is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Originally Posted by Regis

This reminds me of that thread where those fat dudes made a video at a sneaker campout and started asking the people online all sorts of sneaker and basketball trivia and started laughing at the people who didnt know.
You guys remember how lame we thought those dudes were for doing that?

Guess what?
Dude you get into arguments with that ******ed "dana" "I get bunz kid". No one gives a damn what you have to say 

Originally Posted by AG 47

And Paul hasnt been relevant in ages

This is kind of what I was getting at. Sure, he may still sellout shows, but so does Dipset. But does that mean they're gaining new fans? Are we hearing Paul's new song on the radio? Or his latest whatever whatever. Nope.

Not to mention his "contribution to society." Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thing he's done for my society.
It's not like we're asking you should know every single and album Paul ever had but simply knowing Paul Mccartney was in the Beatles, worked with MJ, and I dunno maybe some other miscellaneous fact about how/why the Beatles broke up should be somewhat common knowledge. To me knowing his name is the same as knowing who Elvis, Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, etc are. Their iconic names in music.

It's not like ppl were saying you're ignorant if you don't know who Ringo is.

And I understand what you're saying in regards to how you grew up but at some point when you're exploring music don't you kinda search out some new music and artists. I don't know the individual names to a lot of Rock bands so I'm sure we'd be in the same boat if somebody asked about names of members in Queen or Kiss or ZZ Top.

Originally Posted by cap1229

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

Especially since it has been sampled so many times by artists that NT loves. 
nerd.gif

Herbie Hancock deserves respect.

Survival of the Fittest.
Shook Ones pt. 2
pimp.gif

This reminds me of that thread where those fat dudes made a video at a sneaker campout and started asking the people online all sorts of sneaker and basketball trivia and started laughing at the people who didnt know.

Guess what?

exactly, I edited my post bro b4 I saw this, but this is exactly what it is. People being snobs. 

Originally Posted by blakep267

Guess what?

exactly, I edited my post bro b4 I saw this, but this is exactly what it is. People being snobs. 

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

And Paul hasnt been relevant in ages

This is kind of what I was getting at. Sure, he may still sellout shows, but so does Dipset. But does that mean they're gaining new fans? Are we hearing Paul's new song on the radio? Or his latest whatever whatever. Nope.

Not to mention his "contribution to society." Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thing he's done for my society.
It's not like we're asking you should know every single and album Paul ever had but simply knowing Paul Mccartney was in the Beatles, worked with MJ, and I dunno maybe some other miscellaneous fact about how/why the Beatles broke up should be somewhat common knowledge. To me knowing his name is the same as knowing who Elvis, Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, etc are. Their iconic names in music.

I get what you're saying. I really do. But what what has Paul McCartney done recently or even in the past decade to gain a new fan? It's not like you could turn on Power 106 or your favorite radio station and hear the new Paul McCartney single. It's a different era and unfortunately, kids born in the early 90s may not even know those people you knew...no matter how iconic they may be to music history. Their world is what they hear today and today only. You simply can't expect everybody to know just because you do.

Pffft... in the grand scheme of things it means absolutely nothing.

I mean... I know who he is and I even own a few copies of his first solo LP,but like I said before... it means nothing.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by StillIn729

you just refuse to ever take an L (you do take many on here) so instead you change the argument every time you reply and repeat...it's clear you just like to argue with people on here 
I mean you referenced the Beatles to B2K, enough said 
laugh.gif
I didn't change any argument. The ORIGINAL statement was a 17 year old didn't know Whitney. You then said Paul has never left the limelight. I didn't change ANYTHING.
So again I ask, what has Paul done within the last 15 years that would cause THAT 17 year old to know who the hell he is?

I will continue to wait. 

Continue to dodge the discussion and throw insults in my direction. I see your game cuz.

so being on the radio is the only to be relevant? well damn Omarion is a god damn legend
I already answered your question but you want to ignore that part

and this wasn't a huge campaign by Apple but then again 17 year olds don't go into Apple stores or use iTunes...they buy cd's at FYE

10s93et.jpg

Guess what?
Umm, it's absolutely nothing like it. Your argument would actually make sense if it were people in here asking specific questions about Paul McCartney. Also, the guys were queuing up for a pair of Jordans and were being asked questions about... Jordan. This is one of the poorest reaches i've seen.

LOL So an Apple Campaign = Relevance. Last time I checked it was the Beetles not Paul. But ok.

Point Blank dude, Paul McCartney has not been relevant within the last 15 years. So a 17 year old not knowing of his existence isn't a sin even though you are trying very hard to say otherwise. Going on tour doesn't equate relevance. Having a commercial isn't relevance. But you got it dude.

To me knowing his name is the same as knowing who Elvis, Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, etc are. Their iconic names in music.

I agree with this. To not know these names and be a big fan of music is ridiculous to me. If this is being a snob, so be it. But I shudder at what you guys would call the hipsters who read Pitchfork. 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Agreed. Everyone doesn't know everyone. How anyone could argue otherwise is beyond me. 
But again, if a basketball fan doesn't know Bill Russell, wouldn't that say something to you in the grand scheme of things? 

so shouldnt this question the whole jeremy lin phenom... lets be honest the avg person esp of his race who proclaims to be a fan of bball etc couldnt/dont know about the greats yet if this is said and its obvious truth in this it is seen as being a hater....

And? When did I say the entire Lin bandwagon consisted of well-versed basketball fans? 

not saying you just gen.. speaking.  its still crazy this thread has gone this long with the man name spelled wrong

I get what you're saying. I really do. But what what has Paul McCartney done recently or even in the past decade to gain a new fan? It's not like you could turn on Power 106 or your favorite radio station and hear the new Paul McCartney single. It's a different era and unfortunately, kids born in the early 90s may not even know those people you knew...no matter how iconic they may be to music history. Their world is what they hear today and today only. You simply can't expect everybody to know just because you do.
Not a damn thing I can recall. At one point a few years back I'm pretty sure I thought dude died. I'm just going off that twitter screen shot in the other thread with all those ppl asking who he was. If I see dude's face I can at least name him. I know what the old Paul McCartney looks like. He was in the news for something in the past 2 years a divorce or marriage or something and I'm not even an avid watcher of the news.

It's not really about what he's done recently cuz if it was just that it'd be perfectly understandable. If the lead singer for the Commodores sprang up on stage I wouldn't know who the %%%! I was looking at. Not knowing who Paul McCartney is while he's performing on stage to me would be similar to if they brought out James Brown and ppl were like "who the +%!+ is James Brown? Isn't he the guy who hosts the football half time show on FOX?"

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

LOL So an Apple Campaign = Relevance. Last time I checked it was the Beetles not Paul. But ok.

Point Blank dude, Paul McCartney has not been relevant within the last 15 years. So a 17 year old not knowing of his existence isn't a sin even though you are trying very hard to say otherwise. Going on tour doesn't equate relevance. Having a commercial isn't relevance. But you got it dude.

it's Beatles and relevance is only radio play in your head...glad you took the L 

Guess what?
Dude you get into arguments with that ******ed "dana" "I get bunz kid". No one gives a damn what you have to say 
please_hammer.jpg

All I gotta say is that the music has taken people based on their life, almost like nature vs. nurture. in one of those VH1 specials of 100 greatest artists they spanned every genre and eventually named the Beatles or Michael Jackson #1 or 2 can't remember which but i digress. During commercial breaks the artists during the interview had shown their own top 5 list and i noticed very easily that artists on one spectrum only acknowledged artists on the same spectrum. Big Boi's list included MJ, Saide, Run DMC and other R&B people, while Alice Coopers list included Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Beatles, Queen and others. I don't need to know Big Boi's biography to know that R&B, and Rap influenced a future rapper just as those artists affected Alice Cooper in his way. It is what it is... and as AG 47 said there are iconic people in music that must respected and known, the Beatles are one of them

laugh.gif
at the thought of me making a mutual point and some people won't know who Alice Cooper is

If you ask kids who aren't fans of old music then it's not that surprising that they don't know who he is.  He's a cultural icon but people are making too big of a deal about it.  Just because a person feels it's important to know who he is, doesn't mean it's important for other people.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

It's ok not to know who Paul McCartney is. It's not ok to want people to respect your musical opinion afterwards though. That's like wanting to talk politics but not knowing who Abe Lincoln is. In general you should be knowledgeable of people who have had historical impact in all walks of life. It's called being well-rounded.

well said. 

Guess what?

But I know who Paul McCartney is. Im worthy of being listened to.

Sit down bro.

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Guess what?
Umm, it's absolutely nothing like it. Your argument would actually make sense if it were people in here asking specific questions about Paul McCartney. Also, the guys were queuing up for a pair of Jordans and were being asked questions about... Jordan. This is one of the poorest reaches i've seen.

In one thread people were being made fun of because kids didnt know something that other people felt they shouldve known.

In another thread people were told theyre ignorant because kids didnt know something that other people felt they shouldve known.

You right bro. I be on some wild *$#* sometimes.

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

In one thread people were being made fun of because kids didnt know something that other people felt they shouldve known.

In another thread people were told theyre ignorant because kids didnt know something that other people felt they shouldve known.

You right bro. I be on some wild *$#* sometimes.
Way to generalise it, into making it seem like you're actually right.
laugh.gif

If we simplied everything to the level you just did, then we could pretty much draw a direct relationship between almost any two points.

laugh.gif

Philbin, if a professed ardent fan of the NFL (you are part of gang green right?) didn't know who Joe Namath was, would that not register in your mind? Would that not be ridiculous to you? Th most famous player in Jets history and this guy doesn't even recognize the name.

That's all I'm getting at. That same fan wouldn't have to know about Namath's alma mater or state of birth. Just recognizing the name shows a certain breadth of knowledge and vice versa. This is what I would feel if a big fan of music told me he didn't recognize the name Paul McCartney. 

It's ridiculous for you guys to say "If you know who Elvis is you should know who Paul McCartney is" Elvis himself is known for his trademark grunt and phrases... He's been reenacted on countless shows 'Saved by the bell' 'Fresh Prince' 'Boy Meets World' this list goes on. His namesake and image far exceed that of Paul Mccartney.

DC's arguments have gotten to the point of that they're nothing more than a sideshow
laugh.gif
Dude makes the worst comparisons/uses metaphors that make no sense
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom