is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

Originally Posted by PLVN

Originally Posted by sillyputty

I think the Beatles are a legendary group, but I feel that their influence is slightly overstated

laugh.gif

You think way to highly of this dude, Im sure more people over all in America know more about Bob Marley then Paul.
Paul was in a band when you are in a band, you don't have that much individuality.

0c82557e4c6c4d134b26c42abddaad80947cbef.jpg

I think the Beatles are a legendary group, but I feel that their influence is slightly overstated
laugh.gif
Wylin. How can you comment on influence in an era you weren't even born in let alone grew up in. That is literally like somebody born in 2006 trying to tell me Michael Jackson's influence was overstated.

Also who ever said the Beatles had a huge influence on rap music? DJs were not flipping samples of Yellow Submarine at parties in the beginning.

laugh.gif

You think way to highly of this dude, Im sure more people over all in America know more about Bob Marley then Paul.
Paul was in a band when you are in a band, you don't have that much individuality.
So? 

Bob Marley AND THE WAILERS.

It could have just as well been Paul McCartney and the Beatles. 

What is your point? 

???? I was talking to Plvn about him thinking too highly of Paul.
I said more people know about BoB M then Paul

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
Wylin. How can you comment on influence in an era you weren't even born in let alone grew up in. That is literally like somebody born in 2006 trying to tell me Michael Jackson's influence was overstated.

Also who ever said the Beatles had a huge influence on rap music? DJs were not flipping samples of Yellow Submarine at parties in the beginning.
Did I not read that people were talking about beatles samples and all that in rap music?
And you're right. No, I won't speak on an era I didn't grow up in...and on that accord that invalidates i'm assuming more than 3/4 of this thread alone. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

laugh.gif

roll.gif

I stand by that statement, including old young, black, white.... I think people ears would perk up quicker to the name Bob Marley then to Paul McCarteny.

It's a generational gap. It happens. but Beattles, Beetles, and McJagger?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Come on b. I can't believe I missed McJagger, is that like a variation of McG?
laugh.gif

For the record it's The Beatles and Mick Jagger smh  

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif

Did I not read that people were talking about beatles samples and all that in rap music?
And you're right. No, I won't speak on an era I didn't grow up in...and on that accord that invalidates i'm assuming more than 3/4 of this thread alone. 
eyes.gif
I think ppl who mentioned that had to be referring to recent stuff, past 15 years maybe. I think of Rza sampling Beatles when I hear someone say something like that not Curtis Blow. They can't be talking early 80s hip hop outside of maybe one or two songs and I doubt they can be saying the Beatles had a HUGE influence on rap in comparison to say Bootsy Collins.

And yeah it would invalidate that many, but this thread isn't really about the Beatles influence on music or Paul's or the era they were making great music. It's simply recognizing who an icon/legend is. His notoriety is up there in music. One of the last living Beatles. It'd be the same as knowing who Stevie Wonder is despite the fact that neither have really dropped chart topping great records in the past 5 years.

laugh.gif

What? You obviously do not know how big the Beatles were. Namely, Paul and John as far as individuality and notoriety.

I don't even know why you're trying to make it a competition between the two when they're both equally famous. Plus lets not act like there's a stigma attached to Bob when it comes to weed heads and the whole being dead thing usually makes you more famous and a symbol. You'd be better off comparing John and Bob to see who recognizes who more.

But you go ahead and make a survey for that hypothesis and get back to us.

You are the single worst most obvious troll I have ever seen.

Also, I would never try to say that The Beatles had a greater influence on Hip-Hop than the likes of Kool Herc and Bambaata, but Hip-Hop is a small part of the music world when looking at it as a whole.

They were among the first artists to sample though...so they do have that.

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

What? You obviously do not know how big the Beatles were. Namely, Paul and John as far as individuality and notoriety.

I know how big they were, I feel John lennon was bigger.

I dont believe his name stands alone, I think the beetles are more known than Bob Marley, but not just Paul M.

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

I know how big they were, I feel John legend was bigger.

I dont believe his name stands alone, I think the beetles are more known than Bob Marley, but not just Paul M.

Goodnight. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

Goodnight. 
laugh.gif

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

originalbs.jpg

roll.gif

I stand by that statement, including old young, black, white.... I think people ears would perk up quicker to the name Bob Marley then to Paul McCarteny.

........oh but that not what you said.

....you SAID: "more people all over america KNOW MORE about Bob Marley then Paul"

....find someone that knows both and ask them WHAT THEY KNOW about both of them......see what they tell you.

hell, EYE know both, and even i can only tell you maybe 2-3 things about Bob Marley but can tell you loads about Paul.

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

is_this_real_life101.gif

The irony you bring up John Legend being "bigger" after I mention John Lennon.

I mean the Beatles birthed the boy bands of the late 90s. Paul was basically Bieber times a million.

You are the single worst most obvious troll I have ever seen.
If someone doesn't agree with you they are a troll 
eyes.gif

Throughout this thread you acted as if he was some music god. 

If you dont know him you cant be a music fan, what sense does that even make.
He is not one of the most famous people on the planet, the beetles are one of the most famous bands. 

laugh.gif
 I meant John Lennon 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

ATGD7154xBBxMZ wrote:

Goodnight. 

1311626178002.gif

eyes.gif

Not true. It's just PAINFULLY obvious that you're saying outlandishly moronic things to get a reaction.

He is.

I never said that. Try again.
He is not one of the most famous people on the planet

Yes he is.
the beetles are one of the most famous bands.

The only sensible thing you've said.

Now please leave and go deaf or something.

On one hand, I can emphasize. There are random bands from 20 to 30 years ago who I barely know of (for example, I'll never understand Freebird). Whether I get exposed to and/or like an older band is very hit or miss, so there's some obscure stuff I know a lot about but also mainstream stuff I don't know much about.

On the other hand, this is the Beatles. You have Elvis, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson. Even if you only know MJ well, you would know he did 2 songs with McCartney in the 80's.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by MonStar1
I'll admit it, this is lowkey why I made the thread. 
laugh.gif

A lot of Americans really think their culture is the only one that matters when really it's just one of many in their own country, not to mention the world.

I'd be disappointed if a grown man had never heard of EWF or The Temptations, or the Isley Brothers (three bands that are of more importance and have had more of an impact in MY music culture) but I'm not gonna be calling them ignorant and disregarding their opinion if they can't name Maurice White by name.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Why are we treating Maradona as on par with Paul McCartney? Completely different ballparks of fame. 
LOL go anywhere south of the U.S. border and tell them Maradona isn't on McCartney's level when it comes to fame. Got to Italy and get laughed at while you're at it. 

Maybe I'm lucky in that I got exposed to a wide variety of music from different people growing up. I lived in a lot of different places and had diverse friends. I know all the oldies, ranging from the Everly Brothers to Sam Cooke (and of course the Temptations). I listened to a lot of R Kelly (inspiration for my name) so I know all about the Isley Brothers. And so on.

My point is this though -- yes, while there are strong cultural reasons behind a musician's popularity (to the point where trash becomes popular within a culture), the really good music crosses cultural lines. Look at Bob Marley, for example. Don't let race or ethnicity hold you back from giving someone like the Beatles a chance.

Expand what you listen to. Yes, there's a ton of new music and it's hard to keep up, but trust me -- some of the older stuff will blow any new stuff out of the water. Every time I've given a new genre of music a chance, I've almost always been pleasantly surprised and become a fan. And I dare anyone to find a cultural or ethnic reason behind why I like any of the music I do. I'm into Russian music now actually.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Not true. It's just PAINFULLY obvious that you're saying outlandishly moronic things to get a reaction.

He is.

I never said that. Try again.
He is not one of the most famous people on the planet

Yes he is.
the beetles are one of the most famous bands.

The only sensible thing you've said.

Now please leave and go deaf or something.

You think he is a music god and you think he is the most famous person in the planet, yet Im saying outlandish things.
laugh.gif

*Going to go deaf now*

PLVN wrote:
Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

If you consider yourself a well rounded fan of music or if you claim to listen to a wide variety of musical genres and you don't know Paul McCartney then its not OK.

Please entertain me Shoe F. Baby.

If Paul McCartney isn't a music god then who is?

*fingers crossed for Kanye.

Back
Top Bottom