Many Saints of Newark - Sopranos prequel

Nice call back. Def wish it was longer and followed up on those characters. They set it up really well for that to be a seasons premier rather than a stand alone film. Hope they follow up on it, because the base of what they have is great there. A lot of attention to detail and subtle ****. Chris father and his temper tying into Chris story is dope for real.

They need to go head and get these folks who made this, and make it a series. This was good if we looking at it as a intro to a prequel series. Which it should be

Just finished it up on HBO.

It was cool to see a lot of these characters in their time before the TV show. The casting for Silvio was absolutely brilliant. The head lean, the hunched walk, the scowl….WOW! Junior busting balls like always :lol:

Overall, I hate to say it but this was a pretty meh movie overall. I didn’t hate it but it wasn’t very good. It’s pretty uneventful in terms of the TV show and it is very minimal about Tony (which is what you’d be lead to believe). It started out strong for me but never picked up or even maintained. The biggest part that made no sense to me was some of the glaring differences from the story in the show:

*Spoiler alert (not really spoilers but details)*

Dickie was said to have been an addict in the TV show, definitely not the case here. Also in the show, Tony remembers that Dickie was killed because of a beef with Jilly Ruffalo, a man he was in prison with. Jilly murdered Dickie's cell mate and Dickie gouged out his eye in revenge. Definitely not the case in the movie

In all honesty the ending would’ve been great for the beginning of the movie we THOUGHT this would be about. So maybe it’s just part 1 of a 2-3 part set?
Yea man that threw me off how he got taken out in the movie.

movie was very meh

whatever happened there…was blundetto in the movie? I assumed the kid he fought with was Jackie

I think animal blundetto is the kid in the backseat w/ Tony that made the racist taunt @ Harold when they were in the car w/ Dickie. Also the kid that stole the ice cream truck w/ Tony and Artie.

Dickie's wife mentioned him by name and referred to him as "Janice's cousin" when they were in the car w/ Johnny Boy and Livia.

I really enjoyed it, the call backs were solid. I do hope they make another film because seeing Tony and Jackie Sr. take down Feech’s card game would be sick. It’s because Tony and Jackie Sr. get a pass that we see them make the transition into the life.

If you like the sopranos, you will be sorely disappointed with this film. And I'm also not sure why they try and sprinkle a white guilt agenda all over this like Parmigiano on a plate of rigatoni

Won't be able to watch tonight, will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday :ohwell: .

Ended up watching Friday. It was cool for 'what it was' but was not very good.

I don't think it was really marketed as being solely about Tony. I think the fact that Gandolfini's son was playing the young Tony accounted for a lot of hype and attention but that didn't mean that the film was mostly about him. They made it very clear that it was going to be about Christopher's father very early on. And when they added that "A Sopranos Story" subtitle, I think it drove the point closer to home. Especially in this age of the "Story Films". Movies like El Camino or Rogue One, which are part of the Breaking Bad and Star Wars universes, but don't necessarily revolve around the main characters in those universes (well, Jesse is a main character but what I mean is that Walt is the central character of BB).

Fair point on El Camino & Rogue One. I have not seen Rogue One, but El Camino sucked.

Movie seemed rushed and a bit disappointing. Some good nod's/recalls to the show and some interesting developments but nothing spectacular. Hoping they follow up with another but not sure how realistic that is unless they already have the actors under contract.

Seems like they might be setting up Harold McBrayer (Leslie Odom Jr) to possibly getting his own spin off tho.
Especially during the credits when they showed him moving into the new neighborhood conveying that his story has only begun.

As a regular Hollywood movie this is average at best. 6 out of 10.

As a a part of Sopranos lore, absolute dog crap, terrible. 4 out of 10.

Movie was alright. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Like the references to the show ( like the varsity athlete joke, the brief appearance of uncle Eckley, and johnny boy Soprano shootig Livia in the hair) but other than that this didn't add anything to the lore of The Sopranos. Kind of pointless movie.

That’s how I felt about El Camino.

This Sopranos movie was way better in comparison to that tho :lol:

I think animal blundetto is the kid in the backseat w/ Tony that made the racist taunt @ Harold when they were in the car w/ Dickie. Also the kid that stole the ice cream truck w/ Tony and Artie.

Dickie's wife mentioned him by name and referred to him as "Janice's cousin" when they were in the car w/ Johnny Boy and Livia.

I had this mixed up. Animal Blundetto IS the kid holding down the ice cream driver w/ Tony...but it's Artie who made the racist taunt @ Harold and the one driving the truck.

It was ok, it wasn't El Camino or Deadwood entertaining or interesting to me.

It was totally unnecessary. It would have been better as a series or limited series. You're left with more questions than it answered. I thought the focus was going to be more Tony, but it was unnecessary characters you didn't know or care about. It was cool seeing BP, Paulie...

Junior has always been that way and it wasn't just age with Tony's mom 🤷‍♂️

Christopher had hostility towards Tony, but not Junior? Voice over didn't make sense.

It was ok, it wasn't El Camino or Deadwood entertaining or interesting to me.

It was totally unnecessary. It would have been better as a series or limited series. You're left with more questions than it answered. I thought the focus was going to be more Tony, but it was unnecessary characters you didn't know or care about. It was cool seeing BP, Paulie...

Junior has always been that way and it wasn't just age with Tony's mom 🤷‍♂️

Christopher had hostility towards Tony, but not Junior? Voice over didn't make sense.
I guess even in death Christopher never knew that Junior had his father killed (hell, tony probably never knew either). Tony has always lied to Christopher about his father as a way to keep him in line. And it all culminated when Tony showed chris the cop and told him that was the man that killed Dickie. But I have to agree, the VO was kinda out of place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom