I WANT TO ENCOURAGE A MORE CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION OVER RACE RELATIONS ON NT

Why is the American Psychological Association an authority on this? :lol:

*ahem*

The American Psychological Association (APA) is the largest scientific and professional organization of psychologists in the United States.[1] It is the world's largest association of psychologists with around 137,000 members including scientists, educators, clinicians, consultants and students.[1] The APA has an annual budget of around $115m.[2] There are 54 divisions of the APA—interest groups covering different subspecialties of psychology or topical areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psychological_Association

[emoji]128133[/emoji]

Now what?

American Psychological Association currently says ‘African-American’ and ‘Black’ can be used interchangeably in academic writing.”

Last edited:
AFRICAN American is not the same as Black.

The issue there was that people didn't know what word to use, so they decided that both would be acceptable in their writing.

The APA doesn't decide for us how we interpret the words.

And if the word is AFRICAN American, it is inherently not the same as Black.

The issue there was that people didn't know what word to use, so they decided that both would be acceptable in their writing.

Guess what? Doesn't mean you're right.

I think ill quote it again to emphasise this since ill take a bunch of scholars over an pseudo ones here

American Psychological Association currently says ‘African-American’ and ‘Black’ can be used interchangeably in academic writing.”

love how he chooses to ignore the fact that his census considers people that AREN'T African American black. :lol:

Oh..those olf 2010 standards that got thrown out for da updated 2020 model? [emoji]129300[/emoji] oh yeah...

Checkmate.

Last edited:
Those experience are so important, though. It's uncomfortable, it hurts. I genuinely remember my feelings being hurt. I was with two Italian girls and my best friend who's Half Puerto Rican and half Irish/German. No one ever treats him that way whenever we walked into a spot. It was just me.

And that's what some of y'all don't seem to understand. If I walked in and told everyone 'hey, I'm not black I'm hispanic' they probably would have spit in my face. Doesn't matter that my Morher is fair skinned. All that mattered when I was in that neighborhood was the wideness of my nose, my big lips and my brown skin.
Facts.

Same way I used to have a good Rican friend, almost like fam. His fam literally treated me like fam. He hung around Black people as well but most were Spanish. I never understood why he always got more love than me from when they came around to hang with us or we went to hang with them. We had a friend who was Rican and White. Looked White. The things he was able to do that I saw was astonishing.

Even worse, we used to go to bars downtown and it was obviouso who fit in and who didn't. And after that and a couple of other experiences downtown, I just stopped going to Manhattan unless I had to. Which is funny because the same people are trekking to the Bronx to live there now. But let the Bronx migrate to Times Square or UES....

Went to Pianos one time with my Ecuadorian boy. Told "Tonight wasn't our night" by some hillbilly but all the white people got in. I'm like why do we even come down here? I thought it was just Blacks until he told me all the racist stuff he goes through (He looks Arab with his beard, too). Said even his mom came over with the racist mindstate against Blacks and he had to get her mind right.

It's annoying when people act like it doesn't exist. But that's because it doesn't exist to them. Then they cry about it when it happens to them.

Those experience are so important, though. It's uncomfortable, it hurts. I genuinely remember my feelings being hurt. I was with two Italian girls and my best friend who's Half Puerto Rican and half Irish/German. No one ever treats him that way whenever we walked into a spot. It was just me.

And that's what some of y'all don't seem to understand. If I walked in and told everyone 'hey, I'm not black I'm hispanic' they probably would have spit in my face. Doesn't matter that my Morher is fair skinned. All that mattered when I was in that neighborhood was the wideness of my nose, my big lips and my brown skin.

I remember hearing stories as a kid. Puerto Rican went to sit on the front of the bus in the 50's. Bus driver said "go to the back". PR said "but I'm not black". Bus driver says, "I don't care what type of N you are".

Moved a lot growing up. Maspeth, Queens was the racist growing up. Always had families GRILLING me at the ice cream spot. A rich Italian on my block bought another house on the street cause he knew black people put a bid on it. I work in union construction. Dudes are as racist as it comes. They got Trump stickers on their hard hats. One of em talked about how Kardashian isn't hot cause she's been "tainted".

For sure it's important to grow a tough skin. I love traveling. Can't let that phase me. Going to Canada this weekend. Although I hear they are very diverse and friendly. The most racist place in the U.S for me was Maine.
Ricans gave me the least racism out of all Hispanic groups, if any. Out of all Hispanic women, Rican women always been the ones in my experience, to like Black men . I figured because they been around Blacks long enough so there were never any problems.

But you're example makes me wonder how it would be had the bus driver not grouped them in with Blacks. Hilarious story, however.

Italians are hands down the most racist IMO, to everyone but especially Blacks lol. My ex, who is Pakistani worked at an Italian company downtown.

Hell, they throw bananas at Black players in soccer games. I forgot dude name, but he said if they did it to him he would be in prison for killing someone. He doesn't support or tolerate racism at all. I don't blame em.

Last edited:

And if the word is AFRICAN American, it is inherently not the same as Black.
Why is something so simple hard for someone to grasp.

Keyword: African.

@TimShepard

Exactly. It doesn't exist to some people. Experiences way outside of your comfort zone are necessary for real understanding. I didn't realize it growing up, but I was always around a wide range of kids. Black kids, Hispanic kids, Asian Kids, White Kids. Three of my best friends in elementary were White, White and Asian. I lived in Harlem, so I also spent a lot of time out of school with all my friends from the neighborhood who were Hispanic or Black.

It's important to get those experiences on both sides. Gotta understand the issue from every angle and expose yourself to 'other' experiences.

What u want me to re-quote..da updated census or da APA?

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

According to your census update, black includes more than African Americans...can you read? :lol:

Yeah, and NONE of those groups are latino/Hispanics [emoji]128133[/emoji]

Just for clarification..

@TimShepard

Exactly. It doesn't exist to some people. Experiences way outside of your comfort zone are necessary for real understanding. I didn't realize it growing up, but I was always around a wide range of kids. Black kids, Hispanic kids, Asian Kids, White Kids. Three of my best friends in elementary were White, White and Asian. I lived in Harlem, so I also spent a lot of time out of school with all my friends from the neighborhood who were Hispanic or Black.

It's important to get those experiences on both sides. Gotta understand the issue from every angle and expose yourself to 'other' experiences.
Exactly. I had White friends I grew up with and never experienced that. Even when I was young, I remember some African kid kept trying to mess with me and the biggest White dude punked him in my defense LMAO.

But man, I would've never known I would be ignored downtown. And that hurt. Cause if someone asked me something, I never looked at who they were or what color they were before answering. It was like I didnt even exist, but NH (Who won't leave the heights / Stoop kid afraid to leave the stoop) will tell you people aren't dehumanized.

That's why I hate when people gas up NYC. Like yeah, it's cool. I'm from the Bronx. But let's not act like it's not a melting pot of racism. I remember being trapped downtown during Sandy when it first started and NO CABS would stop for me. Almost had to walk from 42nd to 100's to catch a Black cab. Finally an African stopped and I paid him $30 to take me to BX. I used to have to stand on the sidewalk while my girl hailed a cab cause if I was by her they wouldn't stop and that's crazy because people are so racist that won't even take your money and thatS CRAZY TO ME.

Again..do you want da census or da apa accredited stance?
Genetically, physically, and racially you're no different from an average African-American, so why focus so much on semantics? At the end of the day it doesn't matter how you get classified on a census. When someone looks at you they see a black person, because that's what you are, you're predominantly of negroid African stock. If you lived in DR the lighter Dominicans would call you moreno, negro, prieto, etc. And if you said "I'm not black" people would laugh at you and think you're crazy. If these people called you a prieto would you say "I'm not black I'm Latino".lol

Last edited:

Genetically, physically, and racially you're no different from an average African-American, so why focus so much on semantics? At the end of the day it doesn't matter how you get classified on a census. When someone looks at you they see a black person, because that's what you are, you're predominantly of negroid African stock. If you lived in DR the lighter Dominicans would call you moreno, negro, prieto, etc. And if you said "I'm not black" people would laugh at you and think you're crazy. If these people called you a prieto would you say "I'm not black I'm Latino".lol

View media item 1997203

In DR, no because the term black there isn't heavily associated with African Americans....just like anywhere else innlatin America....in the US tho, he's not the only one that uses the terms in different context to differentiate between the two cultures, that's all man...ain't no one trying to deny the African roots bro.

Moreno in my country describes gradient in skin color...in america, black means african American.. Which according to da apa..

Game, set, & match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom