is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Yeah you're a troll. If you can't tell the difference between the post PLAN quoted and what you said he said there's a problem.

TrollLife in full effect. I've begun to question if you're even truly a female. Did NTers already grill the hell out of you until you posted a pic? Something's fishy here. All these threads I'm seeing you in with these kind of posts, something aint right.

Originally Posted by PLVN

Please entertain me Shoe F. Baby.

If Paul McCartney isn't a music god then who is?

*fingers crossed for Kanye.

Paul M alone is not a "music god"
You refuse to realize that its the beetles that are known at large, lets keep it real and ask everyone here to name a only Paul M song.

No beatles, no MJ, NO stevie wonder.

Off my head I can only think of two. "maybe Im amazed" and his" Have a merry christmas"

I dont think anyone one is a music god

Just for the record, I'm not a teenager, I'm well into my twenties.

Some of you really need to chill with the sense of all knowing. It's a bad look, there's something you don't know, that makes someone somewhere shake their head in disgust.

his group is... i respect and like him but i understand how why ppl think how they think and alot of it like dc said is social/race bias.... mj is seen as one of the greatest yet he didnt have the greatest voice, couldnt play a instrument, and didnt right his on songs... yet like i said prince who self taught 20+ instruments. wrote/compose over 1000 songs, isnt praised or seen in the same light. its all on who you are what you know and what you been exposed to

Bottom line, I don't care that a kid hasn't heard of something that doesn't really help them in life in the grand scheme of just...staying alive, protecting your rights, and making a living.

...this would be different if everyone who posted in this thread made music for a living...and even then, its not THAT serious depending on the genre you subscribe to.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Bottom line, I don't care that a kid hasn't heard of something that doesn't really help them in life in the grand scheme of just...staying alive, protecting your rights, and making a living.

...this would be different if everyone who posted in this thread made music for a living...and even then, its not THAT serious depending on the genre you subscribe to.

even then it wouldnt matter word to soujah boy comming out and saying he like the ogs of rap aka lil wayne, jay z etc... and im pretty sure he made a success of himself

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

By the way OP it is Mick Jagger not Mccjagger fyi.

For the Beatles fans who think I'm ignorant, how many of you know anything about the album in this guys avy or the genius behind it?

Especially since it has been sampled so many times by artists that NT loves. 
nerd.gif

The Beatles have only cleared one sample.

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

You refuse to realize that its the beetles that are known at large, lets keep it real and ask everyone here to name a only Paul M song.

No beetles, no MJ, NO stevie wonder.

Off my head I can only think of two. "maybe Im amazed" and his" Have a merry christmas"

paul McCartney is a music god
mccartney had like 7 number one billboard albums after the Beatles

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

i mean we shouldnt go by accolades cause again thats racial bias and bandwagon jumping... mc hammer sold more then biggie is he a better rapper? waaay left field brittany spears or hell ashlee simpson has more hits then india arie... but is she better... i mean one didnt even sing write etc their on music and was caght red handed so....

By the way OP it is Mick Jagger not Mccjagger fyi.

For the Beatles fans who think I'm ignorant, how many of you know anything about the album in this guys avy or the genius behind it?

You mean the Headhunters? Herbie Hancock's band? That's the album with "Chameleon" and "Vein Melter" on it correct? Those VM drums have been sampled a lot, but the Headhunters most famous and most sampled drum break is "God Make Me Funky" from "Survival of the Fittest"

/sense of all knowing

I don't think you're ignorant though. I haven't read the entire thread, but as long as you're willing to educate yourself on Paul's contributions and legacy, I see no real problem with not knowing who he is.

Now if you were keeping yourself in a self imposed state of obliviousness, that wouldn't be very good.

Some of you really need to chill with the sense of all knowing. It's a bad look, there's something you don't know, that makes someone somewhere shake their head in disgust.

....nah, its not a bad look, thats just your generations guilt trip and raction to embarassment.

...its not a sense of all knowing, thats just how your generation takes it.

.....its more about:

having an open mind that you dont know everything and willing to learn
vs.
taking a glance at an artist that came out before you were born and brushing them to the side like coming out before you were born takes away from the music

.....how idiotic would it have been of me as a teenager to expierience Al Green for the first time roll my eyes and say, who the ++#* is Al Green? he aint got $*!* on this new dude R. Kelly?

^ i was intelligent enough to be able to appreciate BOTH. something this newer generation has a hard time doing. makes NO apologies for, and even brags about
laugh.gif

...and NO, this doesnt happen with every new generation. my generation appreciated the greats. i have no idea what happened with this new bunch
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LDJ

i mean we shouldnt go by accolades cause again thats racial bias and bandwagon jumping... mc hammer sold more then biggie is he a better rapper? waaay left field brittany spears or hell ashlee simpson has more hits then india arie... but is she better... i mean one didnt even sing write etc their on music and was caght red handed so....
actually that is the way it is. they are better artists because more people like their music and more people listen to it. and biggie only had 2 albums before death and 1 after and hammer got a bigger hit than biggie so thats not really a fair comparison.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

....nah, its not a bad look, thats just your generations guilt trip and raction to embarassment.

.....its more about:

vs.
taking a glance at an artist that came out before you were born and brushing them to the side like coming out before you were born takes away from the music

.....how idiotic would it have been of me as a teenager to expierience Al Green for the first time roll my eyes and say, who the ++#* is Al Green? he aint got $*!* on this new dude R. Kelly?

^ i was intelligent enough to be able to appreciate BOTH. something this newer generation has a hard time doing. makes NO apologies for, and even brags about
laugh.gif

...and NO, this doesnt happen with every new generation. my generation appreciated the greats. i have no idea what happened with this new bunch
30t6p3b.gif

This is the problem with dealing with the bias on this topic.
When I grew up, I had ONLY the radio to listen to until MP3s got really popular and online streaming was available to listen to radio stations in other parts of the country.

Kids today have way more music and can develop more cult followings of underground acts more than they could ever before. 

In the past, you were forced to listen to whatever was on the radio, and that usually consisted of a lot of music from previous generations. 

I can honestly say that the ONLY reason I know about the names from the 70s and even the 60s is because growing up thats what we listened to...and I had NO alternative.

Now, there is no barrier to the array of music thats available. 

Give me a laptop with the access I have now in the mid-90s when I started paying attention to music and it would be a WRAP. I doubt i'd ever go back more than 10-15 years tops just to keep up with all the stuff thats coming out now. 

The point is, why listen to the oldies when there are literally HUNDREDS of new songs released daily in dozens of genres across thousands of blogs and other sources.

The diversity is too great to want to force people to accept the past so far back.

It would be nice, but its unrealistic, and its not an inherent obligation of the consumer either. 

.....its more about:

vs.

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

My man you're a sad, angry individual. You put it on display for the entire forum to see on a regular basis. Are you really a piece of %%** in real life too?
laugh.gif

I don't give a flying $%%* what you think about anything, especially not me. You're a clown, I have absolutely zero respect for you as a human being.

My generation? You're what? 5 years older than me?
laugh.gif

The point is, why listen to the oldies when there are literally HUNDREDS of new songs released daily in dozens of genres across thousands of blogs and other sources.

If someone is an open minded fan of music, they don't care when the music came out...just as long as it's good.

I mean...The Beatles Rock Band come out a few years ago right? I doubt that would have been released if the mentality of the youth was what you believe it to be.

Paul is successful and I am not denying that,but all of this has to do with culture. 
I cannot name one of his solo albums, but I can name the beatles albums, and I can name George Harrison's album.

It is what it is

I didn't read through this entire thread but based on what I did read I will say this:

Some of y'all have no concept of what it's like to grow up in the hood. I personally know dozens of people that, if I asked them who Paul McCartney was would tell me that they have no idea. Some of the people in their 30s might remember that he was on Thriller. Maybe. But that would be essentially their only reference for him. This does not make them bad or stupid people. McCartney and the Beatles were never relevant to their lives or to the lives of the people they grew up around or to the larger Black community in general. Especially for those born in the 80s and 90s.

I fail to understand how people don't seem to be able to grasp this...

.....its more about:

vs.

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

When I grew up, I had ONLY the radio to listen to until MP3s got really popular and online streaming was available to listen to radio stations in other parts of the country.

Kids today have way more music and can develop more cult followings of underground acts more than they could ever before. 

In the past, you were forced to listen to whatever was on the radio, and that usually consisted of a lot of music from previous generations. 

I can honestly say that the ONLY reason I know about the names from the 70s and even the 60s is because growing up thats what we listened to...and I had NO alternative.

Give me a laptop with the access I have now in the mid-90s when I started paying attention to music and it would be a WRAP. I doubt i'd ever go back more than 10-15 years tops just to keep up with all the stuff thats coming out now. 

The diversity is too great to want to force people to accept the past so far back.

It would be nice, but its unrealistic, and its not an inherent obligation of the consumer either. 

.....interesting points made.

.....however, i can tell you, when i was exposed to greats like The Isleys, Al Green, James Brown, etc. it wasnt through the radio thats for sure. the radio back then did what the radio does now......play the same top 40 songs over and over and over.

...i dont quite remember how i came upon those artists i listed, but when i did i liked it and looked for more. i sure didnt discount it or mock it by calling it 'my grandfathers music' while moving on to something new, thats for sure.

Originally Posted by hugebird

I think it's okay to not know who Paul McCartney is, because at this point we all don't know who he is, since he has been dead for 45 years.
thats a different discussion for a different thread, but i was always fascinated with this possibility....
nerd.gif

a55a5in11 wrote:
Originally Posted by LDJ

a55a5in11 wrote:

actually that is the way it is. they are better artists because more people like their music and more people listen to it. and biggie only had 2 albums before death and 1 after and hammer got a bigger hit than biggie so thats not really a fair comparison.

which im saying doesnt make it truth... esp in the ashlee simpson or milli vanilli aspect they didnt even write etc perform the music so how can they be better if they didnt do anything. rhianna has sold more then fiona but one has here songs written for her, music produced for her etc... so how does that make a person a better artist if artistry is the work of art you did but you didnt even do it?  

Originally Posted by LDJ

a55a5in11 wrote:
Originally Posted by LDJ

which im saying doesnt make it truth... esp in the ashlee simpson or milli vanilli aspect they didnt even write etc perform the music so how can they be better if they didnt do anything. rhianna has sold more then fiona but one has here songs written for her, music produced for her etc... so how does that make a person a better artist if artistry is the work of art you did but you didnt even do it?  
well paul mccartney writes his own music soo... i dont see what you are getting at. your just proving my point.
but in the entertainment industry your measured off how much your peers enjoy listening to you compared to others. people for some reason choose rihanna and Brittany over fiona. 

.....its more about:

vs.

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

.....interesting points made.

.....however, i can tell you, when i was exposed to greats like The Isleys, Al Green, James Brown, etc. it wasnt through the radio thats for sure. the radio back then did what the radio does now......play the same top 40 songs over and over and over.

...i dont quite remember how i came upon those artists i listed, but when i did i liked it and looked for more. i sure didnt discount it or mock it by calling it 'my grandfathers music' while moving on to something new, thats for sure.

This is the case with "history" in general and its relevancy in understanding things...
You could reasonable also argue that learning about what the founders wanted for the USA is ultimately pointless since we're living now and things have changed...but the fact of of the matter is...

SO WHAT?

People are so hung up on "respect" for the past that they forget that its all subjective.

We're talking about music here...not war history, not public policy, not the economy, etc.

Its something that is only meant to connect with certain people. Its not universal, in the slightest sense. Even if its a popular song, there will be people who will have never heard it and can't be faulted for that. 

You can talk about cultural capital and the need to be well-rounded, but thats a social construct and not something that is essential to navigating through life.

I can't name very many blues artists but I damn sure do love my classic jazz and those who carry on those traditions. 

I can appreciate those names you listed and I love their music...but I don't like it...beacuse other people liked it. I like it because it sounds damn good. There are tons of lesser known artists from that era that don't get any shine, but I don't hear you talking about them? I mean lets be honest...those were the equivalents of the Rihannas, Kanyes, and Katy Perry's of today. Huge Pop(ular) artists that influenced many many artists because of the limits of the time and the access to stages one had to have to even be famous. Thats it.

You should be free to mock whatever music you want and embrace whatever music you want.

I got as much love for Gucci and Jeezy as I do for Talib and Mos Def and the Roots. Its about whatever YOU like.

Thats why I say rap-fans can be some of the most hypocritical consumers on the planet. They're always looking for new artists to pay homage. This isn't a damn mafia. New comers are just itching for their chance to make it, now you want to tell them that they should listen to Biggie and Nas? Why? Why should they? They got here doing them in the first place, now you want to force them to go back? They clearly were doing fine without your opinion. It would be NICE if they did that, but by no means are they OBLIGATED to. There isn't a rule stating that one must appreciate prior content.

As a consumer, I care ONLY if it sounds good. 

Its the elitist in your heart thats clouding your judgment homie. 

Remember, for every Al Green or James Brown, there was probably a lesser known version of him that did it x10 better but never got that shine. You're not doing a service to yourself to only remember the famous names. Those are just popular acts made to appeal to wide swaths of people...thats like going 50 years from now and telling the new pop princess to do her homework on Rihanna or Gaga. 

As a black man growing up in a jamaican family I slightly felt ashamed that I didn't have those popular white references of Zepplin, or The RollingStones, or the Eagles, or Bruce Springsteen or those other super huge names of bands that seemingly everyone else knew about. 

It wasn't until I was older that I said, screw it. if I didn't get introduced to it, or didn't grow up around then who cares. I'm it only for what I love to listen to. I bet those white kids didn't know about Marley, Bunny Wailer, Dennis Brown, Barrington Levy, Buju, etc. All great artists in their own right. 

I didn't grow up during the thriving eras of jazz in the 50s and 60s, but I yearn for that music like no other...its real to me...but it doesn't prevent me from listening to newer cats like Esperanza Spalding or Marsalis. 

For every name you list, I can show you a longer list of artists you've NEVER heard of and ask why you don't know them. 

Back
Top Bottom