPs, we've seen the 2's, 3's, 5's, 6', 7's, 9's, 11's, 12's, 13's (of all those, it was only the 2's and
9's that i didn't cop - heard the 9's were on point... ppl's qualms with the 2's were plasticky pleather. 
8 out of 9 ain't that bad. Although, let me add that the Cool Grey's aren't as solid as their og counterpart, but
they're decent).

If anything, i would love to see them re-retro the Aqua VIII's and do it right.

Btw... did the retro Playoff VIII's fall victim to the easy crack as well? Don't hear much about them... 

I didn't own the 2003's, but looking at the comparison pics, it explains exactly WHY the shoes were
larger than normal. If they stuck with the conventional methods of producing the 3's (i.e. standardized
fare - thick,puffy padding)... peeps wouldn't have been obscured and quarrelled by the sizing.

In regards, don't think it was a quality issue, just lack of material usage (well, i guess that can be argued

Most people may agree with me that after the CDP phase, JB took notice of their craftmanship and began
to build gooder shoes (with the price hike of course, $150.00 being the default for all sig models - umph).

Since the CDPs, we've seen the 2's, 3's, 5's, 6', 7's, 9's, 11's, 12's, 13's (of all those, it was only the 2's and
9's that i didn't cop - heard the 9's were on point... ppl's qualms with the 2's were plasticky pleather. 
8 out of 9 ain't that bad. Although, let me add that the Cool Grey's aren't as solid as their og counterpart, but
they're decent).

Btw... did the retro Playoff VIII's fall victim to the easy crack as well? Don't hear much about them... 

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

If you have never dragged your parents into a JC Penny, Castner Knot, Kenny Shoes, or Footlocker to buy you a pair of
Nike Air Jordans in 80's; or have a pair of 1st gen retros in your possession...then shut up.

Outside of higher quality materials, the over all construction of the originals were just better.  The major thing that you will notice
would be the weight of the shoe and the stiffness of the ankle support on the OGs compared to the flimsy, soft retros of the present.
If you weren't around to have these in hand or on your feet, there's no way that you can even speak on this.

Got my og 1's from Stride Rite.
laugh.gif

Today's retros are very comparable to payless.  Nike included.

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

If you have never dragged your parents into a JC Penny, Castner Knot, Kenny Shoes, or Footlocker to buy you a pair of
Nike Air Jordans in 80's; or have a pair of 1st gen retros in your possession...then shut up.

Outside of higher quality materials, the over all construction of the originals were just better.  The major thing that you will notice
would be the weight of the shoe and the stiffness of the ankle support on the OGs compared to the flimsy, soft retros of the present.
If you weren't around to have these in hand or on your feet, there's no way that you can even speak on this.

Got my og 1's from Stride Rite.
laugh.gif

Today's retros are very comparable to payless.  Nike included.

Originally Posted by BinYe

they're decent).

My playoff VIIIs held up well but they had a single tone dark grey midsole.Unlike the aquas that were multi- color painted. Others may disagree but my pair held up nicely!

Originally Posted by BinYe

they're decent).

My playoff VIIIs held up well but they had a single tone dark grey midsole.Unlike the aquas that were multi- color painted. Others may disagree but my pair held up nicely!

ah nuts. just looked down at my white/silver/3m 2's and despite the superb leather and wonderful smooth inner, the white paint is starting to flake and chip on the midsole. it's white so it's an easy fix, but son i am so disappoint.

are 2's even known for this?

ah nuts. just looked down at my white/silver/3m 2's and despite the superb leather and wonderful smooth inner, the white paint is starting to flake and chip on the midsole. it's white so it's an easy fix, but son i am so disappoint.

are 2's even known for this?

When I was a kid, I had black red 8s... the straps literally tore off. it was like my 3rd/4th time wearing them.
I don't see all the fuss about the quality. They weren't really made with good quality before. I agree that the
OG 12s and OG 11s were made very very well. But for the other models... I just don't see why we even
complain and say that the OGs were better when the only good OG jordan I had were 12s and even retro
12s were made well.

Coming from a guy who had OGs, I just buy what I want and use them. Let's not create illusions that JB make
the best sneakers in the universe. They don't and they are what they are so let's not set expectations without
basis. They are overpriced as hell but that doesn't mean they're top notch shoes. We only buy these shoes
because they look good and MJ's name is on it. That's why today, I only buy Kobes and other nike stuff. I only
buy Jordans that I really really can't pass up and expect nothing.

When I was a kid, I had black red 8s... the straps literally tore off. it was like my 3rd/4th time wearing them.
I don't see all the fuss about the quality. They weren't really made with good quality before. I agree that the
OG 12s and OG 11s were made very very well. But for the other models... I just don't see why we even
complain and say that the OGs were better when the only good OG jordan I had were 12s and even retro
12s were made well.

Coming from a guy who had OGs, I just buy what I want and use them. Let's not create illusions that JB make
the best sneakers in the universe. They don't and they are what they are so let's not set expectations without
basis. They are overpriced as hell but that doesn't mean they're top notch shoes. We only buy these shoes
because they look good and MJ's name is on it. That's why today, I only buy Kobes and other nike stuff. I only
buy Jordans that I really really can't pass up and expect nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom