Is the era of the 50-60+ point scorers over in the NBA?

Brandon Jennings had a 55 point game last season.

It really depends on the right player catching fire at the right time, and being in a situation where their team requires them to take the majority of their shots and play the majority of the game.

It would be cool to see carmelo do it right before he gets traded from denver

It would be cool to see carmelo do it right before he gets traded from denver

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

I get what you're saying OP, but I think someone dropping 60+ points in an NBA is still very much a possibility. You don't need a superstar per se to drop 60 points. You can have an "all-star" type player do it.

I do agree with you that a lot of players these days are more team orientated, but there will always be someone looking to score 60+ points.
It's always a possibility with talented players in the NBA, but no one's doing it like Kobe, Iverson, T-Mac, etc. did for all those years, and Mike before them. Either the stars or team oriented these days, or they just don't have the ability to do it "consistently" in terms of how often Kobe and AI did.
Jennings is definitely a guy who would explode for 50-60+ points every few weeks and look like the 2006 Kobe - if he could. He's not there yet, but he would have that mentality if he had the ability.

I guess what I'm saying is either players no longer have that mentality every night or the ones that do (Jennings, Nick Young, Rudy Gay) don't really have the ability.

They have the ability to drop 60, but it's just a matter of will they be needed to drop 60? A lot of players in the NBA can score and some can score at will, but with the different offensive gamplans and defensive schmes that players have to see on a nightly basis--It wont be common to see.

I think we'll see a 60 point game soon though, if not then def another 50+ point game. Idk if this is true, but I think every year since the NBA's existence--someone dropped 50+ points in a game.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

I get what you're saying OP, but I think someone dropping 60+ points in an NBA is still very much a possibility. You don't need a superstar per se to drop 60 points. You can have an "all-star" type player do it.

I do agree with you that a lot of players these days are more team orientated, but there will always be someone looking to score 60+ points.
It's always a possibility with talented players in the NBA, but no one's doing it like Kobe, Iverson, T-Mac, etc. did for all those years, and Mike before them. Either the stars or team oriented these days, or they just don't have the ability to do it "consistently" in terms of how often Kobe and AI did.
Jennings is definitely a guy who would explode for 50-60+ points every few weeks and look like the 2006 Kobe - if he could. He's not there yet, but he would have that mentality if he had the ability.

I guess what I'm saying is either players no longer have that mentality every night or the ones that do (Jennings, Nick Young, Rudy Gay) don't really have the ability.

They have the ability to drop 60, but it's just a matter of will they be needed to drop 60? A lot of players in the NBA can score and some can score at will, but with the different offensive gamplans and defensive schmes that players have to see on a nightly basis--It wont be common to see.

I think we'll see a 60 point game soon though, if not then def another 50+ point game. Idk if this is true, but I think every year since the NBA's existence--someone dropped 50+ points in a game.

I just think it's hilarious to be nostalgic for something that has happened five times this decade.

I just think it's hilarious to be nostalgic for something that has happened five times this decade.

This question makes no sense. Think about it. The feat of going over 60 has only been accomplished 62 times by 20 different players. ONLY 20. The NBA was founded in 1948. Nowadays, the league has around 400+ players in it at any given time.

So therefore, this feat can be seen as simply a fluke, done by exceptionally skilled and dominating players. Just because we haven't seen it in a year (Kob at MSG), doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Consider this, in between The Admiral dropping 60+ and Shaq dropping 60+ there was a 6 YEAR GAP ('94-'00). It's been done 7 times since 2005, and Kobe has 5 of them, which is why your perception of the "era" being over is what it is. If an all-time talent is in a conducive situation for his scoring, you'll see it happen.

This question makes no sense. Think about it. The feat of going over 60 has only been accomplished 62 times by 20 different players. ONLY 20. The NBA was founded in 1948. Nowadays, the league has around 400+ players in it at any given time.

So therefore, this feat can be seen as simply a fluke, done by exceptionally skilled and dominating players. Just because we haven't seen it in a year (Kob at MSG), doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Consider this, in between The Admiral dropping 60+ and Shaq dropping 60+ there was a 6 YEAR GAP ('94-'00). It's been done 7 times since 2005, and Kobe has 5 of them, which is why your perception of the "era" being over is what it is. If an all-time talent is in a conducive situation for his scoring, you'll see it happen.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

I think this is the general consensus with the thread.

Is it?

You don't need a superstar perse to drop 60 points. You can have an "all-star" type player do it. The best examples I can come up with are Brandon Jennings and MontaEllis. Those guys usually are score first players.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...th_most_points_in_a_game

The only player on that list without hall of fame credentials is Tom Chambers. So no, chances are neither Jennings nor Ellis is dropping 60 anytime soon. It's just not something lower-tier stars can do.

Is it?

You don't need a superstar perse to drop 60 points. You can have an "all-star" type player do it. The best examples I can come up with are Brandon Jennings and MontaEllis. Those guys usually are score first players.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...th_most_points_in_a_game

The only player on that list without hall of fame credentials is Tom Chambers. So no, chances are neither Jennings nor Ellis is dropping 60 anytime soon. It's just not something lower-tier stars can do.

I clarified my question in the OP - will we ever see a player put up big numbers (not necessarily 60) "CONSISTENTLY" anymore?

Nobody's scoring like Kobe did in 06-07, Iverson in 03-06, etc. where they would post 50+ every few weeks.

Rudy, Jennings, Amare all have the talent to put up 55, but not the ability to do it frequently is what I'm saying.

I clarified my question in the OP - will we ever see a player put up big numbers (not necessarily 60) "CONSISTENTLY" anymore?

Nobody's scoring like Kobe did in 06-07, Iverson in 03-06, etc. where they would post 50+ every few weeks.

Rudy, Jennings, Amare all have the talent to put up 55, but not the ability to do it frequently is what I'm saying.

Not sure what you mean. It's a slightly down year among the top scorers (tops is KD around 27 compared to 30 last year), points per game wise, but that's it. Kevin Durant? Eric Gordon? Blake Griffin? Derrick Rose? All of these guys and plenty others will have explosive scoring years before their careers are over.

Not sure what you mean. It's a slightly down year among the top scorers (tops is KD around 27 compared to 30 last year), points per game wise, but that's it. Kevin Durant? Eric Gordon? Blake Griffin? Derrick Rose? All of these guys and plenty others will have explosive scoring years before their careers are over.

it's just a matter of time before Carmelo hits 60
and yes Carmelo could put 40+ on a nightly basis but his team has always been good
so there's never been a need

and yes Carmelo could put 40+ on a nightly basis but his team has always been good

Originally Posted by third

Right. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by third

Right. 
wink.gif

Carmelo is just about the only person that has the ability to do this. He's the best pure scorer in the NBA.

Carmelo is just about the only person that has the ability to do this. He's the best pure scorer in the NBA.

Players have better teams now with more scoring options on those teams. Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, etc. didn't have other guys that needed to get involved. In 2003, Philly's second best scorer was Kenny Thomas. Orlando's was Juwan Howard. Kobe had the passive Odom a few years ago. Today, the best scorers have other scorers on their teams. Kobe has Pau, Durant has Westbrook, Lebron has Wade, and the list goes on.

Only three players are averaging over 25 ppg as of today because of this.

Players have better teams now with more scoring options on those teams. Kobe, Iverson, McGrady, etc. didn't have other guys that needed to get involved. In 2003, Philly's second best scorer was Kenny Thomas. Orlando's was Juwan Howard. Kobe had the passive Odom a few years ago. Today, the best scorers have other scorers on their teams. Kobe has Pau, Durant has Westbrook, Lebron has Wade, and the list goes on.

Only three players are averaging over 25 ppg as of today because of this.

Back
Top Bottom