Guitar Heads!!!

I'm jealous, I have a frickin Ibanez 25R Tone Blaster. I can't hardly crank it up because I don't want to blow the speakers. I need a bass amp but the only way to justify it is to play bass more

I'm jealous, I have a frickin Ibanez 25R Tone Blaster. I can't hardly crank it up because I don't want to blow the speakers. I need a bass amp but the only way to justify it is to play bass more

Glad there's a thread about guitars...

I've been looking for a first guitar..thinking about starting off cheap with an Ibanez set for $200.

http://www.guitarcenter.c...72012.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

I had an acoustic about 10 years ago..but never really LEARNED anything (besides a few chords and simple songs)..finally gave it up cause i got bored.

Is $200 a good deal for the set up? Not looking to spend big bucks since i'm afraid i might lose motivation. lol

I've been looking for a first guitar..thinking about starting off cheap with an Ibanez set for $200.

I had an acoustic about 10 years ago..but never really LEARNED anything (besides a few chords and simple songs)..finally gave it up cause i got bored.

Is $200 a good deal for the set up? Not looking to spend big bucks since i'm afraid i might lose motivation. lol

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

That's straight dude, my homegirl has the same set up, she says it's good for beginners.
My amp cost me $100 and the Squire $50 flat since I bought it at a pawn shop

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

That's straight dude, my homegirl has the same set up, she says it's good for beginners.
My amp cost me $100 and the Squire $50 flat since I bought it at a pawn shop

If youre going the acoustic route, I second the yamaha suggestion. They make great entry level acoustics. I would suggest the classic vibe series for electric. When setting a budget remember that the amp is where most of your tone will come from, so don't skimp.

My current setup:

Fender highway one telecaster,
Peavey classic 30,
Squire acoustic

If youre going the acoustic route, I second the yamaha suggestion. They make great entry level acoustics. I would suggest the classic vibe series for electric. When setting a budget remember that the amp is where most of your tone will come from, so don't skimp.

My current setup:

Fender highway one telecaster,
Peavey classic 30,
Squire acoustic

i would advise against beginner value packs, if at all possible. from what i've seen, the packs are essentially the cheapest guitar the brand makes, bundled with a cheap amp/accessories, depending on whether you go acoustic or electric.

i've noticed that all the used guitars in pawn shops/craigslist are from those value packs. every guitarist i spoke to before buying my guitar told me crap guitars will aggravate you to no end, whether it never stays in tune or it just plain sounds bad. if you're really hurting for money, i would suggest just saving up your money, or buy the yamaha acoustic for $200 and call it a day.

garbage electric + garbage amp = guitarist who quits

i went ampless for 3 months after getting my electric so i could save up for a decent $100 one. to put things into perspective, i got a MIM fender strat for $300, and a line 6 15w amp for $100. total cost of $400, all new. not cheap, but not crazy expensive, plus these choices hold their value in the event i quit.

i would advise against beginner value packs, if at all possible. from what i've seen, the packs are essentially the cheapest guitar the brand makes, bundled with a cheap amp/accessories, depending on whether you go acoustic or electric.

i've noticed that all the used guitars in pawn shops/craigslist are from those value packs. every guitarist i spoke to before buying my guitar told me crap guitars will aggravate you to no end, whether it never stays in tune or it just plain sounds bad. if you're really hurting for money, i would suggest just saving up your money, or buy the yamaha acoustic for $200 and call it a day.

garbage electric + garbage amp = guitarist who quits

i went ampless for 3 months after getting my electric so i could save up for a decent $100 one. to put things into perspective, i got a MIM fender strat for $300, and a line 6 15w amp for $100. total cost of $400, all new. not cheap, but not crazy expensive, plus these choices hold their value in the event i quit.

Agreed, value packs are a terrible idea. I would suggest going used for the amp. You will get a better quality amp that way. I would stay away from the line 6 spider, though.

Agreed, value packs are a terrible idea. I would suggest going used for the amp. You will get a better quality amp that way. I would stay away from the line 6 spider, though.

Also there is a general consensus that you should buy the best guitar that you can afford. If you are not sure you want to make the commitment, I suggest borrowing a friend's guitar or renting one from a music shop.

Also there is a general consensus that you should buy the best guitar that you can afford. If you are not sure you want to make the commitment, I suggest borrowing a friend's guitar or renting one from a music shop.

dont get starter packs........thats probably the worst buy you can make, even if your on a budget, wait the extra month/s so save up.....the amps in those starter packs are dirt poor, and those cheap guitars (like squires) get out of tune constantly.

dont get starter packs........thats probably the worst buy you can make, even if your on a budget, wait the extra month/s so save up.....the amps in those starter packs are dirt poor, and those cheap guitars (like squires) get out of tune constantly.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

This, and the action from the fretboard to the strings is high
sick.gif
or they get worse as you go towards the bridge. Thats why you have an acoustic guitar, they get you ready and the transition to an electric should be as smooth as possible. Get one where the action from strings to frets is low, and you'll have more accuracy and precision playing. 

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

This, and the action from the fretboard to the strings is high
sick.gif
or they get worse as you go towards the bridge. Thats why you have an acoustic guitar, they get you ready and the transition to an electric should be as smooth as possible. Get one where the action from strings to frets is low, and you'll have more accuracy and precision playing. 

Originally Posted by aBKLYNthing

i've had no issues with my amp, and it does a couple of effects.  not saying it's the best, but i have no qualms with it.  what would you recommend to these guys for around $100?

i've had no issues with my amp, and it does a couple of effects.  not saying it's the best, but i have no qualms with it.  what would you recommend to these guys for around $100?

Originally Posted by jookz

peavey vypyr 15 hands down

Originally Posted by jookz

peavey vypyr 15 hands down

Back
Top Bottom